Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i had similar experiences last time i was prompted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

has recaptcha gotten way harder recently or is it just me? it keeps telling me to select street signs/street name signs and only allowing me past after i solve 2-3 successfully. also repeatedly giving me image sets which do not include sufficient correct options for me to pass the test

lmao if you managed to successfully complete it. i just had to give up and do the audio one eventuially

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kalstrams posted:

ive used postbox, it was definition of janky
i have year old budget tier acer laptop with poo poo cpu so my bideo james insist on closing browser
calendars contacts etcetera are irrelevant, i just want reliable notifications for incoming mail

maybe you should get a new computer

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you are getting harder ones you could have malware or toolbars or bad cookies. Try a private window

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

maybe you should get a new computer
money :mad:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
a 1 year old PC shoudl be able to run a web browser.

also

lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
most email clients include a full web browser anyway (thunderbird has a firefox in it almost) so you will be losing if anything over just webmail

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

a 1 year old PC shoudl be able to run a web browser
it runs, my games just lag with it sometimes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Corla Plankun posted:

control systems are sooo cool but i can not begin to imagine the horrors of doing anything other than greenfield projects in that sector

They were sorta cool in the 90's but from about 1994 forward all their redundancy requirements could have been accommodated on commodity hardware with IP backhaul but these vendors are decades behind the times so you end up in weird terrible situations.

I was describing the interface bridges I'm testing to a different vendor that does predictive analyitics for us and every 10 seconds he kept stopping me and asking why the hell I was killing myself over integrating legacy systems because he clearly didn't understand the terrible costs associated with DCS systems and how spending 30k now on some screwball bridge equipment is a whole lot easier of a sell than telling the people with the money that you need an additional 2+ million to rip and replace all the controls and sensors that are otherwise running fine.

DCS is terrible overall but if you can find the right hardware to abstract your lovely old stuff to an IP network then pretty much everything is on the table and the world is your big lovely soot spewing coal burning oyster

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
on my iphone phone by apple software, i have a playlist folder w/ 3 playlists: darude sandstorm 100 times, top 50 skrillex, and NOW 69 greatest hits. i want to have all these playlists to be played in order on repeat. is there a button that does this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e: it was the loving cable

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 25, 2015

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

What is a good online backup service to use when:

* you want something you can set and forget
* you are a paranoid nut who wants a zero-knowledge solution

?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

maniacdevnull posted:

?

crashplan works

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

maniacdevnull posted:

?

backblaze

crashplan is ok but they throttle your uploads

also backblaze's client is way better

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
you need to give them your encryption key to get any of your data back

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Endorsed by Gruber... sounds dodgy if you ask me

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Malloc Voidstar posted:

you need to give them your encryption key to get any of your data back

at all, or just with the "ship me a drive" option?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

And how do either of them do with multiple versions and rolling back single files?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

And how do either of them do with multiple versions and rolling back single files?

i've restored single files just fine and they have a web interface so you can also use it like a one-way dropbox-replacement

idk about backblaze's versions of files, i use local volume shadow copy for that (thanks satya) and i use paragon to image my system drive to a folder on a spinning disk 3 times a week

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 27, 2015

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

maniacdevnull posted:

at all, or just with the "ship me a drive" option?
at all

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

all i did was log into the website and i could get files just fine

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

use a good random password and a password manager, it's not that hard

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

oh are you talking about the "private encryption key" which is just a second password? are you basically saying "i don't trust them with one password, but i trust them with two passwords because,"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

oh are you talking about the "private encryption key" which is just a second password? are you basically saying "i don't trust them with one password, but i trust them with two passwords because,"

no, for crashplan it looks like they only store the ciphertext and don't have the key at all. at the highest setting, you are responsible for it, and if you lose it ur fukd, but the flip side is they don't have it when they get hacked either

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
mac does this thing where it combines applications when alt tabbing and such. this is super annoying with goog hangouts bc its considered chrome, so alt tabbing breaks when swapping to hangouts from chrome. how do i disable all mac grouping of applications so it just works (tm) like on windows??? if theres a way to make all windows work like windows windows, that would be freaking sweet

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
my work has their own crashplan backup severs or something so they backup to some other building within the company and theres no worrying about passwords and encryption. have u considered joiining a new corporation, op?

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

obstipator posted:

mac does this thing where it combines applications when alt tabbing and such. this is super annoying with goog hangouts bc its considered chrome, so alt tabbing breaks when swapping to hangouts from chrome. how do i disable all mac grouping of applications so it just works (tm) like on windows??? if theres a way to make all windows work like windows windows, that would be freaking sweet

its not free: http://manytricks.com/witch/

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sweeet, thanks

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

no, for crashplan it looks like they only store the ciphertext and don't have the key at all. at the highest setting, you are responsible for it, and if you lose it ur fukd, but the flip side is they don't have it when they get hacked either

it looks like backblaze says the same thing though? i'm confused about what the issue is

honestly they're not that different, my understanding is that backblaze has a better client and doesn't cap your upload, but crashplan also backs up network drives so if you have a home nas, you have the option to back that up

any online backup is better than nothing so just get going!!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

symlink / to ~/Dropbox problem solved

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

power botton posted:

symlink / to ~/Dropbox problem solved

wish ud symlink your posts to /dev/null

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

any online backup is better than nothing so just get going!!

I ended up going with crashplan. I do have a home nas so I like that I can manage both from crashplan, but I wish it could do image backups and maybe explorer integration too

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I bought a lovely monitor that broke recently, i figured it might be fixable but probably wouldnt expend the effort. what the heck is going on with this thing though

Its some ancient westinghouse monitor (LCM-17v8) that i got for One (1) American US Dollar. Yeah, Westinghouse made monitors i guess? Fully expected it to be broken but it wasn't, and i was actually pretty surprised at how good it looked so my poor rear end started using it as a secondary monitor.

a few weeks ago i guess something shorted inside or a capacitor died or something cause it's mad hosed up now. At anything less than full brightness it has this weird slowly scrolling strobing shutter effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WIBbQnjCUY
you can't see the strobe but imagine it's strobing at a good 60hz. also the weird color cast is because i'm using flux

There's also a speaker on the monitor that at low brightness leaks noise that sounds a lot like interference. i'm guessing that noise is the killer clue that theres something mad hosed up with this monitor's power supply but it only happens on low brightness so i dunno

There's also this probably related but seemingly unrelated problem where bright parts suck away the brightness of the row they are on. I've only ever seen it way back in high school when they connected every projector with 30 foot vga cables (no i am not kidding) and i just figured it was signal decay.

so what the heck is up with this thing and can i fix it

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
well amberpos makes it flip its god damned poo poo so merry christmas folks

i guess it uses temporal dithering but i didnt know that until it flipped its poo poo so well gently caress me right

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
bad power supply

mlyp :xd:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

throw it in the loving garbage and get a monitor which costs more than a dollar

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
if you are a dumb babby idiot you could fix it by replacing the caps in the power supply

if you are not a poo poo piss idiot hellfucker you will throw it in the trash where it belongs

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
that was the plan from the beginning except the intermediate step of MAN TRY TO FIX THING

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
take it apart and look for leaking caps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its like the 89 acura legend you have parked in your backyard, theres nothing about it that is objectively good and it really belongs in the garbage but if you just fix just one thing just one little thing it'll work fine right