Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

gromdul posted:

I just bought the 500 gem soul armor, too. Welp...

same :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

So I started playing this game last week, and it seems like most of the advice in the OP is aimed at someone who already has every card in the game at max level. I can't win at PvP and I haven't even figured out how to unlock the arena yet - and again, it seems pointless if my opponents are going to have every relevant card at level 15. Is there anything I can do right now except grind PvE and wait for my guild to feed me stuff?

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
invite please. KATYKAT

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Unlock the arena by doing quests in the first area (broken spire).

It costs 1000g, but your troops don't matter because you draft 3 level 10s.

You can keep skipping in pvp until you find someone close to your level, but if gold is tight then save it for the arena.

You can get some quality troops by completing all the quests in a kingdom.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wolfsbane posted:

So I started playing this game last week, and it seems like most of the advice in the OP is aimed at someone who already has every card in the game at max level. I can't win at PvP and I haven't even figured out how to unlock the arena yet - and again, it seems pointless if my opponents are going to have every relevant card at level 15. Is there anything I can do right now except grind PvE and wait for my guild to feed me stuff?

I'm pretty sure you unlock arena by just beating the first kingdom, which is really what you should be doing right away anyway.

I joined pretty late and it seemed like most of the PVP teams were at least beatable. That was a couple of months ago though so it could be different now. Don't be afraid to use the "find another opponent" button. It might as well be free it costs so little and it makes a huge difference to fight someone on your level early on.

I may have had an easier time starting because I got the discount starter pack and pulled some okayish units.

If you aren't already, you'll probably want to join a goon guild rather than just some pubbie one since they seem to actually complete tasks at a decent rate.

Drumstick posted:

invite please. KATYKAT

Sent you an invite.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So make sure to do every quest for the kingdoms I have unlocked now. And I guess level up as many guys to 15 as possible pre-patch.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Wolfsbane posted:

Finish all Broken Spire quests to unlock the Arena, finish all Zhul'Kari quests to unlock Treasure Hunt to use maps. You can still beat people if their cards are maxed out and you're still at something like 8-10 for your own ones; just try to find combinations that work for you, or just have every color covered if you really don't know what to put together.

PvE will also get you some decent cards, and you get Luther from Broken Spire/unlocking Arena anyway and he's pretty decent; I still use him.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Finish all Broken Spire quests to unlock the Arena, finish all Zhul'Kari quests to unlock Treasure Hunt to use maps. You can still beat people if their cards are maxed out and you're still at something like 8-10 for your own ones; just try to find combinations that work for you, or just have every color covered if you really don't know what to put together.

PvE will also get you some decent cards, and you get Luther from Broken Spire/unlocking Arena anyway and he's pretty decent; I still use him.

I thought you just had to unlock Zhul'Kari for Treasure Hunt. Im not sure because I finished the quests first for that epic(forgot her name).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I thought you just had to unlock Zhul'Kari for Treasure Hunt. Im not sure because I finished the quests first for that epic(forgot her name).

This is correct.

-----

I'm not booting members out of Gem Blossums yet because I'm assuming the other goon guild still has room. When that ceases to be the case let me know and I'll kick some people out.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I guess I'll give up on arena then, because I can't even imagine a team that could beat that loving dragon. I've finished some of the other kingdoms, but that one seems stupidly difficult.

Skipping opponents to find someone at my level doesn't help because even people 5 levels below me seem to have their creatures at max level, while most of mine are level 8 at most. There's not much I can do against skills that one shot anything on my team.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Wolfsbane posted:

I guess I'll give up on arena then, because I can't even imagine a team that could beat that loving dragon. I've finished some of the other kingdoms, but that one seems stupidly difficult.

Skipping opponents to find someone at my level doesn't help because even people 5 levels below me seem to have their creatures at max level, while most of mine are level 8 at most. There's not much I can do against skills that one shot anything on my team.

