Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Has the game progressed beyond "CATI BP RUN!!1" yet? Literally the only time I was able to play non-BP maps with goons was the first day I bought this grindfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I was able to get non BP-cheese games in tonight via mumble and steam group chat. You should be fine.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Godmachine posted:

Has the game progressed beyond "CATI BP RUN!!1" yet? Literally the only time I was able to play non-BP maps with goons was the first day I bought this grindfest.
I just did a bunch of non-Black Powder runs with goons. Just try asking in the group chat or join a group and see if anyone's actually interested in playing the game.

I will freely admit that I've spent some time cheesin' it too. :v:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Well, I wasn't planning on maining the Soldier, but if you insist, Vermintide...

Real stoked about that handgun.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 29, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Somehow today I'm getting instantly murdered every single game by just running along, no enemies around, flop face down on the ground, no help me mode, just straight up loving dead for no reason.

Try not to trip and land on the pointy end of your sword.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Improbable Lobster posted:

They do have a Space Marine trademark dumb dumb. It's just that it exclusively applies to miniatures and miniature accessories. Kind of like how Apple has a trademark on the Apple.

Doesn't mean they didn't try to push said trademark into other media. They sued a lady who wrote a furry book called [generic cat name] the Space Marine with cover art that didn't look at all like the Adeptes Astartes. Just some anthro tiger dude in generic future armor.

Maybe one day GW will get management that will stop huffing marker fumes. Until then, I do hope we can get good games out of the IPs despite them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Any advice on tweaking the game for better FPS? I have a i7 and an R9 280.

I drop from 60fps to the mid 50's in a general fight; and down to 40 in big swarms, especially the White Rat mission.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
First night. Loved my first two games- then I got in 2 that lost within 5 seconds of my arrival, and one more that featured people that didn't seem to understand video games, let alone teamplay.

But even just getting kinda-sorta-maybe competent people, this thing is pretty awesome. Great atmosphere, great teamplay, gameplay, etc. Just good stuff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gridlocked posted:

Any advice on tweaking the game for better FPS? I have a i7 and an R9 280.

I drop from 60fps to the mid 50's in a general fight; and down to 40 in big swarms, especially the White Rat mission.

Try not looking at or near a witchunter when they're spamming their brace of pistols. For some reason the blasts murder framerate.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alkydere posted:

Try not looking at or near a witchunter when they're spamming their brace of pistols. For some reason the blasts murder framerate.

I uh.. play Witch Hunter >.>

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Gridlocked posted:

I uh.. play Witch Hunter >.>

Oh well then you should have no problems!

Everyone else hates you though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Try not spamming the brace of pistols as aggressively? Or try spamming it yourself to see if you're triggering your own video lag? It doesn't affect me when I'm the Witch Hunter, but I've noticed that when playing with other WH's that rapid fire can utterly wreck my framerate.

The game looks fine on Low settings honestly, so don't be worried about turning it down and seeing if that helps it. The game felt like I was walking through molasses the first couple runs until I turned the settings to Low myself.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I've mostly soldorfed it up so far, hadn't tried elf at all until this evening. Tried a couple of games as elf and its been the best time I've had so far, the bow destroys hordes and the twin blades attack so fast you can chew through normal rats with ease. I enjoy playing as the elf. I don't even know who I am anymore.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I've got an i5 with a 660 GTX and have everything on max in big fights it drops to about 30. I doubt you'll have any real issues.

Random Integer posted:

I've mostly soldorfed it up so far, hadn't tried elf at all until this evening. Tried a couple of games as elf and its been the best time I've had so far, the bow destroys hordes and the twin blades attack so fast you can chew through normal rats with ease. I enjoy playing as the elf. I don't even know who I am anymore.

Look in the mirror, all you'll see is Kerellian staring back at you.

Behind you the murdered corpse of Kruber with your dagger in his back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a blue repeater gun with knockback and 50 percent faster reload. Spinning this thing before firing into a crowd of rats is hilarious.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vargs posted:

Well, I wasn't planning on maining the Soldier, but if you insist, Vermintide...

