Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
No it's legitimately painted entirely black from the company. Should be a fun test drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would wirewheel or solvent clean that off, jesus.

Also your flood of TIMG pics is making my phone cry :(

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Yup, that there's some good welding, mmhmm.

I also applaud you for not getting bent out of shape when being criticized about your garage security, and your approach to a stuck u-joint.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

kastein posted:

I would wirewheel or solvent clean that off, jesus.

Also your flood of TIMG pics is making my phone cry :(

Same here, this is one of the few threads that bogs my phone.

Also that coating is meant to burn off during first use, leaving everything not in contact with the pad coated and protected from rusting.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

mafoose posted:

Also that coating is meant to burn off during first use, leaving everything not in contact with the pad coated and protected from rusting.

Wait, the paint the whole rotor scheme is legit? I remember running into that idea in like 2002 on hondatech so bros could have painted rotor hats to complement their painted stock calipers.

Never tried- up here (CNY) we show our surface rust with pride- but always wondered how the pads fare all gunked up with caliper paint after they've wiped the rotor clear (whilst maintaining the sw8 painted hats. Yo.) Anyone?

glyph fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 21, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
its used on higher end EBC stuff too, doesn't do anything to the pads, it just gets burned off where the pad rides.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's
Not to say I'm above painting calipers, but I didn't know the rotors were going to be painted when I ordered them. The accompanying picture showed sealed edges with normal pad polished faces. I didn't even know the internet was allowed to lie...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Good ATE discs also come coated with this galvanized zink* that works the same way. It's worn off on the first application, but leaves the rest of the rotor rust free:

*) I'm clearly not in materials science.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hahahahaha I'm dumb and could have totally brought y'all back to the times I worked at Brembo and we painted a shitload of brakeplates, but :downs:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'd me more concerned with the mating surfaces of the rotor hat being painted than the friction surfaces.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I'd me more concerned with the mating surfaces of the rotor hat being painted than the friction surfaces.

Pretty much every Wilwood brake kit i've ever seen on youtube or in real life has painted rotors; it can't be THAT much of a problem :v:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
The kits with floating rotors that I've seen use anodized aluminum hats.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have put many Mercedes Benz rotors that are painted like that and they are never a problem. And why the heck would painted rotors affect the mating surface to the hub. That would have to be a shot load of uneven paint

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Weirdly enough, I may have helped make those MB rotors! We did a bunch of USDM Mercedes and BMW rotors at Brembo's plant in Michigan.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Did some WORK yesterday. in LARGE format instead of TIMG because <3 kastein

One of the slide pins was all gunky and corroded, so I wire wheeled it and greased dat mofo:

New grease on all four fronts and all four rears. She's all smooth now.

New pads:

I also:

Fit the spring perch rubber (required some cutting on the lowers, may require more cutting, I'll show you in the next post)
Installed the upper control arms. Axle weight is now on them and off the bungee cords.
Installed the rear shocks.

Of course I didn't take any photos of this. My buddy came over and wanted me to ride along to a shady craigslist deal and we had beers afterwards so :shrug:

Things left to do:
Install front shocks (need the mounting hardware as the old poo poo is busted and gross. Getting it today)
Install front springs (may still need to "custom fit" the perch rubber a bit more)
Install tie rod (still hasn't showed up to the house yet)
Install drag link (nothing standing in the way of this one. Will probably do this tonight)
Install track bar (nothing standing in the way of this one. Will probably do this tonight)
Install steering damper (nothing standing in the way of this one. Will probably do this tonight)
Install front and rear sway bar end links (last thing I'm installing on the front. Doing the rears tonight)
Bleed the brakes (I was a dumbass and routed the caliper lines wrong, so I had to open the lines)
Torque the front hub nuts (need a billy badass torque wrench that can handle 175 ft*lbs)
Torque the LCA & UCA bolts (requires truck to be on the ground, will probably be the final step)

Things I'll do if there's time:
Rear diff gasket
Rear ball joint (I would need to "rent" the ball joint press again for this)

Things I'm not doing:
Transfer case rebuild (ayyyyy lmao)
Oil pan semi-circle gasket thing (ayyyyyyyyy lmao)

Fingers crossed, should be ready to go sometime this week.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

This is a lot of work updated and yet I find myself needing more.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
While imgur has the "l" for Large suffix, you can also use "h" for Huge and it's not really that huge.

Anybody using Chrome should install imagus. When you hover over an image it zooms in the fullsize version without having to click through, and it works on imgur "l" and "h" links to show you the big image upon hover. Don't install the popular one, HoverZoom, as they went the Hola Unblocker route and started selling your data.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Oil pan semi-circle gasket thing (ayyyyyyyyy lmao)

What is this semi-circle thingie you speak of? Please, disassemble and show us.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think I've ever thought to wire wheel a slide pin. Does it actually work? I usually just towel off the grease with a little pressure and replace the pin if it gets mad bad.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

As long as you're careful you won't take off too much material. There will be some flat spots, but the pin still functions perfectly fine.

