Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I would say like 99% of my plane rides have been enjoyable. I am having a hard time remembering a bad experience, and I've flown upwards of 30 times in my life.

If you go into a flight thinking it will suck it will suck. If you go into it thinking it will be a good time to read a book or watch a movie or whatever while a chauffeur takes you to your destination then you'll probably have a good time.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I admit to have never flown more than 3-4 hours at a time, but why would you ever get on a plane without your own food? I always have a few granola/nut bars in my carryon bag and you can bet if I was flying longer than 8 hours I'd have at least one sandwich in my bag even I had to buy it at the airport.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

I admit to have never flown more than 3-4 hours at a time, but why would you ever get on a plane without your own food? I always have a few granola/nut bars in my carryon bag and you can bet if I was flying longer than 8 hours I'd have at least one sandwich in my bag even I had to buy it at the airport.

Yeah the only thing you can't bring onto the flight is your own drink from home but you can buy one at the air port.

I always figured if terrorists really wanted to it probably wouldn't be hard to get a job at the McDonald's at the airport and smuggle poo poo in. I bet they don't check the bags of the employees at the air port

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

TMMadman posted:

Personally, I don't understand the idea of having food and waiting for later, which is why I have already eaten lunch today.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

Yeah the only thing you can't bring onto the flight is your own drink from home but you can buy one at the air port.

I always figured if terrorists really wanted to it probably wouldn't be hard to get a job at the McDonald's at the airport and smuggle poo poo in. I bet they don't check the bags of the employees at the air port

They do.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

They do.

How do you know? DO YOU WORK AT AN AIRPORT?? I DONT THINK SO.

Anyways they dont check jack poo poo on trains, at least every train I've ridden down here in NC. So trains are very easy to target if you wanted to.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
In Mongolia I stayed in the yurts of nomadic families who herded goats, horses, sheep, or yaks to survive out on the steppe. They had no running water or toilets. They drank fermented mare's milk from a leather bag hanging by the doorway. I ate boiled sheep lungs with them from a huge pot over the stove in the middle of the yurt, which was fired with dried dung. They were happy to have me as their guest for the night for the huge sum, for them, of $10.

They will probably never fly in an airplane at all, but they seemed like happy, uncomplaining people, living in natural beauty and peace, tending their flocks, raising their children, and rich in ways other than money. I appreciated the opportunity to share their way of life while I was there.

When I fly, I appreciate the marvel of being able to fly through they sky in a metal box, to arrive far away in a matter of hours, being offered fizzy sugary drinks and salty snacks, with music and tv at my fingertips. They even have flushing toilets, running water, and air conditioning on those things!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

How do you know? DO YOU WORK AT AN AIRPORT?? I DONT THINK SO.

Anyways they dont check jack poo poo on trains, at least every train I've ridden down here in NC. So trains are very easy to target if you wanted to.

Yes, I have worked in an airport for a job.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Yes, I have worked in an airport for a job.

Do they check all the hamburgers and ingredients?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I am worried that it's not real beef they're using.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

Do they check all the hamburgers and ingredients?

I'm not going to get into details relating to airport security, so feel free to think you've outwitted everyone as much as you want.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Mafia Discussion Thread - Play with the NSA!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of air travel, I will tell you all about my most unique boat trip. A few years ago my family had taken a ferry from Marco Island to Key West for a day of fun. The 3.5 hour trip there passed with no issues as people were having fun and looking forward to a day spent drinking in the sun.

The fun part was the return trip as pretty much everyone on the boat except for mine and one other family were pretty well plastered and most of them went to the upper deck to keep drinking. Unfortunately the weather had turned a bit windy and we were heading straight into it. So what should have been an easy 3.5 hour trip turned into something like 5 hours of up and down action plus some side to side rolling. Every on the ship got sick except for my family (although my mom had to focus on her portable DVD player) while my dad and I laughed while listening to 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'. I don't know what exactly happened on the upper deck but apparently it involved a lot of vomit.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I believe if someone is determined enough to do something they'll find a way

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 27, 2020

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

One time, out in Hawaii, I went on a boat ride with a few strangers. It was only supposed to be for a few hours, but the boat crashed and we ended up on an island for a long time. It was pretty brutal, I was able to use a lot of my engineering/chemistry knowledge to build some devices, but I wasn't able to build a raft because I skipped all my naval engineering classes at school.

Managed to hook up with a movie star though, that was pretty cool.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

One time, out in Hawaii, I went on a boat ride with a few strangers. It was only supposed to be for a few hours, but the boat crashed and we ended up on an island for a long time. It was pretty brutal, I was able to use a lot of my engineering/chemistry knowledge to build some devices, but I wasn't able to build a raft because I skipped all my naval engineering classes at school.

Was it supposed to be only 3 hours?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

CCKeane posted:

Did you eat the rich?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Instead of air travel, I will tell you all about my most unique boat trip. A few years ago my family had taken a ferry from Marco Island to Key West for a day of fun. The 3.5 hour trip there passed with no issues as people were having fun and looking forward to a day spent drinking in the sun.