Play a different area and level your guys, try a different team, try aggressively depriving the opponent of the color they need, try using people that can target the dragon specifically, use a card that can eat skulls, etc etc etc.

~it gets better~
make sure you join a goon guild for keys

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, I should probably try some more teams. I've been using Valkyrie\Treant\Herdmaster\Alchemist and it works fairly well, but there's no real way to do damage outside of powering up the treant and waiting for the Valkyrie to die. I have Satyr and he seems OK, but the damage is really low.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I advise switching a direct damage dealer onto that team, like a Banshee instead of the Herdmaster. Being able to target a creature other than the first is useful, to say the least. Heck, place a Goblin ahead of that Treant. The Goblin is incredibly useful for starting players because it fills up so quickly and you get another turn after using the ability.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Sadly I don't have a banshee yet. On the bright side, I managed to win with the broken combo of storm giant + absurd amounts of luck.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I killed the first boss because when it was ready to cast its spell, I entangled it. :boom:

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Yeah, I should probably try some more teams. I've been using Valkyrie\Treant\Herdmaster\Alchemist and it works fairly well, but there's no real way to do damage outside of powering up the treant and waiting for the Valkyrie to die. I have Satyr and he seems OK, but the damage is really low.

Move the Treant to the first slot. Its ability gives it armor to keep it alive. Alchemist powers Valk, so it should be above Valk as well. I would go Treant/Alchemist/Valkyrie/Herdmaster (And when you get Banshee go Treant/Alchemist/Banshee/Valkyrie).

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Jibo, I've promoted you to guild master of the Gem Boiz. I've been to busy to do the job well, and you've been doing a great job with the merger. I'll still play the game, I'm just not going to be as active as I once was.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

This is going to be irrelevant after the patch, but I thought I'd share.

I got bored with the Arena a while back and started doing Challenges and only have a few let to finish. Yes I am probably insane for doing all these, but it is seems like the fastest way to purely gain Kingdom levels.

With double souls armor and the standard Valkyrie farming team, you should somwhere around 3100 souls for a full set of challenges. That would be two kingdom levels for 35 mostly easy if tedious fights. Plus you should get at least a few treasure maps, but those are of varying utility depending on how far along you are in the game and how much time you have to play.

An arena run with Celestial armor nets you roughly 900 souls assuming you get nothing new from the iron keys. To get enough souls to level up two troops you would have to do 7 full arena runs which is at 56 fights if you don't lose any matches.

You get more gold from the Arena, but if you want to hoard gold you should probably just be doing invasions.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Ok, so whats the main effect of the patch? I'm asking as someone that just dropped 500 gems on some sweet armor, and is sitting on 3k souls. I dump all my gold into the guild (Gem Boiz 4 lyfe yo).

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Read the links?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

http://gemsofwar.com/patch-1-0-7-preview-part-1/
http://gemsofwar.com/patch-1-0-7-preview-part-2/

They are completely revamping big swaths of the game. Mana bonuses tied to banners. New troop management and card view. Lots of stuff.

Specific to this conversation, Kingdom levels based on troops/quests/challenges are going away. Instead you just pay gold to level up Kingdoms. The levels you get before the patch will carry over, so it is a good idea to finish off anything you are close to completing.

This makes souls much less important in the near term, but they hinted that the future "Collections" feature will make them important again.

I think its a good change overall, because it sucks to have your home Kingdom held back by RNG drops. It will hurt guild tasks though. I'm curious to see what ludicrous amount of gold it will take to max out a Kingdom.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Wolfsbane posted:

Keep at it, access to the arena is a good way to boost your soul income, with fights that are in theory pretty well balanced.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Arena is the best return on time and gold investment for new players. Follow the tier guide in the 2nd post to easily win 8 games for full rewards. It has everything you need starting out: gold, keys for more troops, and souls to level up troops.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

grrarg posted:

Arena is the best return on time and gold investment for new players. Follow the tier guide in the 2nd post to easily win 8 games for full rewards. It has everything you need starting out: gold, keys for more troops, and souls to level up troops.

