Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Medaka Box is bad, right? I'm looking for some fun shounen battle comic to read.

Medaka Box is good and completely insane.

The first 20 or so chapters before they decide to become a weird battle manga and go off the rails might be tough to get through though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Drop whatever you're doing, there's a new chapter of Kyokou Suiri ~ Invented Inference out.

This is pretty cool so far. I really like the protagonist girl. Is it running in a shounen magazine? The style seems more seinen (though there's not really any consistent way to really differentiate the two).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it runs in Shonen Magazine R, which i am making a leap of faith to assume is shonen

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cake Attack posted:

it runs in Shonen Magazine R, which i am making a leap of faith to assume is shonen

Yeah, I was trying to figure out where to post about it and then looked at the cover page and decided might as well assume it's telling the truth.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover really surprising me a bit in the last two chapters.

Aster gets captured and hauled off which is kinda unusual given he's the MC.

You think this might be the setup to a rescue arc, but when the badguys get back to their base they discover the Sorcery Emperor (who is mentioned multiple times to have been gone because said he was "Stepping out" for an unknown reason) waiting for them. He effortlessly and coldly obliterates half of the badguys and captures the rest. He basically says to Aster, "Hey, cool to see you again! You see how I just did that? That's the lowest bar for being Emperor kid, so get crackin." Dude's still kinda creepy with how cheerily he just instantly kills people.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well i don't think you get to be head magic knight through puppy hugs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really like the strange relationship between the three leads in kyokou suiri. Also, the girl who died was totally the sister, though that doesn't really explain where the murder ghost comes in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't like Medaka Box but there was this one meta thing it did (among too many to list, really) that was just brilliant. The "villain" as it were allies with the main character to take down the heroine and titular character of the story. But since she is The Heroine and has too many plot powers to actually beat in any sort of confrontation in a battle manga, they decide to switch genres and instead "beat" her by confessing to her (since the MC obviously is in love with her) as if it were a romantic comedy and thus nullify her plot invincibility. And it works.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Medaka-Box/Ch-126--What-s-Important-in-Someone-s-Heart-Is?id=96537

Yeah gently caress it this series is fantastic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Zenkichi really did ask for the most horrific power possible in that particular type of shonen story.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Zenkichi really did ask for the most horrific power possible in that particular type of shonen story.

I don't even remember what his power was, actually. Other than being just the normal guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The comic "Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna" is pretty cool from what I've read so far. It's a detective mystery of sorts (though the main character isn't actually a detective) and has an interesting overarching plot that connects all the individual cases. The characters are also pretty fun and interesting, and the female co-lead is very competent. The only downside is that I'm not a big fan of the art style, but otherwise it's good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Black clover being brutal and having a ridiculous pace at least gives it an edge for being generic as gently caress

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Anyone given Fire Brigade of Flames a try yet? It's only four chapters in but its already pretty entertaining:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's shounen as hell with a really weird premise but kinda interesting?

Story is semi-steam/dieselpunkish world where there's some spiritual phenomena where people spontaneously combust and become fire monster demon things. And people with fire-related superpowers come from the same phenomena and they kill the fire monsters.

Points for originality I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

It's shounen as hell with a really weird premise but kinda interesting?

Story is semi-steam/dieselpunkish world where there's some spiritual phenomena where people spontaneously combust and become fire monster demon things. And people with fire-related superpowers come from the same phenomena and they kill the fire monsters.

Points for originality I guess.

Well it would be original if not for the fact that that mangaka already did a series with a mostly identical protagonist who also had fire powers.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well it would be original if not for the fact that that mangaka already did a series with a mostly identical protagonist who also had fire powers.

This is the soul eater guy, are you thinking of blue exorcist?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Erg posted:

This is the soul eater guy, are you thinking of blue exorcist?

I was, yes. My mistake.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Hmm, has anyone started reading Mononofu? It's running in Jump and about Shogi. I really liked Hikaru no Go, so I started reading this, but I really enjoyed the first chapter!

e: Ah, I thought the art looked familiar. It's by the guy who did the Kurogane series (the kendo one) a while back. I actually really liked his stuff, so I'm glad to see he's got another shot!

KoB
May 1, 2009

I was, yes. My mistake.

The art style is very similar.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bro Dad posted:

Anyone given Fire Brigade of Flames a try yet? It's only four chapters in but its already pretty entertaining:

Fire Brigade seems cool so far, though the whole setup and concept just seems a little... I dunno, rigid? There's certainly places you can go but it seems a little limited compared to Soul Eater, where it was basically bleeding weirdness and potential from the start. Hopefully I'm just underestimating Obata's creativity.

Unrelated, but I just finished Fist of the North Star a few days ago. drat that's a good-rear end fightin' story. Except for the Bat and Lin stuff at the beginning and end of the second half, that was a little iffy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
What a coincidence. I, too, only recently finished Fist of the North Star.

The series as a whole really goes downhill after Raoh's death, but it's probably some kinda testament to Buronson and Tetsuo Hara's teamwork that it manages to remain pretty entertaining anyway. It's insane and silly and gratuitous and manly.

That whole last volume though, sheesh.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

The series as a whole really goes downhill after Raoh's death, but it's probably some kinda testament to Buronson and Tetsuo Hara's teamwork that it manages to remain pretty entertaining anyway. It's insane and silly and gratuitous and manly.

