Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

wallenstein's handwriting is good looking and easy to read, and his ink hasn't faded, but everything that comes out of the office of Leopold, Erzherzog of Further Austria, is a goddamned bitch to read i hate it i hate it so much

oh! when someone has been there before you like two hundred years ago, popped all the seals off with a loving knife, and put them in a separate file which probably damaged them! because the study of wax seals used to be its own thing!

I believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

secretary's handwriting: good looking, well-disciplined, nice
mansfeld's signature: sharpen your goddamn pennnnn

Good ol' Arulfy Bryuvfjrhsj.

Have a page of Fisher:

And one from Beresford:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 27, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
If Fisher was around today he would write like half his mails in all caps.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
your dudes suck, SEXMAN, how did we get worse at writing in a straight line between the 1620s and the nineteen-teens

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, it's not that medieval Christians didn't want people understanding the bible, it's just that they knew translation is dodgy at best and didn't want people getting the wrong idea. That's how you get hosed up heresies and the like. Translation is fine for conveying meaning, but a lot of the nuances and emphasis can fall by the wayside. When you're discussing the fine points of morality and theology that's a big deal. ...
I grew up in a Lutheran country and I think I was told that the clergy did this because they didn't want anyone being able to even try to challenge their absolute authority as the mediators between man and god (and all the perks that came with it, such as being able to sell indulgences).

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Cathars were right...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

your dudes suck, SEXMAN, how did we get worse at writing in a straight line between the 1620s and the nineteen-teens

something something typewriters something something telegrams something something BACK IN MY DAY

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

Mass literacy has its downsides, I guess.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

What do contemporary historians consider when determining accurate figures for army sizes and casualties? I'm thinking mainly of the classical period here. Is it a matter of splitting the difference between sources? Does demographic or economic analysis factor in? Is it a case-by-case thing, or are there more general "rules of thumb" historians use?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There is some kind of neat crop yield/storage analysis modeling that can get you to approximate populations and you can use some decent scale factors for army sizes based on approximate populations.

I always get the feeling that people back in the day just used really big numbers (like a thousand, or ten thousand) to mean "a lot of dudes were there" much like the way we use millions and billions today.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is some kind of neat crop yield/storage analysis modeling that can get you to approximate populations and you can use some decent scale factors for army sizes based on approximate populations.

I always get the feeling that people back in the day just used really big numbers (like a thousand, or ten thousand) to mean "a lot of dudes were there" much like the way we use millions and billions today.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The Greeks had a big THING about recovering the dead, so certainly in small scale engagements if they say "our side had 128 dead and 7 missing" then you can think that that's a pretty good number because they went and pulled 128 bodies off the field and 7 guys were standing around going 'poo poo i can't find my brother, now he's going to go to one of the bad afterlives.' Whereas if they're talking about the otehr side they're going to go 'yeah, we totally killed bunch of their dudes. Like... bunches.'

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

P-Mack posted:

If you tried to mill at home they'd confiscate your grinding stone. One monastery paved their walkway with confiscated stones.
There it is. I knew the accounts I was reading were missing something, but I didn't know enough about the culture to see it. I guess they all just assumed the readers would know. When I was thinking about this idea of being unable to grind your own flour, I felt this instinctive sense of disgust. Then I realized what it really was- slavery in the form of thirlage. Thralls, serfs, call it whatever you like, a man who can't eat without permission is a slave.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 27, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Shut the gently caress up Keldoclock.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

the JJ posted:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The Greeks had a big THING about recovering the dead, so certainly in small scale engagements if they say "our side had 128 dead and 7 missing" then you can think that that's a pretty good number because they went and pulled 128 bodies off the field and 7 guys were standing around going 'poo poo i can't find my brother, now he's going to go to one of the bad afterlives.' Whereas if they're talking about the otehr side they're going to go 'yeah, we totally killed bunch of their dudes. Like... bunches.'

Thermopylae would be a perfect example of this wouldn't it? There were exactly 300 Royal Guards there and they killed millions of people! Apparently.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In Chinese 萬, wan can mean either "10,000", or "a really big number, guys!" and it's not necessarily clear from context.

Some times they just say "many tens of 萬, which narrows it down to somewhere between 200,000 and 900,000, if you take the source at face value.

(And then the actual number turns out to be like 15,000.)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hazzard posted:

Thermopylae would be a perfect example of this wouldn't it? There were exactly 300 Royal Guards there and they killed millions of people! Apparently.

Exactly 300 Spartiates, and like 5,500 Greeks, of which some 4000 withdrew after being outflanked by the Persians.

But yeah, that's a pretty classic example.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the JJ posted:

As we've seen with Eastern Front kill numbers, this is pretty common in modern warfare, too. You know exactly how many your side lost, because it's important to keep track, but your estimates for the enemy dead range from hilarious to impossible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

Thankfully most official records were mostly typewritten. Of course then you get ink that's faded all to hell and paper so thin you can see the next couple pages through it.

