Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Velveteen posted:

I noticed that you cannot make guilds in this game. I looked it up and found out that you need to pick a special hidden class (not available to play yet) to be allowed to make guilds. Thats the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

Where did you see this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ran into a hidden mine part, level 105 mobs. Noooope

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Dawnfire posted:

Someone mentioned an IRC linked to the slack chat? Anychance that's up and working now?

Thanks for the answer.

https://slack.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201727913-Connecting-to-Slack-over-IRC-and-XMPP

Follow the steps there to connect to the slack group through IRC. You have to have joined it already to get access to the IRC gateway, so do that through the web or desktop client, and then do the stuff in the link.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Where did you see this

I did a google search and this was the only thing I could find on guilds.

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/guild-making-class-templar/11363

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If its true that does suck, but depending on how they do it could be cool? Idk

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
$NoData$QUEST_UNUSED_20151001_000394$

known issue in the town square?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Logged in for 3 min. I'm done.

I gave it the ole try.

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

Velveteen posted:

I noticed that you cannot make guilds in this game. I looked it up and found out that you need to pick a special hidden class (not available to play yet) to be allowed to make guilds. Thats the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

Ya, and its like rank 8. I'll be poopsocking a templar once we can actually poopsock to that level.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
PSA: Don't respec your skills with unspent points. You may lose the unspent points. Maybe permanently. I haven't figured out how to get mine back yet.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Put in a good 4 hours today and got to lvl 35.
First impressions:
Combat is really satisfying. The animation, responsiveness, and sound all line up really well. Skills seem to do quite a bit of damage, generally cost a lot of SP, and have relatively long cooldowns compared to other games. The end result is meaningful movement and timing to make the best use out of your precious CDs/SP feels very rewarding. Frequent mini-bosses and boss fights are refreshing, and there's a lot of punishing boss skills to jump over/move out of and telegraphing to learn. Unfortunately, bosses sometimes have a lot of HP and there are times when you are avoiding the same obvious swipe move 20 or 25 times in a fight.

My biggest complaint is that leveling (so far) is almost completely based on quests and quest nodes. Leveling in ToS feels like leveling in WoW, and partying with people comes with a lot of catch-up and re-doing quests to get everyone at the same point. I'm not sure how the exp rates are going to be at launch or later levels, but right now it feels very off. There's entire maps that you can finish in 5-15 minutes and never need to return to.

Overall the game is still a lot of fun. I'm definitely looking forward to the first actual instance and some more difficult content.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Whatever happened with RO2 and RO Legend of the Second and whatever other horrible games they made?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Concurred posted:

Whatever happened with RO2 and RO Legend of the Second and whatever other horrible games they made?

To put it one way: the official Gravity forums have/had a word filter that automatically changed all entries of "Tree of Savior".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
bosses at low levels have way too much health since auto attacks do piss damage and you dont have the SP or skills to do much else yet. otherwise game is cool when you can actually talk to npcs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Concurred posted:

RO2 Gate of the World (2007) was an autistic mess that didn't innovate or capture the excitement of RO1 and flopped. RO2 Legend of the Second (2012) was a bland mess that didn't innovate or capture the excitement of RO1 and flopped. GungHo Online Entertainment (Japanese), who previously hosted the RO1 Japanese servers, got big enough to literally buy out Gravity in 2008. They've otherwise made several tiny low-risk, low-reward projects with the Ragnarok name slapped on to them ever since.

It's too bad, because Yoko Kanno's audio assets (i.e. her beautiful music) was pretty much the best thing in those. Except they often weren't used in very appropriate places at all.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 28, 2015

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Yo can swordsman use 2H swords?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

has anyone had any luck rebinding controls

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
If found a recipe for goat horns, and decided to grind them a bit. Gave up half way and bought the rest of the mats on the market and now its done!

I was expecting something bigger, like Bapho horns in RO but this is cute too so its ok. I need more hats!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

strong bird posted:

has anyone had any luck rebinding controls

Sort of? I removed the binding for Weapon Swap from LS click on my controller so I can use it for PTT. Then rebound the key to the extra shoulder buttons I have.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the experience curve has a hell level

http://www.tosbase.com/game/exp-tables/base/

go look at level 46 and 47

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

So the server took a poo poo during my level through 50 to 51, I ended up just going into 51 without the fanfare, never got a stat point for it either. I'm wondering if it'll fix itself on my next level up but probably not.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
hatte

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Just got some Goggles. Ragnarok's back, baby!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Third World Reggin posted:

the experience curve has a hell level

http://www.tosbase.com/game/exp-tables/base/

go look at level 46 and 47

This explains a lot.

I was about to come in and report that the exp curve hadn't actually been fixed, they just postponed the exp "drought" by one or two zones into the 40's instead of late 20's like the first test, but then suddenly the exp started flowing like water again and I caught back up to the level of the zones I was in after leaving Tenet chapel. The level of the next outdoor zone is also actually lower than the end of the Tenet chapel dungeon too, which contributed somewhat to this hiccup.

Does nobody have an explanation for the weapon/basic attack damage question I posed earlier? I'm totally stumped and it feels like I'm missing something fundamental about the game mechanics.

Also, in the first test there was an option setting to show the numeric exp gain on each kill as floating text and it was really helpful for figuring out which enemies were best to hunt, but I can't seem to find this setting anymore. Anyone else find a way to turn it on?

