Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

diamond dog posted:

say it's green

You're talking about a country that says "blue" when referring to green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
You're all crazy, looking for a twist that isn't therehailsatan.
Seriously you're all way offilluminati911wasaninside job.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
#NeverBeGameOver

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

NeilPerry posted:

You're talking about a country that says "blue" when referring to green.

Also a country that has an extensive vocabulary for the blue-green spectrum. That means they can tell the difference between shades regardless of what they call them. I also doubt the entire dev team and QA staff were born prior to 1950 when it was still reasonable to grow up not thinking green is a thing, and nobody spotted the helicopter light being a very incorrect shade (it's off by around RGB(-40,-80,-170)) in an important cutscene.

Why are all the starboard lights in the game inexplicably blue? Because one of them isn't.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

diamond dog posted:

say it's green

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
rewatched the video again and I'm pretty sure the color is actually brown, not orange. Sorry, I know that this opens up a whole new potential conspiracy. :tinfoil:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Wtf happened to this thread

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
i feel blue

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've done it. I've built my nuclear weapon. Not only that, but other nuke havers are beginning to appear in my FOB missions list. Soon I shall harvest even more nukes from these fools.

The world shall fear us all.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The Grimace posted:

it's orange!!

The machine would not make a mistake.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Modest Mao posted:

wow I read on to discover you must be trolling

Cool things Ocelot did in MGS5:

1) comes from literally nowhere to pick you up during the prologue, he wasn't even in Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes
2) gets licked by a puppy

Things Ocelot never did once:

1) Shoot a loving revolver

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

1) comes from literally nowhere to pick you up during the prologue, he wasn't even in Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes

Things Ocelot Does In MGS5:

Literally gives Big Boss' Speech On Revolvers To A Recruit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The revolvers he had don't even count. They shoot loving shotgun shells.

I mean, I guess if he could ricochet each piece of buckshot individually and hit multiple targets at once that might make up for it. But as you said, he never shoots a revolver.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He shoots his revolver at the ceiling during Huey's trial!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He’s called Revolver Ocelot because when you see his dull characterisation you revolve 360 degrees and walk away.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He’s called Revolver Ocelot because when you see his dull characterisation you revolve 360 degrees and walk away.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He shoots his revolver at the ceiling during Huey's trial!

Yeah, I remembered this during my initial complain. Reposted from 100 pages ago:

my dumb ideas about Ocelot posted:

Ocelot doesn't even do any trick shots in the whole game. What the gently caress.

There's a LONE RANGER THEMED VILLAIN. Who uses a sawed-off lever-action rifle with an antler grip. And he doesn't have a loving shootout with Ocelot. How can you put two cowboy themed characters in the same game and not have that happen?

Instead of dumb Volgin lumbering around in the lobby, that should have been the escape sequence of The Man Who Sold the World. Skullface's tank blows open the wall of the hospital, knocking the weak snake to the floor. Skullface walks smugly into view, casually executing another patient and flip-cocking his gun. As he approaches Snake LENS FLARE and a whinny. Ocelot is atop a white horse rearing up at the top of the stairs (somehow). Tossing his back gun over his shoulder from behind as he jumps off his horse, he catches it in this right hand and fans off two shots, taking off Skullface's hat and mask, before he tosses the gun to left hand and draws with his right, laying down a barrage of suppressive fire that forces Skullface back behind his tank. His left gun now empty, he reholsters it and uses that hand to pick snake up off the floor. Back on his horse, the last bullet from his right gun catches in the rifling of the tank's gun and spirals in, causing an explosion inside the tank.

But instead of that, he shoots a dumb shotgun pistol into the air once to get people to stop trying to lynch Huey for some reason. Way to go, Ocelot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

Things Ocelot Does In MGS5:

Literally gives Big Boss' Speech On Revolvers To A Recruit.

If you have The Finger from Ground Zeroes, that's the one he's telling the speech to. Probably the one guy on your whole squad who doesn't need a lecture about guns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If you have The Finger from Ground Zeroes, that's the one he's telling the speech to. Probably the one guy on your whole squad who doesn't need a lecture about guns.

Huh, that happened with me and I figured it was pure coincidence that The Finger was picked. Interesting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He’s teaching him how to shoot with his new prosthetic hand just like he taught Venom to shoot. This is also foreshadowing in that they got the Eye and the Finger’s names the wrong way round.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

So in terms of chronology, does this imply that some of the GZ missions were BB/MSF/MB rev1, and some were Venom/DD/ MB rev2? So the canon playable character in GZ missions was sometimes BB and sometimes Venom*?

