Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

spectralent posted:

I'm taking the lesson here as "Don't use solar tutoring charms because you're just pointlessly pissing XP away for a narrative effect unless it's in-circle, and if it is it's probably still not great".
Unless everybody in the circle takes the charm and trains everybody else in which case you're getting more out of your XP. (or if you roll lucky with Tireless Learner Method coming out net positive.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure in Story 2 you'd just roll 15 dice? Like, you only roll up to the amount of XP you have committed currently

That's not what it says - it just says "At the end of each story, the Solar may roll a number of dice equal to experience points spent on this Charm". XP spent over your character's entire lifetime but not already recouped would certainly be workable, but it's a much more finnicky and complex idea than just XP spent this story. Remember, even if you only ever get one shot to recoup each individual experience point, you could still effectively be giving your circlemates extra traits at a fraction of their real costs, two loremasters with this charm could be teaching each other and on-average doubling their XP input, etc, and then this charm is followed immediately by another whose only purpose is to give you extra XP over what a normal character would receive.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Roadie posted:

The approach I like, inspired a bit by EarthScorpion's styles stuff, is to remove Martial Arts as an Ability altogether, have MA Charms use whatever Abilities are most relevant, and have a merit per style that unlocks those Charms but also gives a secondary benefit or benefits that mortals can get too.

Then you can have mortal "supernatural martial artists" that have the one or two merit-granted abilities of the style but you don't have to worry about wedging Charms into a mortal charsheet, and a Solar who only ever gets a single MA isn't stuck with a major XP tax just because MA styles are flexible.

I like this idea in principle but I think it'd be hard to draw a line between Charm-like Merit effects and actual MA Charms such that the benefits weren't either way outsized for mortals or still an aggravating tax for the Exalted.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

I'm taking the lesson here as "Don't use solar tutoring charms because you're just pointlessly pissing XP away for a narrative effect unless it's in-circle, and if it is it's probably still not great".

It does have other effects (like, the people you teach also gain intimacies that you want them to gain).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Bedlamdan posted:

It does have other effects (like, the people you teach also gain intimacies that you want them to gain).

Yeah but this is the edition where giving someone a horseshoe is meant to have intimacy effects.

Ferrinus posted:

That's not what it says - it just says "At the end of each story, the Solar may roll a number of dice equal to experience points spent on this Charm". XP spent over your character's entire lifetime but not already recouped would certainly be workable, but it's a much more finnicky and complex idea than just XP spent this story. Remember, even if you only ever get one shot to recoup each individual experience point, you could still effectively be giving your circlemates extra traits at a fraction of their real costs, two loremasters with this charm could be teaching each other and on-average doubling their XP input, etc, and then this charm is followed immediately by another whose only purpose is to give you extra XP over what a normal character would receive.

How do you give people traits for lower cost? That might actually be useful.

Zereth posted:

Unless everybody in the circle takes the charm and trains everybody else in which case you're getting more out of your XP. (or if you roll lucky with Tireless Learner Method coming out net positive.)

"Lastly, the Solar cannot
benefit from this or any other experience-granting training Charm in the same story in which she uses it to benefit
someone else."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

That seems like a dumb way for it to be intended to work.

But isn't there stuff in Craft whose only purpose is to generate large piles of real XP? So maybe that is what was intended?

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

As the most sophisticated player in my one Ex3 game, the task naturally fell to me to play the Twilight. I didn't mind the Fact Introduction rules - in fact it made a lot of sense to me, as a logical way to let players without the sourcebooks meaningfully portray wise scholars without having to deal with know-it-all bookreaders. That said: I never rolled Lore in the half-dozen or so sessions.

How does the Lore system for fact introduction work, then, if you never rolled for it? In that case it's just player and GM negotiation. Which I am fine with. It's adding rolling for it that I don't follow, unless it's judging degrees of accuracy of a fact, which isn't what the system describes.

Do you have some examples?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Echo Cian posted:

How does the Lore system for fact introduction work, then, if you never rolled for it? In that case it's just player and GM negotiation. Which I am fine with. It's adding rolling for it that I don't follow, unless it's judging degrees of accuracy of a fact, which isn't what the system describes.

I would probably go with what Ferrinus suggested, where fact introduction itself is a collaborative effort between player and ST (and maybe the ST introduces a twist or two behind the GM screen, just to keep some suspense), and Lore rolls determine how much tangible benefit you're able to wrangle out of this knowledge.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

Yeah but this is the edition where giving someone a horseshoe is meant to have intimacy effects.

