Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Nalin posted:

It looks like you can just send an Amazon.com gift code to avoid the extra $10 and the t-shirt.

Reading the thread through their forums it looks as though that will end on Nov. 1st as well. I have 2xx days left but if they keep the payment the same by the time I would have to repay, I'll drop them. It's just so sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Now they are saying that legacy users will be downgraded to "lite" accounts. Browsing and 25 API hits per day.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The_Franz posted:

Now they are saying that legacy users will be downgraded to "lite" accounts. Browsing and 25 API hits per day.

Oh, hell. Even with Dogpass? gently caress that. I was willing to extend to them some benefit of the doubt, but this is ridiculous.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That downgrade is a stopgap to prevent accounts from getting pruned I read.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

For those looking for an alternative, NZBGeek currently have lifetime passes available for US$30 (or $6/$12/$18 for 6m/1y/2y) memberships.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Oh, hell. Even with Dogpass? gently caress that. I was willing to extend to them some benefit of the doubt, but this is ridiculous.

Nah, pretty sure your dogpass carries over - they are essentially making all members buy the pass now.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So I do actually have around 200 days left. Apparently they killed api requests until you log in and look at the thread.

I agree that this is the sort of money grab I've seen many times before a site goes belly up, and on principle I'll never give Dog any more money.

I'll second NZBGeek as a replacement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Someone should set up a newznab VM so more people can just run their own indexer. I'd do it, but I've already got too many projects.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good provider right now? Astraweb just is getting too many failures for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a good provider right now? Astraweb just is getting too many failures for me.

Supernews is still pretty good for me. I use cheqpnews as a backup.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Someone should set up a newznab VM so more people can just run their own indexer. I'd do it, but I've already got too many projects.

It's the regexes and getting the right groups which is a pain with this. I just can't be arsed even though it would save me a bunch of cash.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm still happy with Newshosting (Highwinds), as Sonarr/Couch is generally fast enough to defeat the DCMAs, and the completion is good enough that I don't run any block accounts. If I need to get stuff from the past that's gone, I'll go elsewhere as I never found stacking accounts helped much in that regard.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I never have problems with old stuff with Supernews + Blocknews. I got an extra block fill from tweaknews but its rarely ever utilized.

I've been looking into ditching CouchPotato for an IMDB RSS/watchlist type thing with nzbget, anyone else done this yet? I really dislike the new UI and it occurred to me that CP is probably overkill for something that should be fairly easy.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I never have problems with old stuff with Supernews + Blocknews. I got an extra block fill from tweaknews but its rarely ever utilized.

I've been looking into ditching CouchPotato for an IMDB RSS/watchlist type thing with nzbget, anyone else done this yet? I really dislike the new UI and it occurred to me that CP is probably overkill for something that should be fairly easy.

Yeah I use dog movie watchlists. I have found with nzbget + videosort it has worked so much better for me than CP. You can set up notifications through nzbget or emby, which I think you use. I use emby pushbullet notifications when new things get added to my library.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I switched to doing the RSS feed from my Trakt account. Now I just need the hard drive space :cry:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

EL BROMANCE posted:

What is it with the Dutch and hard coded subs? Due to Usenet I've got this mental image of a country that pirates everything, and all has the same media player from 15 years ago that doesn't have a Subs ON/OFF button.

Hey Dutch - nobody else wants to learn your awful language. Cut it out.

As a dutch person, I'm sorry :ohdear:. There seems to be a vocal contingent of dutch usenet users (we used to have a pretty big community called FTD in the beginning of the era where NZBs where starting to be used and they always vomited dutch named releases over the various dump groups) who are illiterate as gently caress and don't speak a lick of english.

It loving pisses me off too, it's never a good translation and it's nothing but a distraction.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm glad it's not just me then! It probably annoys me even more now that there are actual Dutch people who find this practise annoying too! Yeah, I remember FTD from back in the day, it's been building up inside me for a long time ha.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Looks like my dog account now has less than 100 days left, ugh.

