Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Can anyone recommend a good lens that would fit a Sinar F lens board? Specifically one for portraiture, and specifically one that would open wider than f/5.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can anyone recommend a good lens that would fit a Sinar F lens board? Specifically one for portraiture, and specifically one that would open wider than f/5.6

Schneider Xenotar 150mm f/2.8
Schneider Xenar 150mm f/4.5
Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar 150mm f/4.5
Voigtlander Heliar 210mm f/4.5
Dallmeyer 3B

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

Dallmeyer 3B

f/2.8?!?! In 4x5?! What is that, like one eyelash in focus? How big is that lens?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

f/2.8?!?! In 4x5?! What is that, like one eyelash in focus? How big is that lens?

Big, but surprisingly, not lolhuge: (that's a Technika lensboard)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
There's a guy in Melbourne who custom makes/restores and sells speed graphics with those fitted. Can't remember who he works for but he's on the Aussie Film Shooters facebook group. Some of the portraits that come out of those super fast lenses on 4x5 are dope as hell (i seem to remember him making one with a 1.something lens?)

Also i have tried heaps of times staring at stereopics but can never get it to work. I used to be able to do those 3D books when i was young but i can't any more. In any case i was amazed at how awesome they were in the stereoscope.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I've got a big old barrel lens that I hook up to my Speed Graphic that's a f/2.9, it weights nearly as much as the body.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

I've got a big old barrel lens that I hook up to my Speed Graphic that's a f/2.9, it weights nearly as much as the body.

Is that like a Dallmeyer Pentac aero lens? That's the poor-mans' Aero Ektar.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MrBlandAverage posted:

Dallmeyer 3B

Good list.

There's also a 150mm Planar, just like the Xenotar. They come in both f/2.8 and f/3.5 variants. They're straight-up Planar lenses, and the coverage is not large on these guys. 150mm covers 4x5, and there's also 135mm variants which IIRC will only (fully?) cover 3x4. That said, they are pretty special lenses just from the rarity.

Xenars are standard issue. There's also other Tessars as fast as f/3.5 although from my internet impressions you're giving up optical performance for raw speed.

Apo-Lanthar: good luck on that one. It's like a re-corrected Planar IIRC. Very nice but scarce as hens' teeth.

Heliar: Great realistic option. IIRC coverage isn't fantastic for a given focal length vs Tessar - but most people want them as portrait lenses anyway. Excellent IQ, gentle rendition, but in no way a soft-focus lens. All in all you're not giving up much vs the Lanthar/Xenotar/Planar, if you can manage to locate one at a good price.

Dallmayer 3B: I don't know this one in particular, but it's a Petzval. Not razor sharp, but have an absurdly swirly periphery which makes them fun for portraits. There are lots of petzvals floating around, both brand-name and not. An average 4x5 Petzval is likely around f/4.

And yeah Spedman, there are also tons of aero lenses. Aero Ektar (Dorkasaur, how soon you forget him :qq:) and the Pentac and so on. At one point I had an early aero lens - Kodak Aerostigmat 305 f/5, a triplet - that I regret selling. On the other hand I would have had to reshutter it, so...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 28, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Geektox posted:

Doing this while drunk is extremely impossible

I know that feel. I managed it after about 10 minutes of intense concentration, basically hands steepled and meditating to relax myself. I got it for about 60 seconds and my GF barged in and started tapping on my shoulder while I was sitting there motionless and focused.

That's my favorite stereogram, too :argh: Lots of easy-to-focus, colorful objects at all depths of the image.

akadajet posted:

Yeah I can't cross my eyes that much unfortunately (fortunately?).

It's just a Magic Eye picture like elgarbo said. Anyone can do it, you just have to try for a while. Like MBA said, try sitting back further from your screen to decrease the amount you have to cross-eye, that makes it easier. Defocusing on the virtual image is really the hard part - the easiest way at first is really just to relax and meditate for a minute, and your eyes will naturally defocus on their own,.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Let it never be said that I cannot expose for the broadside of a barn.

Painting the boat by spike mccue, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is that like a Dallmeyer Pentac aero lens? That's the poor-mans' Aero Ektar.

Indeed it is, I picked it up at a junk shop a few years back for not too much cash. Focal length of 8', un-coated and works well for wet-plates.

