Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mom took her Avalon to get a tire rotation at NTB. Naturally, they saw an older female, and assumed "knows nothing about cars, will accept what we tell her, let's find everything wrong!".

She was presented with an $800 quote just for brakes (nearly $3000 on the estimate, for plenty of other stuff too). They said all 4 rotors were hosed, the pads were "dangerous", and she needed to do something immediately. So she had me look at it.

Front pads had at least 15k left in them, the rotors did need attention (it would shake pretty bad while braking, so "warped rotors" aka lots of pad material built up on the rotors). Did the fronts a few days ago.

Rear rotors looked great, aside from being rusted to the hubs - they had a tiny ridge on the very edge, but measure to be within spec. Pads were almost down to the wear indicators, but not close to metal on metal yet. Did the rears today.

I'd picked up pads + rotors for all 4 corners from Advance Auto for $125 out the door (:love: their 30% off coupon). Returning the rear rotors tomorrow (so a ~$40 refund coming back), I saw absolutely no reason to replace the existing ones. So overall, $85 out the door to do new pads on all 4 + new front rotors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Started playing around with plasti dip on my beater winter wheels:

Three coats of dark gray, two coats of silver metalizer...pictures don't really do it justice but it looks much better than it should for something that isn't even paint.

And yes, I know I should be doing this with the tires mounted - I just wanted to see what it would look like.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

some texas redneck posted:

I was wondering the same. Wouldn't that keep it in open loop all the time? Even if it was tuned to think 160 is fully warmed up, that's gotta do a number on both wear (since the oil won't get as warm) and emissions.

It's partly due to a slight but noticeable increase in operating temp not long after I tuned it with the Diablosport tuner the first time; and also to satisfy my own curiosity to see how well it will run/perform with a 170° average temp rather than the 190°-200° it does now.
I'm hoping the tuner will help take care of any issues with open/closed loop and emissions, as there are more than enough adjustable parameters on it to make me regret investing in my Snap-On Solus even more than I already do.
However, I was unaware that a decrease in operating temp like that would have any kind of serious effect on the oils ability to do its job, but I've been wrong before. Really? :confused:

Ultimately; if it proves to be more of a detriment than anything else, I'll simply swap a 190° stat back in.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
https://youtu.be/Rr5pbSL6NL4

Had a custom made exhaust fitted as the Porsche ones were silly money.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Finished with the e46 M3's power steering pump. Ran loving 5 qts of ATF through it flushing the metal flakes out. Didn't get it all but its not bad. Pretty sure Im going to need a new rack. CSL rack time? Maybe.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Oil change!

That sure is a lot of used oil. That's a 5 gallon bucket.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Replaced a tail globe that was shorting out (park light had blown and the filament was shorting on the brake light filament.

Also replaced 2 lovely chinese hose clamps that kept stripping when you so much as looked at them sternly. For whatever reason they were also 7mm nuts instead of 8 like the rest of the car. this has been remedied and boost is once again surging through the pipes with much whooshness.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Full detail with paint correction and sealant.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

DropShadow posted:

This is a drat good looking car.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

DropShadow posted:

Nice, I had this full treatment too. Took the guy 3 days of solid work to get it right as it was a red car that had gone salmon pink and in some cases, white. Asides from the usual stonechips it looks factory fresh. A few people asked me if I got it painted recently too.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Here's some photos of the exhaust.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Put a 3" Cobb DP on the WRX. Super quick job, about an hour. Next to play with the tune.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Installed some sequential tail lights. :whatup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FPglVUuXEw

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Cage posted:

Installed some sequential tail lights. :whatup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FPglVUuXEw

Hey I have those too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlEm6FoHAl8

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Finally managed to remove the windscreen out of my Saab with both the seal and screen intact :)

Now it is living in my spare bedroom and I can sort the rust around the lip and then respray the car.

Also drove the car around a bit in the garage area behind my house with no glass in, no doors, no bonnet and no interior (sat on a box). Great fun!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

Truck got ball joints today. Since I don't snapchat anymore, here's a thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps6yUBFcsnY
.290" vertical play, .120" horizontal.

:stare: I drove on that, in traffic and at speed.

I'd still test-drive a beater truck for anyone, though. I'll just be more scared if I do.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Changed my pads and rotors. Brought the used pads/rotors back to GET IN THE ZONE! AUTOZONE for a refund. God Bless Limited Lifetime Warranties.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I swapped out the front brake lines and bleeders since they got Michigan'd. Probably original 15 year old lines that made sense to replace as I'm going to be towing with this truck and don't want to blow a line. Bleeders are supposed to be 10mm and a 10 or 9 wouldn't fit on it so out came the vice grips. I couldn't get the rear bleeders to move so I'm going to revisit those to flush the whole system later. Surprisingly they aren't rusted though but I didn't want to round them off since I was feeling a bit rushed. The truck doesn't fit in the garage (too long) so I didn't want to leave it half in there overnight with the door open.

