Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MeruFM posted:

i don't get react
it's like there's html in my javascript so now it looks even worse.
and hey, a comeback of the onclick attribute?

my take on it is this:

1) A really good way to make it easy to reason about your user interface is to build a stateless UI that gets re-rendered entirely with each update.
2) This is also a really good way to make your UI super slow.
3) React lets you pretend you're writing a stateless UI but then it uses shadowdom diffing to make your application really fast.

In addition to that, the API is very well designed and very small. And the react components you build are ridiculously, well, composable (possibly due to the small/well designed api).

It has a few confusing gotchas but once you're past those it's really really good.

The HTML in your javascript is JSX and not at all necessary. You can write everything in JS if you want, but JSX is also really good and worth using.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

that's just w/r/t writing react native apps for ios/android on windows. I want to write react native apps FOR windows. (well idgaf about windows, but linux/osx).

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
http://elixir-lang.org/docs/v1.0/elixir/Inspect.Algebra.html

finally, an algebraic approach to pretty printing.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

also since the alternative to html in your logic is putting login your html like every other web framework which is also gross

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

oh yeah and congrats on getting this far with elixir. it's sure not being newbie friendly for me... i need something to do with it. i think i'm gonna give up on it and focus a bit more on python. i have a summer project with a friend coming and i really want it to be good.

oddly though, because haskell is such a weird different language it's the first time ever i can say i'm having fun with just a repl

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

yeah haskell is a blast

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i copied and pasted some code from stack over flow to connect the nodes and it sucks

i'd just literally copy luigi's d3 thing if i were you, assuming you arent getting some kind of sick pleasure out of janitoring js

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

decent, i only waste about 15 seconds of their time

nice

it was akwward coz the script was for clarithromycin 250 and i was liek "we only have 500s" and it was like 5:25 im amazed the dr was still there i sent the rx back and got doc to annoate and sign 500mgs (this took 10 minutes to get it back) and then get to shelf and realise i had misread, we had NO clarithromycin, only clindamycin! what a ning nong. but I owned up, said to the lady "sorry, i misread, we dont have any of it", but did the rest of the rx. what a ballsup

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

also you know you're a lovely web developer when you use HTML/JS for your UI for non web applications.

My dream

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can do this in Java by setting up a basic Grizzly HTTP server (3 or 4 lines of code) to serve up your static content, then open a websocket and pump encoded JSON strings to and fro'. And it all runs from a single JAR, resources included. No loving around.

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 28, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

You can do this in Java by setting up a basic Grizzly HTTP server (3 or 4 lines of code) to serve up your static content, then open a websocket and pump encoded JSON strings to and fro'. And it all runs from a single JAR, resources included. No loving around.

yeah this is basically how i'm doing things in my elixir task thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

also you know you're a lovely web developer when you use HTML/JS for your UI for non web applications.

Our modern client (that we're replacing vb6 with) uses html and JS on the actual endpoint device (because we eventually want our client to be able to run 100% in-browser so our customers can stop loving about with Citrix), but a lot of the heavy lifting is done in C# on an intermediary server, so at least there's that I guess? The HTML/JS is truly a dumb display free of business logic and anything more than "show this stuff" gets done by the server.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

got turned down after phone screen again. fourth different company in a row!

idk what im doing wrong, the only vaguely contentious thing I do is refuse to give salary expectations but that's pretty standard, right?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they should give you the salary information.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

St Evan Echoes posted:

idk what im doing wrong, the only vaguely contentious thing I do is refuse to give salary expectations but that's pretty standard, right?

does your name sound weird? tell them ur name is james

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
are you taking the calls on a cell phone? try taking the next one on a copper wire

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

so there's a lot of discussion that Go is a pretty fantastic language in terms of viability, but the design is so hosed it's like some ratchet rear end car that looks rigged to explode but drives like a rocket.

what are people's thoughts on the code design?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

go is idiot garbage for morons

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

St Evan Echoes posted:

What kind of questions are you being asked in the phone screen? Can you provide examples of technical questions etc?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

yep. true as a value judgement and a design goal.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nitrocat posted:

so there's a lot of discussion that Go is a pretty fantastic language in terms of viability, but the design is so hosed it's like some ratchet rear end car that looks rigged to explode but drives like a rocket.

Nitrocat posted:

ohhhhh pram aaaaaaam

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Barnyard Protein posted:

are you taking the calls on a cell phone? try taking the next one on a copper wire

i work remote so everybody i interview is via phone (or skype or google hangouts) and ive had plenty of candidates where my writeup includes 'didnt do great on the coding problem but we had a terrible connection so they might not have properly understood it', maine internet infrastructure is pretty shoddy

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

yep. true as a value judgement and a design goal.

oh snap, just what i was looking for. ty.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Nitrocat posted:

oh snap, just what i was looking for. ty.

this one too
http://blog.gopheracademy.com/advent-2014/case-against-3pl/

more koolaid consumer in this blog then an extra thirsty branch of some cult

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ryde posted:

What kind of questions are you being asked in the phone screen? Can you provide examples of technical questions etc?
they aren't technical questions at all, just the bog standard stuff about my experience, why do i want to work for $company, what are my salary expectations etc

i say 4 turned me down, 3 of those were "weve withdrawn the position, can we keep your details on file please" so they were maybe all just resume fishing exercises

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

St Evan Echoes posted:

they aren't technical questions at all, just the bog standard stuff about my experience, why do i want to work for $company, what are my salary expectations etc

i say 4 turned me down, 3 of those were "weve withdrawn the position, can we keep your details on file please" so they were maybe all just resume fishing exercises

yeah sounds like you just got unlucky. try not to take it personally

quote:

One unexpected side effect to versionless package management is that I now need to know and trust the developers who write the libraries I use. Because of that, I’ve become much more involved in the Go community than I was in any other language community.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

drat, OTOH i just found out elm's package manager enforces semantic versioning by type checking your package when you submit an update

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Flat Daddy posted:

drat, OTOH i just found out elm's package manager enforces semantic versioning by type checking your package when you submit an update
That is awesome, and one of the best arguments for a language-specific package manager I've seen.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nitrocat posted:

Bloody posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
go is great if you're devops. sucks for everyone else.

it's a shame about channels being so great.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would not use go for anything ever cause its destined to be abandonware and theres no real reason for you to use it over c#/java in the first place.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the reason they called it go is because people take one look at it go use java or c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
devops is full of people who couldn't make it as real developers and a big part of that is them not understanding why they should use c#/java

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

the reason they called it go is because people take one look at it go use java or c#

they called the language go and they hyped the concept of 'go being finished' just because what they really wanted was to name a language goto.

go is really lovely with a few nice ideas because the whole point is goto.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i used c# properly today for the first time and i have only one thing to say

S H A G G A R

W A S

R I G H T

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah c# is great. finishing up some ado.net learning and then it's on to web services. :getin:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Soricidus posted:

i used c# properly today for the first time and i have only one thing to say

S H A G G A R

W A S

R I G H T

the more you learn the more you realise shaggar is correct in all things

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

im using c#/asp.net/mvc and i <3 everything about it

Adbot