I think the problem is they don't have it unlocked because of the dragon at the end of that quest. I don't remember which one it is, but I do remember it being a bastard of a fight, especially when you're just starting out.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah that first Sheggra fight at the end of the Broken Spire quest chain is tough. If you can't beat it, just do some other stuff and try and get your best team leveled up. Make sure you have some direct damage dealers that can focus down Sheggra, deny the cpu red/brown, and hope for some luck.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I beat the dragon without playing any other kingdoms. You just have to believe in yourself :kamina:

Also abuse goblin because that unit is one of the best in the game.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Looks like the patch just dropped.

Edit: Yep, but servers are down at the moment.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 29, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Stuck in an endless loop: the game tells me I need to update and forces me to the App Store, but the App Store doesn't show an update and tells me to launch the game.

Anyone with different experiences?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Steam version is working. Their forum said something about Apple taking longer than usual to flip the switch on the update.

Also, R.I.P. guild tasks if people did not have a maxed out kingdom before the patch. It's a shame since I still need about 90 gems for the 500 armor.

Kingdom level upgrade costs:
1: 500 g
2: 1k g
3: 2k g
4: 4k g
5: 8k g
6: ?
7: ?
8: 30k g
9: 40k g

grrarg fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 29, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
LOL took the highest difficulty for a spin. A Skeleton has 18 attack and over 30 armor.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Grundulum posted:

Stuck in an endless loop: the game tells me I need to update and forces me to the App Store, but the App Store doesn't show an update and tells me to launch the game.

Anyone with different experiences?

I'm not in a position to check at the moment but I've seen other games do this for their pre-update maintenance. Hopefully we'll get some word how long things will be down.

Also :lol: at the price of kingdom upgrades. I'm glad I maxed Zaejin before this.

gromdul posted:

LOL took the highest difficulty for a spin. A Skeleton has 18 attack and over 30 armor.

That is the dumbest thing.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

gromdul posted:

Tried an invasion on Warlord IV for +200% monster stats. Shegra's armor and health added up to almost 80 with enough attack to 2-shot any level 15 legendary.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So the highest difficulty is just "Hope you can last 100 turns without your enemy getting a free skull drop at some point".

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Yeah the rewards don't seem worth the extra time a battle takes.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I set it to hard because any added enemy stats isn't worth the payoff.

Also if you tried to log in during maintenance it might have screwed up your Kingdom levels. All my kingdoms that had the challenges completed came up one point lower than they should be. Submit a support ticket if this happened to you.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jibo posted:

So the highest difficulty is just "Hope you can last 100 turns without your enemy getting a free skull drop at some point".

Might be worth it on some of the lower-difficulty challenges at this point, when the enemies are still level 3, 6 or 9.

Of course, now that challenges don't contribute to kingdom level there's no reason to do them.

Edit: all of my kingdoms were at level 1 or higher when the patch hit. I am seeing costs of 500 gold to upgrade to level 2. What is the price to go from nothing to 1, then?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 29, 2015

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Kingdom level 6 to level 7 is 15,000 gold. Kinda regretting getting the 500 gem soul armor instead of gold armor.

Also threw together a quick army to show some of the bonuses. Every card has a monster type now, and there's bonuses for having 3 or 4 of the same type. Also bonuses for having 2 or more from the same kingdom, and having all 4 using the same color mana.

Not shown is 25 brown magic mastery for having 4 brown troops.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So it looks like they got rid of the mana bonus from kingdoms in favor of mastery bonuses. That's a pretty big nerf.

Also completing a challenge kicks you all the way back to the map now for some dumb reason.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

They moved the mana bonus from the kingdom to the banner so it is not a nerf, except maybe in arena. I'm not sure if you can change the banner for arena because the game was locking up for me when I tried to change the hero weapon after picking an arena team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Did they increase the gravity? Playing a map after the update and everything is so fast now