Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was in the same boat with OS, girlfriend's no big RPG fan but she found it really easy to get into - the presentation is good, the rules are pretty common-sense and easy to understand, and the co-op focus made any weird hurdles simple to get over. Give it a go, it's a real blast to play together :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Faerie Fortune posted:

We've played Portal 2, it was a lot of fun and exactly the kind of thing we love doing! Maybe we should do that again..

Yeah, def check out some user made maps.

Also maybe check out making your own maps, and then making each other play through them. The level editor built into Portal 2 is one of the easiest level editors ever. Its like playing The Sims, you just drag and drop. Valve actually made it so schoolchildren could use it, its that intuitive and easy.

Yeah Divine Divinity is pretty good, I played through half of it with the ex.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Magicka has pretty fun co-op - I haven't played the second one but if it's anything like the first it's worth checking out. It's a much lighter action-rpg style thing built around elemental interactions. Half the time you probably accidentally (or "accidentally") blow up your friends/yourself, but resurrecting people is a trivial spell you learn in the first level so dying barely even slows you down.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Nordick posted:

Shadows of Mordor doesn't take too long to finish if you don't get too distracted doing all the side objectives and poo poo. It also looks pretty goddamn sweet with maxed out graphics, I'd imagine. (I have a poo poo computer and it still looked great)

Thanks, played through that on PS4 though.

I settled on Deus Ex: Human Revolution because I found it floating around in my library. Not a graphical killer but something I think I can finish without going nuts on side quests in a few weeks at a few hours a night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pretend to care posted:

Thanks, played through that on PS4 though.

I settled on Deus Ex: Human Revolution because I found it floating around in my library. Not a graphical killer but something I think I can finish without going nuts on side quests in a few weeks at a few hours a night.

There's only really three sidequests per hub visit. Make sure you play the Director's Cut version, it's much better.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm probably the only person that thinks this but you shouldn't play the director's cut version if you happen to own the old one. The director's cut inserts the DLC into the game as a mandatory section and the DLC is abysmal.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking for some fun games

My wife and I had a great time with Torchlight 2. Plays very well co-op.

Diablo 3 could also work but the expansion is really needed for it, just not very good without it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Are there games similar to Quake 4 or Killzone or other somewhat sci-fi-ish games where you're part of an army invading an alien planet? A friend of mine was lamenting that there aren't more games like those and I couldn't come up with any but those two. (Except Quake 2 but you never see any other soldiers so you might as well be alone)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

khy posted:

Are there games similar to Quake 4 or Killzone or other somewhat sci-fi-ish games where you're part of an army invading an alien planet? A friend of mine was lamenting that there aren't more games like those and I couldn't come up with any but those two. (Except Quake 2 but you never see any other soldiers so you might as well be alone)

Haze kinda counts but it was a terrible videogame.

Planetside sooorta counts but not really, got the invading army bit and its a planet but its not super alien.

Warhammer 40K Tau fire warrior on PS2 kinda counts?

The later Killzone games kinda flirted with this yeah.

Halo sorta?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm probably the only person that thinks this but you shouldn't play the director's cut version if you happen to own the old one. The director's cut inserts the DLC into the game as a mandatory section and the DLC is abysmal.

The DLC is, at worst, mediocre (save for one nuisance moment of backtracking late in). It's insanely easy to sneak through even without the necessary augments and The Director's Cut fixes a whole lot of stuff that needed it, like being able to get through the boss fights without a combat-stacked augment build. Not to mention the constant gold tint on everything.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Playing through Republic Commando again. Any other games that has cool tactical military combat stuff? Aside from X-Com and what not, looking for something a little more reactionary than a turn based game but not necessarily a shooter

Geektox fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 28, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Any good racing games for the pc lately? I played a bunch of Hot Pursuit (Criterion) and liked it well enough, then got Grid 2 and kinda... stopped playing it. Is Grid 2 worth going back to? Anything else worth looking into between Grid 2 and now?

Cheers.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've recently been having a lot of fun playing split screen zombie Nazi mode on Call of Duty: World at War on PS3. I know I'm comically out of touch but can anyone recommend something similar or better on PS4? Even better if it supports more than 2 players.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

kaesarsosei posted:

I've recently been having a lot of fun playing split screen zombie Nazi mode on Call of Duty: World at War on PS3. I know I'm comically out of touch but can anyone recommend something similar or better on PS4? Even better if it supports more than 2 players.

Every Call of Duty since has had zombie mode. Caveat though, although I also enjoyed playing WaW zombies with my roommate, none of the ones since has quite felt right.

Split screen games are a bit of a dying breed, CoD and Borderlands are the only major FPSs on PS4 with it that I can think of.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any good racing games for the pc lately? I played a bunch of Hot Pursuit (Criterion) and liked it well enough, then got Grid 2 and kinda... stopped playing it. Is Grid 2 worth going back to? Anything else worth looking into between Grid 2 and now?

Cheers.