What are the best alternatives? I like to have multiple indexers, but not sure I want to renew dog after this bs. Are there any indexers that have been around a long time (and therefore are less likely to disappear any second)?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Anyone have experience setting up their own newznab server?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nzb.su has always been good for me

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

tonic posted:

Yes. Kinda a pain to get going how you want it but after that I just check about once a month to make sure nothing broke. It seems to pick up about 70-80% of the stuff that a big one would.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
nzbs.org

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

nzbs.org

We determined last page that nobody new can get in, so that's not really an option.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
NZBGeek, OZnzb, NZBPlanet, PFMonkey all work well for me. I have an NZB.su account, but I don't have VIP.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Nzb.su also has cc payment services so you don't have to buy a stupid t-shirt

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Oh. I've been on nzbs.org for the last 7 years so I guess that's why. Didn't realize there was no way to get in

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
NZB.su is good. I've had them for a long time. I've heard NZB geek tossed around on Reddit but haven't used them myself. I'll probably check it out soon since the dog stuff happened.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Skarsnik posted:

Nzb.su has always been good for me

Same here, been using them for a couple years without issue.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

tonic posted:

There is the below guide, but I don't know how good it is:
http://www.htpcguides.com/install-nzedb-ubuntu-private-usenet-indexing/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I've heard that nZEDb is easier to set up than NewzNab.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Alternatively couldn't someone just setup a Docker file for newznab. Just point everyone to that. Would be so much help.
gently caress, I'd donate if someone made a Docker container for all of my usenet toys. Stick nzbget, couch, sonarr, mylar, etc in there.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So even though Dog says I have a few months left on my VIP membership, Sonarr is having trouble connecting even after generating a new API key. Sonarr works fine with other newznab providers and I can download NZBs from the dog website just fine.

I'm simply getting an 'unable to connect to indexer' error. Anyone else experiencing this?

Is https://api.dognzb.cr no longer the correct URL? Or are they simply blocking API requests now?

tonic fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 31, 2015

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

Alternatively couldn't someone just setup a Docker file for newznab. Just point everyone to that. Would be so much help.
gently caress, I'd donate if someone made a Docker container for all of my usenet toys. Stick nzbget, couch, sonarr, mylar, etc in there.

Can you explain this more?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

tonic posted:

So even though Dog says I have a few months left on my VIP membership, Sonarr is having trouble connecting even after generating a new API key. Sonarr works fine with other newznab providers and I can download NZBs from the dog website just fine.

I'm simply getting an 'unable to connect to indexer' error. Anyone else experiencing this?

Is https://api.dognzb.cr no longer the correct URL? Or are they simply blocking API requests now?

Did you actually load the thread on their forums where they tell everyone they are killing lifetime accounts?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sub Rosa posted:

Did you actually load the thread on their forums where they tell everyone they are killing lifetime accounts?

I've done that and it's still giving me an issue as well. I'm going to hop on their IRC tonight and see what's up.

E: I even made a new API key and restarted all of my daemons

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

tonic posted:

Can you explain this more?

I'm far from knowledgable about this. My understanding is that docker is like a lightweight vm. You can create "containers" that describe what services you want and how they are configured and then you can give other people that container and they can install it on their system without much hassle. It is 'guaranteed' to work as they say without having to mess around with configuration. Plug and play as long as whoever setup the container initially did their job well. Since it is a very light weight vm in essence, uninstalling the container is pretty simple.

https://www.docker.com/what-docker

Anyways, what I'm suggesting is for someone to create a docker container that has all of nzbget, sonarr, mylar, couch potato, newznab, etc. configured in it. Ready to go. Then all you have to do is install the container on your linux and your done. No loving around.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 31, 2015

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
You're basically describing a Docker Compose manifest. That would be pretty cool, and not that hard to assemble, but not terribly portable right now since it only runs natively on Linux (a host VM is required for other platforms).

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

Yes? My understanding was I still have X days (number in my profile) where the API is still active. It doesn't appear to be functioning currently though.

Sure glad I went to the trouble of buying a bitcoin to pay them for a lifetime account back in the day.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

tonic posted:

Yes? My understanding was I still have X days (number in my profile) where the API is still active. It doesn't appear to be functioning currently though.

Sure glad I went to the trouble of buying a bitcoin to pay them for a lifetime account back in the day.

I pay for all of my usenet and block accounts with bitcoins now. I only minded getting everything setup with a separate bank account, that was a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

I'm far from knowledgable about this. My understanding is that docker is like a lightweight vm. You can create "containers" that describe what services you want and how they are configured and then you can give other people that container and they can install it on their system without much hassle. It is 'guaranteed' to work as they say without having to mess around with configuration. Plug and play as long as whoever setup the container initially did their job well. Since it is a very light weight vm in essence, uninstalling the container is pretty simple.

https://www.docker.com/what-docker

Anyways, what I'm suggesting is for someone to create a docker container that has all of nzbget, sonarr, mylar, couch potato, newznab, etc. configured in it. Ready to go. Then all you have to do is install the container on your linux and your done. No loving around.

I'm using one from github from a year ago but each app is its own container. The repo name was just Dockerfiles so maybe google that with couch potato? Mine is transmission with PIA, couch, sick rage, sabnzbd, Mylar, headphones, and I think one other. They share a done getting the content data container, and a link to the NAS