Yes but the teaching charms can induce radical shifts in outlook and mindset whereas horseshoe giving is like, a minor intimacy at best.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

I like this idea in principle but I think it'd be hard to draw a line between Charm-like Merit effects and actual MA Charms such that the benefits weren't either way outsized for mortals or still an aggravating tax for the Exalted.

I think there's some stuff you could toss in there that'd be mechanically fine in terms of balance but still a useful minor buff to anyone. "You can use paper fans as war fans with the Improvised tag added" for Dreaming Pearl Courtesan or a minor soak bonus vs fire for Righteous Devil or whatever.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Echo Cian posted:

I mean I dont recall rolling Lore except to stop one guy in the midst of Wyld mutation with whatever that Charm is.

I would only allow Lore rolls to establish "Facts" in the narrow legal sense. More successes allow you to claim broader sets of related facts, or cite them to more reliable authorities. I wouldn't use it to establish actual reality, to whatever extent that can be said to exist, unless you were establishing multiple, mutually supporting facts (all Baratheons known to history have black hair) leading to some conclusion (the Prince is the issue of adultery). You can't claim the latter, maybe not at all even, without at least establishing its premises - both in terms of "breadth" (all known histories) and "depth" (all known Baratheons).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I made a poll thing while thinking about this mechanics stuff. Feel free to vote, or not. I will continue to :derp: about homebrew mechanics thoughts in any case.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Roadie posted:

So I made a poll thing while thinking about this mechanics stuff. Feel free to vote, or not. I will continue to :derp: about homebrew mechanics thoughts in any case.

I don't see an option for "I like the mundane uses of Abilities, and wish they were more comprehensive, possibly taking some of Charms' existing designspace".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I don't see an option for "I like the mundane uses of Abilities, and wish they were more comprehensive, possibly taking some of Charms' existing designspace".

That is a good option and I will keep in mind for the future.

Any thoughts you have for things like that which you'd like to see?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's the difference between "in-setting elements" and "setting elements"?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zereth posted:

What's the difference between "in-setting elements" and "setting elements"?

I meant to put "narrative elements" for the latter but didn't realize it until after I'd already posted the poll. :v:

Edit: Also, one more poll, this one specifically about combat.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 29, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

spectralent posted:

How do you give people traits for lower cost? That might actually be useful.

What I mean is that since on average you recoup half the XP you spend on someone else's behalf, that charm effectively allows your circle of PCs to gain traits at double the usual rate. A player spends only 4 xp rather than 8, and yet a(nother) player gains a Charm.

quote:

"Lastly, the Solar cannot
benefit from this or any other experience-granting training Charm in the same story in which she uses it to benefit
someone else."

Time to play the long game.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I am insane. Here's something I cooked up for my players (but mostly for myself) because I was sick of insane situations where 12 people go on the same tick and wanted a way to resolve them. It also includes expanded resolution for decisive attacks to account for counterattack and clash charms.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ai9_P4rMWswUq0T8xNO7yGCw8vmQrznkwkw6ewALfik/edit?usp=sharing

let me know if you see any holes or potential problem points.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not sure if a character who gets crashed in the middle of their own action should actually be losing the benefits of any perilous charms they had going, unless those perilous charms specifically had "if you're crashed this switches off" clauses in their rules. After all, those charms got activated and paid for back when the character hadn't been crashed - if I paid 10m into an Excellency, and then you hit me with some kind of mana drain attack that sucked away the rest of my motes and left me at 0 before my attack resolved, my attack shouldn't lose accuracy.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not sure if a character who gets crashed in the middle of their own action should actually be losing the benefits of any perilous charms they had going, unless those perilous charms specifically had "if you're crashed this switches off" clauses in their rules. After all, those charms got activated and paid for back when the character hadn't been crashed - if I paid 10m into an Excellency, and then you hit me with some kind of mana drain attack that sucked away the rest of my motes and left me at 0 before my attack resolved, my attack shouldn't lose accuracy.

You're probably right, there. Another thing I really disliked doing is making up new terminology for decisive attacks but I really had to, for clarity's sake. It was impossible to discuss otherwise (try reading a shining point charm, I dare you.) There are also counterattack charms that activate after you've taken damage, But they should be easy to accommodate.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

How are ride/survival charms which refer to mount/familiar attributes and abilities meant to work? Like the Essence 4+ version of Wrathful Mount Invigoration. It puts a mount's base initiative at 4 or the mount's stamina, whichever is higher (to a max of six). But there seems to be no way to see the mount's stamina because they aren't given for animals, so I'm not sure how you'd know.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

team overhead smash posted:

How are ride/survival charms which refer to mount/familiar attributes and abilities meant to work? Like the Essence 4+ version of Wrathful Mount Invigoration. It puts a mount's base initiative at 4 or the mount's stamina, whichever is higher (to a max of six). But there seems to be no way to see the mount's stamina because they aren't given for animals, so I'm not sure how you'd know.

Some of the old books have full statistics for potential mounts, so you can use those if your GM's willing, and hopefully later supplements for 3E will provide it as well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/29/paradox-interactive-buys-vampire-the-masquerade-publisher-white-wolf-from-ccp/

HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT THE DRAGON BLOODED CRUSADER KINGS 2 IS HAPPENING

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
:dance:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

They talk a whole lot about the oWoD, and nothing about Exalted or nWoD. I hope that Onyx Path isn't left out in the cold.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

LeSquide posted:

They talk a whole lot about the oWoD, and nothing about Exalted or nWoD. I hope that Onyx Path isn't left out in the cold.

I don't think Paradox has any desire to publish RPG books.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Does anyone have a link to the statement they put out over the plagiarized art? Google is being useless

Ketrus
Oct 29, 2007

Stay the hell away from my circles.

LeSquide posted:

http://www.white-wolf.com/ posted:

Our goal is to centralize all aspects of the universe to manage it with the love and care it deserves. We’re now focusing on re-evaluating our business relationships to make sure we’re working with the best creators, developers and artists on the planet!

Looks like nothing is certain right now. The title graphic is "One World of Darkness", with "Our" and "This" in faded letters next to "One", which implies they're going to meddle quite a bit. Purchasing White Wolf in cash had to be quite the investment. Terminating a contract with The Onyx Path probably wouldn't compare in terms of expense. If the Onyx Path loses its license to publish Exalted 3e before the corebook is printed, I might actually laugh myself into tears, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ketrus posted:

Looks like nothing is certain right now. The title graphic is "One World of Darkness", with "Our" and "This" in faded letters next to "One", which implies they're going to meddle quite a bit. Purchasing White Wolf in cash had to be quite the investment. Terminating a contract with The Onyx Path probably wouldn't compare in terms of expense. If the Onyx Path loses its license to publish Exalted 3e before the corebook is printed, I might actually laugh myself into tears, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Id guess they are buying it for the IP and setting. It would be foolish for them to do anything that would impact the RPG, since that is generating free interest in the IP. Squashing the RPG would also cause backlash.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It would in fact be pretty stupid to turn off the thing that actually generates more intellectual property for your IP, and it would make all the people who already like that IP angry, but corporations do sometimes do stupid things, so people are going to worry until they know more.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Rose Bailey's apparently posted that they've been aware of the deal for some time, but can't talk anymore at the moment. I imagine that means things are probably going to be okay at least for current products, since if they've been aware of it for awhile, why launch a new kickstarter if there was a chance the license would be pulled?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

People should take Paradox's history and reputation into account while evaluating this. Their business model is based around publishing games from indie developers and giving them more or less free rein, with results that are sometimes amazing (Mount & Blade series) and sometimes horrific (Sword of the Stars 2). It seems really unlikely they're going to take these properties away from people who have been handling them for decades and hand them over to in-house or third-party developers.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I wonder if this means they will finally muzzle the developers and hire a PR rep. Just because a person is good at making a math system doesn't mean they are good at the talky.

I hope we get some new games too. A werewolf game done like soul reaver would be amazing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I wonder if this means they will finally muzzle the developers and hire a PR rep.

That's Onyx Path, not White Wolf.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I wonder if this means they will finally muzzle the developers and hire a PR rep.

With what?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Someday, we will have an Exalted/WoD crossover :3:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

I assume money. That is usually what you give people to do a thing.

Also isn't Onyx path owned by White Wolf and as such now owned by Paradox? As such they can put one public face out so that we avoid a doubling down on rape ghosts like Holden did.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Also isn't Onyx path owned by White Wolf and as such now owned by Paradox? As such they can put one public face out so that we avoid a doubling down on rape ghosts like Holden did.

Nope. Onyx Path is an independent company that licenses IP - oWoD, nWoD and Exalted, but not Scion or Trinity/Aberrant/Adventure which they own outright - from WW. White Wolf Publishing basically had no employees before they got bought by Paradox, essentially a shell to carry the WW IPs in.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I assume money. That is usually what you give people to do a thing.

Sorry, they don't have any of that. Not enough to pay an actual PR professional, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Hmmm, maybe that is what they are talking about by One World of Darkness then.

• Locked thread