Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I am using Google Chrome.

I want that "Print..." option removed. I never want to see it again. How do I get rid of it? I've tried googling it and the closest thing I've found to helpful advice was some guy advising someone to edit the preferences file for Google Chrome. I'm assuming he means the file called master preferences that I see in the Chrome folder, but I have no idea how to open that file, opening it in notepad just gives me gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

loving WHY? That button used to work, and now it gives me that error message no matter what fuckin file I'm trying to make work. Going into that panel and creating an association does nothing and why would it because obviously that program's already got a damned program associated with it. Windows 7.

The problem here is not getting a file to work, it's just the lack of a shortcut that I used to have easy access to.

I also never managed to get a fix for this, if anyone in the thread now knows of a way to fix it. The second image is a result of clicking the highlighted option in the first image. I know how to do it the long way but I really wish the shortcut still worked.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
ok, first of all, I have no idea what I'm doing here, but if I were to guess, your "Recommended Programs" list for the "Open With" is broken for some reason, and I would try to check how it's built in general. So I checked if there is some way to edit that list and I found http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-unassociate-remove-or-delete-programs-from-open-with-or-recommended-programs-list/ this will probably give you pointer as to the places on the registry where there is data for this and you can check to see if there is anything weird there maybe, like maybe it's some program you uninstalled but left a broken entry in these registry entries.
This theory of mine is kind of weak since there is a similar list right on the context menu but that's all I have besides just reinstalling windows. You know you can reinstall windows without formating right?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
is there a way to search the forums for the first post in a thread only? I'm looking for threads created by a particular person and I just can't think of a way. The upgrades made to the search page were really great but I find myself constantly needing to search for first posts only and I can't find a way to do it anymore.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

On average, over the past 150 years, yes. Another advantage is low management fees. Funds with your bank will charge in the region of 2%, which adds up to insane amounts over the mid-long term.

A Vanguard fund is usually around .10% in fees.

In a given year, you may lose 30% or gain 30% or anything beyond or in between. This is not necessarily a get-rich-quick scheme, just sound long-term investing.

Seriously, check out the BFC thread. Things are good over there.

Can you link me to wherever you found out that 80% Vanguard VFIAX, 20% Dodge & Cox DODFX is a good asset allocation and can consistently return at 8%? I can't find any info about it when looking.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
Is that thread more appropriate for my original question about investing with 75k? I currently have a little money in a Roth IRA through Vanguard, but nothing like the VFIAX which looks like it requires an initial investment of 10k.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
For what it's worth, I personally think making investment decisions based on "some goon told me in the stupid/small questions thread online" means your money is doomed anyway and you should give it to me for safekeeping.

Yes, I suggest any question on investing go to the forum filled with goons who invest, rather than this thread for small/stupid questions. But again I wouldn't rely on any goon, especially as goons are notorious for being terrible at all things at all times, and Star Citizen is seen as a good investment.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I'm looking to get a modem/wireless router combo. anything in particular I should be looking for? I have xfinity 5mbps blast package, and the devices usually run are like 2 desktops with gaming and streaming

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

Can you link me to wherever you found out that 80% Vanguard VFIAX, 20% Dodge & Cox DODFX is a good asset allocation and can consistently return at 8%? I can't find any info about it when looking.

I wouldn't specifically buy those funds, but I'm Canadian and hold a mix of VTI VXUS, VAB, VCB, ZRB, and some REIT ETFs. The argument is basically that funds that match the market get market returns minus fees and lag and the market typically returns 7-8% on a long enough timeframe. That's not controversial. If you want historical data on the market, check out Bernstein's four pillars of investing. You can also read blogs like Mr. Money Mustache, who has a lot on investing for early retirement but some good data you can cross reference. I like Canadian Couch Potato, who does a similar thing for Canada.

I think the FIRE calculator also explains historical trends.

The long term investing thread has details as well.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Someone guess what this god drat sound is. It's a radio contest being held here. No one has guessed it correctly. It's driving me crazy:

https://soundcloud.com/z953/z-fx-10

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

xzoto1 posted:

Someone guess what this god drat sound is. It's a radio contest being held here. No one has guessed it correctly. It's driving me crazy:

A slot machine, but just before it starts to spin?

Coin return on a pay phone?

Return key on a typewriter?

Button on a soda can dispensing machine?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

xzoto1 posted:

grocery cart on rough pavement

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm feeling a sound effect for deleting something for some operating system I'm not familiar with.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

xzoto1 posted:

Candy corn being thrown into a metal bowl

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Question came up during dinner: what female comedian is the closest thing to being a female equivalent of Mitch Hedberg?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Question came up during dinner: what female comedian is the closest thing to being a female equivalent of Mitch Hedberg?

Maria Bamford comes to mind

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TATPants posted:

Candy corn being thrown into a metal bowl

Pringles

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Andy Erikson

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there someplace with a good "server racking for idiots" guide? One of the offices I work with ordered a rack server from a new vendor, and we've historically only worked with free-standing servers, so now I need a rack that will hold it along with some networking poo poo (like, a handful of switches).

I think I need something small, and probably free-standing, and tried looking on Amazon, but the racks talk about needing shelves or mounts and I'm not sure what to get when it comes to that. Most of the guides I've found online are either way too basic ("this is the difference between a rack-mounted server and a blade server") or run by people trying to sell me server racks.

Additionally, where's the best place to buy server racks?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Going to be landing in LA this weekend and made a car rental reservation a few weeks ago. However, instead of the model that I reserved, I would like to potentially downgrade. Does anyone know if the car rental agencies at the airport are pretty flexible in changing reservations at the counter?

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I'm playing Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and am getting impatient with the writing & Otherworld segments. I just entered Alchemilla; how far am I into the game? (I'm guessing halfway-ish, though How Long to Beat doesn't really bear that out.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Busy Bee posted:

Going to be landing in LA this weekend and made a car rental reservation a few weeks ago. However, instead of the model that I reserved, I would like to potentially downgrade. Does anyone know if the car rental agencies at the airport are pretty flexible in changing reservations at the counter?

They're constantly trying to upgrade you to a larger (more expensive) vehicle, so I don't see why a downgrade wouldn't be possible.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

You can for sure downgrade but that'll be contingent on if they have cars available, and you'd be surprised how often rental agencies run out of cars, even at LAX. You don't lose anything by calling them tonight and asking them to change your reservation now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Often enough, if there's high demand for "downgrade" cars when you land, getting a "lesser" car could cost more than whatever you have reserved even if it's higher tier.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Van Dis posted:

You can for sure downgrade but that'll be contingent on if they have cars available, and you'd be surprised how often rental agencies run out of cars, even at LAX. You don't lose anything by calling them tonight and asking them to change your reservation now.
They make bonuses on upgrading you, that's why they push it so hard. They also make bonuses on 14 kinds of insurance, renting you the same GPS that's on your phone, and child restraints.

I have never tried downgrading at the counter, but rest assured anything that is going to save you money is impossible at the counter. Cancel and re-book.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there anyway I can export SA smilies to use as emoji on other platforms (wechat, texting, whatsapp etc?). Sometimes I really need to use :argh:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

Is there anyway I can export SA smilies to use as emoji on other platforms (wechat, texting, whatsapp etc?). Sometimes I really need to use :argh:

I would pay for an SA smilies app.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

V for Vegas posted:

downthemall Add-on if you have Firefox.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Busy Bee posted:

I hired a car in Italy and found when I got there that they'd given me a 'free' upgrade to a significantly bulkier car.
A pity that we were driving on the Amalfi coast which features some really tight coastal cliffside roads, I would really much rather have just had the smaller car...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
...and that's why they did it. They couldn't flog off the bigger cars because the smaller cars were in more demand for the conditions, thus they were more expensive. Or they possibly had no smaller cars for the same reason.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Thanatosian posted:

Is there someplace with a good "server racking for idiots" guide? One of the offices I work with ordered a rack server from a new vendor, and we've historically only worked with free-standing servers, so now I need a rack that will hold it along with some networking poo poo (like, a handful of switches).

I think I need something small, and probably free-standing, and tried looking on Amazon, but the racks talk about needing shelves or mounts and I'm not sure what to get when it comes to that. Most of the guides I've found online are either way too basic ("this is the difference between a rack-mounted server and a blade server") or run by people trying to sell me server racks.

If you already have the rack server, it will probably have a set of rack rails with it. These rails mount horizontally to the rack, and then the server slides onto the rails.
The rack will have vertical posts at each corner, with a row of mounting holes in each. There are basically three mounting systems:
* square holes (probably the most common now)
* unthreaded round holes
* threaded round holes (probably the rarest)

Some manufacturers have "universal" rack rail kits that fit to all three systems, but not all. If you already have the rack rails for your server, find out which mounting system(s) they can be used with, and choose the rack to match.

A shelf in a rack is basically the alternative if you cannot get the server properly attached to the rack posts.

There is a concept of rack units - one rack unit is 1.75 inches of vertical space, with a set of three mounting holes per vertical post associated with it. Note that the mounting holes in the rack posts are not evenly spaced.

If you don't need every inch of capacity in your rack, you might want to leave some empty space between the devices you mount. This is especially important with switches (or any other stuff that will have a large number of cables connected to it).

Most rack servers can be pulled out on their rails for maintenance, just like a very long drawer. To do that safely, the rack must be either:
* bolted to the floor/wall/whatever
* equipped with anti-tip feet (and those feet must be extended before sliding a server to maintenance position!)
* very heavy (either because it has so much other stuff in it, or because it has extra weights at the back to keep it from tipping)

There's a slight problem with putting servers and switches in the same rack: most rack servers are designed to accept essentially all of their cabling from the back, and essentially all the switches expect the cables to plug in to the front face. On a free-standing rack, you can solve this by just mounting the switches to the "rear" side of the rack. Wall-mounted racks are essentially intended for switches only, both because of the cabling and because rack-mount servers are usually much deeper than switches.

A fully populated server rack can take in a surprising amount of electrical power, and turn most of it into a lot of warm air. Most rack-mount servers take in cooling air from the front, and exhaust through the back. If the rack is close to some other hardware that needs cooling, make sure the exhaust side is not pointed to the other hardware's cooling air intakes.

Server cabling: Often brand-name servers' rack kits include a cable management arm. If you use it, you're supposed to route all the cables going to the back of the server through the arm. That way, you'll be able to pull the server to maintenance position without unplugging it, which might be useful if your server includes hot-swappable components (fans etc.). If you don't use a cable management arm, you must either accept that the server must be unplugged before any hardware maintenance, or make sure you'll always have enough slack in allt the cables so that the server can be extended if necessary. Without a cable management arm, that slack will easily become one big mess at the rear of the rack unless very carefully managed. Don't make such a mess, or you will hate yourself later.

The width of the rack servers and switches is the standard 19", but for switches, you would prefer a rack that has extra space at the sides for cables. You'll want the cables to go first to either side off the face of the equipment and then wherever they'll need to go; if you make a cable go directly up or down from wherever it is plugged in, it will block other equipment in the rack, which will make maintenance and service a huge pain in the rear end.

Edit: one more thing. Make sure there is enough free space at the front of a server rack, so that a server can be completely pulled off its rails and replaced, if necessary. Many rack-mount servers can be (non-destructively) un-installed from the rack only by pulling them all the way out of their rails; if there is not enough space to do that, those servers will stay there forever.

(At work, we have one or two old N-class HP-UX servers that aren't going anywhere because someone placed the next row of racks leaving only just enough space for regular-depth servers; an N-class is extra deep. Since they cannot be pulled completely out, the old big heavy bastards are stuck in there until the other row is scrapped too.)

telcoM fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 30, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

V for Vegas posted:

Someone somewhere made an SA icon emoji pack for Jabber clients.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

V for Vegas posted:

There's an SA emoticon plugin for most PC IM clients. I've only used the pidgin version which just locally replaces any valid :smiliestring: with the appropriate smilie. So the other person will only see it if they have it installed too.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

V for Vegas posted:

I just save them and upload them as images in hangouts conversations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there a brew your own beer thread somewhere? I've stared home brewing and I'd like to chat with other goons about home brewing.

Phi Fi Fo Fum
Dec 28, 2010
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437782

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bless you, sir.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
is there a website that isn't garbage at looking up who these random fucks are that call me, and is also free?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Unless they're actually legit, they're probably spoofing numbers, so it wouldn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump.mp4
Feb 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a Roku Streaming Stick but my TV doesn't have a USB outlet. I don't have the roku wall charger that came with it. Can I just use an iphone wall charger? Is that safe to leave plugged in all the time with the roku stick plugged into it?