Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Punisher is basically Batman without the pretense that Batman would never kill or that Batman is better than the criminals themselves.

That being said, Joss Whedon had it right when he said the Punisher should never be seen as a hero and the fact that he has never really killed an innocent is bullshit. The man is a psychopath who just happens to target people that have no real protection.

Yeah, he's going to work great as a dark mirror for Matt in season 2. While Kingpin was a great ideological foil for Daredevil, Frank is straight up "What if Daredevil thought it was fine to kill people". I fully expect them to delve even deeper into the "here's why heroes don't kill, even if it seems silly and inexpedient to our real world sensibilities".

Ignite Memories posted:

Are you suggesting we should want to? Because that's awesome.

Not at all, but that's gonna cost some SFX bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Danny Rand gets his powers from killing a giant magic dragon with his bare hands and well you just can't get around that.

Technically he doesn't kill Shao Lao the undying...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Whoever said "watch The Shield" is right. I just don't get what they could possibly do with Frank. Make him a reoccuring character by all means but unless you just adapt Punisher MAX wholesale, which means globetrotting, then what exactly do you film that we don't get in Daredevil?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

lol if you think an Iron Fist show wouldn't just be Daredevil mk. 2

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Um, Danny Rand is rich, and Matt Murdock is poor, so obviously they are different?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hakkesshu posted:

Punched a dragon in the heart for magic kung fu powers. Can not be stressed enough how amazingly weird a setting that would be to add to the MCU.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Snak posted:

I mean, I'm one of the people who thinks that Punisher: War Zone is the best live-action feature-film adaption of the character, so...

edit: ^It would be pretty cool to do like an anthology of a bunch of different writer/directors doing one-shots of Frank's origin.

It totally was.
Ray Stevenson was a great Frank.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Punched a dragon in the heart for magic kung fu powers. Can not be stressed enough how amazingly weird a setting that would be to add to the MCU.

Yeah but they're not gonna do that poo poo in a TV show. It's just gonna be a bunch of martial arts with allusions to mystical stuff happening, just like Daredevil.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Boogaleeboo posted:

After hugging it into unconsciousness over the burning dragon shaped scar in its chest so hard that it branded him.

Anyone who doesnt want to see that in the MCU and would prefer the punishers "Angry vigilante kills the criminals the cops cant touch with guns" routine... Well I just dont get some people I guess. I wonder if George St-Pierre would be willing to reprise the role of Batroc (Ze Leaper!) for a guest shot in Iron Fist? When I was a kid an issue of Iron Fist where he fought Batroc was one of my favourite comics.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I don't see how IF's origin story hinders the series in any way. Like, at all. You can still do a mystical background with a more "normal" TV show (which, honestly, IF doesn't even have to be normal). Hell, look at Arrow, his background of him on the island is just as weird and non-normal (it's practically Lost at points).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SiKboy posted:

After hugging it into unconsciousness over the burning dragon shaped scar in its chest so hard that it branded him.

Anyone who doesnt want to see that in the MCU and would prefer the punishers "Angry vigilante kills the criminals the cops cant touch with guns" routine... Well I just dont get some people I guess. I wonder if George St-Pierre would be willing to reprise the role of Batroc (Ze Leaper!) for a guest shot in Iron Fist? When I was a kid an issue of Iron Fist where he fought Batroc was one of my favourite comics.

We're going to be able to ID all the psychos that like this show because next season they'll be all "Look, Frank is right".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
#frankwasright

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Just make the dragon an alien. Done. It's not like this universe has a shortage of dragon looking aliens that get punched from the inside out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I don't think Iron Fist is too mystical for MCU struggling, but I do worry about it looking cheap if they're too ambitious. I would definitely be more interested in urban kung fu stories than the growly adventures of Sgt. Shootemup.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I don't see how IF's origin story hinders the series in any way. Like, at all. You can still do a mystical background with a more "normal" TV show (which, honestly, IF doesn't even have to be normal). Hell, look at Arrow, his background of him on the island is just as weird and non-normal (it's practically Lost at points).

This basically happened in Kung Fu back in the 70s.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Soylentbits posted:

Just make the dragon an alien. Done. It's not like this universe has a shortage of dragon looking aliens that get punched from the inside out.

I mean, deep down I think we are all hoping that if iron fist goes over well then by Netflix MCU wave 3 or so we'll have an episode of TV where Nextwave fight Fin Fang Foom, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

After seeing King Shark on Flash last night, I believe anything is possible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the fact that there are mystical elements in Iron Fist is at all the problem. The problem is how they portray it visual. MCU has Thorworld, Vision, and Dr. Strange is coming. Iron Fist is not at all a problem thematically. How they are gonna do it on a TV budget AND have it fit directly in with DD and JJ is the question.