*with a psuedohistorical creative liberties taken with his left arm and skull and whole body

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I think it was always Jack/Big Boss 1 in GZ

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah, the dates suggest that the side ops of GZ were missions that the real Big Boss undertook in the months before Camp Omega, with some liberties taken to reuse the same map.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I like the idea that what we play is the Medic's recollection of Jack's missions. He wasn't given a detailed layout of any mission area except Camp Omega so he just awkwardly set them all there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Raxivace posted:

Huh, that happened with me and I figured it was pure coincidence that The Finger was picked. Interesting.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He’s teaching him how to shoot with his new prosthetic hand just like he taught Venom to shoot. This is also foreshadowing in that they got the Eye and the Finger’s names the wrong way round.
I assume its a bit of flavor in that it picks your highest ranked combat dude and presents them as thinking they are hot poo poo like Ocelot back in the day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ive analyzed the stuff diamod dog has posted and i think hes right, theres some thing going on. i think maybe the thing, and tell me if im wrong, but the thing all the mirrors and reversals is hinting at is that you aren't playing as big boss? crazy i know but its my idea

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
But why does that one POW wink at you, huh Mr smart guy?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EngineerSean posted:

I think it was always Jack/Big Boss 1 in GZ

I don't think this is the case. As others have said, I think it's the simulation or whatever technology they used to implant memories in Medic. I mean, every side op starts with "Pseudo Historical Recreation".

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Snak posted:

I don't think this is the case. As others have said, I think it's the simulation or whatever technology they used to implant memories in Medic. I mean, every side op starts with "Pseudo Historical Recreation".

I used to think - as others have said - that these were meant to be pre-Ground Zeroes missions undertaken by Big Boss but set in Camp Omega, hence the "pseudohistorical recreation" stuff and the fact that the dates listed (if I remember rightly) are after the Ground Zeroes mission. But I think you're onto something. It would make the whole hypnotherapy thing less :rolleyes: and help explain why Venom's recollection of the helicopter crash and Paz is wrong.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Big Boss really did the missions but we're recreating them as training to become Big Boss. The closer one gets to Big Boss's performance the better the ranking. Since the Renegade Threat bonus objective is to extract both targets alive, and Eye/Finger are alive in 1984, the real Big Boss obviously did that.

But what does it mean that they don't volunteer unless you played Ground Zeroes? :tinfoil:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so why does skullface were the mask. is it some weird lone range get up?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The only reasonable answer I've heard is that it hides the skin discoloration that occurs around his eyes when his parasites activate, like you see on Quiet and (I think) Codetalker. Why he would want to do that I dunno, but it explains why he wears a mask that specifically covers just the area around his eyes.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
SUCH A LUST FOR MASQUERADES

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Snak posted:

Also starboard lights are still the wrong colour for 1975 and it also contains the yellow digital bar lens flare effect thing (when you briefly see from skully's perspectve as his helicopter starts up). Every time this lens flare thing is brought up somebody says "kojima just copied it from a music video". That's not an explanation for why he'd want to use that effect in this game, or why it's only seen when something electronic starts up nearby in a cutscene.

Every other time you have side missions like that in metal gear it's VR.
(Besides Peace Walker, but it would make sense if PW was VR also? For reasons like that and the map system. I think there's a good chance MGS5 should properly be thought of as PW+GZ+TPP since development of this game started during development of that game and it's a direct continuation.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i guess diamond dog doesnt agree with my theory, which is good because having the player not be big boss as a twist would be very dumb

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

They do explain why ocelot might be hanging around that hospital in the beginning. It's not a miraculous coincidence

vkeios
May 7, 2007

diamond dog posted:

if PW was VR

no, every second of peace walker canonically happened
big boss speaks fluent cat and got to an island of monsters and s ranked them to get sweet camos
and then he fought a red peace walker for blueprints to build a bandana
and most importantly, mother base's R&D invented mp3s.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nakar posted:

But what does it mean that they don't volunteer unless you played Ground Zeroes? :tinfoil:
you do a really bad job impersonating Big Boss because your training was incomplete/didn't stick well enough, so the old veteran employees know something is up and stay away.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I said I'd effort post about hoaxes. I think there's a bunch in the game and a bunch out of the game.

Reminder that basically everything we heard about regarding development problems turned out to be bullshit rumours. Kojima was never fired, and when he signed his contract he obviously knew what the end date was.

Every single official comment/insider tweet I've seen all make it sound like the game was completed no sweat and the credits rolling every 10 minutes tell me they're proud of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPMxmxst1JU

Further reminder that this all started with a fake studio and silly latex mask ruse.

The main reason people are dismissing rusery out of hand isn't anything to do with in-game examinations, it's because leading up to and shortly after launch there were a bunch of big visible ARG-style things that started out looking very authentic and turned out to be hoaxes, each of which ended in a wet disappointing fart. Thick, fast, discrediting farts.
I think each of these ruses were commissioned by the devs. Why did anybody think the ingsoc countown might be legit? Literally the only reason was because of the Mission 51 video credits and Kojima tweeting a 9/11 reference shortly after it appeared. Then it fell apart before the countdown completed when they "accidentally" uploaded a really laughably bad text-only indie game pitch document. Then when the countdown completed we briefly got this stupid rooster teeth video???

