Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

chrisoya posted:

So the priority order is...

360 controller
Cheap HOTAS
TrackIR
Proper HOTAS
Pedals
Buttkicker Gamer 2
Rez Trance Vibrator

Right?

Looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

You could also get an Edtracker rather than track ir, cheaper and works just as well. http://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/shop/edtracker-pro

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Thronde posted:

CH products? For head tracker stuff? Never heard of them. I have heard horror stories about trying to work trackIR to be just how you like.
I think he was referring to their pedals specifically (CH Pro Pedals), though their sticks are also quite well regarded (also expensive).

My question to you would be, are you sure you actually want a HOTAS setup? Are you currently using a stick that you're looking to upgrade from?

If you already have a decent stick, you may want to consider just adding a separate throttle (like the CH Pro Throttle).

I would highly recommend some sort of head tracking regardless, though you don't need to spend a ton of money on TrackIR specifically. If you're open to fiddling with things a bit, the opentrack software is free, you just need a compatible webcam and you can build your own IR clip for a few bucks if you're handy with a soldering iron (or just buy a DelanClip). If you go that way and then decide you want the real deal TrackIR later, you can save a few bucks this way and skip getting their TrackClip, which is notoriously fragile. EDTracker is another option, but it's 3-axis only (yaw, pitch, and roll) while opentrack and TrackIR both track in 6 degrees (as before, but add panning left/right, up/down, and leaning forward/back). That's not a big deal for Elite, but if you ever want to fiddle with actual flight sims it's a really nice thing to have. Regardless of which option you go with, it's very difficult to play without some sort of head tracking once you've had a good taste.

I just run with a stick (Thrustmaster T.16000m) and keyboard plus opentrack and haven't felt any need to go much farther than that. I might pick up some pedals if I happen to see the CH ones on sale or something, but I'd also have more uses for those than just Elite.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Slashrat posted:

the mouse thumbstick on the X52 Pro throttle is pretty sweet for looking around, but obviously a headtracking setup would be better.

There are registry hacks that allow you to assign control axes (ie. your lateral thrusters) to the mouse thumbstick for most Saitek HOTAS products, so long as you're OK with sacrificing the dials on the throttle.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bargearse posted:

There are registry hacks that allow you to assign control axes (ie. your lateral thrusters) to the mouse thumbstick for most Saitek HOTAS products, so long as you're OK with sacrificing the dials on the throttle.

I have had no problems at all with my Fly 5 Stick, the thrusters up/down left/right are on the thumbstick, I have the 2 throttles tied together and used for forward/back split and I have my EDTracker for the look.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Xae posted:

Sothis smuggling may have died down, but it still owns for doing this.

Ceos is the only inhabited system near by so you can reroll the board for 50 "Kill pirates" missions and do them all at once.

Ceos and Sothis are fed, right? is there a similar place to do this for empire ranks?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

Also everybody who spends all their money on flight sim stuff should get a Buttkicker Gamer 2. Being able to feel your engine hum, cannon fire and explosions around you is loving cool as balls. This goes double if you play War Thunder or any other plane/tank game.

I was thinking about it but I play with headphones

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
For anyone participating in the Kaushpoos community goal, has anyone else grown to hate that loving brown dwarf with the pristine metallic ring in HIP 43296 as much as I do? I don't think I've ever taken as much heat damage just doing random things than I've taken this week.

sincx posted:

How much are you getting per hour with mining?

I've been able to get 2.5 to 3 MCr/hr doing single hop trade runs (9 minutes per roundtrip) in an Asp at minimal risk, so I figure once I get a python I can at least double that to 5-6 MCr/hr. Still haven't found anything that beats that.

5M/hr is probably in the ballpark for what I'm doing. However I'm a lazy rear end who's not into grinding and who's definitely not hung up on maxing credits/hour, though, so I'm a terrible person to ask. I just want to shoot rocks and make limpets whir around and do my bidding like some kind of space techno wizard. Also I have absolutely no problem with sitting in a station and absently-mindedly scumming missions for a half hour while watching YouTube videos.

Anyway, since I got my mining Python, I think my record for a single run (with lots of mission scumming) is 8.6M, and that was a decent load but with very little painite. I could probably hit 10M in a single run if I really put my mind to it, but it would probably take a couple hours when you factor in piecemealing out all the P/P/O.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Adult Sword Owner posted:

That's exactly what the buttkicker works best with. You know a big subwoofer? A buttkicker is a silent one you clip to your chair. Sit on the chair you "hear" it. Stand up, you can't.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

That's exactly what the buttkicker works best with. You know a big subwoofer? A buttkicker is a silent one you clip to your chair. Sit on the chair you "hear" it. Stand up, you can't.

But your neighbors sure can.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Oh nice I thought it was more of a subwoofer type deal

Also I could never go back from my iClipper. Flew past a SysAuth in a Sidewinder, flicked a yaw and smacked him with my wing, sent him spinning off into space with collapsed shields and 50% hull

Good loving times

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
that's the most perfect spacebro thing i have ever heard

"yeah man, flyin past a sysauth in a sidey, flicked a mad yaw and winged him to fiddy hull bro, good times, aw sheeit"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

As noted, it's actually great with headphones. You get the "feel" of a huge subwoofer with a fraction of the noise, complementing the bass tones you hear in your headphones.

