Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

So yeah, based on that description alone you can guess he has a lot of interesting fanart.

I mean some of its actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfjdB7kaoxs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dragonwagon posted:

crepes

creeps

It's not this.

Glukeose posted:

Too, toriel. Tutorial. That dog cow thing is the tutorial person in the game I think.

It's this.

Sans just realized his girlfriend has a pun for a name.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Little off topic but what do you know about Alex Ross's taste and weaknesses? I never really considered he wouldn't Draw anything.

His body of work showcases an extremely high fondness for late Silver/Bronze Age characters and design. He rarely draws anything outside of that wheelhouse that isn't an original character design to him. Nothing wrong with that, just saying with those kinds of professional preferences seeing garbage shonen like DBZ positioned as kicking the asses of the World's Finest might not sit well especially when done in his style.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mind the walrus posted:

seeing garbage shonen like DBZ positioned as kicking the asses of the World's Finest might not sit well especially when done in his style.

:goonsay:

Oh no. Not the honor of the Silver Age!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh wow did you think I was offering my opinion and not speaking for speculation on his opinion.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Posted last page dummy

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
From the Refurb thread in Pet Island. Might be my new favorite fanart.

Golden-i posted:

Nailed it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1s71x--geI

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I was searching for something totally unrelated and got this. I don't know who the robot is so maybe someone can enlighten me

e2: found an even larger version

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Oct 29, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Thin Privilege posted:

I was searching for something totally unrelated and got this. I don't know who the robot is so maybe someone can enlighten me

That's his Stand, 「PROPANE NIGHTMARE」

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-njtZmmUw4

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Tarezax posted:

That's his Stand, PROPANE NIGHTMARE

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-njtZmmUw4

What's a stand? It appears this has to do with some anime?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thin Privilege posted:

It's in the thread name, dog. Jojo, yo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is exactly why the thread needs more than "some" JoJos.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

It's in the thread name, dog. Jojo, yo.

I got that, but still doesn't explain what a stand is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a psychic ghost.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a psychic ghost.

Basically this, but more specifically, it's a projection that some people in Jojo have, usually human-shaped but not always, and they tend to have very specific superpowers and can only be seen by other people who have them.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Thin Privilege posted:

Basically every superpower in Jojo works like a RPG summon and has a personification with a name. It is very easy to come up with fan stands and thus they are a source of a lot of fanart.

mycot has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Oct 29, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

It's the best anime, King of the Hill.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

mycot posted:

Basically every superpower in Jojo works like a RPG summon and has a personification with a name. It is very easy to come up with fan stands and thus they are a source of a lot of fanart.

god drat

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thin Privilege posted:

e2: found an even larger version

Okay I have never watched Jojo but every piece of fanart I've seen for it has been amazing, should I watch it and if so what episode/series/saga/whatever should I start with?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay I have never watched Jojo but every piece of fanart I've seen for it has been amazing, should I watch it and if so what episode/series/saga/whatever should I start with?

All of the Jojo anime is available on Crunchyroll. I suggest you just start from the beginning.

Stands don't appear until Part 3, Stardust Crusaders.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Jojo fan here.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Start from the start of the anime and watch onwards. It's a bit slow to get going, and if you get sick of the first part start season 2, which is a lot nuttier.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tarezax posted:

All of the Jojo anime is available on Crunchyroll. I suggest you just start from the beginning.

Stands don't appear until Part 3, Stardust Crusaders.

chaos rhames posted:

Start from the start of the anime and watch onwards. It's a bit slow to get going, and if you get sick of the first part start season 2, which is a lot nuttier.

Great, I'll start at the beginning. Just making sure it wasn't one of those Animes where each season is a totally different kind of story and season 1 or 2 may be terrible but season 4 is amazing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean, you can start with Season 3 and work your way back and you're fine. That's how I did it, because I found Season 1 a bit slow when I tried to start at the beginning. Each season is a different timeline that is self-contained, following a main character who is always someone from the Joestar blood-line, with a name that can be turned into the nickname alliteration Jojo (Joseph Joestar, Kujo Jotaro, etc). So, while it helps to know stuff from the previous seasons, it's not actually required to to enjoy each season on its own.

Season 3 is called "Stardust Crusaders" and is the most popular and well-known of the Jojo timelines, which sorta launched the direction for the whole rest of the series. So, if you do get bored with the earlier stuff, that's as good a place as any to begin.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Oct 29, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
You should watch the first two arcs anyways because the first arc, Phantom Blood, is like 5 episodes or some poo poo like that and you can knock it out in an afternoon, and the second arc, Battle Tendency is fantastic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mind the walrus posted:

Oh wow did you think I was offering my opinion and not speaking for speculation on his opinion.

My bad. Everybody pretend I'm going along with the joke now and making fun of whatever hypothetical goober would earnestly say such a thing.

Great, I'll start at the beginning. Just making sure it wasn't one of those Animes where each season is a totally different kind of story and season 1 or 2 may be terrible but season 4 is amazing.

Well, I wouldn't call such a characterization totally off-base either....

It's all one over-arching narrative but each part is very different, and that's especially true for parts 1-3. Stands become more-or-less ....standard(sorry) from 3 onwards but 1+2 have a totally different combat mechanic that is never really relevant to the series again. Incidentally, the anime's gotten up through part 3 so far and Araki's on manga part 8 ATM.

Part 1 is definitely my least favorite, and I would argue that most fans that I know probably feel that way too. It's also the shortest, tho.

ADTRW has two parallel threads dedicated to the series (one's anime-only cuz spoilers and poo poo). Both were really helpful when I was trying to get into it and I recommend them both to you as a good intro to this weird, weird, great thing.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Definitely watch Part 1 before Part 3, because it will help you to get hype for the final fight of Part 3.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

It kind of is. Different, I mean, not terrible. Particularly the first couple episodes of Part 1 when you could be forgiven for thinking you'd accidentally tuned into an anime muscle man adaptation of a Charles Dickens novel. They're all amazing in their own way, though. Part 2 is my personal favorite, it's just really off-beat compared to the more formulaic Stardust Crusaders. It's interesting to see what JoJo does with the formula, though, because it's one of those things that's so old that it actually invented (or at least codified) the formula in the first place, and does some interesting an unexpected things with it as a result.

Oh and make sure you watch the 2012 TV series, not the 1993 OVA.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Also, the first 2 seasons use Roundabout by Yes as the end credits music and it is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKr46XveL6w

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is that Paul Ryan.

Because that looks like Paul Ryan.

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

FPzero posted:

Is that Paul Ryan.

Because that looks like Paul Ryan.

Would make sense, given that's clearly Ayn Rand feeling him up.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

WeeabooJudas posted:

Would make sense, given that's clearly Ayn Rand feeling him up.

But what do rabbit trains have to do with Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The old rabbit meme used to say I have no idea what you're talking about... so here's a rabbit with a pancake on its head so I guess it's relevant there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Someone post the Paul Ryan jerking it to rand cartoon

• Locked thread