Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

My Q-Face posted:

There was supposed to be a thing, in the original draft, where Kirk and Saavik had a romance for the second half of the film, after spending the first half under the misapprehension that she was a man. And Spock was supposed to die half-way through instead of at the end. The Mister was probably the last hold out from that.

Saavik was also supposed to be part Vulcan and part Romulan (which was supposed to explain why she cried during Spock's funeral, among other things) and in the film novelizations, she eventually shacked up with David Marcus in The Search for Spock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Howard Beale posted:

Saavik was also supposed to be part Vulcan and part Romulan (which was supposed to explain why she cried during Spock's funeral, among other things) and in the film novelizations, she eventually shacked up with David Marcus in The Search for Spock.

Also the part of Valeris from Undiscovered Country was originally written as Saavik

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Howard Beale posted:

And the villains in III were supposed to be Romulans, but that was dropped along with the half-romulan thing that went unspoken in the films.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Isn't that why both klingons and romulans have bird-themed ship classes?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I think that went back to TOS because both had the D7 or whatever battlecruiser iirc. which I imagine was people reusing stuff in the show, and of course there is long lore explanation about why that is that some nerd wrote.

I only noticed this because I noticed the ship was the same on two different model kits one day

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I could have sworn that there was a (probably retconned) backstory that during a short period of time Klingons and Romulans were allied the latter gave the Klingons access to some ship technology and designs.

Ask the Klingons, though, and the Romulans stole the 'naming a ship class after a bird'-technology from the original Klingon.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Originally, the Klingons traded the D7 ship for the cloaking technology, because the Klingon design was superior. The ship exchange didn't go both ways, the Romulan ships were inferior. The original bird of prey from TOS couldn't do warp, didn't have shields and had limited range and fuel stores. The only advantages were the cloak and the plasma weapon. Aside from that, it was no match for the Enterprise, while the Klingon D7s were meant to be essentially equal to the Federation's best. Which is why it was such a shock that the Romulans acquired them in the Enterprise incident.

Even the Bird of Prey in the movie was no match for the Enterprise.

All of this was retconned when they turned the Klingons from the cunning soviet analogue into the Weeaboo warrior analogue race during TNG and they changed the bird of prey from a scout ship into a heavy cruiser.

Another draft of the III script had the Klingons stealing the Bird of Prey from a Romulan crew, but that was also cut out. In fact, there was a lot of stuff planned for III but later cut for various reasons, including budget and Kirstie Alley's agent's salary demands. If you pay attention to the structure of III, you can kind of feel it, the acts and story beats seem slight, like they're missing something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kitchner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHR0UPHERQ

What you call "genocide", I call "A day's work"

You could make a strong case for this being the best DS9 episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I wanted to watch a random TNG episode tonight, and ended up with the Irish stereotypes one. It was way more hilarious than I remember. In HD you can really see the disgust in poor Colm Meany's face in the scene where he beams them up for the first time, and a little folky Irish jig starts playing, and the head guy of course immediately runs over to offer him a drink from his hip flask, the standard greeting between two Irishmen. I think this might have been the original origin of O'Brien must suffer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Howard Beale posted:

I think there might have been something in the original script along those lines as well, as there's an olllld sneak preview on Youtube that uses a lot of alternate-take footage and includes a couple of short scenes that were cut, including Spock saying Saavik is part-Romulan, and a brief shot which suggests that Saavik and David were getting cozy.

The alternate takes are also interesting; when Kirk uses the prefix code to drop Reliant's shields, Shatner shouts "FIRE!" like he's Captain Aubrey blowing away Frenchmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4BjWW5jTw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Still have no idea why they didn't release the Director's Cut for Wrath of Khan on bluray, it's not like there was an issue with special effects like with The Motion Picture, and the theatrical cut of the engine room inspection seems much more disjointed after having seen the director's cut.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Does Colm Meaney hold the record for most Star Trekking? He was on two of the longest series regularly. Kinda funny if so!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Does Colm Meaney hold the record for most Star Trekking? He was on two of the longest series regularly. Kinda funny if so!
According to the internet, Michael Dorn appeared in 272 episodes (and 5 movies) as Worf. Colm Meaney appeared in 211 episodes.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OH DUH WORF. Yeah that makes sense.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How many appearances does Majel Barrett-Roddenberry have voicing computers on TNG, DS9, Voy and the lovely Scott Bakula one, as well as playing Troi's mom/Odo's stalker?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shadow puppet of a posted:

How many appearances does Majel Barrett-Roddenberry have voicing computers on TNG, DS9, Voy and the lovely Scott Bakula one, as well as playing Troi's mom/Odo's stalker?

A really quick copy-paste and line count from here gives me 301 appearances. That includes even tiny things like the "Previously, on Star Trek: The Next Generation" for part two of two-parters, and may well include some duplicates (e.g. if she was both Lwaxana and the computer in an episode).

On that same article, I learned that she left four million dollars and a mansion to her pet dogs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Upon their death the star trek cast's residuals should be pooled into a single pot of money to be used for the purpose of establishing an actual spacefaring Romulan emprie.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

He doesn't, but he does have probably the best track record for work outside of Star Trek except maybe for Patrick Stewart.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Still have no idea why they didn't release the Director's Cut for Wrath of Khan on bluray, it's not like there was an issue with special effects like with The Motion Picture, and the theatrical cut of the engine room inspection seems much more disjointed after having seen the director's cut.