Here's my favourite shot with it (not a wet-plate):

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Spedman posted:

Indeed it is, I picked it up at a junk shop a few years back for not too much cash. Focal length of 8', un-coated and works well for wet-plates.

Here's my favourite shot with it (not a wet-plate):

Yeah that is awesome.

My puny 6x9:

_DSC2225-Edit by Maciej, on Flickr

Although it seems that the tonality got crushed in the mysterious flickr conversion....

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

Good list.

There's also a 150mm Planar, just like the Xenotar. They come in both f/2.8 and f/3.5 variants. They're straight-up Planar lenses, and the coverage is not large on these guys. 150mm covers 4x5, and there's also 135mm variants which IIRC will only (fully?) cover 3x4. That said, they are pretty special lenses just from the rarity.

Xenars are standard issue. There's also other Tessars as fast as f/3.5 although from my internet impressions you're giving up optical performance for raw speed.

Apo-Lanthar: good luck on that one. It's like a re-corrected Planar IIRC. Very nice but scarce as hens' teeth.

Heliar: Great realistic option. IIRC coverage isn't fantastic for a given focal length vs Tessar - but most people want them as portrait lenses anyway. Excellent IQ, gentle rendition, but in no way a soft-focus lens. All in all you're not giving up much vs the Lanthar/Xenotar/Planar, if you can manage to locate one at a good price.

Dallmayer 3B: I don't know this one in particular, but it's a Petzval. Not razor sharp, but have an absurdly swirly periphery which makes them fun for portraits. There are lots of petzvals floating around, both brand-name and not. An average 4x5 Petzval is likely around f/4.

And yeah Spedman, there are also tons of aero lenses. Aero Ektar (Dorkasaur, how soon you forget him :qq:) and the Pentac and so on. At one point I had an early aero lens - Kodak Aerostigmat 305 f/5, a triplet - that I regret selling. On the other hand I would have had to reshutter it, so...

I absolutely love my 180mm f/4.5 xenar for portraits on 4x5.
Untitled by Jimbo, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Crooked Signpost by Vidak, on Flickr

e: Now I see I can't crop for poo poo :cripes:

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 28, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm borrowing a 501 with the 80mm Planar. It's the first time using MF and I like quite a bit!

Some questions though:

What kind of shutter speeds should I consider for handheld photos to eliminate possible camera shake? Too much surfing has got me a bit worried, so now I've only done 1/250+. Is that too conservative or is 125 doable? Also, what about aperture and nailing focus? I foolishly tried some quick portraits with 2.8 and missed the focus on several of them by a tiny bit. Aperture choice and DoF would of course depend on distance/DoF prefence etc, but are there any easy pointers to keep in mind to be safe? f4? f5.6? The classic "wide aperture for portraits" advice is easier said than done on this mofo. Since I'm only borrowing the camera for a short while I don't have the luxury of too much trial and error myself.

e: I'm using a waist level finder btw

Xabi fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 28, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
an 8-minute exposure

Trailer City by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xabi posted:

I'm borrowing a 501 with the 80mm Planar. It's the first time using MF and I like quite a bit!

Some questions though:

What kind of shutter speeds should I consider for handheld photos to eliminate possible camera shake? Too much surfing has got me a bit worried, so now I've only done 1/250+. Is that too conservative or is 125 doable? Also, what about aperture and nailing focus? I foolishly tried some quick portraits with 2.8 and missed the focus on several of them by a tiny bit. Aperture choice and DoF would of course depend on distance/DoF prefence etc, but are there any easy pointers to keep in mind to be safe? f4? f5.6? The classic "wide aperture for portraits" advice is easier said than done on this mofo. Since I'm only borrowing the camera for a short while I don't have the luxury of too much trial and error myself.

You're probably safe at 1/125, but it depends on your own hand steadiness. I only shoot portraits at f/2.8 so I don't really have any pointers except be really steady and pray.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

Big, but surprisingly, not lolhuge: (that's a Technika lensboard)

Have you shot with this bad boy? What's the DOF at f/2.8 in 4x5?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's all in hand-steadiness, but I find I can shoot with my 500c and 80/2.8 just fine down through 1/15th. Your waist level finder should have a flip-out magnifier which makes focusing for wide aperture much easier, there should be a little tab or knob on the top (when open, the 'front') of the finder to flip the magnifier out.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Xabi posted:

What kind of shutter speeds should I consider for handheld photos to eliminate possible camera shake? Too much surfing has got me a bit worried, so now I've only done 1/250+. Is that too conservative or is 125 doable?