^Holy poo poo I need to go watch that episode right now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I want wave 2 to focus on cosmic heroes and form a team by the end the same way wave 1 of Netflix builds up to the Defenders. With Starjammers out due to rights and Guardians a successful movie franchise though I don't think there are any good cosmic teams left. Still, it'd be nice to see a Rom Space Knight, Quasar and Beta-Ray Bill series with them teaming up at the end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I want wave 2 to focus on cosmic heroes and form a team by the end the same way wave 1 of Netflix builds up to the Defenders. With Starjammers out due to rights and Guardians a successful movie franchise though I don't think there are any good cosmic teams left. Still, it'd be nice to see a Rom Space Knight, Quasar and Beta-Ray Bill series with them teaming up at the end.

I'm still holding out hope that Fox will fold and sell Marvel the rest of the rights. GotG proved that a Starjammers movie could totally work and fight right into the existing MCU. Which means they could do the Dark Phoenix arc all proper with the Kree and Shi'ar.

Not gonna lie, I've always wanted to see Professor Xavier's epic romance with Shi'ar Empress Lilandra on the big screen.

I might be the only person.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Snak posted:

I don't think the fact that there are mystical elements in Iron Fist is at all the problem. The problem is how they portray it visual. MCU has Thorworld, Vision, and Dr. Strange is coming. Iron Fist is not at all a problem thematically. How they are gonna do it on a TV budget AND have it fit directly in with DD and JJ is the question.

^Holy poo poo I need to go watch that episode right now.

Its not like Iron Fist fights a dragon often. They have to stump up the budget to make it look decent once. He gets his rear end kicked by the dragon, fire everywhere hiding a lot of things that would be expensive to shot in detail, close up of him hugging a reptilian neck, dragon collapses, iron fist punches heart. Which it should be mentioned isnt inside the dragon, its in a brazier type thing in the temple it was guarding.

Dont get me wrong, more expensive to film than "blindfolded guy fights ninjas in a warehouse" but you'd only need a couple of minutes of CGI dragon, I'd imagine K'un Lun (the mystic city) would mainly appear in flashbacks and the bulk of the series would be iron fist fighing ninjas in warehouses.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Guys guys, we all know punsiher would be another retelling of Welcome Back Frank,

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean I don't think it would be a problem at all in the right hand. But I'm sure it's what most people, including producers, are probably worried about.

I think they could do his origin without even showing him fight Shao Lao. There can be the lead up, the training, the Thunderer, and then like, fade out on him going to fight Shao Lao. Flash forward to whatever he's currently doing in the present to day to reveal that obviously he became the Iron Fist when he activate the Iron Fist and proceeds to kick rear end. The issue is not showing Shao Lao ever, it's making a fight between a man and a dragon look good. gently caress even attempting that. Show the dragon, imply the fight.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

tsob posted:

It seems like you could do a lot with the Nova Corps.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd be cool with a Punisher series but I also really don't mind characters like Punisher, Iron Fist, or even Luke Cage being relegated to showing up in other heroes' Netflix series. Like if they're already major characters, why do they even need a spinoff? Just make them big enough presences that the Defenders will still make sense because you already know who they are.

Though I kinda just want to see them do a full episode based on that Punisher: War Zone issue in the 90s where he just chills in a treehouse in Central Park and snipes thieves and rapists.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well I feel like Iron Fist won't show up until at least Luke Cage's show, so I'm not thinking he'll be a "spin-off". We might not even see him at all until his series.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Soylentbits posted:

Shao Lao is an alien dragon that at a distant point in the past invaded Kun Lun from another dimension, and Kun Lun itself is in a separate dimension from us. So hes a Double Dragon Alien.

SaintFu posted:

It seems like you could do a lot with the Nova Corps.

Nova Corps has the problem of being an obvious rip off of Green Lantern, which was an epic box office bomb.

sticklefifer posted:

I'd be cool with a Punisher series but I also really don't mind characters like Punisher, Iron Fist, or even Luke Cage being relegated to showing up in other heroes' Netflix series. Like if they're already major characters, why do they even need a spinoff? Just make them big enough presences that the Defenders will still make sense because you already know who they are.

Though I kinda just want to see them do a full episode based on that Punisher: War Zone issue in the 90s where he just chills in a treehouse in Central Park and snipes thieves and rapists.