I think Nick Meyer rustled some executive jimmies at Paramount with his director's commentary on the DVD release and they're less interested in giving him more money. He is singularly responsible for the commentary disclaimer. He mentions this in his book, View from the Bridge, which I highly recommend.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is one of the big reasons I disagree with people who tell others to skip season 1 of DS9.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

My Q-Face posted:

He doesn't, but he does have probably the best track record for work outside of Star Trek except maybe for Patrick Stewart.
Shatner didn't do too bad for himself.

Meaney is one of those guys who got solid work as a character actor before Trek and continues to afterward. He's one of the lucky ones. There's a bunch of Trek alumni who seem to subsist on convention fees. Like what has Terry Farrell done since DS9 ended? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000395/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's cool to see Siddig getting work though: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0796502/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Inescapable and Cairo Time were actually good movies, and he's got a recurring gig on Game of Thrones now.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Wil Wheaton was on the Big Bang Theory as a repeating cameo and hosts the successful (and awesome) Tabletop so he probably comes out evens.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

It's cool to see Siddig getting work though: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0796502/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Inescapable and Cairo Time were actually good movies, and he's got a recurring gig on Game of Thrones now.
I remember being pretty jazzed when he showed up in Kingdom of Heaven.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kitchner posted:

Wil Wheaton was on the Big Bang Theory as a repeating cameo and hosts the successful (and awesome) Tabletop so he probably comes out evens.

Yeah, Wil Wheaton somehow came out the other end of being the butt of every TNG joke as a nice, well-adjusted guy who does cool stuff and actually has a healthy relationship with the whole Star Trek fandom thing.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Entropic posted:

Meaney is one of those guys who got solid work as a character actor before Trek and continues to afterward. He's one of the lucky ones. There's a bunch of Trek alumni who seem to subsist on convention fees. Like what has Terry Farrell done since DS9 ended? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000395/?ref_=nv_sr_1

She retired to Hershey Pennsylvania where she could live out her life with the residuals and the money she already made on DS9 and Becker. (And she married the "Can you hear me now" guy). It has more to do with lack of interest than anything else, given her experience trying to get the actors on Becker to strike and hold out for better deals.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

Yeah, Wil Wheaton somehow came out the other end of being the butt of every TNG joke as a nice, well-adjusted guy who does cool stuff and actually has a healthy relationship with the whole Star Trek fandom thing.

I even forgive him for posting on Reddit

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I'll never forgive him for giving Fark the win over SA in that photoshop contest.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Entropic posted:

I guess, but I don't know what to call him. I don't think he qualifies as an "actor" since he doesn't really do any acting. He's basically a professional nerd?

What I'm saying is, Wesley needs to get a real job.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I guess, but I don't know what to call him. I don't think he qualifies as an "actor" since he doesn't really do any acting. He's basically a professional nerd?

Actors need to get real jobs too

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

He did a pretty long stint on that Eureka show no-one except me watched ever. He basically played a 30-something Wesley who was also a massive prick.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Naxuz posted:

He did a pretty long stint on that Eureka show no-one except me watched ever. He basically played a 30-something Wesley who was also a massive prick.

Two people watched it actually. But i got mad when they killed off the classiest character.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Naxuz posted:

I did watch that and I rather liked it, but I literally never saw him in it so obviously I did watch as much of it as I thought

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

it's DS9's The Measure of a Man

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

Yeah Shatner starred on T.J. Hooker and Rescue 911, and then later had a stint on Boston Legal. He's done well for himself even by non-Trek actor standards.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah Shatner starred on T.J. Hooker and Rescue 911, and then later had a stint on Boston Legal. He's done well for himself even by non-Trek actor standards.

And spokesperson for the Commodore VIC-20

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You forget his finest work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkRF_FmD40

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
TekWar hellooo

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I'm probably alone in that I liked nearly all the early Bajor/Emissary episodes of DS9.

The provisional government, soil reclamators, ancient prophecies, Dakur province; it was all good

And you had Kai Winn popping up every once in a while to play space dowager countess and lay down some bitchy burns on Kira/Sisko.

I get a bit sad later on, when the show moves away from all of that and it becomes mainly about the Dominion War. Which I still liked but it felt like they dropped a lot of the Bajor stuff later on, which was strange because in the pilot Sisko's mission was to help rebuild Bajor and prepare the Bajorans for admission into the Federation

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It is surprising from a modern tv point of view that the question of whether Bajor winds up joining the Federation is never answered directly. I wonder if they just forgot or if they felt it would be at odds with the melancholy tone of the later seasons to have a celebratory end to Sisko's mission, but I do think that the question is pretty much academic by the end of the show. Bajor has been a major Starfleet base of operations for a couple years, their religious leadership is gone, a Starfleet officer became their messiah -- whether they are technically in the Federation is almost a moot point.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't think they ever made it particularly clear what being a member of the Federation actually means.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you get to wear their space clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

you cant wear religious earrings in federation photo id

• Locked thread