Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are ads that target 10-14 year olds. Like toys, comics, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Not to mention they do have the money for stuff, through their parents.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Should have been a brown eye :colbert:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Choco1980 posted:

I don't hate-hate the man (though I think he's unfunny) he's just the current fad that the kids like that adults don't get at all, and he's already well past the peak of his fad popularity. What makes me crazy about him is that he's the prime example for how advertisers STILL don't understand how the internet works. 100% of his sweet youtube cash comes from getting paid for every time an ad shows during his videos, right? Well something like 99.99% of his regular audience is 10-14 year olds who will never have either the money nor the desire to spend it that these advertisers are there for. You will never, ever be able to convince me this method is actually profitable for the advertisers, and he and his ilk are laughing all the way to the bank.

Getting a brand name in front of people early in their life, before they've formed spending habits, is an investment in future brand loyalty. That's why Visa and their ilk sponsor "financial education" courses at high schools for kids who are year away from qualifying for credit. Ads aren't about getting you to go buy something the instant you step away from the screen. It's about making you have happy feelings about a certain brand for your whole life.

This is the GIS result for "funny picture":

:suicide:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2 pieces of straight racism and 1 piece of borderline racism repurposed from a 13 year-old Chapelle's Show. We're technically making progress. :golfclap:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Kenning posted:

Getting a brand name in front of people early in their life, before they've formed spending habits, is an investment in future brand loyalty. That's why Visa and their ilk sponsor "financial education" courses at high schools for kids who are year away from qualifying for credit. Ads aren't about getting you to go buy something the instant you step away from the screen. It's about making you have happy feelings about a certain brand for your whole life.

Yeah, and the meme thread is "that way"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Choco1980 posted:

I don't hate-hate the man (though I think he's unfunny) he's just the current fad that the kids like that adults don't get at all, and he's already well past the peak of his fad popularity. What makes me crazy about him is that he's the prime example for how advertisers STILL don't understand how the internet works. 100% of his sweet youtube cash comes from getting paid for every time an ad shows during his videos, right? Well something like 99.99% of his regular audience is 10-14 year olds who will never have either the money nor the desire to spend it that these advertisers are there for. You will never, ever be able to convince me this method is actually profitable for the advertisers, and he and his ilk are laughing all the way to the bank.
Every time anything regarding advertising comes up, I am shocked by how little goons understand how it works. You absolutely want to target that market. They are the drivers of pop culture. They're still making Transformers movies today based on commercials we saw when we were that age.

Edit- Don't mean for this to derail in marketing chat. So before we get a "why does McDonalds need to advertise?" or "advertising doesn't work on me," here's a picture:

Professor Wayne has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Oct 28, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Choco1980 posted:

Kids are the absolute best audience to market to, since they will pester their parents endlessly to buy the thing. One well placed commercial that a kid sees means their parents suffer infinite commercial for that product til they give in and buy it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kenning posted:

...why is the search string 'funny credit card'?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That was the last search. That one wasn't even sad funny.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RFC2324 posted:

Kids are the absolute best audience to market to, since they will pester their parents endlessly to buy the thing. One well placed commercial that a kid sees means their parents suffer infinite commercial for that product til they give in and buy it.

I don't want to derail this fully into marketing chat, we have a thread for that, but do PDP and his peers actually get ads on Youtube for stuff aimed at kids, or do they get the same generic cars and life insurance type crud I zone out of when using a device without an adblocker on it? I've asked this in these kinds of conversations before without an answer. When I've asked my son who's 8 and likes watching LPs in his spare time (his favorite is some british young dude playing Minecraft who is mostly innocuous) his answers were that he pays zero attention to the ads and doesn't remember what they're selling, and that PDP is "too little-kiddy" for him to watch. :iiam:

So as to not have this be an entirely derailed post, here's a sorta funny image that's both sacrilegious and appropriate for the season.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Choco1980 posted:

I don't want to derail this fully into marketing chat, we have a thread for that, but do PDP and his peers actually get ads on Youtube for stuff aimed at kids, or do they get the same generic cars and life insurance type crud I zone out of when using a device without an adblocker on it? I've asked this in these kinds of conversations before without an answer. When I've asked my son who's 8 and likes watching LPs in his spare time (his favorite is some british young dude playing Minecraft who is mostly innocuous) his answers were that he pays zero attention to the ads and doesn't remember what they're selling, and that PDP is "too little-kiddy" for him to watch. :iiam:

So as to not have this be an entirely derailed post, here's a sorta funny image that's both sacrilegious and appropriate for the season.

Given that those ads are driven by your browsing history, I think it would depend on how much the kid dominates the computer and/or how much time other people spend looking at stuff for the kid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Should have been a brown eye :colbert:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

ad networks can work out your demographic pretty quickly. It's kinda creepy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

:perfect:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Suddenly I'm hungry for donuts.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah why don't you go to Hole Foods

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
PYF Funny Pictures - Post two stupid paragraphs, one unfunny picture

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Can someone point me to the background for this smiley? Is this dude wearing an oxygen tube? Or a clear face mask? And who is he?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Can someone point me to the background for this smiley? Is this dude wearing an oxygen tube? Or a clear face mask? And who is he?

He's a character named Rictus Erectus from Mad Max: Fury Road, and the quote is from the movie.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

He's a character named Rictus Erectus from Mad Max: Fury Road, and the quote is from the movie.

And you are a horrible person for not having seen this film.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kenning posted:

p. good

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

C.P.A.N. posted:

PYF Funny Pictures - Post two stupid paragraphs, one unfunny picture

PYF Funny Pictures - Whine about lack of content, don't bother posting any yourself

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dragonwagon posted:

PYF Funny Pictures - Whine about lack of content, don't bother posting any yourself

Agreed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Why is Mr. Data there? He is not a monster!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

His brother Lore is.

Edit: well not in the Universal monster sense, but he is a killer robot.

Blackchamber has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Oct 28, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

His brother Lore is.

:drat:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dragonwagon posted:

Blackchamber posted:

His brother Lore is.

Edit: well not in the Universal monster sense, but he is a killer robot.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Thank you

VendaGoat posted:

And you are a horrible person for not having seen this film.
No argument, i agree

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dragonwagon posted:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Dick Trauma posted:

I will punch you square in the taint.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This just needs "authorised by such-and-such of the Elephant party, Canberra" and it could be an election poster.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I will punch you square in the taint.

Says the monster... :rolleyes:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Suddenly I'm hungry for donuts.

wayfinder posted:

Yeah why don't you go to Hole Foods
I enjoy this. It's dumb as gently caress but I enjoy it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chrissy Teigen's Halloween costume.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

The MSJ posted:

Chrissy Teigen's Halloween costume.

*dumps a bucket of ranch dressing into halloween basket*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming