Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

Paul Ryan is changing his job title. He’s changing his office. And he’s even changing his name.

From today on, the Wisconsin Republican would like to be known – in official capacities, anyway – as Paul D. Ryan.

The Ways and Means chairman asked the Clerk of the House Karen Hass to officially change his name to include the middle initial on all official documents and offices – just one day before Ryan is set to be elected speaker.

Ryan’s middle name is Davis.

Not a joke, this is an actual thing that Paul Ryan requested. God he is going to be a trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rygar201 posted:

Perhaps this is why higher minimum wages, a higher overtime threshold, etc are part of Obama's policy platform?

Nope, that shifty Negro needs to get his Government Hands off your Medicare!

Shifty negro, huh? What other "ironic" labels do you have for Obama?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2015/10/donald-trump-cnbc-debate-will-be-unfair-215243

I could see him really start to turn a lot of people off with a few weeks of this.

Several months ago I argued that Trump would start to play up the "the GOP's being ~*unfair*~ to me!" angle as preparatory to his exit from the race. I sincerely hope I called that one right, both as it'd be nice to have read the wind right, and also because Trump has been here long enough for any good he may have done.*

*"In the name of god, go!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Not a joke, this is an actual thing that Paul Ryan requested. God he is going to be a trainwreck.

This is nothing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Seriously, how is include his initial a train wreck?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Rygar201 posted:

Obviously he wants his name to sound more formal, it's ego.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Radbot posted:

Shifty negro, huh? What other "ironic" labels do you have for Obama?

Holy poo poo dude, lay off the cocaine. You charged in here mad about how Medicare payments were going up with the implied blame being laid at Obama's feet and the Boomer generation, you've been corrected multiple times that the increase was coming long before this grand bargain, and you're still being an antagonistic prick, which is why you're getting picked on. Take a loving break.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Obviously he wants his name to sound more formal, it's ego.

Unlike the self-effacing, humble Democrats like Chuck Schumer and Shelia Jackson Lee.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Paul, The Ryan.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Back when there was a viable alternative to the Trump/Carson show they didn't seem so inevitable. Now literally every "serious" candidate has severe issues. Rubio decided to get out in front of his Senate record by telling everyone he hates being a Senator. Jeb Bush is floundering despite raising a shitzillion dollars. Christie is somehow a less appealing Trump. Everyone hates Cruz. The rest of the candidates would have a hard time getting arrested.

I guess the establishment's hopes rest on Bush getting it together tonight? Seems unlikely. GOP looks doomed to a blowout in the election.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Unlike the self-effacing, humble Democrats like Chuck Schumer and Shelia Jackson Lee.

Ain't No Gator Jive Shelia Jackson Lee can't handle.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rygar201 posted:

There are a bunch of things that can get screwed up when you change something like that. You now have a bunch of documents with the name "Paul Ryan" on them from before he did this, while all new documents will now have the name "Paul D. Ryan" on them. A lot of computers and computer systems will poo poo a brick if everything doesn't match up exactly, because computer systems don't just assume those different names are actually the same person, because different people can and do have the same or similar names.

Also, it would be one thing if he did this while nothing was going on and could handle any problems that pop up. Instead, he's doing this right as he's becoming Speaker of the House, which means he's adding more potential confusion to the lots of chaos and confusion that's already going on.

E: Imagine trying to change your name while you're also in the process of adopting a baby, and all the document screw-ups that might happen when stuff doesn't match like it should.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 28, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The Honorable Paul Davis Ryan of the State of Wisconsin, Speaker of the House and Holder of the Gavel (must be spelled out in its entirety every time)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

World Famous Whore posted:

Two pages back, but this must be said: Alabama's BBQ sauce is not that mayonnaise poo poo. We are a horrible state on our own without you needing to apply something some freaks in the northern tip of the state does to all of us.

I care too much about this.

Alabama's BBQ sauce simply depends on which state the chain restaurant you're sitting in was founded.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Three Olives posted:

In the series, a number of characters have the middle initial "D.". This mysterious initial has been called the "Will of D." or "D.'s will" by several characters in One Piece.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Phone posted:

In the series, a number of characters have the middle initial "D.". This mysterious initial has been called the "Will of D." or "D.'s will" by several characters in One Piece.

I thought Ryan didn't hang out at the Tortilla Coast.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Radbot posted:

I said that premiums were going up, I was called a liar and then was presented evidence that showed they were going up (just not this year and not to current beneficiaries, as if that's fair).
they aren't going up and you are a liar. That they may go up in the future is dependent on a huge unknowable set of factors and potential policy remedies, so saying "but it could be higher in the future" is incredibly loving dishonest; more so since by your own admission you didn't read the article.

quote:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't understand why I'm going to have to pay a far greater share of my income towards Medicare just because of demographic changes, as if I had any control over that, and as if that's the only possible source of extra revenue. It's just a bit too coincidental that none of these changes affect Boomers at all, and smash Gen X/Y.
holy hell you are dumb.

