Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

TraderStav posted:

First impressions of the 5x are very good. Feels great in the hand and the fingerprint is very nice even with Android wear. Nice to just set my finger naturally on it and have it wake.

Still working on one handed usage that doesn't involve a death grip. It was a stretch with my G but this is slightly bigger.

Mine arrives next week so will be testing then but have you read this review on Android Central at all?

http://www.androidcentral.com/review-lg-nexus-5x

What do you think about their complaints, do they match up with your experience?:

-HDR picture taking is slow ( up to 8 seconds to take the picture )
-audio quality is average ( speaker quality poo poo )
-display is "mediocre": ok indoors but really poo poo outside
-OK Google doesn't work in Doze mode ( only on the 5x - it's fine on the 6P )
-Double tap power to launch camera fails 15% of the time causing a display freak-out and 20 seconds before camera app launches
-Camera hangs when flipping through recently taken pictures ( only on the 5x - it's fine on the 6P )

Conclusion: 16GB 5x is useless, the 32GB is only $70 less than the 6P so you should just by the 6P instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

What's that feature called that spoofs a set time and a full charge at the top of the screen so that your screenshots are "clean" for use as media on a website/etc...? I'm pretty sure it's a Marshmallow-exclusive feature but I have no idea what term to Google for that won't turn up thousands of forum posts on "how to take a screenshot".
As mentioned it is called Demo Mode, and to get to it you need to enable System UI Tuner.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

TollTheHounds posted:

Mine arrives next week so will be testing then but have you read this review on Android Central at all?

What do you think about their complaints, do they match up with your experience?:

-Double tap power to launch camera fails 15% of the time causing a display freak-out and 20 seconds before camera app launches
-Camera hangs when flipping through recently taken pictures ( only on the 5x - it's fine on the 6P )
Conclusion: 16GB 5x is useless, the 32GB is only $70 less than the 6P so you should just by the 6P instead

I've not really had any of those issues. HDR photos are fast, only takes a couple seconds to process first time you flip to it in the camera app. Display amazing been great inside and out for me. Maybe a little over aggressively bright even in low light. I don't really listen to music on the speaker but it sounds fine to me for a phone speaker. Haven't tried OK Google from doze. Double tap for the camera works every time. As mentioned only hitching in camera app is first time viewing a HDR photo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TollTheHounds posted:

I've experienced none of these problems.

Though I've never used my phone speakers to listen to music because literally no phone is worthwhile for these purposes, except maybe if you listen exclusively to chiptunes.

Vvv too bad about the size :/

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 28, 2015

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
In a single days usage I've concluded the 6p is the best Nexus (or Android phone for that matter),/since the Nexus 5 or Nexus 1.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Desk Lamp posted:

I believe it's called "demo mode."

Tunga posted:

As mentioned it is called Demo Mode, and to get to it you need to enable System UI Tuner.
Great, thanks! I'm still on Lollipop but this'll definitely simplify things if/when my phone picks up M.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TollTheHounds posted:

Not enough runtime to comment but not my experience so far. Still loading apps...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Super Dude posted:

Just because you don't use the new features provided by lollipop doesn't mean they are useless. If nothing else, you gained security updates.

True, but I'd rather have a phone that can last all day. My turbo is at 10% and it's been unplugged 12 hours.
4h10m of screen time for best in class battery is just sad

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 28, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It is a bit of a coin toss on whether major Android upgrades are going to make your phone suck. I've had about 50/50 success on that...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Thermopyle posted:

It is a bit of a coin toss on whether major Android upgrades are going to make your phone suck. I've had about 50/50 success on that...

Over a long enough span, every phone sucks.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone have the black 5x and old 5 compare the plastic back? I'm specifically interested in if its the same soft touch plastic that is grippy. I have a white 5x and its really slippery.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Has anyone bought a usb-c to usb-c cable that they like? Does it matter if they are listed at USB 3.1 or 2.0?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone have the black 5x and old 5 compare the plastic back? I'm specifically interested in if its the same soft touch plastic that is grippy. I have a white 5x and its really slippery.