Need to get the rest of this nasty poo poo out of here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got a full set of new tyres for the Laser yesterday. Today it got a new set of spark plugs, new wiper blades (including the rear hatch wiper) and a wash

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Swapped out the shittiest inflatable tires ever on the 30 gallon air compressor with solids, added a wood strip to the other side so I'd have a little more clearance room from the floor, and replaced the small length of brass pipe w ball valve (that had in turn replaced the drain valve) with stripped threads from the weight of the compressor ending up on it due to lovely original tires.

Then finally was able to get all my truck tires filled in prep for hauling poo poo tomorrow. That's what I did to my ride today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guess who just doubled their cargo capacity :smug:

e: all the unofficial imgur phone apps now say "unauthorized" when you try to upload straight from the phone, and the official app is dogshit. :(

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 24, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

Image broken

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

twas a bed on a bed

so you can truck while you truck

catchphrase

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Washed/vacuumed and deep cleaned the interior of my 3. I can't stand a dirty car interior so there wasn't much but a few receipts in the glovebox but there was dirt and leaves in the carpet from a recent camping trip and it was driving me crazy.

Then I took the Miata out for a long drive on some back roads. Feels good, man.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

e: all the unofficial imgur phone apps now say "unauthorized" when you try to upload straight from the phone, and the official app is dogshit. :(

And I thought duallies were ridiculous; science has gone too far.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I swapped from my 285/75R16 Toyo Mud Terrains to my 265/75R16 BFG All Terrains yesterday, its getting warm again and my backyards no longer a swamp that requires muddies, so I'll stop wearing em out on the tar.

Went to the 4wd show today, picked up a lightforce 10" dual row LED light bar to go with my 2x 50W HID Lightforce XGT's. Im not scared of the dark much, the HID's throw 5200 lumens each, and the bar throws 5600 Lumen, but the big spots reach 1.5+km down the road, so the light bar will fill in the "out to 300m" bit nicely

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
From the stock intercooler and piping to the Cobb intercooler and piping:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Since the Fit is gone, it no longer needs these wheels and tires:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I took it for a drive before it gets put away for the winter.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Replaced the seatbelt, went from a lap belt to a manual adjustable shoulder belt. There is already a mount for the shoulder part and went perfectly. It's strange not having a tensioner but it will certainly work better if something happens. I don't want to learn how a collapsible steering column works.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Played operation with my right side carbs. Cylinder 1's carb decided it no longer wished to give fuel when using less than 1/2 throttle, making my beetle sound like a loud Subaru going down the road.

Never did see the blockage, but, it runs great again now and is back to doing wheelies on demand.

PhoenixWing fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 26, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I hovered over the "buy now" button for a few hours for some control arms and ball joints, but figured its a good idea to not have your winter vehicles front wheels go wonky in the snow.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Built an awesome wall-mounted tire rack with my dad.

It's attached to the wall with 9 expansion bolts, and was able to take ~200kg (me+my dad) hanging by the outer edge, no problem at all. It only has to hold up ~150kg of wheels, so I consider that a success.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Installed my neat little EVDM (engine vitals digital meter). Oil pressure (or fuel pressure), oil temp (or water temp) and volts. hi/low warning settings, metric and imperial choices, heaps of varying displays.

This is it in oil temp/pressure mode with the graph up top showing pressure w/ high and low warning points.

It took me a long time as I spent 2-3 nights planning the wiring and terminating it all with bullet connectors to make install and issue diagnosis easier. Unfortunately all the sensors have independant wiring so there was like 4 earths and 3 sensor wires plus all the wiring for the unit itself (ground, power, 12v constant, headlight sensor wire)

When time and confidence permits I might disassemble the dash, remove the broken digital clock from the cluster, and put the display in there.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've been sick in bed for the past 3 days, so I've started making Visio symbols to make up fancy car wiring diagrams replete with part numbers/wire gauges etc. Should be pretty cool. Or I'll just fall asleep and have more fever dreams, whichever happens first.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The only feature that was bugging me on the Corvette was the lack of bluetooth/USB for phone (I'm in the car a lot for work) and music so today I installed this DVD receiver with BT connectivity. Excuse the poor photo, we had a power outage today because a goddamn military blimp started crashing into power lines willy-nilly in my area so I took this in a dark garage with flash.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The only feature that was bugging me on the Corvette was the lack of bluetooth/USB for phone (I'm in the car a lot for work) and music so today I installed this DVD receiver with BT connectivity. Excuse the poor photo, we had a power outage today because a goddamn military blimp started crashing into power lines willy-nilly in my area so I took this in a dark garage with flash.

Congrats on quadrupling the resolution of the nav screen.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Made it about this far, then I was out.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Shattered my rear windshield like a loving moron. At least I have a garage now and can park it out of the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FancyMike posted:

Shattered my rear windshield like a loving moron. At least I have a garage now and can park it out of the rain.

That's the best feeling in the god drat world, isn't it?