I haven't had any noise complaints, either from neighbors or from my girlfriend, including when she's sleeping in the next room. As long as it doesn't rattle a loose part of your chair (i.e. you go around your chair with a screwdriver and tighten everything up) and you don't blast max intensity all the time, it's not very loud at all. If needed, there are a few tips out there to dampen it.

I'll note that there are DIY guides out there to make a bass shaker out of a subwoofer or big speaker for cheap, so that's an option if you enjoy tinkering, have a thrift store nearby, and don't want to spend $150.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Here is how you DIY a bass shaker:https://www.parts-express.com/cat/tactile-transducers-exciters-bass-shakers/18

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LCL-Dead posted:

But your neighbors sure can.

I assure you, they can't. It isn't a subwoofer, this doesn't make any noise. The most noise you will hear from a transducer (aka the buttkicker) is the rattling of your chair you have it clipped to if it has rattley bits. You can't feel it standing *right* next to it, you have to be sitting in the chair to feel it. It's pretty wild when you first use it but after a while you take it for granted.
I know that the Buttkicker and similar devices have a 'lol nerd garbage' aura about them and I can dig that, but I get a hell of a lot more use out of a butt jigglin' clamped-on-chair transducer than I do out of my HOTAS I bought for Elite as I can to use the buttkicker with anything that makes noise. Shows, games and especially music. Music with a transducer owns owns owns. I can not overstate how rad a buttkicker is.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I've gotta say, I like using a PS4 controller more than any HOTAS setup I've used, but the lack of buttons are getting to me. (So is :frontear: and their lovely detection of "xbox 360" controls on PC; when trying to rebind controls, half the time it's "JOY #", half the time it's the actual button, and sometimes it's both :wtc:)

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Why is the headtrack thing so important? I use the $50 Thrustmaster and the layout posted a few pages back and have absolutely zero issue navigating headlook with it, way easier than even a mouse.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Why is the headtrack thing so important? I use the $50 Thrustmaster and the layout posted a few pages back and have absolutely zero issue navigating headlook with it, way easier than even a mouse.

You'd have even less issues if you had headtracking as you can use it without your hands. It's another one of those things that you don't know you were missing until you use it. Then you go 'ohhhhh' and tell everyone else to get some sort of head tracking as well.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've gotta say, I like using a PS4 controller more than any HOTAS setup I've used, but the lack of buttons are getting to me. (So is :frontear: and their lovely detection of "xbox 360" controls on PC; when trying to rebind controls, half the time it's "JOY #", half the time it's the actual button, and sometimes it's both :wtc:)
The game's probably detecting it like that because that's what windows is reporting it as, you can't really blame frontier for that poo poo.

Try this out, it might help: http://ds4windows.com/

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tooterfish posted:

The game's probably detecting it like that because that's what windows is reporting it as, you can't really blame frontier for that poo poo.

Try this out, it might help: http://ds4windows.com/

DS4 is what I'm using, I might need to tweak the settings on it. It's just odd:

In the custom config I have based off of "Simple Controller with Yaw", I straight up just can't rebind anything that's mapped as a "controller" button. So I still have ship lights bound to a thing that could be used as something else (:downs:). But, additionally, say I bind the "B" button to some other function, it'll be bound as "Joy 7" , resulting in that button being both boost and whatever else I bound it to.

I tried fiddling with the advanced controller config, and (for example) binding something to R1+L1 shows the binding as "RB + JOY 5 + LB + JOY 6", which is the real what the christ.

It just seems to be doing some weird pseudo-combo where it's both detecting the controller as a generic controller in addition to DS4's XInput stuff, and binding items treats it like I've just happened to hit buttons on two different controllers at the same time. It's really funky.

e: The :frontear: is really about the fact that you can't rebind default controller buttons in some controller configs but not others, specifically the "simple" vs "advanced" controller schemes, even if you custom tweak them to be otherwise identical. It's like a hidden "gently caress you" where you have to go in and rebind everything to taste after finding out that one control setup is a read-only trap.

e2: I guess double controller is a known issue for DS4 in Win10 and needs some fun workarounds. Whatever!

e3: oh my dear lord that's so much better thank every based god there is

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 28, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

If I'm going for a 3d heatset as soon as they come out is it even worth going with TrackIR?

Do any other games actually use it?

It's drat expensive for the unit and the clip

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I use TrackIR only for this space game and I consider it Highly loving Worth It.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

If I'm going for a 3d heatset as soon as they come out is it even worth going with TrackIR?

Do any other games actually use it?

It's drat expensive for the unit and the clip

Use the EDTracker pro.

You lose some of the depth tracking (side to side/up and down/front to back) that you'd have with the IR Tracker but it still gives you yaw/roll/pitch axis coverage.

To answer your other question: IR Tracker Pro and devices like it are best used in sim type games, though lots of games can be made to support them through joystick emulation software like OpenTrack.

Normal Track IR usage: ARMA 3, Flight Sim, Janes Fighter games, DCS, etc..

