Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pierson posted:

I'm not a big Assassins Creed player so I'll admit it's entirely possible. My point was more that some gamers will treat everything as a massive grandiose issue like they're arguing civil rights before the supreme court.
Well yeah because it's twitter and gaming forums. Regardless they were exceptionally lovely business practices, and in general are the type of things that reactionary gamers will try to justify to defend their favorite game series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
While we're discussing videogames where you roleplay Stalin, obligatory link to Stalin's Dilemma.

divabot posted:

the first time it happened to me, it wasn’t even the scariest

i had woken up, naked, in the woods, surrounded by Burzum CDs and beer posters featuring women in dirndls with the slogan FEMINISM = WHITE GENOCIDE sharpied on them. my whole body ached; i felt like i had been stretching my right arm for the whole night

as the day passed, and I shared the confusion of the town, things slowly started coming together. the rabbi was busy scrubbing the wall clean of some sort of hands-rubbing shylock cartoon. the woman across the street had received a letter beginning: Dear Hypergamous Slut,. A large billboard had been covered by a painting of what looked like a sad frog in a hitler outfit. all my avatars on social media had been replaced michelangelo’s David.

[/quote]

I swear to god I found this thread because I was trying to track down the copypasta from the end there and not because I was googling myself.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Admittedly I don't really know many non-Rand libertarians and all the Rand ones just try to get around the gay question with non-solutions like "Well what if we just make all marriage illegal :smug:"

Ron Paul is a non-Randian* libertarian. He's a Christian Reconstructionist, aka a libertarian who wants to devolve big government into smaller Christian theocratic states. (As opposed to Dominionism, which calls for big government to absorb all into a singular Christian theocratic nation.)

American libertarianism has five main flavors of stupid. These aren't mutually exclusive, and people will often mix them together, but they hail from different traditions and the hardcore versions of each are recognizably distinct.

Ayn Rand Libertarians. "The parasites are holding me back from true greatness!" If someone has actually read Atlas Shrugged and calls it their favorite book, they're an Ayn Rand libertarian. If someone thinks charity in general (not just government welfare) encourages dependence, then they're drawing from this branch of thought.

Christian Libertarians. "Jesus loves capitalism and big government is anti-Christian." This is the most popular form of libertarianism in America. It was originally the product of wealthy capitalists during the Great Depression, who, in a bid to get Americans to willingly embrace another Gilded Age, promoted entrepreneurialism and individualism as inherently Christian values. Most rank-and-file small-government conservatives are actually this—they may profess to love Ayn Rand, but they probably haven't read her books and they're unaware of her contemptuous antitheism. This branch has the largest overlap with unrepentant bigotry—the modern white Evangelical movement got its start defending a very particular kind of property (slaves), and that legacy continues today.

Glibertarians (aka South Park libertarians). "I like weed, guns, a misleading statistics from the Cato Institute." They like the sound of libertarianism, but don't think too hard about it. Glibertarians mostly live comfortable lives, and fantasize about an even more comfortable life where they never have to pay taxes or deal with regulations they find inconvenient.

Professional Bullshitters. "I will say anything if you write me a big enough check." These are the bullshitters who provide cover for other sects of libertarianism. If someone works at a think tank, they're one of these. This branch is a factory for misleading statistics and red herrings like "Eighty-eight percent of Fortune 500 companies already voluntarily prohibit sexual orientation discrimination! Bigotry isn't a problem, because the free market has/will overcome it!" While Christian libertarians insist bigotry and exploitation are their God-given right, professional bullshitters are the ones insisting that the free market punishes bigotry and that people want to be exploited.

Noble Grifters. "Grifters gotta grift." These people are libertarians as a matter of convenience. They're part of an obviously immoral industry, but want you to know that they're merely responding to the market's demand and providing an extremely valuable service to the community, so how dare you punish their success with regulations. Why, they're practically saints! This branch includes CEOs defending blatantly evil grift.

There are other, smaller branches (like urbanist libertarians, whom are one of the few kinds of libertarian I find vaguely tolerable), but they're uncommon and have no meaningful influence over the discourse.

*No, he did not name his son for Ayn Rand. Rand Paul's name is actually short for "Randall".

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Oct 27, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought he was named for the krugerrand.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

Hasn't a secondary point of every assassin's creed game been to place people into the moral ambiguity of the era, and actually show just a little real history?

the first four, up through revelations, were pretty solidly "assassins are the underground freedom fighters stopping the evil hitler stalin templars from world dominatino" without much ambiguity

AssCreed 3's whole Thing was "there are no good guys or bad guys, there's just people doing what they think is right, and it turns out they're all a pack of assholes, every single one of them" and that's carried forward to the point where Rogue has you playing as an assassin who defects to join the templars, and the templars you meet are fairly reasonable dudes, not mustache twirling villains, and the assassins are kind of assholes. 3 did it the most though, and it was great because ti got to play off hero-worship of the founding fathers to do it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Literally The Worst posted:

the first four, up through revelations, were pretty solidly "assassins are the underground freedom fighters stopping the evil hitler stalin templars from world dominatino" without much ambiguity

AssCreed 3's whole Thing was "there are no good guys or bad guys, there's just people doing what they think is right, and it turns out they're all a pack of assholes, every single one of them" and that's carried forward to the point where Rogue has you playing as an assassin who defects to join the templars, and the templars you meet are fairly reasonable dudes, not mustache twirling villains, and the assassins are kind of assholes. 3 did it the most though, and it was great because ti got to play off hero-worship of the founding fathers to do it.

Right, sure, there were bad guys and they were the perfect conspirators plotting humanity's downfall, but that's not what I meant.

But I meant in the context of history, they'd drop you in the crusades with people giving context and color to how no side was innocent and no side was entirely justified. And your own assassin organization in 1 was straight up a cult.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

Right, sure, there were bad guys and they were the perfect conspirators plotting humanity's downfall, but that's not what I meant.

But I meant in the context of history, they'd drop you in the crusades with people giving context and color to how no side was innocent and no side was entirely justified. And your own assassin organization in 1 was straight up a cult.

no, the first few games are pretty black and white all the way around. you don't really get into ambiguity until 3 (which i'm replaying right now)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
the whole point of rear end creed was golden apples and aliens, when did people start trying to take it serious again :laugh:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People complaining about it are bringing politics into games, which, as we all know from the righteous takedowns of the feminist shrew Anita Sarkeesian by the heroes of Gamergate, is always bad. Therefore, the #BoycottAssassinsCreed movement is aGG.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

the whole point of rear end creed was golden apples and aliens, when did people start trying to take it serious again :laugh:

i think its pretty cool and rad that they're going for something a little harder than just playing bash the fash with knives

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

Ron Paul is a non-Randian* libertarian. He's a Christian Reconstructionist, aka a libertarian who wants to devolve big government into smaller Christian theocratic states. (As opposed to Dominionism, which calls for big government to absorb all into a singular Christian theocratic nation.)

American libertarianism has five main flavors of stupid. These aren't mutually exclusive, and people will often mix them together, but they hail from different traditions and the hardcore versions of each are recognizably distinct.

Ayn Rand Libertarians. "The parasites are holding me back from true greatness!" If someone has actually read Atlas Shrugged and calls it their favorite book, they're an Ayn Rand libertarian. If someone thinks charity in general (not just government welfare) encourages dependence, then they're drawing from this branch of thought.

Christian Libertarians. "Jesus loves capitalism and big government is anti-Christian." This is the most popular form of libertarianism in America. It was originally the product of wealthy capitalists during the Great Depression, who, in a bid to get Americans to willingly embrace another Gilded Age, promoted entrepreneurialism and individualism as inherently Christian values. Most rank-and-file small-government conservatives are actually this—they may profess to love Ayn Rand, but they probably haven't read her books and they're unaware of her contemptuous antitheism. This branch has the largest overlap with unrepentant bigotry—the modern white Evangelical movement got its start defending a very particular kind of property (slaves), and that legacy continues today.