Not as grippy but not that slippery either.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Super Dude posted:

Has anyone bought a usb-c to usb-c cable that they like? Does it matter if they are listed at USB 3.1 or 2.0?

According to the early reviews the devices are only capable of USB 2.0 data transfer, so 2.0 should be sufficient. That being said, I don't think anyone has had USB-C devices or cables long enough to have developed an opinion on anything.

Hell, most people still haven't received their phones and they're already "I NEED A COMPATIBLE CAR CHARGER WHICH ONE WORKS BEST????!"

I spent a bit of time this afternoon going through my application permissions and turning stuff off. :feelsgood: Oh, you needed that for the one-time verification SMS. OFF. Contact list? OFF. GPS, gently caress you Yahoo Fantasy Sports, OFF.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FunOne posted:

According to the early reviews the devices are only capable of USB 2.0 data transfer, so 2.0 should be sufficient. That being said, I don't think anyone has had USB-C devices or cables long enough to have developed an opinion on anything.

Hell, most people still haven't received their phones and they're already "I NEED A COMPATIBLE CAR CHARGER WHICH ONE WORKS BEST????!"

I spent a bit of time this afternoon going through my application permissions and turning stuff off. :feelsgood: Oh, you needed that for the one-time verification SMS. OFF. Contact list? OFF. GPS, gently caress you Yahoo Fantasy Sports, OFF.

Do the 2.0 cables allow enough power through to use the fast charging? (I don't really know how cables and power work, so this might be a really dumb question).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
2 vs 3 only has to do with data transfer rates.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

True, but I'd rather have a phone that can last all day. My turbo is at 10% and it's been unplugged 12 hours.
4h10m of screen time for best in class battery is just sad

That seems wrong. Even my wife's S6E gets more than that and it only has 2600mAH.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I was routinely getting 10+ hours of screen on time on lte with my ascend mate 2 before it got flooded

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Only camera issue I have with my 5X is it takes maybe two seconds for the camera app to open and be ready for photos when I tap on the icon. Speakerwise, I haven't listened to any music but it's handled podcasts fairly decently with no major hiccups.

It's a fantastic phone, has legit all day battery life, and fits the hand really well.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Must Love Dogs posted:

Only camera issue I have with my 5X is it takes maybe two seconds for the camera app to open and be ready for photos when I tap on the icon.

You can double tap the power button instead, and you don't even need to unlock the phone.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I wish it wouldn't lock your phone when exiting the camera app if it was activated via double power tap though. Not a big deal, but I don't see why is necessary if the phone was already unlocked.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheBuilder posted:

In a single days usage I've concluded the 6p is the best Nexus (or Android phone for that matter),/since the Nexus 5 or Nexus 1.
More details? Mine shipped today.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Speakers sound slightly worse than the new G, but they all sound terrible so there's that

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cross posting this from the prepaid thread in hopes that a general Android solution is available:

I'm on cricket and just got the Nexus 5x. When I go to enable a tethering hotspot I get an error that I need to enable it with subscriber. I find this very odd being a phone that doesn't go through any carrier. None of my other Android phones have had this issue. 

Is there any way around this? Very important feature for me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Is there any way around this? Very important feature for me.
Do Cricket allow tethering? It's up to them to enable it, the phone just checks with the current network and does what it is told.

Otherwise I imagine you can work around this with root.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd try PdaNet+ before rooting.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

ilkhan posted:

More details? Mine shipped today.

I've owned every Nexus phone excluding the 4. The Nexus One and Nexus 5 both really set the standard for what Android phones should be at their times of release- they both have their shortcomings of course (no true multitouch on the Nexus One, small battery on the 5), but good screens, comfortable to hold, good build quality, and at the time, good updates to the Android platform. I can't really find anything wrong at all with the Nexus 6p other than the lack of wireless charging for those that are into that technology, and for myself, I need the quick charge of a physical connection more than the convenience of laying it on a pad. The camera is also outstanding, but again, my frame of reference is using only using Android phones since the HTC Magic

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

TheBuilder posted:

I've owned every Nexus phone excluding the 4. The Nexus One and Nexus 5 both really set the standard for what Android phones should be at their times of release- they both have their shortcomings of course (no true multitouch on the Nexus One, small battery on the 5), but good screens, comfortable to hold, good build quality, and at the time, good updates to the Android platform. I can't really find anything wrong at all with the Nexus 6p other than the lack of wireless charging for those that are into that technology, and for myself, I need the quick charge of a physical connection more than the convenience of laying it on a pad. The camera is also outstanding, but again, my frame of reference is using only using Android phones since the HTC Magic
Mine shows up tomorrow and I have pretty much the same reference, so "cool".
And yes, RIP qi. Maybe the V2 will support fast wireless charging since samsung just started showing off the tech for it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FractionMan posted:

I just picked up my 6P. I'm surprised how well it actually fits into my admittedly small hands.

Same. And it fits in my jean pocket just fine!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If you're a monster that puts screen protector on your phone, intelliarmor has a BOGO free deal for the 6p tempered glass screen protector
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3q3ull/for_those_of_you_who_are_concerned_with_the/

quote:

Add 2 to your cart, then use promo code intelli6P and the cost of one will be subtracted from the total.

Edit: you can use the promo code to get any 2nd HD screen protector for free, not just a 6P.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I loved Qi on my N5.

The fingerprint reader on the 5X is so fast and accurate that it might be a fair trade. Not to mention I was somewhat recently forced into encrypted email/PIN lock, so the fingerprint reader saves me significant time every time I unlock.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nocal posted:

I loved Qi on my N5.

The fingerprint reader on the 5X is so fast and accurate that it might be a fair trade. Not to mention I was somewhat recently forced into encrypted email/PIN lock, so the fingerprint reader saves me significant time every time I unlock.

Yeah, I'm really impressed, I hardly ever see the lock screen, when I pick it up, it's perfectly positioned for my finger and no button to press. It's really well thought out. It's even better than the iPhone one since you have to actually push that first to get the screen to wake.

I just occassionally try to auth against the camera, but not that I'm used to it, it hardly happens.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

WhyteRyce posted:

If you're a monster that puts screen protector on your phone, intelliarmor has a BOGO free deal for the 6p tempered glass screen protector
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3q3ull/for_those_of_you_who_are_concerned_with_the/

Do glass protectors like this get in the way of cases? I've ordered the microfiber case from Google and since that code applies to any protector I was going to order a 6P for myself and a Nexus 5 one for my wife, but if it interferes with cases I won't waste my money.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nocal posted:

I loved Qi on my N5.

Speaking of which. What was the go-to for exchange server sandboxing? Touchdown? I thought there was something better now.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

WhyteRyce posted:

Thanks, snagged 2.

I like sites that don't make you register or fill in all the payment info and just let you use things like Amazon payments.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

How good are these? Especially the oleophobic coating.

Actually has them for $9.95 with prime. I dont need 2, and free 2-day is betterer. ETA 11/4. I'll save the $3 and only get 1, but worth it.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 28, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Over a long enough span, every phone sucks.

Well yeah, but I'm talking about an update taking a device from being not-sucky to being sucky. That has more to do with OEM's succumbing to pressure for updates while at the same time investing the smallest amount of resources possible into developing the update.

In the past two years I've had both a Nexus 7 and a Moto X go from just fine to unusable due solely to OS updates.

So, like, I want updates, and I think manufacturers should be doing them, but the incentives aren't there for them to do a good job on older devices.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Tunga posted:

Do Cricket allow tethering? It's up to them to enable it, the phone just checks with the current network and does what it is told.

Otherwise I imagine you can work around this with root.

Cricket charges for tethering on certain phones. Bring your own android phones are not included in that, but I've never had problems enabling it on my N5 (although I haven't tried in a while.)

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of which. What was the go-to for exchange server sandboxing? Touchdown? I thought there was something better now.

I haven't used it, but IIRC it was Nine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nocal posted:

I haven't used it, but IIRC it was Nine.

I've used Nine for a while and it's fantastic.