It's a great edition to Elite but I plan to forgo the hefty price tag and spend the money on the ED Tracker instead.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

RubberJohnny posted:

Wow that stream of the expansion didn't generate a single comment in here then?

It looks pretty boring tbh, and even more content/variety starved than the base game.

vOv there wasn't really much to add after last weeks really, it was more of a supplemental like, "oh yeah you have a gun and it works and here's one of the smaller scenarios." wrecks looked really good and it definitely helps with the sense of scale. First thing i'm going to do is find the smallest planetoid i can and see if i can get the SRV into a stable orbit via boosters and rampin' it. Definitely interested to see the ground-based starports.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They pretty much said they are avoiding showing us much more now so that we experience it for ourselves. I was hoping to see him fight a ton of enemies but maaaaan did he suck at moving and shooting.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

LCL-Dead posted:

Use the EDTracker pro.

You lose some of the depth tracking (side to side/up and down/front to back) that you'd have with the IR Tracker but it still gives you yaw/roll/pitch axis coverage.

To answer your other question: IR Tracker Pro and devices like it are best used in sim type games, though lots of games can be made to support them through joystick emulation software like OpenTrack.

Normal Track IR usage: ARMA 3, Flight Sim, Janes Fighter games, DCS, etc..

It's a great edition to Elite but I plan to forgo the hefty price tag and spend the money on the ED Tracker instead.

Whoa if EDTracker works as well as it does in my imagination, it would solve pretty much all the nagging problems that make me loving hate my TrackIR.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'd suggest buying the whole pro, pre-assembled and flashed. I tried to source the parts when I was looking to get one to DIY (board with case) but when you take into account the magnometer it's really difficult to beat the price of the ready to go one. I got a limited run that came with a nice cable (and was slightly dicounted), but it's still very worth it at that price.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

How do I actually get to Avril Lavigne's territory? I'm in Erevate and just pledged to her and I've tried to plot a route to every single galaxy she owns but they're all "route unavailable".

e: Upgraded my FSD, that was the issue. Nevermind!

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 28, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So I spent some time in a HiRES popping pirates. The field was very well lit, but after my last resupply run my luck ran out on getting good spawns, so I hopped out after a while to try again. Except this time when I left the area, I found the ring in absolute shadow, and reentering the HiRES saw it in the same state. What the gently caress?

Oh yeah and the FDS is a pretty good fixed weapon trainer. Four fixed C2 burst lasers and one gimballed C3 cannon has been entertaining.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sard posted:

So I spent some time in a HiRES popping pirates. The field was very well lit, but after my last resupply run my luck ran out on getting good spawns, so I hopped out after a while to try again. Except this time when I left the area, I found the ring in absolute shadow, and reentering the HiRES saw it in the same state. What the gently caress?

Oh yeah and the FDS is a pretty good fixed weapon trainer. Four fixed C2 burst lasers and one gimballed C3 cannon has been entertaining.
:frontear:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

RES rotate around their planets, so the shadow cast by the planet will darken the ring

It's really cool when it's dark but also a god drat pain in the rear end.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Your ship actually has headlights. Press "L" to turn them on. Usually it's enough of a warning. Usually.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Your ship actually has headlights. Press "L" to turn them on. Usually it's enough of a warning. Usually.

I'm gonna laugh if headlights are the single variable that effects whether you're scanned while smuggling.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Oh I know about dark patches and all that, what was weird was the suddenness. I'm guessing that the HiRES instance area doesn't move, but the warp-in mark from supercruise does, so if you sit in it long enough you'll be teleported to the new SC location. e: scratch that, in this session the lighting changed over time.

On the one hand, I didn't care about the rocks because the FDS is pretty tough. On the other hand, it is super drifty and I sure as hell did not risk boosting wildly.

Sard fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 29, 2015

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I am so loving lost with the Powerplay stuff.

Aligned with Lavine. Go to one of the systems that has Crime Zones or whatever, start attacking enemy ships. Other Lavine aligned players target me, shoot me down, and I have to pay to replace my ship.

How do you do anything in this? I'm totally lost. Why are allied players shooting me down?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Because players are total loving assholes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Aligned with Lavine. Go to one of the systems that has Crime Zones or whatever, start attacking enemy ships. Other Lavine aligned players target me, shoot me down, and I have to pay to replace my ship.

How do you do anything in this? I'm totally lost. Why are allied players shooting me down?

You're taking their targets. They're willing to suffer merit loss to dissuade you from playing.

Powerplay is ill conceived.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
While I did write up a big loving guide for the op about powerplay, my advice is to only dip your feet in for rank 2 bonuses or rank 3 for modules once you've got your 4 weeks pledged. There are supposed to be powerplay missions and potentially other changes to it coming in 1.5 or shortly after, but until then powerplay is simply a bad deal to go deep into ever since the changes to npc spawns in supercruise and the changes to interdictions.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Powerplay is dumb, ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shine posted:

Powerplay is dumb, ignore it.

Counterpoint: pledge with SpaceMom and maintain rank two for that sweet sweet bounty bonus.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 29, 2015

• Locked thread