Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

Three quarts of Castrol full synthetic. What happens when you spill one?

You need at least a gallon of Rotella T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

Three quarts of Castrol full synthetic. What happens when you spill one?

Is this some kind of CA Voight-Kampf test?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is this some kind of CA Voight-Kampf test?

"Three quarts of Castrol full synthetic. What happens when you spill one?"
"What's a quart?"
"It's like a liter."

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

"Three quarts of Castrol full synthetic. What happens when you spill one?"
"What's a quart?"
"It's like a liter."

HE'S AN ANDROIDNONAMERICAN, RETIRE HIM!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Unabiker radiator guards, 5.7kilo spring, and greased the linkages.

Found out it was missing a thrust washer on the shock end, thanks PO.....

should I just start a loving drz thread? :v:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So I went to install the crank the rest of the way

And discovered a problem.

This is as far in as the crank and front carrier will go. Anyone notice the problem?
Yes, the crank is about a quarter of an inch too long for the case. It's not a problem with either carrier, it's the crank and the case. Unbeknownst to me until now, they made 3 different cases for that generation of BMWs. They all look precisely identical, you can't tell them apart without measuring tools. But they're not interchangeable. So now I need to find out how to determine what model crank I have and then buy a new case of the correct model to fit it and start all over. Oh well?

Moved on to some of the other parts.

Putting the heads together.

$80 worth of parts.

And my other project, trying to make my own fiberglass panniers for the bike. I'm still on step 1, basically, after like months of dicking with it. Trying to make a plug to make a mold from. It's been stunning to me how hard it is to carve foam to fit this complex shape. What are you supposed to do if you're a pro fiberglasser guy, smoosh 20lbs of play-doh on it? This is me spraying the bike with soapy cleaning poo poo and then pushing the foam plug onto it to see where the soap rubs off so i can trim down that area.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Put the fender back on.

I can't remember why I took it off, but when I hit my first tiny little puddle I was instantly educated as to why they put fenders on bikes. This should help a lot since we got about a foot of rain in the last few days.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
decided it was totally cool to ride over to explore a nearby superfund site that i havent been by in years while everyone else was glued to watching football. looks there's been a lot of clean up in the time since but it still certainly appears like ur in Fallout 3.

Put 7,000mi on the '87 Honda XL250R this year since April (when it was reg'd with only 645 original mi) - definitely gonna keep the XL because why the hell wouldn't I but also seriously planning on getting a SV650 during the off season/tax season.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/r1/npl_pad.nsf/f52fa5c31fa8f5c885256adc0050b631/E334FFF032CEE1E78525691F0063F6D0?OpenDocument

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 26, 2015

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I ticked over 50,000mi. That means I've put an rear end TON of miles on the bike; I'm pretty sure I got it at 17,000.

I had another go at cleaning up the wiring. I decided to say screw it and just ordered stuff to re-loom the thing.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I washed my let it rain on my ride today.

Sorry bike, one day I'll actually clean you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
All natural rain-kissed bike washes four lyfe.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I ticked over 50,000mi. That means I've put an rear end TON of miles on the bike; I'm pretty sure I got it at 17,000.

What bike do you have, again?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Found two missing O-rings on a 5000 km (~3000mi) old chain.

It's been cleaned and lubed with Motul products every 1000 km or so and never seen anything more abrasive than a toothbrush.

My last chain only lasted 18000 km before it had dropped three o-rings with stiff links as result. Am I doing something wrong or does RK chains just suck enormous amounts of rear end?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Fixed a vacuum leak on the Fireblade and mostly eliminated my hanging idle/slow rev drop problem. Still probably have to sync the carbs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

makka-setan posted:

Found two missing O-rings on a 5000 km (~3000mi) old chain.

It's been cleaned and lubed with Motul products every 1000 km or so and never seen anything more abrasive than a toothbrush.

My last chain only lasted 18000 km before it had dropped three o-rings with stiff links as result. Am I doing something wrong or does RK chains just suck enormous amounts of rear end?

I haven't had positive results with them either. I have an RK on the hyoshit and a DID on the hornet and despite having a quarter of the power of the Honda, the 250 has heaps of tight spots after 10,000km commuting rain or shine.

Also, the 650 has a non-o-ring chain on it. PO's :allears:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
One of the garbage 900RRs I bought had a farm implement chain on it with a master link from a 530 chain attached via a couple cotter pins.

"It works good and it's tough as poo poo but I have to keep adjusting it."

Hmmm, I wonder why?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Coydog posted:

What bike do you have, again?

'01 Bandit I picked up in 2012? 2011? I guess that's not all that many miles for 4 years. Oh wait, I wasn't able to ride for 20 months of that. Yeah, that's a lot of miles.

edit: May 2011. 33 months riding, 33,000 miles. Averaging 1000 miles/month for 4 years. Not too bad.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 27, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Put handguards on The Nerd Machine.

Dang OEM hand guards have been backordered for 3 months and they came in today.

EDIT: Today my new seat comes in!

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 27, 2015

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Dumped it hard at low speed :( Cold tires + grabbed too much throttle = Bad time.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Voltage posted:

Dumped it hard at low speed :( Cold tires + grabbed too much throttle = Bad time.

Yeah, it happens. As long as you're OK and you have a better idea what not to do next time, it's not the end of the world.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Corbin seat came in!

The 30 seconds I spent on it, it seems to ride higher than the stock seat, so a readjustment of the suspension might follow, but i'm out of town from Thursday to next thursday, so i probably won't bother until then.

Voltage: I remember my first couple weeks, I came really close to dumping it at low speed a few times. Just don't be like me and dump it because you left a disc brake lock on.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I rode it -- for the first time ever! Holy crap, this motorcycling business is fun. Logged 3.8 miles before the rain started. Most of those miles were in a parking lot, but still drat good fun. I'm immediately seeing the value in 'look where you want to go' from the start.

Also, I'm buying new bar end mirrors. gently caress the Bonneville stock mirrors. They can die in a fire.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Test rode an RD350 we'd just fixed up after sitting for like 8 years. Bone stock. Weighs about as much as a 125 dirt bike and pulls throttle wheelies in 1st and second gear. One of the greatest bikes ever made. Wish I had one.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I hit a new land speed record (for my DRZ) of 107 indicated before hitting the limiter.

Yay, cams!

e: Motor has over 20kmi on it and I haven't even Chichevache'd it yet.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Finally got the ST90 all together. Sandblasted the exhaust late last week and painted the parts over the weekend. Way too thick, but who cares. Carb didn't sit far enough back to meet the intake boot so had to cut a spacer from an old counter-top we had laying around. Went to install the new rear turn signals and found the bracket on the left side torn off. I forgot that the reason we forgot this thing in the shed in the first place was I got hit by a pickup while riding it back in 2000 (my fault) which messed up the left side of the bike a bit. I guess I'll try to learn to weld a bit and fix the bracket, but thats for the future.

Went to put oil in it this afternoon and it took nearly a whole quart and still didn't show any on the dipstick I though that was odd for a 90cc, but was more concerned with checking the electrics. I wheeled it into the garage to hook it up to a tender and got the new battery situated and charging. Then I noticed the puddle. looked under the bike and lo and behold my damned brother had cannibalized the oil plug or at least pulled it and never put it back. He's stupid and I'm really stupid for not checking earlier.

Another trip to the hardware store tomorrow and a carb tune and hopefully the ST90 will finally live again! I'll take some pictures too. Camera I borrowed over the weekend was garbage. 20 pictures and not one was usable.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 28, 2015

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

-Zydeco- posted:

Another trip to the hardware store tomorrow

Let me be honest with you, I love this sentence most of all, because there's nothing more satisfying than getting parts to fix your two-wheeled motor vehicle from a hardware/home improvement store.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Test rode an RD350 we'd just fixed up after sitting for like 8 years. Bone stock. Weighs about as much as a 125 dirt bike and pulls throttle wheelies in 1st and second gear. One of the greatest bikes ever made. Wish I had one.

And people ask why I'm rock hard about them. Its one of the coolest bikes ever made.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

N is for Nipples posted:

Let me be honest with you, I love this sentence most of all, because there's nothing more satisfying than getting parts to fix your two-wheeled motor vehicle from a hardware/home improvement store.

I just replaced three engine mount bolts that had rattled off during my last ride with stock from the hardware store. In fact, quite a bit of the non-specific hardware on my bike is from there.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

It lives!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjjG0F1nLqI

Throttle side grip is slipping so I have it removed, it's leaking oil from the clutch adjustment screw thingamajig on the right side, I can't correctly tune a carb to save my life, but it runs and is (mostly ) complete again.

Is there a nice succinct carburetor tuning guide out there?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

-Zydeco- posted:

If it's all stock, just follow the service manual. If it's a little gunked up and runs lean in spots, run a tank or two of seafoam treated fuel through it and run the piss out of it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

-Zydeco- posted:

I really like this: http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

While it's specific to Mikunis (don't know what's on your bike), the theory generally holds true for most (all?) carbs. It really helped me fix mine for altitude and solve richness issues real quick.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

While it's specific to Mikunis (don't know what's on your bike), the theory generally holds true for most (all?) carbs. It really helped me fix mine for altitude and solve richness issues real quick.

I got one of these which is some sort of common model for Honda's, but havent found a guide for it specifically.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

on that note, I found this helpful: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-bst-40-bible.347184/

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I hosed it up(over time, and PO helped.)

I went to adjust my chain today because its been loose lately. I've been really lazy about it and the chains 'bout due anyways. I go to adjust it and realize 8 of the 43 teeth are broken :gonk: This is an aluminum sprocket with 5k miles according to the PO, and about another 1.5k from me. It was pretty pointy and was due soon, with the chain, but holy crap. I had looked at the chain personally and even had a tire swap at a shop recently, all teeth were there. PO gave me the old sprockets too luckily, tossed the old 42t back on for now. New parts soon.

ALSO: I wrecked a rotor. I ran the rear pads to the bare metal and put big grooves on my rotor. When I got my tire done a couple weeks ago, I'm fairly certain the dude said my pads were about 30% so I figured I've got quite awhile. Nope. Front looks good at least. PO also left with me new set of pads for the bike so I tossed on the new rear pads. My excuse is I wear ear plugs and couldn't gear the grinding at all and it felt fine, until today. Very abrupt grabbing at slow speed breaking.

I cleaned the front sprocket area with some kerosene too. What a drat mess in there. Kerosene did wonders and just melted away the goopy residue.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I thought I was bad for letting my aluminum sprocket get shark toothed! I also replaced rear pads for the first time in my 3 year motorcycling career the other day. Woot! Yay for selling bikes before I put enough miles on them to do maintenance.

Other biek chat: recently moved out of the suburbs and into Houston (Sugar Land to Heights). The road to/from the apartment is terrible and I live basically off of an old rail yard. My supermoto couldn't come soon enough!!!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Changed the oil, cleaned and waxed the chain, did it in under an hour, so my time is improving!

I've been using chain wax and I'm really loving it. It's super easy to clean, it's not sticky when it dries, and it seems to work really well. Also super happy with my swanky gold chain. It's been on my bike about 5 months (or 4000 miles or so) and it's not stretched too noticeably. I haven't had to adjust it yet, which says good things about it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What's the practical difference between wax and lube? I was thinking about getting some if I need to winter one of my bikes outside on the basis it might give better rust protection, but that's a completely unsubstantiated assumption.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

What's the practical difference between wax and lube? I was thinking about getting some if I need to winter one of my bikes outside on the basis it might give better rust protection, but that's a completely unsubstantiated assumption.

Wax is sticky, lube is oily. I didn't have very good experience with wax because it attracted so much grime. It'll vary with brand of wax and road conditions I guess. I'm still sold on PTFE sprays. I bought the cheapest chain I could find, I believe this is the US market version of it: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/47382/i/moose-racing-520-fb-chain PTFE lube and occasional wipe downs, it's still perfectly servicable 36 000 km later.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just wipe down whatever you want protected with an oily rag. Cleans off way easier than wax-based stuff.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
The stuff I use is the Dupont wax-based chain lube. Yellow can. I've tried a bunch of oil-based ones, and this is my favorite so far. It doesn't have any buildup or fling on the chain -- it's not even really noticeable when it's on, and it doesn't attract grime at all. I'd ridden about 1500 miles or more since my last cleaning and it was only a little dark. The previous oily stuff was usually filthy within a week.

But really, you're protecting the chain from water and wear, so if you clean it regularly and keep it lubed with something, that's going to be the important thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Dupont makes a bike specific one that's almost identical to the yellow can. Comes in a blue can.