Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Junkyard Poodle posted:

What episode will Fat Damon snap?

Well the lesbian hairdresser saw the hole in the windshield, doncha know. She's gonna be a problem.

Mary Jane might need to call in her paladin when said hairdresser is cornered and alone at that seminar.

This show is really great. Looking forward to whatever the hell the UFO thing is building up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Anybody else catch in the second episode when Dunst was looking in the garage about 55 minutes in the song playing in the background?

"Kansas City".

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

clown shoes posted:

I wonder if Dunst's hit and run was inspired by an actual event in Texas back in 2001. It's one of those stories that stays with you years later because it was so cruel and unusual. Whoever called her a monster was right on the money.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gregory_Glen_Biggs

Even more interesting (to me, anyway) is the real world UFO encounter by a state trooper in Minnesota in 1979. If you want to know where this UFO stuff is leading, that's probably a safe bet. I'm pretty sure the X-Files did an episode about that particular case as well.

[edit] Sherrif Deputy, not State Trooper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Johnson_incident

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I thought for sure Fat Damon was gonna fall through the ice in the car and his wife would have to explain that scene.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I wonder if Ted Danson will say that he had an odd case back in the day and the next season will take place in the forties or fifties with young Ted Danson as the protagonist.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
Wow, the UK broadcast just didn't have Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds at the end. Just the normal score instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord Tywin posted:

I wonder if Ted Danson will say that he had an odd case back in the day and the next season will take place in the forties or fifties with young Ted Danson as the protagonist.

I would have no problem with season 10 of Fargo being set during the Civil War.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jake Armitage posted:

Even more interesting (to me, anyway) is the real world UFO encounter by a state trooper in Minnesota in 1979. If you want to know where this UFO stuff is leading, that's probably a safe bet. I'm pretty sure the X-Files did an episode about that particular case as well.

[edit] Sherrif Deputy, not State Trooper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Johnson_incident
Yesssssssssssssssssssss.

More True Detective than True Detective.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The following shot is after Peggy nervously explains why she thinks Betty Solverson's hit and run theory theory is wrong -

Someone has pieced things together.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Episode 3 had some moments where my suspension of belief became, uh, un-suspended. Kinda like some people were saying after episode 2. A few scenes seemed cartoony and overwrought, but not for much of any purpose.

I didn't understand the point of the scene in the typewriter store with Lou and the prog rockers (lol). It establishes that the KC guys were poking around there, but other than that...? It didn't help that it had the awkwardest Mexican standoff ever, where all the gun dudes act like it's a super tense moment but then the resolution is "well OK I'll be going then..." "no we will be going then, heh owned :smug:".

The blacktop scene was also kinda eye-rolly for me. Dodd is a macho jerk, yep. Oh now he's going to kill a dude in a creepy way, great. Maybe some elements of this will be important later but it seemed rather like the writers just pulled an example out the Crime Story Cliche paint-by-numbers book.

e:

I didn't think it was an awful episode, though. The lead-up to the standoff outside the Gerhardt estate was great. And the little shot of babby Molly watching TV :3:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 27, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The blacktop scene was also kinda eye-rolly for me. Dodd is a macho jerk, yep. Oh now he's going to kill a dude in a creepy way, great. Maybe some elements of this will be important later but it seemed rather like the writers just pulled an example out the Crime Story Cliche paint-by-numbers book.

I think that scene was to further solidify that Dodd resolves any and all problems with violence (and cruel violence at that), as opposed to his mother (and even Bear!) who take a more nuanced, careful and accommodating approach. Dodd is shortsighted and demands immediacy in all his dealings, no subtlety or holding his cards close to his chest.

I really dig how, despite looking like a giant lunkhead, Bear seems to have his head on straight and be a thoughtful, in some ways even progressive guy.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

It gave Milligan, a black dude in the seventies, a chance to exercise authority over a white cop. That's like seeing a unicorn gently caress a pegasus, a thing that just doesn't happen. Solverson is dead. He knows it, Mike knows it and the twins know it.

