Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

A lot of good stuff got killed by Lieberman alone, such as lowering the medicare age to 55.

Yeah but after 2008(?) he was as much a Democrat as Angus King is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

FAUXTON posted:

Something something Blue Dogs, Ben Nelson, Bart Stupak, etcetera.

...Al Franken, Norm Coleman Ted Kennedy, Scott Brown, so on and so forth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When people go " Look at these great policy's the Democrats passed when they had a supermajority" all 'i hear is " Look at these great Republican policy's that got passed".

ACA is Romneycare.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Is it even likely Sanders can get the nomination . Ugh. Hillary may cost us the Presidency.
Lol if you think Democrats will nominate Larry David.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol if you think Democrats will nominate Larry David.

You are a Trump supporter. El Chapo is coming.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nonsense posted:

You are a Trump supporter. El Chapo is coming.
I was going to say you must have me confused with someone else, but then I realized by virtue of buying a Make America Great Again hat, I have technically donated to Trump's campaign and Trump's campaign only. :tinfoil:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I was going to say you must have me confused with someone else, but then I realized by virtue of buying a Make America Great Again hat, I have technically donated to Trump's campaign and Trump's campaign only. :tinfoil:

True there is no way to get such a luxurious hat, Chapo sold really lovely hats.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hollismason posted:

When people go " Look at these great policy's the Democrats passed when they had a supermajority" all 'i hear is " Look at these great Republican policy's that got passed". ACA is Romneycare.

Republican policies as represented by liberal Massachusetts. A policy that was reviled by the Republican party and stood no chance of ever being implemented on a national scale while a Republican was elected, even were it Romney himself.

This sort of "Democrats are secret Republicans" screed is just fundamentally non-persuasive.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaal posted:

Republican policies as represented by liberal Massachusetts. A policy that was reviled by the Republican party and stood no chance of ever being implemented on a national scale while a Republican was elected, even were it Romney himself.

This sort of "Democrats are secret Republicans" screed is just fundamentally non-persuasive.

That's because it's the cross-eyed inbred child of "well cartman I guess the truth is in the middle" and "the jews bilderbergers corporatist cartels run everything and the two-party system is a sham meant to distract everyone."

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Finally, the Tea Party is taking steps to begin impeachment proceedings against the IRS commissioner.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Radbot posted:

Yeah, we get it, and it's this "system" that will cause America to (rightly) fall. You need to have 80% of the country on your side (due to gerrymandering) to do literally anything? That's a bad system of government.

The alternative is a system where 80% of the country is already on your side, and you still can't pass what you want done, because there's no representation at all.

I mean I'm not going to claim that the specific set of rules governing American democracy cannot be improved upon, but that it is a democracy still rates it a couple stars higher than what came before.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Has anyone burst in to post that the US is merely a republic yet?

Cause I'm going to; the US isn't a democracy, thanks for playing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pathetic little tramp posted:

China upset that the US is moving warships near their artificial islands. News reports are reporting it as breathlessly as possible, but from listening to Wang Yi's statement, it sounds like their attitude is "Hey watch it" instead of "GOD drat AMERICA!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/world/asia/south-china-sea-uss-lassen-spratly-islands.html

The whole "artificial island" thing is especially funny because the major nations have literally spent 50 years pretending that Sealand and the Republic of Minerva weren't real nations because they were artificial islands.

(In actuality they weren't real nations because they lacked any ability to defend themselves let alone project force)

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

blunt for century posted:

Years ago I thought that everyone participating in the debate should be required to drink at least enough to blow a .08, for hilarity and accidental honesty.

Not sure what would be done about AA candidates or potential muslim/mormon candidates in this scenario though

Get everyone stoned instead. Hit the joint before you answer the question. Smoking styles and paranoia/lack thereof will tell electorate quite a bit. No vapes, though wizard pipes are allowed.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a couple of pages back, but Cher helped out Nick Diaz get over 100k signatures on his white house petition. Nick Diaz is a UFC fighter that got suspended 5 years for pot with test results that aren't humanly possible entirely because he showed up to a commission hearing with decent attorneys and didn't kowtow to the NSAC.

It was his third strike in as many fights and Nick Diaz is a moron. Hell of a street fighter player though

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I made a thread for the debate: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748832

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning,

~ Paul Ryan, telling the Tortillailures to wrap it up.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wow, that seems like the clearest "gently caress you, HFC" a politician in his position could give. Doesn't he still need their support to get the job?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ditocoaf posted:

Wow, that seems like the clearest "gently caress you, HFC" a politician in his position could give. Doesn't he still need their support to get the job?

The HFC doesn't really want to oppose the deal as much as they want to be seen opposing the deal, so you'll get a few snipes from them about Ryan to reporters, but he'll still have enough of their votes for Speaker.