The most shocking part? Both those pages I showed you? Perfectly comprehensible to me without squinting.

ArchangeI posted:

If Fisher was around today he would write like half his mails in all caps.

God yes. He would have fit right in on the internet circa 1997. All 72 point fonts and random capitalized words.

And I love him so drat much for that fact.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 28, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Keldoclock posted:

There it is. I knew the accounts I was reading were missing something, but I didn't know enough about the culture to see it. I guess they all just assumed the readers would know. When I was thinking about this idea of being unable to grind your own flour, I felt this instinctive sense of disgust. Then I realized what it really was- slavery in the form of thirlage. Thralls, serfs, call it whatever you like, a man who can't eat without permission is a slave.

Since you live in 2015 CE, you are several times more dependent on another guy's labour/capital for your meals than a medieval farmer.

Pointless adolescent posturing like this is why people instinctively find your posts repulsive. hth

P-Mack posted:

In Chinese 萬, wan can mean either "10,000", or "a really big number, guys!" and it's not necessarily clear from context.

Some times they just say "many tens of 萬, which narrows it down to somewhere between 200,000 and 900,000, if you take the source at face value.

(And then the actual number turns out to be like 15,000.)

Chinese military histories always seem to play fast and loose with hard fact. Some Chinese "battles" are actually month-long campaigns, sometimes they're just narrative devices, and sometimes all the missing and deserted soldiers just get attached to a minor skirmish and we're supposed to be believe that 50,000 soldiers died assaulting a tiny outpost in the Gobi.gfnjk

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

cyberbug posted:

I grew up in a Lutheran country and I think I was told that the clergy did this because they didn't want anyone being able to even try to challenge their absolute authority as the mediators between man and god (and all the perks that came with it, such as being able to sell indulgences).

England did have a period where owning a bible was punishable by death, so I can see why American Protestants would have that notion that Catholics don't want people to have bibles.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's what I was taught when I was doing basic history in school. In Ireland. In the late 90's.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

That's what I was taught when I was doing basic history in school. In Ireland. In the late 90's.

Northern or Republic of?

Is Irish public education sorta anticlerical?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I... was not publicly educated.

Jesuits told me this. In the Republic.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Oh, well, the Jebbies, what do you expect

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Also, does public school mean in Ireland what it does in Britain or what it does in America?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

Now I'm extremely confused.

Millers were one of those natural monopolies, in that the lord built them, then got one guy to run. Everyone loathed that guy, because he could cut your flour with, idk, milled acorns or something. Basically a drug pusher... or a sausage manufacturer using that sweet, sweet "pink slime". Nobody liked the baker, either.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Why is milling wheat so important for an army? If you really needed to couldn't you just boil the grain and eat it like rice?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Squalid posted:

Why is milling wheat so important for an army? If you really needed to couldn't you just boil the grain and eat it like rice?
You can, and people still do today, but I'm pretty sure flour/bread keep better than boiled wheat, and offer more bioavailable calories.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Squalid posted:

Wheat can be made into porridge or bread. I'm not fully educated on the nutritional differences between the two, but I think a lot of it has to do with culture and prestige. Simple gruel is a poor man's food, less expensive than properly made bread. Bread is also easier to transport, as you can make loaves or hard crackers but can't easily transport barrels full of porridge unless you plan on cooking it fresh every time you need rations.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I'm only on like page 126 but I just wanted to say that I read Shattered Sword on the (repeated) advice of many goons, and it was awesome. I especially liked the discussion of Japan's command structure/personality issues and how it contributed in so many ways to the defeat, it's an angle I hadn't properly considered before. The analysis of bomb impacts was also fascinating from a perspective of ship construction and damage control - that one bomb (and one near-miss that damaged steering) effectively doomed the Akagi, for example, was kind of horrifying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Coucho Marx posted:

I'm only on like page 126 but I just wanted to say that I read Shattered Sword on the (repeated) advice of many goons, and it was awesome. I especially liked the discussion of Japan's command structure/personality issues and how it contributed in so many ways to the defeat, it's an angle I hadn't properly considered before. The analysis of bomb impacts was also fascinating from a perspective of ship construction and damage control - that one bomb (and one near-miss that damaged steering) effectively doomed the Akagi, for example, was kind of horrifying.

One big pickup I found with that book was how the problems faced by other parts of the axis were mirrored (though they arose independently) in the IJN, though this wasn't laid out in the text.

There's this narrow band of appropriate conditions, inside which the boat/tank/whatever would be quite effective. However, once you get out of that band, effectiveness drops off drastically and soon gives way to catastrophic failure. Like a tank that brews up when turning while reversing or a boat with probably 50 men who have any clue about even basic firefighting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

There's this narrow band of appropriate conditions, inside which the boat/tank/whatever would be quite effective. However, once you get out of that band, effectiveness drops off drastically and soon gives way to catastrophic failure. Like a tank that brews up when turning while reversing

The hell tank was that?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

chitoryu12 posted:

The hell tank was that?

