Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Would help if the VOIP wasn't disabled by default, even for receiving chat (why)
The 1.01 patch turned it on by default, they realised that mistake very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The Horn of Magnus exploits don't even make sense.They are way harder than just holding at the top of the stairs, especially at the end of the event when you have to reach the elevator.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Buck Turgidson posted:

The Horn of Magnus exploits don't even make sense.They are way harder than just holding at the top of the stairs, especially at the end of the event when you have to reach the elevator.

The beam seemed pretty easy as long as you hang on to a couple bombs. Also I was really happy that the patch last night seemed to have some performance tweaks. Before the patch, the game stuttered like crazy in the tavern area on my rig. Fortunately it didn't happen in mission, but man it was brutal.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Rolled a 7/7 and got a red hat and by god its glorious.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Buck Turgidson posted:

Not at all? If they're doing the ammo box one 90% of the rats come from the other way, and the elevator grill comes down before the rubble does so you can actually even make it inside there before it even tells you to.

If they're doing the bottom of the horn one, it's pretty piss easy to stand in one spot and half-charge attack constantly, the only annoying thing about that one is if everyone's trying to move around and keeps pushing people. Makes the run to the elevator maaaaaybe a little harder, but don't need to watch your back for storm vermin appearing behind you, which is a pretty great trade.

I want them to stop being exploity dick bags of course as I'd rather play the game, but the methods are far easier than doing it legit.

Metos fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 29, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TwatHammer posted:

Rolled a 7/7 and got a red hat and by god its glorious.

you need a crazy hat to go with his mustache

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My greatest achievement in Vermintide thus far

:smug:

(also got some green dual pistols right afterwards)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm incredibly triggered by pictures of other peoples' non-white rapiers. I am a rapier-racist.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Night10194 posted:

I'm incredibly triggered by pictures of other peoples' non-white rapiers. I am a rapier-racist.

I have literally never had a rapier drop. I would kill for white rapiers so I could at least try to fuse one up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

xthetenth posted:

I have literally never had a rapier drop. I would kill for white rapiers so I could at least try to fuse one up.

This is my situations as well. And it's my favorite weapon, goddamnit.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I have an orange rapier that I have never used once, because I don't ever play Witch Hunter.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Metos posted:

Not at all? If they're doing the ammo box one 90% of the rats come from the other way, and the elevator grill comes down before the rubble does so you can actually even make it inside there before it even tells you to.

If they're doing the bottom of the horn one, it's pretty piss easy to stand in one spot and half-charge attack constantly, the only annoying thing about that one is if everyone's trying to move around and keeps pushing people. Makes the run to the elevator maaaaaybe a little harder, but don't need to watch your back for storm vermin appearing behind you, which is a pretty great trade.

I want them to stop being exploity dick bags of course as I'd rather play the game, but the methods are far easier than doing it legit.

You cannot be flanked at the top of the stairs under the wooden roof and the rats can only come from one direction. You have plenty of time to spot and kill the specials too. When it's time to leave you drop down twice and get in the lift, it takes 2 seconds. The whole thing is trivial to do without even taking damage (you can even do it solo if you're the "sacrifice"). The bottom of the horn is way worse, especially because you can't always see the specials. You can get gassed from out of sight and ratgunners can target you there through geometry. The run to the lift can be pretty bad. The ammo room is easier but I've seen people get pulled by packmasters through the wall of the ammo room, which makes things a bit awkward with 3 people. The real danger is that it's so boring that people will run out and get wiped anyway.

The exploiting just sucks in general though. I didn't get the game to avoid killing ratmen. People did the same poo poo in L4D on the Blood Harvest finale. You'd stand on a rock and wait for 10 minutes while nothing happened. Of course in that game there wasn't any loot, it was usually because someone was desperate to get the achievement or something. Just play the drat game!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vargs posted:

I have an orange rapier that I have never used once, because I don't ever play Witch Hunter.

You are missing out on a wonderful hat-and-fencing based adventure.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

This is my situations as well. And it's my favorite weapon, goddamnit.

Also, ask me about playing the soldier whenever possible and getting a sweet green handgun with master crafted... for the dwarf.

It's all right though, my soldier has a master crafted gun too! (It is a blunderbuss).

The dice hate me.

I have so many greens and some blues I would cheerfully trade for even the right things in white just to fuse.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It would be nice if some of the guns shared between characters, TF2's shotgun-style. I mean, the dwarf and the WH have crossbows and dwarf and soldier both have handguns. Plus everyone uses some kind of sword. Could make some that cross-class.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I really don't understand why people bother with exploits when every time I've played with pubbies who have just held off on the right side of the platform we've owned it and peaced out no worries. Every time pubbies have demanded some "SPECIAL STRAT" we've lost.

The ammo box one, I got sent as the "sacrifice" and I held out longer than the people in the ammo room, who wiped while I desperately one man armied the horde.

Packmaster got me on that run.

Also I finally got a second trinket, it gives me a 10% chance to not use a healing consumable when I use it. Healed a gray pubbie with a healthkit, then a red pubbie with the same health kit, then myself before it was like, YEAH YOU'VE PROBABLY USED ME ENOUGH :getin:

Also this is how I see the canon ending of vermintide:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

hooman posted:

Yeah I really don't understand why people bother with exploits when every time I've played with pubbies who have just held off on the right side of the platform we've owned it and peaced out no worries. Every time pubbies have demanded some "SPECIAL STRAT" we've lost.

Optimum strats, bro.

It's kind of funny how the ammo room one is the salvation of people but then one gas rat comes by and whelp.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Optimum strats, bro.

Stick together and murder things? Still totally viable and good!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Chomp8645 posted:

What's funny about this is that "not making any money" really just means "compared to 40k". Warhammer Fantasy was still the the #2 game on the market but by goly it's not doing as good as #1 so we might as well throw a moon into it!

This is from a few pages back but this thread moves quick nowadays. Do note that the decision to nuke Fantasy came shortly after some major court decisions that ruled that GW could not trademark the orcs and elves in Fantasy, as they were altogether too generic and the concepts too disseminated to allow them protections. The alternative would have been to allow potential legal action against pretty much anyone who had elves hanging out in forests in their books.

The 40k franchise is different because everything is highly stylized, and even the paper-thin translations (space elves, and orcs with a twisted sense of humor) have unique names as their primary monikers (Eldar and Orks).

Games Workshop retains their position through monopolistic control of their IPs. If they can't enforce their cut of an IP, they don't have any use for it. Age of Sigmar has everything as highly stylized as 40k, and therefore everything's enforceable.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Today my friends and I decided to try the black powder exploit and it 100% didn't work. Patched out?

I'm sad, we missed the loot boat :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Coolguye posted:

This is from a few pages back but this thread moves quick nowadays. Do note that the decision to nuke Fantasy came shortly after some major court decisions that ruled that GW could not trademark the orcs and elves in Fantasy, as they were altogether too generic and the concepts too disseminated to allow them protections. The alternative would have been to allow potential legal action against pretty much anyone who had elves hanging out in forests in their books.

The 40k franchise is different because everything is highly stylized, and even the paper-thin translations (space elves, and orcs with a twisted sense of humor) have unique names as their primary monikers (Eldar and Orks).

Games Workshop retains their position through monopolistic control of their IPs. If they can't enforce their cut of an IP, they don't have any use for it. Age of Sigmar has everything as highly stylized as 40k, and therefore everything's enforceable.

two counterpoints:

1. they still renamed a bunch of factions in 40k to dumb poo poo (i.e. imperial guard to something dumb like "astra militarum") so that they could copyright them

2. sure, they can rename all the factions, but that doesn't mean they also have to nuke the rules and entire setting and replace the rules with a bunch of whose-line-is-it-anyway no-points bullshit system and also literally end the world and replace it with wibbly wobbly nonsense

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Stick together and murder things? Still totally viable and good!

Yeah pretty much, guy with a shield up the front, cover each others backs, manouvre, keep an eye out for specials. It's not a particularly hard finale, and it seems like "optimum strats" means your skills at murdering rats and covering each other no longer apply and you need this new skillset specific to doing ONE WEIRD TRICK THAT GREY SEERS HATE.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

President Ark posted:

two counterpoints:

1. they still renamed a bunch of factions in 40k to dumb poo poo (i.e. imperial guard to something like "astra militarum" or something) so that they could copyright them

2. sure, they can rename all the factions, but that doesn't mean they also have to nuke the rules and entire setting and replace the rules with a bunch of whose-line-is-it-anyway no-points bullshit system and also literally end the world and replace it with wibbly wobbly nonsense

I'm not defending the decision, I'm just pointing out what happened like 2-3 months before the whole moonbomb plan showed up. I don't know the particulars so I can't speak to whether or not it was reasonable (and quite frankly I don't give even a tiny poo poo about either tabletop so I don't care), but these things were definitely related. The fact that they came up with plans that diverge so much seems to imply to me that there were divergent problems with the two IPs, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Funny thing is, most of the factions already had special snowflake names in the Lore. The High Elves, for example, call themselves the Asur.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

hooman posted:

Yeah pretty much, guy with a shield up the front, cover each others backs, manouvre, keep an eye out for specials. It's not a particularly hard finale, and it seems like "optimum strats" means your skills at murdering rats and covering each other no longer apply and you need this new skillset specific to doing ONE WEIRD TRICK THAT GREY SEERS HATE.

I was being sarcastic before, but yeah horn is probably the easiest finale of them all outside of maybe Warehouse. It's 90% clan/slave rats, few storms, but not much of any other special which is what really kills the group. If you can stay in your spot and not wander off so that rats start spawning behind you then you're pretty sure to get away clean.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hooman posted:

All our Shield players now have shield weapons with solid heals, so my friends and I can loving waste the rats this way. We actually found ourselves pushing down and off the stairs and almost pocketed ourselves by advancing too far ahead in driving back the rats.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Funny thing is, most of the factions already had special snowflake names in the Lore. The High Elves, for example, call themselves the Asur.

I'm sorry but the theorem of GW=bad makes this point moot.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

:smuggo:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Coolguye posted:

Lmbo of course GW tried to trademark Orcs and Elves

Classic Games Workshop

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why would they even need to trademark Orc? They've already got the spelling Ork and the nickname Greenskins.

I'm an idiot for not noticing earlier, but the best place to hold out at the end of Machines of War is in the cellar. No worries about ROgres down there and it's easy to defend.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

They didn't invent "Orc", that came through mostly on Tolkien's stuff. They did invent the warbosses and boyz and waaauugg and weird subconcious psychic energy thing so -that- is their property. Not the entire idea of a big green dude.

E. Saying that their idea to do it was dumb, not posters here.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GW: "Who's Tolkein? We made that poo poo up ourselves Your Honour, we swear."

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflecopper posted:

GW: "Who's Tolkein? We made that poo poo up ourselves Your Honour, we swear."

Elves were even back in like, ancient Greece and poo poo

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

Elves were even back in like, ancient Greece and poo poo

Yeah but Tolkien's the one who really turned them from tiny magic fairy people with a mischievous streak to haughty hippie immortals with bows that every fantasy uses because Dungeons and Dragons picked it up and ran with it too.

Also don't forget GW tried to trademark the term Space Marine even though it's been used in sci-fi since at least the 1930s.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

All our Shield players now have shield weapons with solid heals, so my friends and I can loving waste the rats this way. We actually found ourselves pushing down and off the stairs and almost pocketed ourselves by advancing too far ahead in driving back the rats.

A chance to heal sword and board is what I roll with for Kruber. Nothing more satisfying that being on full health and being like LET ME GET THAT FOR YOU with a 10% chance to not be consumed medpack.

EDIT: I just found out that the arming sword existed. I had no idea that was even a Kruber weapon.... I have never seen one.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 29, 2015

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Yeah but Tolkien's the one who really turned them from tiny magic fairy people with a mischievous streak to haughty hippie immortals with bows that every fantasy uses because Dungeons and Dragons picked it up and ran with it too.

Also don't forget GW tried to trademark the term Space Marine even though it's been used in sci-fi since at least the 1930s.

I wonder what happened to turn GW into a clowncar of failure. Did they all accidentally get locked in during a bug spraying or something?

Back in the early 2000s they weren't that bad, expensive yes but not "Lets nuke the iconic setting that put us where we are and replace it with BLOODSECRATORS that wield four-bladed axes! *Huffs paint thinner*" dumb.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Stop perpetuating rapier culture.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

s1ppycup posted:

Stop perpetuating rapier culture.

lol i kinda like the two hander just wanted to show that off to the smug guy with a blue

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Abandoned Toaster posted:

They do have a Space Marine trademark dumb dumb. It's just that it exclusively applies to miniatures and miniature accessories. Kind of like how Apple has a trademark on the Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Somehow today I'm getting instantly murdered every single game by just running along, no enemies around, flop face down on the ground, no help me mode, just straight up loving dead for no reason.

• Locked thread