Your personal hand steadiness has a lot to do with it, but this is probably conservative. I can freehand 1/60 with pretty good results, 1/30 most of the time, and 1/15 or (rarely) even 1/8 on a really good day (no caffeine, good place to kneel, phase of the moon is right...). If you're not shooting a fast-moving subject that you have to track, you can often buy yourself 1/2 stop or so by doing your framing and focus, thumbing the mirror lock, and shooting from there. You need good technique, though, and f/2.8 is not the best place to be doing that. Compose a little wide and crop later.

The Hasselblad takes some time to learn good technique, though. It took me a lot of rolls to get here. Tip: let the weight of the camera work for you: cradle it from underneath and use your thumb behind the winding knob to brace it.

Xabi posted:

Also, what about aperture and nailing focus? I foolishly tried some quick portraits with 2.8 and missed the focus on several of them by a tiny bit. Aperture choice and DoF would of course depend on distance/DoF prefence etc, but are there any easy pointers to keep in mind to be safe? f4? f5.6? The classic "wide aperture for portraits" advice is easier said than done on this mofo. Since I'm only borrowing the camera for a short while I don't have the luxury of too much trial and error myself.

2.8 is fine but your DOF will be on the thin side when you get up close and personal. 80mm is 80mm and the depth of field is going to be the same as your 35mm-format 80mm at the same distance - your field of view is going to be substantially wider, though, so keep in mind that you'll have to get much closer to get comparable framing. Use your preview lever.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 28, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Have you shot with this bad boy? What's the DOF at f/2.8 in 4x5?

Nah, but search Flickr for "xenotar 150mm" and you'll find plenty of examples.

I'm not made of money so I use a 210mm f/5.6 for shallow DOF portraits.

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks, all!

Yond Cassius posted:

Use your preview lever.
I have never used DoF preview on any camera :eek:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Not a spectacular image, but it feels good to have finally shepherded some sheets of 4x5 all the way from loading to development (even if most of them are bad).

Grass by TheJeffers, on Flickr

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 3, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Got my first roll of 120 developed with my new, not counterfeit Pentax 67. The pictures wont win any prizes but I love it already!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Love this one. Nice shot.

Hassy MF'ers: I have a couple of lenses in the B/S/T thread (50mm and 500mm) if anyone's interested.

Also a bunch of 100mm filters and a tripod.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

20151105-TriX_GW690_Hawaii001
by Bud, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Viale del Museo Borghese by alkanphel, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I like this.

_DSC2269 by Maciej, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

First thing I thought of:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Foma 400 shot at 200 is much nicer than box speed, here's some 4x5s:

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Dropped a roll of film into a puddle of water. Paper backing got stuck to the emulsion I guess...

Lucky No. 13 by Maciej, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Putrid Grin posted:

Dropped a roll of film into a puddle of water. Paper backing got stuck to the emulsion I guess...

This reminds me of something I saw at the UTas VisCom grad show on Friday. This woman had taken enormous pieces of film and photo paper (like 30x24" inches or something) and exposed them to light under water in a local river at various times of night. The refracted light obviously making some pretty amazing patterns and textues. The film was displayed on giant light boxes and the paper was just hung from the wall, but it was all sort of torn and curled at the bottom which made them really effective. Really cool stuff, wish I'd taken a photo or at least remember the name of the girl that had done it

e: http://www.nikalabourke.com/photograms

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 9, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Putrid Grin posted:

Happy accident.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Lovely greens

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Putrid Grin posted:

That happened to me one time, except that I was caught in a rain storm and my exposed rolls got all waterlogged. I thought everything was ruined until I saw the negatives.

Static 1 by Jason, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Must be the week for it

Been a little while. Had some loving really frustrating problems tonight. All fresh chemicais, fresh dev, fresh fix. I think the eggs may be bad. Also probably some residue in the collodion

This one didn't turn out terrible but it's far from satisfactory

[/url
][url=https://flic.kr/p/AWggSB]rhys
by alex gard, on Flickr

This girl has a head made for collodion but I couldn't get a decent plate of her tonight. Going to go out with her and try some outdoors stuff next week. Head & shoulders portraits piss me off.

sarah by alex gard, on Flickr

• Locked thread