The fun part was the return trip as pretty much everyone on the boat except for mine and one other family were pretty well plastered and most of them went to the upper deck to keep drinking. Unfortunately the weather had turned a bit windy and we were heading straight into it. So what should have been an easy 3.5 hour trip turned into something like 5 hours of up and down action plus some side to side rolling. Every on the ship got sick except for my family (although my mom had to focus on her portable DVD player) while my dad and I laughed while listening to 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'. I don't know what exactly happened on the upper deck but apparently it involved a lot of vomit.

I've only ever been on small ferries or little riverboat tourist things. I've been on the maid of the mist at Niagara Falls several times. I have no unique boat stories because those are all short and very routine.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

Was it supposed to be only 3 hours?

It was advertised as 270 minutes.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I don't know if this is a unique boat trip story, but it is a boat and plane story and is something I have experienced many times. In Toronto there is an airport downtown on an island in Lake Ontario and for the longest time the only way to get to the island was this little ferry that is one of the shortest ferry rides in the world and so drat pointless. It takes 90 seconds to cross the little bit of water from dock to dock. It takes 15 minutes for it to arrive, everyone to get off and on (cars too), go across the water, empty and fill on the other side and come back.

They finally, just 2 months ago, finished building a pedestrian tunnel to the airport.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
While in high school, I lived in Germany because my father was stationed there. This afforded me additional opportunities to travel around Europe, especially in conjunction with my studies. During an Art History course, we went down to Florence via train. I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but my passport became misplaced on the way down there, which I didn't realize until I was unpacking. Being a teenager and even more full of myself back then, I simply proceeded with an air of confidence and ease, not caring that my lack of passport could cause me serious issues if I was caught by any government forces.

And indeed, everything seemed to be doing well, until I was caught up in the middle of a riot protesting all of the tourists coming to Florence and damaging the objet d'art. I managed to sneak into a side building and wait out the worst of things, and avoid the police. Which of course may well have inspired an idea for the return trip. I hadn't really been thinking about the return trip until I got back onto the train, but what I did was wait for the passport folks to get close to my cabin, before sneaking out and locking myself in the bathroom. Since Italy and Germany are both in the EU, border security is relatively minimal between the two countries, so I was able to make with my autosmuggling with success.

A few months later, my passport was mailed to where I was currently living. I assumed that the train personnel found it on the train that I took down, and were able to find my current address from the information within.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like the ferry at Toronto island v:shobon:v

It must be really nice to travel to a different country. I've been meaning to take a bus trip to new york but haven't been able to yet, so I have my sights set on next summer!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
How the gently caress did I miss page 420

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

How the gently caress did I miss page 420

Because you got high
Because you got high
Because you got high

BottleKnight if you were alive in the early aughts you would have appreciated that joke.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CCKeane posted:

Because you got high
Because you got high
Because you got high

BottleKnight if you were alive in the early aughts you would have appreciated that joke.

I feel obligated to tell you I got the joke because I really am young enough to put your toddler jokes in a kind of twilight zone.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I feel obligated to tell you I got the joke because I really am young enough to put your toddler jokes in a kind of twilight zone.

What does that mean?

Either way it's a lyric from a woman abusing rap musician. And as such should never be uttered ever

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

Hopefully it will be that twilight zone without dialogue.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BottleKnight posted:

WHEN THE BULLET HITS THE BONE

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CCKeane posted:

Hopefully it will be that twilight zone without dialogue.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What's the point of life? I have a hard time seeing any real point in anything.

What do you guys think? What's the meaning of life

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I lived in Moscow, Russia for three years and as part of the deal between my parents for me moving out there, I flew back to visit my dad in Michigan five times a year, yes five times round trip. Crossing the ocean was about 9 hours and then whatever connection I had added 3-4 hours to that. Luckily it was during the Golden Age of Game Boy Color and Pokemon so I brought plenty of batteries and a book or two. I actually really like flying nowadays, it gives me a chance to catch up on my reading.

I hate the airports but my coping mechanism is to get loaded before I go on any flight longer than 3 hours.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

What you make it bb

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Magnus Gallant posted:

Right now I'm not sure there is one

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I mean a lot of people gain a sense of purpose from their children but those feelings are just evolutionary traits based on making sure the human race survives.

Humans actively destroy the environment, and kill animals for no reason.

Why should we continue to exist.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Magnus Gallant posted:

Connections, bonds. With people with places, it doesn't matter. They are what you leave behind, they are what you take with you. They are your legacy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
There is no reason other than an instinctual desire. It's all random anyway

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

I mostly see my life purpose as causing mischief and tomfoolery.

I hope I meet a genie who grants me wishes so I can use my first wish on "I wish you wouldn't grant me this wish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

For example I will now "troll" this thread by pointing out that sports are good.