If Punisher gets a series I want to see the Luke Cage team up from when Frank was black for a few weeks. Just exactly as it was in the comics. I long to witness the reaction to that story being told in 2015.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Gyges posted:

Nova Corps has the problem of being an obvious rip off of Green Lantern, which was an epic box office bomb.

I’d be willing to bet that more people know of the Nova Corps from Guardians of the Galaxy than have ever picked up a Green Lantern comic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SaintFu posted:

I’d be willing to bet that more people know of the Nova Corps from Guardians of the Galaxy than have ever picked up a Green Lantern comic.

Yea, the problem with the Nova Corps is less association with Green Lantern and more that Guardians has already established them and that they are not only completely different to the Green Lantern Corps (or their comics selves), but that they're really just what they sound like Cosmic Cops. They have no super powers, they have no ability to fly in space or fire blasts from their hands or anything at all. They're just regular guys in spaceships patrolling a beat. Which you could make a show out of, but it wouldn't be nearly as exciting as Cosmic Cops suggests and would probably work better as a comedy than a drama series.

Either that, or the show would have to go well out of it's way to change what a Nova cop is capable of and use some hefty plot magic to do it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

Yea, the problem with the Nova Corps is less association with Green Lantern and more that Guardians has already established them and that they are not only completely different to the Green Lantern Corps (or their comics selves), but that they're really just what they sound like Cosmic Cops. They have no super powers, they have no ability to fly in space or fire blasts from their hands or anything at all. They're just regular guys in spaceships patrolling a beat. Which you could make a show out of, but it wouldn't be nearly as exciting as Cosmic Cops suggests and would probably work better as a comedy than a drama series.

Either that, or the show would have to go well out of it's way to change what a Nova cop is capable of and use some hefty plot magic to do it.

The Nova Corps is in possession of an infinity gem, not much plot magic or real twisting needed to just give them an upgrade. Of course when Thanos gets all the gems for Avengers Infinity that would affect the project. Really though it would just give them the opportunity to rip off the Spawn idea of a limited amount of power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do not make Shou Lou anything other than a magic kung fu dragon, thanks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress it, make Iron Fist about that one lady Iron Fist from China who blew battleships up with chi-arrows. It can be a period piece and she can be after the McGuffin from Defenders. If you're going to be totally impractical, go the whole hog.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

zoux posted:

Do not make Shou Lou anything other than a magic kung fu dragon, thanks.

Danny becomes the Iron Fist by beating up a gangster named Shou "The Dragon" Lou and taking his trademark iron knuckles.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

The Nova Corps is in possession of an infinity gem, not much plot magic or real twisting needed to just give them an upgrade. Of course when Thanos gets all the gems for Avengers Infinity that would affect the project. Really though it would just give them the opportunity to rip off the Spawn idea of a limited amount of power.

So they did. For some reason I thought they gave it to the collector. Must be getting it mixed up with Avengers or something. It still seems rather a radical shift, but it's possible regardless.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I also don't understand people's fascination with Green Lantern, both here and in The Arrow thread. He's a pretty boring character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I also don't understand people's fascination with Green Lantern, both here and in The Arrow thread. He's a pretty boring character.

There have been multiple Green Lanterns -- five significant ones from Earth, plus countless aliens. But the main guy that always gets pushed, Hal Jordan (from the movie), is a boring and stupid idiot.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There have been multiple Green Lanterns -- five significant ones from Earth, plus countless aliens. But the main guy that always gets pushed, Hal Jordan (from the movie), is a boring and stupid idiot.

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

The others are all better, with something unique to make them cool and interesting. I'd love to see a movie about a Green Lantern who is an artist, very creative yet unsure of himself, or an elder statesman Green Lantern who balances his superhero duties with running a huge company that employs thousands of people and keeps a city informed, or a Green Lantern with anger management issues, trying hard to be a good guy but screwing up a lot.

Hal Jordan is simultaneously bland and a cocky prick.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

tsob posted:

So they did. For some reason I thought they gave it to the collector. Must be getting it mixed up with Avengers or something. It still seems rather a radical shift, but it's possible regardless.

Thor's crew gave the one from The Dark World to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gaz-L posted:

gently caress it, make Iron Fist about that one lady Iron Fist from China who blew battleships up with chi-arrows. It can be a period piece and she can be after the McGuffin from Defenders. If you're going to be totally impractical, go the whole hog.

Nah, if you're doing that go with the strategist guy who was best buddies with the Brahman Avatar. Or Orson Randall. Orson Randall you could do some sweet Indiana Jones poo poo with and then pass it on to Danny without even having to show Danny's backstory.