Scoss fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 28, 2015

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
If I'm planning on going Necromancer (for literally no other reason than there is a skill called Summon Shoggoth), what sort of build should I do up to that?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Scoss posted:

Does nobody have an explanation for the weapon/basic attack damage question I posed earlier? I'm totally stumped and it feels like I'm missing something fundamental about the game mechanics.

The mace has a lower base damage range, is it possible that the game is ignoring the upgrades for some reason?

Tekma
Apr 27, 2006

That exp table is insane. No wonder the Tenet chapel is feeling like a huge slowdown from earlier game. Good to know that it gets better again. Fighting monsters almost 10 levels above is not really fun as a swordsman.

Speaking of swordsman, I feel sort of underpowered compared to a cleric friend. Resting up hp as a swordie takes a million years compared to resting up sp. He outdamages me heavily as well. Basically just outclassing me in every way. Hoping that this improves going into higher rank classes, but I'm sort of disappointed by the lack of weapon options (like a 2 hander early on) and healing options on swordsman. Chugging potions all the time eats up my already non-existent funds. I am a second circle swordie, planning on going barbarian next. How's highlander or peltast at second circle?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Tekma posted:

I am a second circle swordie, planning on going barbarian next. How's highlander or peltast at second circle?

There's your problem.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Don't go c2 swordsman it blows. I ran into a c2 swordsman around level 30 that was begging for help to kill bosses so another goon and I obliged and I hope he feels real bad about his choice after seeing the magnificence of cartar stroke. Highlander 2 shots bosses with cartar stroke and peltasta looks good too. If you're level ~34 and the enemies suddenly jump to 42, you've missed a lot of quests. Which is understandable, because right after the mines the game stops marking npcs with quests on the map or in any other way and you need to talk to every npc you see to find quests. Hope you don't miss them among the throng of people standing around it waiting for the dialogue to stop lagging!

Really though, I am still in awe of how well the servers have coped with so many nerds hammering them. The launch day of this lovely kmmo beta was better than some Blizzard games :v: And yes I know the order of magnitude less players but ToS was probably expecting at least 5 times fewer players than this.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Scoss posted:

Someone who understands the game's stats more than I, explain to me why this sword hits harder than this mace, even against enemies who aren't granting the 50% slash vulnerability. My character sheet shows me having a decidedly higher physical attack stat with the mace on, and obviously the weapon itself has a higher range, so what gives. The mace has a red gem in it but unless I'm completely misunderstanding it, that shouldn't matter.

There's no indicator for when you get -50% damage, only when you get +50%, and mobs that are strong against mace are much more common than monsters that are strong against sword. Very few monsters are neutral against both so it's hard to compare properly.

Also swords are awesome.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Game seems sweet. I am a fan of just shooting nerds with my arrows

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The game really scratches the RO itch. Combat feels really good despite the sometimes long cooldowns, once you get more abilities things flow more naturally. Highlander is baller as gently caress and clerics feel so anemic compared to them. Probably gonna try archer next.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

barbarian is just a better highlander and it is laugho

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That feel when your earthquake leaves a bunch of mobs your level at .5% hp.

Also I am liking the EYE SPIKE spell.

Also also, I think I figured out what the deal was with the damage numbers. Magic damage doesn't show up on the skill pane, but it does increase when you hit stuff. It seems like it might just straight up add your magic damage to skill damage. Anyone know if the enhance attributes apply to the magic damage bonus (from int/weapons)?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sacro posted:

Don't go c2 swordsman it blows. I ran into a c2 swordsman around level 30 that was begging for help to kill bosses so another goon and I obliged and I hope he feels real bad about his choice after seeing the magnificence of cartar stroke. Highlander 2 shots bosses with cartar stroke and peltasta looks good too. If you're level ~34 and the enemies suddenly jump to 42, you've missed a lot of quests. Which is understandable, because right after the mines the game stops marking npcs with quests on the map or in any other way and you need to talk to every npc you see to find quests. Hope you don't miss them among the throng of people standing around it waiting for the dialogue to stop lagging!

Really though, I am still in awe of how well the servers have coped with so many nerds hammering them. The launch day of this lovely kmmo beta was better than some Blizzard games :v: And yes I know the order of magnitude less players but ToS was probably expecting at least 5 times fewer players than this.

PSA. I am a highlander, can confirm

Cartar stroke is a gift from god

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
drat, this looked like something fairly interesting, but i just missed the betakey giveaways. guess i'll go back to Dragons Dogma Online then.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ranger is weird. Aiming high anchoring is weird, but it makes everything explode so Im ok with it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I am very excited about Thaumaturgy and the swoling thereof.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Did someone get my good friend drinkfist a key?

I want to see him install the game and bail on it after 10 levels yelling this game is poo poo over and over again in mumble.

All he wants is a chronomancer in a game somewhere something

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I built my dads computer with the intent that it would never play video games. One of those overclocking intel 2 cores that are very price efficient, a cheapo motherboard that wouldn't blow up, 4GB of ram and no gpu. So here I am at my dads place manning the shop because he got in an accident and is recovering. Download steam and install TOS. It actually plays pretty decently with the cpus built in gpu.

Was expecting to have to buy a new psu and use my old 760 on it but I dont think I'll have to for just simple grinding. Weird that the game has troubles having consistent frames on very high end systems but is a champ with poo poo computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

All he wants is a chronomancer in a game somewhere something
Don't tell him he'll have to make it to level 75 for that.

• Locked thread