You don't know you are going to have to pay a greater share because you don't know the future cost curve. The cost curve is a function of many parameters, including technology and consumer demographics. This is true of everything that exists, from tacos to sports cars. There also exists a number of possible solutions from political, economic, or development spheres that make your statement even less of a certainty.

You have decided what you will declare the future to be and are throwing a tantrum about it when nothing you are saying is grounded in reality.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Officer Slam has been fired.

Good.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

He was fired not for using force, but for "losing positive control" once he had initiated force (his hands slipped off her between slamming her around) and the students are still facing charges

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Awaiting the GoFundMe to support his legal fund amassing a few hundred thousand dollars from proud supporters of #AllLivesMatter

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'm sure he'll be back on the job with another department in no time. He's not being punished in any meaningful way, and he won't be. Not in this environment, not in this country.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Logikv9 posted:

Awaiting the GoFundMe to support his legal fund amassing a few hundred thousand dollars from proud supporters of #AllLivesMatter

GoFundMe has banned legal defense fundraisers, thankfully.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Paul Ryan started using his middle initial, I knew all along the Republicans were corrupt. :colbert:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
Man, the guy is putting himself in a position to be attacked as a RINO and thinks "I need to add a D to my name." :psyduck:

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Paul Ryan wants the D?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I kinda respect it. He gave his list of demands and made the party loving beg before accepting the speakership, said "I'm gonna be a different kind of speaker PS I'm spring this deal gently caress you" then adds a D to his name. A bunch of moves telling the HFC to go get hosed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also, the Medciare Part B going up was for 30 percent of Part B participants because there was no COLA adjustment this year. If there is COLA incrase, then the premiums are taken from the COLA but because there is no inflation, in trigger an increase.

This was from a law from 2005 I think.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

I kinda respect it. He gave his list of demands and made the party loving beg before accepting the speakership, said "I'm gonna be a different kind of speaker PS I'm spring this deal gently caress you" then adds a D to his name. A bunch of moves telling the HFC to go get hosed.

The D stands for Deez Nuts.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Paul Ryan wants his middle initial addressed? That's almost as silly as Obama wanting dijon mustard on his burger!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Radbot posted:

I'm referring to what we're going to have to pay when we're eligible. Considering flat/negative Gen Y wages and the rate of healthcare premium increases, virtually no one will have enough money to pay for Medicare coverage in 35 years.

Grover Norquist: "The system works!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I've been calling him Officer Suplex.

Fried Chicken posted:

He was fired not for using force, but for "losing positive control" once he had initiated force (his hands slipped off her between slamming her around) and the students are still facing charges

My guess is that the students are still facing charges because it's a way to help defend against lawsuits for excessive force, brutality, etc.

Of course the entire notion of criminally charging juveniles is morally (and arguably scientifically) bankrupt but hey AMERICA

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 28, 2015

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
He's made it clear: if they want him, they need to give him the D.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Fried Chicken posted:

I didn't realize officers were operating under official Judo rules.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mavric posted:

I didn't realize officers were operating under official Judo rules.

All SROs to be replaced with identical clones of Big John McCarthy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Paul "Democrat" Ryan :freep:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Apropos of nothing, two random thoughts have occurred to me that I figured I'd address to you folks:

1.) Smoothrich's posts have inexplicably become more bearable once I realized his username is literally "Rico Suave" translated into English.

2.) Does anyone remember an incident from one of the recent previous elections where a politician sent out a campaign tweet that dropped a character from a YouTube URL, so that it ended up linking to a video of some hairy dude in lingerie and bunny ears playing a bass guitar to jpop? I remember that being goddamn hilarious.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 28, 2015

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Paul "Democrat" Ryan :freep:

This will be popular with freep and the inevitable tea party primary challenger he'll get.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

That's one tenacious D.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paul D. Ryan is a DINO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, the Medciare Part B going up was for 30 percent of Part B participants because there was no COLA adjustment this year. If there is COLA incrase, then the premiums are taken from the COLA but because there is no inflation, in trigger an increase.

This was from a law from 2005 I think.

One major problem is that the COLA depends on CPI-w was a measure of inflation and that doesn't in any way reflect how retirees actually spend (most glaringly only 6.15% of the index is healthcare related, and 19.4% is transport).

• Locked thread