Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was a bad episode of Flash with a really fun last 60 seconds. King Shark looked so good they had to kill him after 15 seconds of screen time because there's no way they could afford longer than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
This episode felt like it was trying to do too much before Stein left the picture. We had the Firestorm A-plot, West Family drama, Wells sideplot, Cisco trying to find his powers, and Barry's crush on Patty. Very cluttered as a result.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
The production team absolutely, 100% had to have a conversation about casting a black man as the villain of the week, because otherwise, the script has Caitlyn read as cartoonishly racist, and that's probably the only good part of this bland-rear end episode (See Firestorm this January in CW's DC's Legends of Tomorrow!) besides CGI Sharkman

Even still, she might as well be shouting "No, you see, he's one of the good ones!"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I didn't dislike this episode, even before the :flashfap: moment. I think I actually liked it more than most of last week's, where the only saving grace was Snart. But the show has kind of been coasting at a constant humdrum boilerplate quality this season. I can't recall the last actual impressive thing Barry has done. Hopefully this changes in upcoming weeks.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

tin can made man posted:

The production team absolutely, 100% had to have a conversation about casting a black man as the villain of the week, because otherwise, the script has Caitlyn read as cartoonishly racist, and that's probably the only good part of this bland-rear end episode (See Firestorm this January in CW's DC's Legends of Tomorrow!) besides CGI Sharkman

Even still, she might as well be shouting "No, you see, he's one of the good ones!"

His only defining characteristic was that he got mad easily, too. Which....hmm.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Nah, it's cool, they'll just lock him in solitary until his mind shatters and he can't reveal their secrets anymore

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Patty Spivot is just :3:

Barry zipping around taunting a super villain into making a mistake was the most Justice League Wally thing in the world and was pretty fun to see.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 28, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, Caitlin was being a real bitch there. If Hudson boy was white, it would have come off super racist. Also Barry really sounded like he was talking about bumpin' uglies with Caitlin in his little speech.

But KING SHARK HOLY gently caress THAT WAS AWESOME.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Man, did Caitlin start to go for a kiss on Stein when he hugged her goodbye?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Where is Jay again?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

Where is Jay again?

They actually lock him in the pipeline whenever they're gone, they claim it's a hotel room

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I know, I know I'm saying this on a TV show with "firestorm" matrices and Man-Sharks but when Jax chucked a metal car part at the bad guy's loving HEAD (with a pro-level quarterback throwing arm no less) was anyone else briefly like, OK, so he's dead now.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What does King Shark say to Barry? I've rewatched the clip on YouTube a few times but I still can't make it out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone wants you dead.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Aphrodite posted:

Someone wants you dead.

I thought he said "Zoom wants you dead."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It was neat that they tried to have the firestorm effects interact with something non-CGI, to make them seem more real. But having the blast just knock down the table and not actually melt it or burn it was lame.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

I thought he said "Zoom wants you dead."

I wasn't answering his question. I'm here to kill him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Was is this thread last season where people joked about having King Shark instead of Grodd? I think someone was listening :tinfoil:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

:vince:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

David Hayter outta nowhere!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

HOLY poo poo

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
"100% a hero" is the worst line

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For anyone that's aware of really obscure comic book characters, there was a bit of foreshadowing in the names. Tokamak has the same name as his comic book counterpart, but I can't be arsed to see if they're both black. He's also a Firestorm villain whose original origin was trying to recreate the accident that made the first one. As for Jefferson Jackson, he was basically a minor character and one of Ronnie's friends. :eng101:

Otoh, King Shark appeared and it's wonderful. Also, the Iris's mom subplot is actually going somewhere since it seemed to be utterly irrelevant beforehand (it still is if it doesn't lead into Wally West or something).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TEAH SYAG posted:

This week's Flash, the.motherfucking.shark. jumps you

The Flash Season 2 -- shark jumps you

I was even thinking "this is really an effects-lite episode for the show" while watching it. That explains it. A pity King Shark is likely dead.

tin can made man posted:

There was also that line Stein has about Jackson using his "natural athleticism." Again it seems more like a problem of the script than intent, but it did make me raise an eyebrow. The rest of the episode didn't and it really was because they cast a really good ham of a black actor to play the villain. When coupled with Iris' subplot, tonight became a refreshingly PoC-heavy episode of any TV show not explicitly about PoCs in which none of their plots were about being PoCs. I mean it'll still raise hackles on both sides because people of all stripes are overtly sensitive and bored, but I thought it was neat.

This definitely was a very cluttered and odd episode, but overall I feel kinder on it than most people. The A-plot kind-of sucked and the Iris plot was a bit of a drag, but I couldn't complain and the actors really managed to push the clunky script through with minimal groaners which is very impressive and another testament to how much I love the cast on this show.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

There was also that line Stein has about Jackson using his "natural athleticism."

It's almost as if they knew he was a football student guy.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

BSam posted:

I think mind the walrus knows that the characters know that, but that's not really his point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BSam posted:

mind the walrus posted:

There was also that line Stein has about Jackson using his "natural athleticism." Again it seems more like a problem of the script than intent

It's literally the next loving sentence.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Use your natural athleticism!" is not something a real human being would say to another, whether or not the latter was a natural athlete.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For the record-- which I fully expect BSam to ignore-- I really think it was the writer trying to do some of Stein's trademark "overtly academic" dialogue and accidentally stumbling on a phrase with racial connotations, not an actual statement. It's still an unfortunate line choice because of aforementioned racial connotations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mind the walrus posted:

the actors really managed to push the clunky script through

I wonder how long it will be before this starts to become a bigger problem. I mean it's been present on both shows since their first episodes but there's been enough distraction through other strengths where the target audience probably doesn't mind. But it's not getting any better on either show and it doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon. Now we have three shows by the same brain trust and a fourth on the way and none of them seem to be able to find writers that can write dialogue. Eventually the bag of cool stuff and good performances isn't going to be enough to keep the attention off the bad writing. I rarely groan at the dialogue on SHIELD these days (early going it was rough times) and never did on iZombie or Daredevil. So I know there are writers out there capable of writing comic book style shows where people talk like people.

Of course if you just put Snart in every episode that'll fix everything. In fact just make Legends of Tomorrow his show and get rid of everyone else on it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well iZombie has the benefit of being largely nothing like the comic its based off of and Daredevil has the Netflix "prestige" format with a lower episode order and more well-defined boundaries.

The Flash/Arrow are basically designed to grow "out" and not "up", and the dialogue quality is reflective of being sustainable rather than deep. To start investing the dialogue and arcs with greater growth would betray those ambitions from multiple perspectives.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

X-O posted:

Of course if you just put Snart in every episode that'll fix everything. In fact just make Legends of Tomorrow his show and get rid of everyone else on it.

Snart and Man Shark could team up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The thing Barry is going to be pissed at Wells-2 most about next week is taking his kill. Now he's on a two week slump.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat a disappointing episode of Flash. Really did not like any of the line for Firestorm and the final fight was terribad. However Episode still pulled it together with King Shark. To bad we'll never see him again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I dug the episode. It had the blunt "BARRY GET THE gently caress OVER MY DAUGHTER AND GO HIT ON SOMEONE ELSE YOU loving ANIME RETARD", it had TOKAMAK which I never thought we'd ever see, it had KING MOTHERFUCKING SHARK, and a decent writeoff to the firestorm guys.

Only thing really missing was wondering where in the hell Jay wandered off to.

Oh yea, it was nice seeing the guy who played Raphael on Supernatural again, even if he seems to be typecast as "Angry black dude".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 28, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Say's who? debut vs cameo.... just saying.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, poo poo.

I just realized if there's an earth 2 KING SHARK, there's probably an earth 1 KING SHARK somewhere.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Best blink-and-you'll-miss-it acting award for the week goes to Cisco's "yeah, I'd jump at the chance to have superpowers." Panicked, voice cracking, scene continues on without missing a beat for clumsy dramatic pausing.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Man shark is good, bring him back, he pleases me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How long until Sexy Evil Caitlin shows up?

• Locked thread