Mike won't let him retreat, but he will give Solverson mercy because he chooses to. He dictates the conversation and controls the scene because he can.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Jerusalem posted:

I think that scene was to further solidify that Dodd resolves any and all problems with violence (and cruel violence at that), as opposed to his mother (and even Bear!) who take a more nuanced, careful and accommodating approach. Dodd is shortsighted and demands immediacy in all his dealings, no subtlety or holding his cards close to his chest.

I really dig how, despite looking like a giant lunkhead, Bear seems to have his head on straight and be a thoughtful, in some ways even progressive guy.

I don't know that they're going for this symbolism directly, but Dodd strikes me as a Sonny type from The Godfather. Hotheaded, all about brute force, doesn't pay mind to the consequences of violence. He's going to end up shot soon, I bet, just like Sonny did. Leave the gun, take the cannoli, don'cha know.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The scene let Solverson and Milligan meet. That's all it needed to be.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

jfood posted:

It gave Milligan, a black dude in the seventies, a chance to exercise authority over a white cop. That's like seeing a unicorn gently caress a pegasus, a thing that just doesn't happen.

Yeah but he did this last episode too. Ugh, you're still probably right.

quote:

Solverson is dead. He knows it, Mike knows it and the twins know it.

Thinking about this more, I think I was actually reading the scene all wrong (and I think you're wrong too). Milligan and crew aren't going to gun down Lou. They didn't do it when they got stopped by Hank out in the middle of nowhere, so they certainly aren't going to do it in downtown Fargo during business hours. Rather I think the scene is more about Lou's naivete. Unlike Hank, who keeps his cool, Lou immediately draws his gun and pretends that his badge means he's in control. This, despite him being wayyy out of his jurisdiction, and never dealing with anyone like these guys before.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Gerhardt Estate standoff was unbelievably tense. Great job showing the difference between small town cop and city cop who didn't have dealings with these folk.

That post earlier ranting about the locations in the series really helped me out. I thought that a major crime syndicate setting up in a small town was just a surreal touch we were supposed to accept, and I thought all the locations were fairly close together. Makes more sense now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Also, if anyone missed it, this week's reference to Fargo the film was Lou's theory early in the episode over the restaurant murders, "for a little bit of money."

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah but he did this last episode too. Ugh, you're still probably right.

Thinking about this more, I think I was actually reading the scene all wrong (and I think you're wrong too). Milligan and crew aren't going to gun down Lou. They didn't do it when they got stopped by Hank out in the middle of nowhere, so they certainly aren't going to do it in downtown Fargo during business hours. Rather I think the scene is more about Lou's naivete. Unlike Hank, who keeps his cool, Lou immediately draws his gun and pretends that his badge means he's in control. This, despite him being wayyy out of his jurisdiction, and never dealing with anyone like these guys before.

In the car stop with Larrson, Hank was in control. It's a bullshit stop and a petty injustice but one you know Milligan has lived through before, there's no need to force it into anything other than what it is. It will end when Larrson wants it to end and Milligan really can't see anything coming from it.

You're absolutely correct that Mike wouldn't have ordered the Kitchen boys to kill Solverson. Killing a cop is the nuclear option and it's pointless, going against everything he's trying to accomplish. The Kitchen boys wouldn't go off mission with Milligan there either. But that no less makes Solverson a walking dead man in that scene, his life belongs to Mike. Because, like you say, he is naive and pretty loving far off the reservation. He walks into an unknown with a bad hand, then plays it poorly. Solverson puts himself in a bad way and Mike is just tickled to exploit it, but much like the car stop with Larrson he wouldn't force it. It's the wrong time to be that brazen.

The red, the black, Mike spreading Kansas City's influence... makes me think of the Four Horsemen. Which would make Bulo the stand-in for Hunger. The mafia's all consuming desire to make it all their own, that slick corporate greed he brings. Plus, always eating or wanting to eat in every scene so far. Apropos of nothing.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

jfood posted:

The red, the black, Mike spreading Kansas City's influence... makes me think of the Four Horsemen. Which would make Bulo the stand-in for Hunger. The mafia's all consuming desire to make it all their own, that slick corporate greed he brings. Plus, always eating or wanting to eat in every scene so far. Apropos of nothing.