I totally didn't do poo poo yesterday. Went bowling instead.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

As long as you're careful you won't take off too much material. There will be some flat spots, but the pin still functions perfectly fine.

I totally didn't do poo poo yesterday. Went bowling instead.

This is a man who spends his time wisely.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think I've ever thought to wire wheel a slide pin. Does it actually work? I usually just towel off the grease with a little pressure and replace the pin if it gets mad bad.

I find they last progressively less long each time you do it than a new one would before they rust to poo poo again. I banged the stupid pin out of a family members Accord front caliper three times over a 2.5 year period before I told him to just give up and buy a new caliber.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

8ender posted:

I find they last progressively less long each time you do it than a new one would before they rust to poo poo again. I banged the stupid pin out of a family members Accord front caliper three times over a 2.5 year period before I told him to just give up and buy a new caliber.

Why the gently caress would you ever recommend a Dodge Caliber to anyone?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

This somehow seemed to slip by. Quoting for truth and posterity.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sigma X posted:

The caliber was the small lifted hatchback/crossover/micro-suv before they became popular. See, Mazda CX3/Honda HRV/etc.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

:haw:

A friend of mine loves his Caliber. Bought it off the lot ~10 years ago, hasn't given him any real problems outside of normal wear items, just had its 200k mile birthday.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

scuz posted:

hasn't given him any real problems

Except for driving a caliber.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Except for driving a caliber.
:haw: realtalk I'm trying to find him a nice, boxy Dakota since he had one a long time ago and misses it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

bolind posted:

Good ATE discs also come coated with this galvanized zink* that works the same way. It's worn off on the first application, but leaves the rest of the rotor rust free:

*) I'm clearly not in materials science.

Y are u using a kids playmat as a kneepad? :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Why kneel to do that? Just plop your rear end down and get to work.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Mat_Drinks posted:

Y are u using a kids playmat as a kneepad? :v:

They are seriously the best work mats. I have like 20 stacked in my garage that I stick together like lego and slide under cars.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Because that's what I had. Think I have a few more letters too. I've also cut a few of them up to make poor man's foam inserts for the tool box.

I think these days I use a nice thick 2" foam thing from some packaging at work.

I'd rather not sit my precious little derrière down on the ground in my parking garage, it's cold and nasty.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I had a creeper once before my brother backed his truck over it when I let him borrow it.

He's in jail now on his second DUI so I guess fair's fair :haw:

How is it getting out of those pads though?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 29, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rear is done:

Front Track Bar is on:

It'll have to be adjusted once the tires are on, but I wanted to mount it now because yolo.

New tie rod is here and the ends are on it. Drag link should be the same tonight.

Should have it ready to rock by the weekend!

Combined cycle HRSG:

Dagge :3:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Is it bad that I know exactly what you're talking about despite not being in the power generation industry? I guess picking up a lot of information about all sorts of different industrial things is one of the side effects of being in the environmental consulting industry.

I'm imaging you doing work at the power plant with the dog constantly running in circles around you.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

^^^^ HRSGs are loving cool and I love them.

Tie rod and drag link on:

Steering Stabilizer on:

Other poo poo on:

Just so I don't forget something like a doofus:

Adiabatic posted:

Things left to do:
Install front shocks loving HARDWARE gently caress
Install front springs
Install ALIGN tie rod
Install ALIGN drag link
Install ALIGN track bar
Install steering damper
Install front and rear sway bar end links
Bleed the brakes (I was a dumbass and routed the caliper lines wrong, so I had to open the lines)
Torque the front hub nuts (need a billy badass torque wrench that can handle 175 ft*lbs)
Torque the LCA & UCA bolts (requires truck to be on the ground, will probably be the final step)

About to head back to the 'ol zone and grab some new shock hardware. Or go drink beer and watch football. Haven't decided yet.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I feel like you'll want the steering stabilizer on the top side of the tie rod, is that an option?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Go to tractor supply for the hardware instead, gently caress paying autozone prices for bolts. Grade 8 by the pound!

Then spend the savings in the welding aisle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Go to tractor supply for the hardware instead, gently caress paying autozone prices for bolts. Grade 8 by the pound!

Then spend the savings in the welding aisle...

TSC has the best drat bargain on hardware. I just walk in, start stuffing bolts in a bag, and walk out way cheaper. I have been stocking up my supply bin with just random sized hardware from TSC lately when ever I need to stop in.

I cant believe how many times its been handy to just say "gently caress where did that bolt go" only to go dig in my bin and find the perfect sized bolt.