Glibertarians (aka South Park libertarians). "I like weed, guns, a misleading statistics from the Cato Institute." They like the sound of libertarianism, but don't think too hard about it. Glibertarians mostly live comfortable lives, and fantasize about an even more comfortable life where they never have to pay taxes or deal with regulations they find inconvenient.

Professional Bullshitters. "I will say anything if you write me a big enough check." These are the bullshitters who provide cover for other sects of libertarianism. If someone works at a think tank, they're one of these. This branch is a factory for misleading statistics and red herrings like "Eighty-eight percent of Fortune 500 companies already voluntarily prohibit sexual orientation discrimination! Bigotry isn't a problem, because the free market has/will overcome it!" While Christian libertarians insist bigotry and exploitation are their God-given right, professional bullshitters are the ones insisting that the free market punishes bigotry and that people want to be exploited.

Noble Grifters. "Grifters gotta grift." These people are libertarians as a matter of convenience. They're part of an obviously immoral industry, but want you to know that they're merely responding to the market's demand and providing an extremely valuable service to the community, so how dare you punish their success with regulations. Why, they're practically saints! This branch includes CEOs defending blatantly evil grift.

There are other, smaller branches (like urbanist libertarians, whom are one of the few kinds of libertarian I find vaguely tolerable), but they're uncommon and have no meaningful influence over the discourse.

*No, he did not name his son for Ayn Rand. Rand Paul's name is actually short for "Randall".

Thanks for the effort post, that article about the modern idea of a christian nation being a product of 30's capitalists was very interesting :shobon:

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Oct 28, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

no, the first few games are pretty black and white all the way around. you don't really get into ambiguity until 3 (which i'm replaying right now)

Ehhhh if you do the "the truth" stuff in AC2 it does stuff like saying that Stalin was one of the Assassins, and I think JFK as a Templar. The series, I think, has always kind of been aware that the "assassins are good guys who want freedom" thing is obviously bullshit.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hello i wish to report a complaint i am playing your murder simulator and it is not ethical
yes i know i did not have to buy a murder simulator if i didn't want to see such content that is not what i am compl
no i am okay with it being a murder simulator i am talking about the obvious ethical
no that
no
you see it has karl mar
no
actually it is about ethi
oh gently caress you

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
COMMUNISM DOESN'T WORK as opposed to feudalism which is still alive and well, having weathered all attacks on it without fail.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArchangeI posted:

COMMUNISM DOESN'T WORK as opposed to feudalism which is still alive and well, having weathered all attacks on it without fail.
According to Moldbug, America is communist. Obviously, America is the richest nation in the world. Thus, according to Moldbug, Communism works.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Ehhhh if you do the "the truth" stuff in AC2 it does stuff like saying that Stalin was one of the Assassins, and I think JFK as a Templar. The series, I think, has always kind of been aware that the "assassins are good guys who want freedom" thing is obviously bullshit.

Revelations also leaned pretty heavily on "The assassins aren't really good people. They're just the weaker of the two factions vying for control." in the Desmond bits, but I don't really blame anyone for not sitting through those.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

i think 3 is the best one about it, becaue connor legitimately is that guy. he's an idealist, and the entire game is about his ideals butting up against reality and him becoming more and more jaded, whether its realizing that the colonists are fighting a war to be free of the king, while still owning slaves, or that the revenge he dreamed of is just an empty hollow victory, without glory or meaning, and that yeah his dad's a templar but his dad's actually a pretty okay guy, even if he did bang and run

black flag went the opposite way, with edward thinking everyone was an rear end in a top hat from the jump and just wanting to be left alone to build up his pirate paradise (which is basically the homestead from 3, but bigger) and slowly coming around to the assassins' side if only because they were the lesser of two evils

djw175 posted:

Revelations also leaned pretty heavily on "The assassins aren't really good people. They're just the weaker of the two factions vying for control." in the Desmond bits, but I don't really blame anyone for not sitting through those.

was this in those stupid platform bits or in the bits where you talk to the last subject's memories, because those platforming bits were so bad i couldn't even finish them and i generally had no problem sitting through desmond poo poo

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

i think 3 is the best one about it, becaue connor legitimately is that guy. he's an idealist, and the entire game is about his ideals butting up against reality and him becoming more and more jaded, whether its realizing that the colonists are fighting a war to be free of the king, while still owning slaves, or that the revenge he dreamed of is just an empty hollow victory, without glory or meaning, and that yeah his dad's a templar but his dad's actually a pretty okay guy, even if he did bang and run

black flag went the opposite way, with edward thinking everyone was an rear end in a top hat from the jump and just wanting to be left alone to build up his pirate paradise (which is basically the homestead from 3, but bigger) and slowly coming around to the assassins' side if only because they were the lesser of two evils

was this in those stupid platform bits or in the bits where you talk to the last subject's memories, because those platforming bits were so bad i couldn't even finish them and i generally had no problem sitting through desmond poo poo

Platforming bits. And I don't blame you in the least.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

djw175 posted:

Platforming bits.

well there you loving go that's the worst thing the series has ever done

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

Well feudalism seems to have a knack for worming its way back into post-feudal societies over and over, like a chronic disease that keeps relapsing.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Well feudalism seems to have a knack for worming its way back into post-feudal societies over and over, like a chronic disease that keeps relapsing.

Unless there is a warrior caste that is rewarded with land and subjects over which to rule and who define the political landscape via their interpersonal relationships it's not proper feudalism.

I have yet to see a post-feudal society reversing back to it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

Unless there is a warrior caste that is rewarded with land and subjects over which to rule and who define the political landscape via their interpersonal relationships it's not proper feudalism.

I have yet to see a post-feudal society reversing back to it.

Neo-Feudalism is basically classical Feudalism except the Warriors and Merchants switch places. hth

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

coyo7e posted:

I thought the whole point of Assassin's Creed at this stage was "historical fiction Grand Theft Auto?"

Disclaimer: I've never played Assassin's Creed

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Neo-Feudalism is basically classical Feudalism except the Warriors and Merchants switch places. hth

But that takes all the fun out of it :confused:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the idea is that Lord Humungus will be a fair trade actor and will be easily controlled by the immense power and influence of wealth, which he and his gayboy berserkers will always and fully respect, because to do otherwise would be folly. Folly!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People complaining about it are bringing politics into games, which, as we all know from the righteous takedowns of the feminist shrew Anita Sarkeesian by the heroes of Gamergate, is always bad. Therefore, the #BoycottAssassinsCreed movement is aGG.

both the left and right wing of the Great Nerd Political Slapfight seem horrified that politics of all things could creep into something as innocent as their precious nerd hobbies. the joke's on them though, because everything is political and always has been. welcome to hell

people do this in actual politics too though. the word 'ideologue' was literally coined by napoleon to paint his leftist political rivals as being closed-minded fanatics, unlike he himself, the calm, rational, clear-sighted leader. it's worked for 200 years, no reason for the GG people not to use it

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Oct 28, 2015

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Nessus posted:

I think the idea is that Lord Humungus will be a fair trade actor and will be easily controlled by the immense power and influence of wealth, which he and his gayboy berserkers will always and fully respect, because to do otherwise would be folly. Folly!

Vote with your wallet by choosing which roving gang of armed men you give it to.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

one of the most influential currents in the development of liberalism as an ideology was the feudal nobility insisting on their political rights in opposition to a centralizing absolute monarchy (Marx was wrong, kiddos), so it makes sense that libertarians want to go back to feudalism

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Oct 28, 2015

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

both the left and right wing of the Great Nerd Political Slapfight seem horrified that politics of all things could creep into something as innocent as their precious nerd hobbies. the joke's on them though, because everything is political and always has been. welcome to hell

I don't really see that, not when one side bases half of their slurs and insults on the other side's supposed political activism.

