Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekma
Apr 27, 2006

Got over the hump as a second circle swordie and changed to Barbarian. Holy poo poo do I deal more damage now. Now if I could only afford to upgrade my weapon properly..

Whetever it was worth it to go 2nd circle swordie over highlander, I dunno. Cartar strike looks great and +5 in gung-ho & conc isn't too great. That being said, being a barb I don't know if I'd use Cartar strike over Helm Chopper & Cleave. Hitting a stun with helm chopper leads to a 2k+ hit with cleave at lvl 52 or so.

Anyway, suddenly I've caught up in levels and I'm going forward again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Squire sounds dumb as hell and I want it, it sounds like a support farming class.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

So if any of you are having performance problems you can try forcing the game into fullscreen instead of borderless fullscreen by editing this:

Steam > steamapps > common > TreeOfSavior > release
inside that folder look for an XML file called: user
and open it with note pad, inside the note pad change the setting: <Resolution mode="1" to 0

Despite having a really good computer (sli 980s, i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz) the game still ran like poo poo with a lot of people on the screen. After doing this the game was consistently at 55-60 on max instead of dipping into the 30s and 40s sometimes. You can't alt tab anymore but if you have dual monitors it doesn't really matter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anyone have thoughts on going c1 pelt > c2 hoplite vs. c3 pelt? I'm close to circle 3 and have no idea. Probably hop since pelt still takes forever on bosses?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am very jealous of a pelt I saw grab most of the mobs in a room and drag them to their selves

then I laughed my rear end off since they couldn't kill them without help

I want to do a pelt for grinding or boss runs but I also do not want to do grinding or boss runs

Hoplite just looks more fun, but you should get both so you can throw your spear and shield and have no weapons for like 12 seconds.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going Wiz > Wiz > Pachinko and I'm at the second circle having to chug potions like a madman. DPS seems so-so, but the mana to damage ratio isn't so hot. Spirit doesn't feel like it's actually doing anything either. Scratches that RO itch.

Echoing that bosses have far too much health while soloing. All the more reason to do parties and wait around while the servers unfuck themselves.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Bosses are really wildly inconsistent for me. On my Cleric/Krivis if I ever got a boss that was weak to Magic, Holy, or especially Lightning it would get absolutely obliterated, but otherwise past the late 40's it's just been a pretty boring matter of slugging it out.

Problem is further exacerbated by bizarre fluctuations in the zone levels that the main story guides you through. There's a spike at the end of Tenet chapel, then the zone levels go back down, then you proceed through some other outdoor areas and complete a level 64 zone before you get put into a level 58 zone, and the boss levels match the zones.

The fact that they all seem to dump traps periodically as a rule is also pretty underwhelming design. Most of the time I don't know what the traps are even doing, and it's pretty weird to see every boss using traps.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I'm going Wiz > Wiz > Pachinko and I'm at the second circle having to chug potions like a madman. DPS seems so-so, but the mana to damage ratio isn't so hot. Spirit doesn't feel like it's actually doing anything either. Scratches that RO itch.

Echoing that bosses have far too much health while soloing. All the more reason to do parties and wait around while the servers unfuck themselves.
I did wiz>cryo with 100% of stat points going to int and through the mines I just chugged 1-3 mp potions per boss. It's not that bad. And that's with also using Earthquake 3 and Energy Bolt 3 still.

Spirit is pretty underwhelming to me.

If you want to get really frisky, save your xp cards and eat them during bossfights so you get mana from level up instead of drinking potions. I currently have a stack of 32 level 2 xp cards I'm using just this way. When I remember to anyway.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Quarrelshot is an interesting class. It does less damage then the archer but in exchange you can be a bit more tanky with a off hand shield. Archer perks still work well with it and I feel like once I unlock caltrops I can start mobbing things. I'm still not sure about the skill that increases movement while attacking. I have 2 points into it and there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. Oblique shot is fun but I wish it would bounce off more then just 2 targets.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Oblique shot is the archer's best AOE skill that isn't barrage.

Revolver Bunker posted:

Quarrelshot is an interesting class. It does less damage then the archer but in exchange you can be a bit more tanky with a off hand shield. Archer perks still work well with it and I feel like once I unlock caltrops I can start mobbing things. I'm still not sure about the skill that increases movement while attacking. I have 2 points into it and there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. Oblique shot is fun but I wish it would bounce off more then just 2 targets.

Movement speed is really unnoticeable. The base movement speed is only 30, lvl 5 of that perk brings it to 31.5 ish. Maybe its strafe speed? it really does seem useless.

I want more bosses with jumping strats and height differences. Playing island control against that one island boss was the most fun i've had so far.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I like weird magic/physical builds; what would be the best fit for me in this? it sounds like I would probably want something cleric-based...

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

scaterry posted:

Oblique shot is the archer's best AOE skill that isn't barrage.

Movement speed is really unnoticeable. The base movement speed is only 30, lvl 5 of that perk brings it to 31.5 ish. Maybe its strafe speed? it really does seem useless.

I want more bosses with jumping strats and height differences. Playing island control against that one island boss was the most fun i've had so far.

I'm looking forward to being able to duel weild a crossbow and pistol. But that's rank 6. :negative:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Kylra posted:

If you want to get really frisky, save your xp cards and eat them during bossfights so you get mana from level up instead of drinking potions. I currently have a stack of 32 level 2 xp cards I'm using just this way. When I remember to anyway.

Huh, I didn't think about using those during boss fights. I gotta try that.

Also I just figured out that you can cast and walk for a good number of spells. That's a game changer. Casters are a hell of a lot more mobile in this especially when you add bunny-hops to normal attacks.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

PSA. I am a highlander, can confirm

Cartar stroke is a gift from god

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I really want to be a fencer, because holy poo poo that sprite. I just assumed Peltast would be a better c2 than Highlander for it. Did I make a huge mistake? poo poo.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
can someone explain to me how armor penetration works?
I bought the one handed cross bow attribute that ignores 5% per attribute of armor on hit but i don't see a difference.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mayor McCheese posted:

Huh, I didn't think about using those during boss fights. I gotta try that.

Also I just figured out that you can cast and walk for a good number of spells. That's a game changer. Casters are a hell of a lot more mobile in this especially when you add bunny-hops to normal attacks.
Normal attack vs boss: 10-13 damage
Energy bolt 3 against a boss: 40-60 or so

Just drink your potions and eat your cards to burn things down with skills.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm loving how dense with monsters some of these maps are, it's really satisfying gathering a bunch of monsters up and exploding them

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Red Red Blue posted:

I'm loving how dense with monsters some of these maps are, it's really satisfying gathering a bunch of monsters up and exploding them

how to power level as ranger
1) skill barrage
2) pull all the monster
3) Press barrage
4) so satisifying

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Scoss posted:

The fact that they all seem to dump traps periodically as a rule is also pretty underwhelming design. Most of the time I don't know what the traps are even doing, and it's pretty weird to see every boss using traps.

Originally bosses didnt have traps, they were added to increase the challenge of the fights because people have been saying the bosses are too easy. And its true, they are. Its more like randomized attributes like elite packs in arpgs.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

scaterry posted:

how to power level as ranger
1) skill barrage
2) pull all the monster
3) Press barrage
4) so satisifying

Barrage is so good. I changed to Ranger when I was going through the mines and encountered the couple areas with the Ralflowers just blocking everything. Not anymore. :getin:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
C2 Pyro is so much fun; Flame Ground and Fire Pillar and bosses drop almost instantly

I'm still not seeing how Flare works; does a mob need to be burning for it to trigger? I thought Fireball did that innately but it does not trigger Flare.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

You have to look at it and push the button.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kylra posted:

You have to look at it and push the button.

I have been and the only thing that happens is my guy does a pose; no damage.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kylra posted:

That feel when your earthquake leaves a bunch of mobs your level at .5% hp.

Also I am liking the EYE SPIKE spell.

Also also, I think I figured out what the deal was with the damage numbers. Magic damage doesn't show up on the skill pane, but it does increase when you hit stuff. It seems like it might just straight up add your magic damage to skill damage. Anyone know if the enhance attributes apply to the magic damage bonus (from int/weapons)?

Pretty sure the skill pane UI is bugged out. It also shows numbers going down when you add points, but then they go up when you hit 'accept' :iiam:

Also for my wizard friends, a few pro tips:

- For multi-hit skills like earthquake and energy bolt, you might see different pairs of numbers, but they will always add up to the same total amount of damage every time.
- Spirit is still hot garbage and I'm of the opinion that it's probably not at all worth putting points in to until much later (level 50 maybe?). The amount of SP gained by putting even 10 points in to SP is horrific.
- Haven't looked at current ICBT, but in the last one, the enhance attributes were a flat bonus on top of your total damage for that spell. For example, if your Energy Bolt used to hit for 100 damage, and you have 10 ranks of enhance Energy Bolt, your Energy Bolt would do 110 damage.
- Spells can't miss, and they can't crit.
- Use auto attacks while jumping. It prevents you from being locked in place when casting and let's you clear just about everything up to level 40+ without being hit.
- Energy Bolt can be cast while moving, but not jumping. You also don't need to charge it all the way up, you can do a half cast if you're about to get hit or need to move quickly.
- Get a level 15 2-handed weapon with the highest MATK you can find and improve it with an anvil, and socket it with a couple upgraded blue gems. It'll easily last you until level 40 when new staves become available.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rafzakael posted:

I have been and the only thing that happens is my guy does a pose; no damage.
Oh, I missed the part where you asked if they had to be burning.

Yes, they have to be burning too.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

rizzen posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I really want to be a fencer, because holy poo poo that sprite. I just assumed Peltast would be a better c2 than Highlander for it. Did I make a huge mistake? poo poo.

It's ok it's just a beta

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Pelt is fine for Fencer, the evasion attribute is really nice and having a taunt gives you some good utility. Not like you're hurting for damage options with Fencer. Highlander would definitely level faster though.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

rizzen posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nah, could pick up barbarian or a circle in highlander. Peltasta is great too, its just you decide to go either offense or defense. Peltasta makes a lot of sense for Hoplite, but I like to see unconventional things working. And what others said, evasion sounds suitable for fencer~ Riposte~

I might wager that Highlander's Cartar Stroke could foresee a potential nerf in the future because it's just really obscene. I've been putting points into Str and Dex for crits and upgrading a store bought 2h sword to +5 and a 5 charged Cartar is ridiculous on that.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 28, 2015

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Around what character level do you hit class level 15 on your second class? I wanna know how much longer I have to throw snowballs at mobs before I can start snapping their necks with psychic powers :black101:

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011

LightningSquid posted:

Around what character level do you hit class level 15 on your second class? I wanna know how much longer I have to throw snowballs at mobs before I can start snapping their necks with psychic powers :black101:

41-42

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
how ridiculous would it be to make a str cleric to become a paladin eventually and just beat things to death with a club? plate class + defense bonus seem like it would make a decent tank

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Ninkobei posted:

how ridiculous would it be to make a str cleric to become a paladin eventually and just beat things to death with a club? plate class + defense bonus seem like it would make a decent tank

It's pretty much exactly what I'm doing, though I've hybridized a little bit with some int and It's probably not ideal. I think you basically have to be a strength cleric if you want to become a Monk or Paladin.

If it's anything like actual Ragnarok by the time I become a Paladin the inefficiency of not being pure strength will wind up destroying my character and forcing me to reroll.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Ninkobei posted:

Right now you can get a stat or skill reset scroll for 5 icoins from the potion NPC. You can get icoins by talking to the achievement NPC on the east side of the goddess statue in Klaipeda (sorry I can't remember/spell correctly.) You don't have to level as full STR and it would probably cause less of a headache if you just went INT then reset into STR later on.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Got to 45, main quest bugged and remains bugged even after logging out and back in. I got the testing I wanted to out of this, but boy this game is a lot of fun. Can't wait for launch

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

is this the sort of closed beta there are keys/extra accounts floating around for? I'd be grateful for one if so. :sweatdrop:

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

_jink posted:

is this the sort of closed beta there are keys/extra accounts floating around for? I'd be grateful for one if so. :sweatdrop:

I think a guy named drinkfist on slack has an extra key.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Rafzakael posted:

Got to 45, main quest bugged and remains bugged even after logging out and back in. I got the testing I wanted to out of this, but boy this game is a lot of fun. Can't wait for launch

Try abandoning the quest, F5 opens the quest log

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pyromancer owns really hard

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well this game is pretty sick. Anyone else getting insane amounts of lag though? Like I talk to a guy and a minute later the dialog pops up, thank god all the combat is client side at least. It feels pretty amazing to just hit things in this game, they REALLY nailed the hit effects and combat feel.

Gamepad support wise, what is supposed to be the button to actually click things in UI mode? Nothing I push seems to do anything, but everything else with the pad seems to work fine. I'm using a DS4 for what that's worth, emulating 360 controller. Is there a gamepad shortcut to zoom in/out?

I haven't looked at any of the classes yet, is there any class centered around smashing things with hammers or anything like that? Bighuge weapon strikes and all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I played this beta just enough to realize that it truly is Ragnarok Online 2, and they can't possibly gently caress it up at this point.

Pirate gangs, man.

• Locked thread