DiRT: Rally is supposed to be pretty great, but it's still in early access.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Looking for game that can be picked up and played in 10 or 15 minute spurts. I'm a big turn-based tactics/strategy fan, but a game with as much depth as X-Com is a little too unwieldy for short play sessions. Turn based, or at least not time limited like FTL is a plus.

Something like Fallen London, or a less crappy version of Warhammer Quest would be cool.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Looking for game that can be picked up and played in 10 or 15 minute spurts. I'm a big turn-based tactics/strategy fan, but a game with as much depth as X-Com is a little too unwieldy for short play sessions. Turn based, or at least not time limited like FTL is a plus.

Something like Fallen London, or a less crappy version of Warhammer Quest would be cool.
Desktop Dungeons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fruits of the sea posted:

Invisible Inc is a turn-based stealth game that might be worth a look.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Have you played Skulls of the Shogun? It's turn based tactics and I had a lot of fun with it. Many of the missions are probably beatable in 15 minutes if you play fast, and you can save at any time so multiple sessions per mission isn't a problem. Plus, nothing carries over between levels so if you put it down halfway through a battle and pick it up a few days later, all you need to do to get back up to speed is survey the map for a minute and see where you left it. Also it's in a bundle right now so you can get it on the cheapo!

Frozen Synapse is also a very good turn based tactics game. Similarly self-contained battles. Single player turns go by reasonably quickly and the multiplayer is asynchronous, seems like a good fit for short sessions.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 29, 2015

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wow, thanks for the replies. I've already played both Desktop Dungeons and Invisible Inc. but they are exactly the kind of game I'm looking for.

I'll give the demo for Frozen Synapse a shot, looks it has a lot in common with Invisible Inc. and Shadow Watch (a forgotten gem) so I'll probably like it. Heard a lot of good stuff about Skulls of the Shogun, but the art style/setting just doesn't appeal to me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Probottt posted:

DiRT: Rally is supposed to be pretty great, but it's still in early access.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that one, but the Alpha/"Early Access" bit is kinda off-putting; I'll put that one on the wishlist and wait until it releases properly.

We're close to the christmas sales, so I tagged a few games I've seen have good reviews and I'll do some research in the meanwhile. So far these caught my eye:
NFS Rivals
Shift 2
Project CARS

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Payday 2.

Also Left4Dead2 and Killing Floor 2.

The guys who made payday are currently working on a walking dead game (pretty much left 4 dead 3) as well as space payday and WW2 payday.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Payday 2.

Also Left4Dead2 and Killing Floor 2.

The guys who made payday are currently working on a walking dead game (pretty much left 4 dead 3) as well as space payday and WW2 payday.

I feel like any recommendation for L4D2 should also include a recommendation for Vermintide. Forever.

I didn't realize Payday2 was in the same range of stuff, that makes me want to check it out way more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

I feel like any recommendation for L4D2 should also include a recommendation for Vermintide. Forever.

I didn't realize Payday2 was in the same range of stuff, that makes me want to check it out way more.

Yeah I just started playing Vermintide and its pretty great. He did say PS4 though and I think vermintide is PC only for now?

Actually, looks like Vermintide is out on PS4 or is coming soon? So hey yeah, that's pretty perfect too.

And yeah, Payday 2 is really good and really underrated IMO. Its way better than Left 4 Dead 2. Pretty different, but in a good way. But its definitely 4 player co-op horde mode stuff, same genre.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Payday 2 is very good if you're looking to shoot endless hordes of enemies while accomplishing objectives. If you're looking for stealthy heisting, not so much. It's there, but most people don't bother.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Keeshhound posted:

Payday 2 is very good if you're looking to shoot endless hordes of enemies while accomplishing objectives. If you're looking for stealthy heisting, not so much. It's there, but most people don't bother.
On the other hand, when my cousin and I finally managed to fully clear out Shadow Raid, it felt really loving good.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Whether or not you enjoy the stealth in payday 2 depend on how well coordinated your group is, or if you don't mind hauling a bunch of poo poo by yourself when running it solo.

If you're playing in a random public game then the stealth is not going to be fun like 99% of the time. If you've got a tightly knit regular group though, then it can be pretty cool to coordinate all the objectives and just clean a place out without being noticed.

The loud shootouts are always fun, though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, very true. I have a few buddies I always play the game with, I just don't bother with random pubs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah but the entire context was co-op horde mode games so you can completely overlook the stealth and payday 2 is still perfect and exactly what he was asking for? :confused:

Its like you wanted to raise a problem that didn't exist. If he was asking for stealth game recommendations then sure but... not at all. And payday 2 is a fully featured game with poo poo tons of stuff to do completely ignoring that stealth even exists. You can never play stealth and still be fully satisfied. (I enjoy the odd stealth myself but yeah)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Does payday 2 have couch co-op?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but the entire context was co-op horde mode games so you can completely overlook the stealth and payday 2 is still perfect and exactly what he was asking for? :confused:

Its like you wanted to raise a problem that didn't exist. If he was asking for stealth game recommendations then sure but... not at all. And payday 2 is a fully featured game with poo poo tons of stuff to do completely ignoring that stealth even exists. You can never play stealth and still be fully satisfied. (I enjoy the odd stealth myself but yeah)

I didn't mean it as a criticism. Just that Payday 2 does try to brand itself as being a heist game and it doesn't always hit that mark.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

Does payday 2 have couch co-op?