The "we simply can't keep doing business like this" is Ryan's sop to them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CortezFantastic posted:

It was his third strike in as many fights and Nick Diaz is a moron. Hell of a street fighter player though

The NSAC has never suspended someone for 5 years for anything. His punishment is going to be thrown out as soon as they hit actual court. Nick Diaz got slammed because he refused to do the NSAC dog and pony show. Had they actually followed their own punishment guidelines, it might have held up. The commissioners were too pissed that Nick didn't want to be their friend and brought competent lawyers to kangaroo court.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do you think Ryan is the type of speaker that is not gonna put up tons of meaningless abortion and repeal votes that he knows will fail just to appease these guys?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Poll of North Carolina Republicans :kheldragar:

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Let's just let the word "impeach" complete its slide into generic synonym for "rebuke", choose some other word for the actual real-world process of impeachment and then not tell them what it is.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Hollismason posted:

When people go " Look at these great policy's the Democrats passed when they had a supermajority" all 'i hear is " Look at these great Republican policy's that got passed".

ACA is Romneycare.

Both parties are the same, maaaaan.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Mr. Nice! posted:

The NSAC has never suspended someone for 5 years for anything. His punishment is going to be thrown out as soon as they hit actual court. Nick Diaz got slammed because he refused to do the NSAC dog and pony show. Had they actually followed their own punishment guidelines, it might have held up. The commissioners were too pissed that Nick didn't want to be their friend and brought competent lawyers to kangaroo court.

I understand the entire case and I agree (also apparently some weirdness with the results), but Nick Diaz is still a moron who can't stop smoking weed for a week.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

I understand the entire case and I agree (also apparently some weirdness with the results), but Nick Diaz is still a moron who can't stop smoking weed for a week.

Uhhh, it takes a month and how does it enhance his performance anyways?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These loving people man.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Wonder what the history books will say about two separate Clinton Presidencies facing impeachment by the same group.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Glumslinger posted:

The last 8 years saw major improvements in gay rights (repeal of DADT and legalization of gay marriage), an improved but imperfect healthcare system, and significantly improved economy headlined by one of the largest pieces of infrastructure spending in a long time. Obama has had many faults, but he managed to get a lot done (though notice 2/3 things were done during the 2 years he had the house and senate)

He also made sure that I'm going to be paying out the rear end for Medicare when I'm old and repeatedly laid out the red carpet for massive Social Security cuts. But at least gays can fight in our pointless wars!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dimebag dinkman posted:

Let's just let the word "impeach" complete its slide into generic synonym for "rebuke", choose some other word for the actual real-world process of impeachment and then not tell them what it is.

Isn't that just a Congressional Censure?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tea Party Circle.jpg

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/27/donald-trump-to-iowa-will-you-get-your-numbers-up-please/

Donald Trump to Iowa: ‘What the hell are you people doing to me?’

Pretty much the best headline I've read so far this election cycle. Love you Trump, never change.

This article also reads like an Onion article.

Choice cuts:

quote:

"I do well with the evangelicals, but the evangelicals let me down a little bit," Trump said. "I don't know what I did."

Trump told the crowd he's "a great Christian" and described his favorite Bible, one inscribed by his mother. Each audience member was given a card showing two black-and-white photos, including one taken at Trump's 1959 confirmation. Amid listing off his religious credentials, Trump stopped and begged once again: "Will you get the numbers up, Iowa, please? It's ridiculous."

quote:

Trump wandered off into other topics -- praising John Deere tractors, sharing stories about fans who send him letters and slamming the "crooked stuff" in politics. But 15 minutes later he returned again to his Iowa poll numbers.

"What the hell are you people doing to me?" he demanded.

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 28, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The only good thing about NC is their correct decision on BBQ sauce (tangy, mustard based).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know what? All sauce is fine. It's all OK.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radbot posted:

The only good thing about NC is their correct decision on BBQ sauce (tangy, mustard based).

NC is vinegar based.

SC is mustard based.

greatn posted:

You know what? All sauce is fine. It's all OK.

False. Tomato based and Alabama's....mayonnaise based sauces are not ok.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

NC is vinegar based.

SC is mustard based.

False. Mustard base is the only good base. The rest is glorified ketchup or salad dressing.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Dry rub only is superior, favorite sauce on the side.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

False. Mustard base is the only good base. The rest is glorified ketchup or salad dressing.

Which part are you disputing?

archangelwar posted:

Dry rub only is superior, favorite sauce on the side.

Also acceptable.

If you need to drown your meat in any sauce you didn't have a good rub or didn't smoke enough to begin with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CortezFantastic posted:

The thing is, he did stop smoking. He passed legitimate drug tests done by a proper drug testing authority both before and after the fight. The only one that he tested positive for anything at all was the NSAC test which they did not test a B sample and had no proper chain of custody. The simple math doesn't add up that he could possible test as high as he did on the NSAC test while negative on the other regulated ones. The sample quality and testing method used is extremely dubious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gravel Gravy posted:

NC is vinegar based.

SC is mustard based.

I swear the mayonnaise sauce is Alabama playing a joke on bbq tourists. It has to be, the alternative is just too awful.

• Locked thread