Sounds like the Panther, combine a badly over-stressed engine and transmission with porous fuel lines and you get a machine that tries to kill itself via immolation fairly often.

Two of them caught fire just trying to disembark from a train before the battle of Kursk.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chitoryu12 posted:

The hell tank was that?

I want to say it was the Panther but I could be wrong. Ol' Firebug Ferd had a hand in a lot of very bad design choices.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

FAUXTON posted:

One big pickup I found with that book was how the problems faced by other parts of the axis were mirrored (though they arose independently) in the IJN, though this wasn't laid out in the text.

There's this narrow band of appropriate conditions, inside which the boat/tank/whatever would be quite effective. However, once you get out of that band, effectiveness drops off drastically and soon gives way to catastrophic failure. Like a tank that brews up when turning while reversing or a boat with probably 50 men who have any clue about even basic firefighting.

I always got the feeling that it stemmed more out of tactics and the aggressive nature of the Axis powers - they expected to be on the offense a lot of the time, so had less to fall back on doctrine-and-leadership-wise when forced into any other role. Look at Phillipine Sea: outnumbered in every way, the IJN still tried to go for their 'decisive battle'. I guess it was to some extent, in the end, just not in their favour.

The rest, I thought, came down to design and operational quirks. Most IJN carriers had unarmoured decks and awful firefighing capacity. The Mitsubishi Zero was a lethal fighter that rewarded elite piloting skills - but even elite pilots can't avoid every bullet, and the Zero took hits like a wet paper bag, so losses were inevitable. They didn't put much stock into scouting, since every plane scouting was a plane that couldn't attack you gotta be attacking all the time attack attack ATTACK

And it's not like the Allies are innocent in this regard, either. Many USN carriers had unarmoured flight decks too, and they lost some because of it. The M3 Lee was pretty sucky, I'm sure the problems with American torpedoes have been covered already by someone in the thread, and a whole slew of planes and other vehicles were just crap when WW2 kicked off.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The most shocking part? Both those pages I showed you? Perfectly comprehensible to me without squinting.
yeah, by now i can read most of my documents without much effort

edit: most official records i read are written by professional secretaries, and those dudes are great. nice looking writing that's easy to read. all the big officers have secretaries too, but in this culture if you write something with your own hand it's more emotionally meaningful so the stuff that's most important to them is least legible

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 28, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Coucho Marx posted:

The rest, I thought, came down to design and operational quirks. Most IJN carriers had unarmoured decks and awful firefighing capacity. The Mitsubishi Zero was a lethal fighter that rewarded elite piloting skills - but even elite pilots can't avoid every bullet, and the Zero took hits like a wet paper bag, so losses were inevitable. They didn't put much stock into scouting, since every plane scouting was a plane that couldn't attack you gotta be attacking all the time attack attack ATTACK

Ahem, a wet paper bag can at least tolerate exposure to flames, unlike the Mitsubishi Zero.

Unless you mean said paper bag is wet from AvGas? v:v:v

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Coucho Marx posted:

And it's not like the Allies are innocent in this regard, either. Many USN carriers had unarmoured flight decks too, and they lost some because of it. The M3 Lee was pretty sucky, I'm sure the problems with American torpedoes have been covered already by someone in the thread, and a whole slew of planes and other vehicles were just crap when WW2 kicked off.

The whole 'unarmoured flight deck' thing is a bit misleading, because its sometimes put across (usually by British people) that 'hurf durf stupid Americans didn't think to armour their flight decks, stupid yanks.' When in fact it was a conscious decision to have an unarmoured flight deck and allow a double stacked hangar, thus allowing a bigger aircraft wing and more CAP fighters. Prevention is better than cure and all that. Also, while it's impressive that HMS Illustrious could survive an absolute pounding from kamikazes and stay afloat, she had half as many planes as an Essex class and those planes were not nearly as good as American carrier planes.

Plus there's the minor fact that the kamikazes had cracked the ships superstructure so she had to go in for major repairs anyway :v:

As for the M3 Lee that was nothing more than a stopgap while the Sherman was developed. IIRC the method of casting a turret large enough for what was needed for the Sherman was still being developed, so a big enough gun was stuck on a sponson on a decent automotive chassis and sent out. It performed fine in North Africa, the Soviets hated it because they already had something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Also, does public school mean in Ireland what it does in Britain or what it does in America?

Same as America, a state run school.

cyberbug posted:

If you received an education in Ireland at any point from the early medieval up to the time of the hedge schools then you were at least familiar with Latin so if you wanted to read a bible you probably could. My guess is that there were professionals around who's job was to do the bible stuff so why bother. The clergy in Ireland only really becomes a significant factor after the destruction of the Gaelic noble class in the 17th century, and reach the kind of unchallengeable power we used to associate with them in the 19th century.

• Locked thread