Sadly no, just online. I mostly play on PC but it is unfortunate that console doesn't have splitscreen.

Keeshhound posted:

I didn't mean it as a criticism. Just that Payday 2 does try to brand itself as being a heist game and it doesn't always hit that mark.

Fair enough. I don't really look at it as a heist game though, its a horde game with cops instead of zombies. :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 3's horde co-op is unironically the best I've played of its kind and the servers are still well populated on PC. Not sure about PSN/XBox but I thought it deserved a mention since you can buy that game for $5 now, oh and there's some kinda story mode too.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My wife was asking for some "girl game" that she could play; some games she liked a lot were Katamari, Patapon, Locoroco, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Frets on Fire, The Sims. So basically old school cute platformers and weird japanese stuff.

Swearing and violence are a big no-no (although rolling up people in a giant ball then shooting them in the sky to become a star or whatever Katamari is about feels kinda abusive and violent to me, but hey); also it doesn't NEED to be a simple game, she's pretty savvy and usually becomes very good at anything she plays.

Platform PC, possibly Steam, and bonus points if it's something we can play co-op - the PC is hooked to the TV and I have controllers. I'd also like a modern look because I have watched her play Spyro and its '90s blocky graphics far too much.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 29, 2015

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

TorakFade posted:

My wife was asking for some "girl game" that she could play; some games she liked a lot were Katamari, Patapon, Locoroco, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Frets on Fire, The Sims. So basically old school cute platformers and weird japanese stuff.

Swearing and violence are a big no-no (although rolling up people in a giant ball then shooting them in the sky to become a star or whatever Katamari is about feels kinda abusive and violent to me, but hey)

Platform PC, possibly Steam, and bonus points if it's something we can play co-op - the PC is hooked to the TV and I have controllers.

Grow Home. Don't think there's co-op but it's a cute 3D platformer with a pretty unique and fun climbing mechanic.

Spiral Knights. Sort of a kiddy Diablo with some light MMO elements. Very easy to pick up and play although some of the monetization stuff might be a turn off. I guess this falls under "violence" but it's the equivalent of playing with wooden swords.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 29, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

TorakFade posted:

Swearing and violence are a big no-no (although rolling up people in a giant ball then shooting them in the sky to become a star or whatever Katamari is about feels kinda abusive and violent to me, but hey); also it doesn't NEED to be a simple game, she's pretty savvy and usually becomes very good at anything she plays.

Platform PC, possibly Steam, and bonus points if it's something we can play co-op - the PC is hooked to the TV and I have controllers. I'd also like a modern look because I have watched her play Spyro and its '90s blocky graphics far too much.

The PixelJunk games (shooter comes to mind, maybe Eden)
Bit.Trip.Runner
Guacamelee (co-op!)
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (I think it has co-op?)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shab posted:

Grow Home. Don't think there's co-op but it's a cute 3D platformer with a pretty unique and fun climbing mechanic.

Spiral Knights. Sort of a kiddy Diablo with some light MMO elements. Very easy to pick up and play although some of the monetization stuff might be a turn off. I guess this falls under "violence" but it's the equivalent of playing with wooden swords.

Thanks, Grow Home looks like it could be very good. As said in my previous edit the games don't need to be simple, she's great at gaming once she puts the effort in.

She also is a completionist and likes collectible stuff, she got all the loving gems in Spyro and 98% of achievements in Assassin Creed 2 (she doesn't like violence but she loved parkouring around and finding the hidden items and so on - even occasionally stabbing some guard in the face!)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TorakFade posted:

Shovel Knight has troupples, half fish half apple things. They're pretty cute. Also Harvest Moon/rune Factory. Introduce her to Animal Crossing only if you don't mind talking to her in monosyllables for the next year.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 29, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TorakFade posted:

Swearing and violence are a big no-no

Quick clarification, how violent is too violent? Are we talking any kind of violence, including cartoon stuff, or just blood and gore? If she's alright with abstracted violence and enjoys the occasional JRPG, Earthbound remains charming as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Keeshhound posted:

Quick clarification, how violent is too violent? Are we talking any kind of violence, including cartoon stuff, or just blood and gore? If she's alright with abstracted violence and enjoys the occasional JRPG, Earthbound remains charming as hell.

Blood and gore should be avoided, but things like Spyro burning up bunnies and headbutting enemies are perfectly fine. So I'd say cartoonish violence is OK as long as it's not too prominent

Thanks a lot for all the suggestion guys, she's bound to find something she likes amongst all this stuff!