I think it's Famine, not Hunger, and it rides the black horse.

I think food is a big part of the symbolism for this season, though. Bear is eating in every single appearance, except the time he was sharpening the axe. Rye is named for bread and Skip is named for peanut butter. The murders are in a diner, with the milkshake mixing with the blood. The recipes of the world. Ed the butcher.

UFOs are getting a lot of attention, but food seems like the biggest thematic thoroughfare.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I didn't realize that his name was actually "Rye" until this episode. I thought they were calling him "Ry" for "Ryan".

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I'm hoping we haven't seen the last of Rye. Someone with ulterior motives could easily take advantage of his current status..

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

MrBuddyLee posted:

I'm hoping we haven't seen the last of Rye. Someone with ulterior motives could easily take advantage of his current status..

Rye on rye

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
That would be sweet too, though I was more hoping that an alien that watched Rye's demise would shapeshift into his role for a scene or two.

If not Rye, then Reagan for sure is an alien. Youbetcha.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The tension during Lou's stand-off scenes was fantastic. I love how he can't keep his mouth shut. Patrick Wilson is doing a great job.

For some reason the other scene that stuck with me was the shampoo scene. There is something very comical about these mob/hitmen guys worrying about shampoo quality and usability.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Arkane posted:

Well the lesbian hairdresser saw the hole in the windshield, doncha know. She's gonna be a problem.

Mary Jane might need to call in her paladin when said hairdresser is cornered and alone at that seminar.

This show is really great. Looking forward to whatever the hell the UFO thing is building up to.

I thought Dunst calling him a paladin was a nice little touch to the dialogue. It made her come across as a person who learns a new word and tries to force it into the conversation, which seems to be exactly the type of person she is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I personally appreciate every time someone uses the word paladin not in relation to fantasy.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is that mcually caulkin???!

*googles fargo mcaully caulkin*

Brother of Mcaully Caulkin? :laffo: Well, guess that's another point for me in the "doesn't suffer from face blindness" tally

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Anyone else catch that scene when they are on the bus and having a 'conversation' without talking? What was up with that?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dirty Beluga posted:

Anyone else catch that scene when they are on the bus and having a 'conversation' without talking? What was up with that?

The magic of television. Editing.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
The supernatural alien music played during that scene.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dirty Beluga posted:

They already had the conversation earlier. They did not have it on the bus, in public, surrounded by people.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
An interview with the creator. He also explains every goon's randomly favorite pet-peeve: split-screen.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-andy-greenwald-podcast-fargo-showrunner-noah-hawley-2/

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dirty Beluga posted:

Fat Damon and Mary Jane are aliens who can communicate telepathically

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dirty Beluga posted:

You see this is in shows before it cuts away to the next scene where their mouths are moving but it did not seem to happen that time.
It's kind of awkward I guess? It was insofar as I actively noticed it, which is probably not a good sign.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Ehud posted:

Fat Damon and Mary Jane are aliens who can communicate telepathically

She's an alien who eats human burgers. He's a human being manipulated by her telepathy.

edit: Oh and she also has some weird alien need for excessive toilet paper.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Dirty Beluga posted:

Im sure it was a conversation they had later out of public, so you could see their faces still trying to keep up appearances with what they were thinking.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Also, if anyone missed it, this week's reference to Fargo the film was Lou's theory early in the episode over the restaurant murders, "for a little bit of money."

Also Bear's son talking about half a car.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

sout posted:

You see this is in shows before it cuts away to the next scene where their mouths are moving but it did not seem to happen that time.
It's kind of awkward I guess? It was insofar as I actively noticed it, which is probably not a good sign.

I really liked that scene as an artsy thing the director thought of,, and in my mind they didn't actually have the dialogue at a different time.
I think it was quite nicely done; the actors were playing out that dialogue with body language and looks.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sout posted:

I didn't personally find it to be awkward. It felt like real life moments where you have certain kinds of conversations with an SO or close friend, then you're just kind of left in contemplative silence because there's nothing else to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I thought that scene was very well done.

• Locked thread