Even though the Shura/Asura arc felt like a giant retread of previous conflicts (Hyoh and Kaioh were pretty obviously Toki and Raoh but ACTUALLY/MORE EVIL, Shachi was a shameless Rei clone, etc) I enjoyed it decently enough. Even the little side journey epilogue bit was fun until those final 7 or 8 chapters.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bad Seafood posted:

Everyone I've ever talked to considers the series to have ended after Raoh died. It's pretty obvious from the brief glut of filler chapters afterwards that they'd planned on ending the series right there and had to churn out meaningless bullshit while they tried to come up with a suitably impressive arc to follow up on what was meant to be a finale.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The way I described it to my buddy, who's a huge fan of the series and always eager to hear what new readers think, I thought the overall narrative crashed and burned while moment-to-moment it remained pretty great (in that tried and true Fist of the North Star way). It ain't high art, but I was able to turn off my brain and just enjoy the experience.

The Kaioh fight totally dragged though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, this was my favorite scene in the series' entire run:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

god that was amazing. This series might be bordering on Seinen if it weren't for Ken occasionally clowning on people in ridiculous goofy ways while remaining completely stonefaced.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think my favorite scene is "What kind of old lady looks like you?" followed closely by "What color is your blood?!" and "gently caress you Ken-oh."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Juza talking smack to Roah was righteous.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arachnid is the most silly/dumb thing. I still find it entertaining, but the characters' abilities/fights are just so ridiculous that it's almost funny sometimes. The main character's wire thing makes no sense; I can't think of any way that she would be able to attach lines of her thread all over a room using that thread-dagger-shooter thingy. I think we're supposed to assume that she can just magically control exactly where the dagger/thread goes using her fingers, but that still doesn't explain how you'd attach it to the walls in more than one place. It also makes it to where she can win literally any fight by just going "lol i had threads where you are and they caught you!" It also bugs me how, at the very beginning of the series, she easily kills Kumo, but then has a really hard time against all these folks that think Kumo is stronger than them (like the kicking guy). If there's a reveal that he wasn't trying hard on purpose or something this won't be an issue, though it seemed like he was at the time.

It sort of reminds me of Terraformars, except with humans that have abilities resembling that of insects, rather than actually being genetically engineered to be part insect.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude wants to draw naked girls and use the story as an excuse to provide insect facts. it doesnt seem nearly as strange when you consider it is just some guy's attempt at combining his fetishes into a coherent work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wish there were more translations of the caterpillar spinoff

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I wish there were more translations of the caterpillar spinoff

I want to see her reaction when it's revealed that Ageha is her sister (because it's super obvious that it is). I'm guessing her sister is angry with her for leading a life of killing and basically throwing away the results of all her suffering.

One thing I find kind of unsettling in those series is how they talk about the Organization just killing "worthless" people and seem to include "literal rapists" and "people in debt" under the same umbrella. While it's obvious we're not supposed to think of the Organization as being good, they have tried to portray some of its members (like Caterpillar) as being "honorable assassin" types, but it's kind of hard to think that way when you're killing the families of people in debt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://bato.to/reader#14ecc54f5853516b

i dont follow this manga and only clicked on this chapter on a whim. protein baby is the character of the decade.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

i dont follow this manga and only clicked on this chapter on a whim. protein baby is the character of the decade.

Well if I ever needed another excuse to feed my future baby nothing but Muscle Milk (I didn't), this settled it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

What the gently caress is going on in this manga :psyduck: I know nothing about this manga and I'm both confused and a little terrified

e: Holy poo poo did that baby strangle that kid to death :stonk:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this manga :psyduck: I know nothing about this manga and I'm both confused and a little terrified

e: Holy poo poo did that baby strangle that kid to death :stonk:

Plastic Nee-san is loving hilarious. And even when it's not actually funny, it's so hosed up that it's still entertaining. Even its somewhat absurd fanservicey bits aren't a problem because they're usually the least crazy part of any chapter.

5/5 would feed my baby nothing but protein

Also some of the jokes in that chapter are great.

"Motherfucker!"
"Close enough"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm enjoying hinomaru zumou its a shame sumo is so insanely corrupt that it sort of spoils things

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read "Alive - The Final Evolution." It was a pretty mediocre series. I liked a lot of the characters, but the plot really dragged on in the second half. It also had one of the most disappointing results in terms of who the protagonist chose to date in the end. The two options were 1. this one cool character who was part of his group for the entire series, had a good personality, and even had the guts to kiss him and 2. childhood friend that was literally brainwashed for 95% of the entire series and has no personality traits other than "is nice." Like, I honestly can't comprehend why the author (and I guess most Japanese readers?) would prefer that outcome. It seems like most manga tend to have a bias against strong female characters, with the protagonist almost always ending up dating someone who has few personality traits other than "nice" and "childhood friend." Strong female characters still exist, but they almost always lose out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I just read "Alive - The Final Evolution." It was a pretty mediocre series. I liked a lot of the characters, but the plot really dragged on in the second half. It also had one of the most disappointing results in terms of who the protagonist chose to date in the end. The two options were 1. this one cool character who was part of his group for the entire series, had a good personality, and even had the guts to kiss him and 2. childhood friend that was literally brainwashed for 95% of the entire series and has no personality traits other than "is nice." Like, I honestly can't comprehend why the author (and I guess most Japanese readers?) would prefer that outcome. It seems like most manga tend to have a bias against strong female characters, with the protagonist almost always ending up dating someone who has few personality traits other than "nice" and "childhood friend." Strong female characters still exist, but they almost always lose out in the end.

The funny thing about that manga is that the author literally finished it on his deathbed. His magnum opus was a mediocre shounen fighting manga, which I don't think will ever stop being funny.