Also, GG has chosen as their pretend fantasy mascot "a girl that agrees with GG", like how the label on a can of tuna has a cartoon tuna fish who's smiling and waving at you and carrying a fishing rod. It is not about politics for some people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Syd Midnight posted:

Also, GG has chosen as their pretend fantasy mascot "a girl that agrees with GG", like how the label on a can of tuna has a cartoon tuna fish who's smiling and waving at you and carrying a fishing rod. It is not about politics for some people.

Also the fish is meme color-coded to mean anal rape.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

But that takes all the fun out of it :confused:

Now that Capital is elevated to Godhood, you'll get as much fun raping and pillaging on behalf of our new lords & masters, as you would have serving a divinely ordained sovereign.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Also the fish is meme color-coded to mean anal rape.

what

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/daily-dose-piccolo-dick :nws:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

The Vosgian Beast posted:

"However else it is possible to divide Western thinking, one fissure can be teased-open separating the theo-humanists—croaking together in the cramped and malodorous pond of Anthropos—from the wild beasts of the impersonal. The former are characterized by their moral fervour, parochialism, earnestness, phenomenological disposition, and Aborting the human race sympathy for folk superstition, the latter by their fatalism, atheism, strangely reptilian exuberance, and extreme sensitivity for what is icy, savage, and alien to mankind." - Nick Land

Admittedly before his explicit turn to fascism, but he hasn't changed as much as some people might like.

Strangely enough, I saw at least one similar Nick Land quote in this classic thinkpiece on vaporwave, attached to a playlist that's great for sleeping to: http://www.dummymag.com/features/adam-harper-vaporwave

It would be hilarious if all his Nrx stuff is forgotten and what remains is an influence on gentle music beloved by Tumblr and Weird Facebook.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Silver2195 posted:

Most of it. The rest is right-wing people being mad about Assassin's Creed for even less sensible reasons.

I'm surprised they weren't pissed off at the first game, where you played a Muslim Assasin killing Christians in the Crusades.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Oligopsony posted:

I swear to god I found this thread because I was trying to track down the copypasta from the end there and not because I was googling myself.

All the trads will want your head for insulting their aesthetic like this.

Makes we wonder what these "traditionalists" look like IRL.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Count Chocula posted:

I'm surprised they weren't pissed off at the first game, where you played a Muslim Assasin killing Christians in the Crusades.

There are no Christian characters on the AC series. They're all Illuminati members pretending to be Christians. The same goes for Muslim characters. The dialogue of AC1 never mentions words like "Christian", "Christ", "Islam", or "Muslim". Subsequent games are just as ridiculous. AC2 does it's best to remove any potential anti-clerical message from trying to kill the Pope. I've only played the first three games, but as a whole the series avoids any social commentary that might touch real-world issues. So any social commentary, really.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Oct 28, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There are no Christian characters on the AC series. They're all Illuminati members pretending to be Christians. The same goes for Muslim characters. The dialogue of AC1 never mentions words like "Christian", "Christ", "Islam", or "Muslim". Subsequent games are just as ridiculous. AC2 does it's best to remove any potential anti-clerical message from trying to kill the Pope. I've only played the first three games, but as a whole the series avoids any social commentary that might touch real-world issues. So any social commentary, really.
That is in itself social commentary.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I have to admit that the Illuminati plot is a brilliant way of avoiding controversial/ideological content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The central concept of Assassin's Creed, if you really want to get into it, is that all ideologies are secretly bullshit used by people in power to justify their power. Like, from their very inception, every single one of them. Which, really, is a Glibertarian take on history. It started out as outright Marxist, in the true sense of the word, when it was about the Assassins fighting for freedom from Templar world-domination; but eventually they decided that actually having good guys and bad guys was too political, so you get the Glibertarian ultra-cynicism of the latter games. It's the kind of bullshit moral equivocation that only the truly privileged can write. See also: Bioshock Infinite.