What about the ProjectOmega567ch youtube channel? Why did anyone think this might be legit? Maybe because it started in 2013 and ran until 2 months ago involving dozens if not hundreds of hours of professional editing work. Then the last few videos abruptly turned into ameteurish poo poo and everybody acted like they knew it was fake all along.
Two things though: (a) this video says ALADYGMA, apparently an ARG agency or something. (b) that female voice in the 'amateurish poo poo' video I linked above sounds like Stefanie Joosten to me.
The author posted on reddit claiming the videos had no connection to the game, they're just a "fan-made ARG". Fine, and yeah I doubt it contains anything helpful (who knows though, I haven't actually watched many) but that doesn't preclude him being paid to do it.

If the ruse extends outside the game (like Chico's head did) then I don't think it's a stretch to say they might have hired community managers to work at muddying the waters to perpetuate things. Particularly since the ingsoc irc channel was set up by the ingsoc dude and the neverbegameover subreddit admin has said strange poo poo. When someone pointed this out, a "no talking about whether users are ruseters" rule was implemented. The job of these posters is to post non-explanations like the music video thing, and to say OLD NEWS whenever somebody tries to reopen discussion on anything. Maybe. All I know for sure is the mods there have made zero effort to categorise evidence or facilitate investigations beyond initially telling people to do dumb time-wasting poo poo like interrogate every single NPC in the game for like two weeks. Everything posted there just disappears into the swirling garbage vortex that is reddit.

Within the game there are a LOT of codes and clue-like crap. Mysterious radio broadcasts, faded cliff paintings in africa, the portopia loader tape that's like HEY LOOK AT ME in the climactic cutscene, cryptic messages from Code Talker that nobody has figured out yet etc. Behind where you find "Huey" in afghanistan there's a wall with a bunch of cryptic stuff and two strings that look like partly-ciphered IP addresses. There's an apparently unused texture with a bunch of binary crap that nobody has figured out. This is by no means an exhaustive list. I'm not into math puzzles so I don't have opinions on the code stuff, besides to point at that those kinds of things aren't accidental and at least anything that's self-contained isn't remnants of cut content.

I originally meant to just post all my screenshots and break down the Honey Bee mission area, but now I know from experience some fucktard will quote the least interesting picture and be all "you think this WALL means something? you are literally schizophrenic for trying to solve a video game puzzle instead of raiding FOBs" so I'll just pick a couple. This area is meant to attract the player's attention though:
  • Blurry maps all over the game point out this area. I think those maps are intentionally blurrier than they need to be in a 2015 video game and that this and "bees" are references to video game culture/mysteries/ARGs.
  • There's collapsed/sealed tunnels that point towards a large unused, inaccessible portion of the afghanistan map.
  • There's unique blue pashto graffiti all over the rocks. Apart from being eye-catching it lines up with the MSX boot up glow and morpho butterflies, for anybody looking for an underground area to knock three times at (portopia fans lyk dis). There's a bunch of butterflies here and candles, blue barrels and beer bottles (to knock over as you try to crawl into the honey bee alcove like an idiot) show up in groups of three after you walk past an entrance area with several increasingly obvious "secret doors". Reminder that I think this area is a HOAX, but I also know how level design can prime a player's expectations, and this is likely to be the first place players visit after The Truth if they're trying to follow a portopia lead. Idk where bees sleep but I don't think it's in this honey pot.
  • As you approach you get a nice vista of a valley with a prominent mountain in the distance exuding mist. Mist is a thing in this game if you haven't noticed, and shows up in all the weird places including OKB Zero, Shining Lights if you shoot the lights out, that barracks in the middle of afghanistan, the valley at the devil's house in africa, and the spooky underground area of the honey bee area itself. Radios either go quiet or start playing PT recordings when mist is around. Anyway it kind of looks like you can jump down into the valley but you can't, and examining the map makes it kinda sorta look like if you can get there, you're getting there from the honey bee area. Sure enough there's a "path" along a cliff that seems to lead in that direction, but it's blocked off by a slightly out-of-place cliff (to the right of kaz's head). It's also blocked off by some barrels and fences, so this cliff really wasn't necessary and may have been intentionally placed to paint the impression that unfinished content was blocked off if you're running around looking for that stuff.

Like the other hoaxes it ends with a fart. At the end of the underground passage (after passing through a tunnel threatening collapse for the portopia people) there's these out-of-place rocks with gaps that show there's an alcove behind them (more obvious in action since parallax makes the area behind it obvious):

Fire your fist in there and you see this:

A lovely bit of terrain and two-dimensional quad poking out of the ceiling. Ostensibly the rocks are "hiding" this "bad map corner". Dumb.

The datamined chico lead in africa is probably similar. After all it would have you hunting for somebody who's hunting for bigfoot. Dumb.

So this is why I think the in-game ARG-resembling things are probably all crap and datamined stuff is just as likely to be red herrings as legit cut stuff. The one thing nobody seems to be doing is simply examining the story from our character's perspective by looking at cutscenes and listening to tapes carefully like GZ tried to train us to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Modest Mao posted:

They do explain why ocelot might be hanging around that hospital in the beginning. It's not a miraculous coincidence

I meant the fact that he wasn't in the previous 2 games, and just shows up in this one. His personality is completely different than the other games.

• Locked thread