Wow, that handgun is basically perfect, IMO.

Also, has anyone figured out if the "pushes made with this weapon are extra powerful" applies to the knockback of charged attacks by the 2-handed hammer and charged-attack shield bashes?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Maybe one day GW will get management that will stop huffing marker fumes. Until then, I do hope we can get good games out of the IPs despite them.

Doubt it, they still think Pokemon is dead.

Vargs posted:

Mad jelly for that handgun, holy poo poo.

Krinkle posted:

Somehow today I'm getting instantly murdered every single game by just running along, no enemies around, flop face down on the ground, no help me mode, just straight up loving dead for no reason.

That poo poo happened to me a lot with a specific goon as a host back in the beta and never else. Rat ogre spawns somewhere in the map and my dorf bit the dust. Twice. On different maps. It was pretty weird.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Musluk posted:

Doubt it, they still think Pokemon is dead.

Haha what? Explain. This sounds special.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Haha what? Explain. This sounds special.

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/CHAIRMAN-statement-final.pdf at TYOOL 2013 posted:

I have written a great deal over the years about the ‘greatest danger’ facing Games Workshop. It has usually been in response to the expression of some fear of imminent doom. When will the world tire of miniatures? (It won’t; these are not fashion items, they are hobby collectibles.) Won’t all your customers move on to computer games instead? (They didn’t; most of our current customers weren’t born when the Atari ST came out.) How about other games like Pokémon or role-playing games? (Who can remember them, now?).

This is after year 2000's where they blamed Magic and Pokemon for killing their sales.

It's just magical.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
MM into HoM hard, am immediately greeted by a meathead-sounding sperger saying "whoah a level five why are you doing this for your first one dude haha you don't even have any trinkets" and then said guy proceeds to get himself murdered right after the guardhouse while I carry to the end in revives and general kills

guess autism doesn't make you automatically good at videogames, I sure wish games didn't enable those with tendencies tho

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When the dwarf says "nice shot dorie" or "good one dorie" who the gently caress is he talking to? Nobody's name is anything close to dorie? His weapon? That can be a hammer or axe or sword? Does he call literally everyone and everything dorie? Does he have an invisible friend?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Krinkle posted:

When the dwarf says "nice shot dorie" or "good one dorie" who the gently caress is he talking to? Nobody's name is anything close to dorie? His weapon? That can be a hammer or axe or sword? Does he call literally everyone and everything dorie? Does he have an invisible friend?

Dawri is the Dwarf word for comrades who are not dwarfs, so everyone else.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I think "dorie" means "Non-dwarf that I find is really cool and I have no (current) grudges with".

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Dawri: As good and reliable as can be, without proving reliability through use over time.

He's calling the gang Dawri as an affectionate nickname. He does this with everyone, calling Krueber Azumgi, Saltyspire Grimgi, etc.

Also:

Dongliz - Parts of Dwarf body impossible to scratch.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Eldar may also be taken or just happy coincidence, I don't remember if that term is ever used outside Silmarillion. Nor if any GW execs read it before space elves came about.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Musluk posted:

Dawri: As good and reliable as can be, without proving reliability through use over time.

He's calling the gang Dawri as an affectionate nickname. He does this with everyone, calling Krueber Azumgi, Saltyspire Grimgi, etc.

Also:

Dongliz - Parts of Dwarf body impossible to scratch.

I read somewhere that his nickname for the waywatcher is literally "stupid elf". What about Azumgi and Grimgi?

edit: did a quick search

umgi = human
Azul - Metal of any kind, dependable, a sturdy Dwarf.
Grim - Harsh, unyielding.

I guess Krueber is metal/dependable dude while Saltpyre is unyielding dude.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 29, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They mean 'tough human' and 'grim human' respectively.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm sorry, I didn't know. I didn't even know there was a non 40k warhammer until this game came out and I was pressganged into buying it. I didn't know any lore names. Dorie is just an old lady's nick name to me so I looked at everyone's names and was stumped and angry.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Krinkle posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't know. I didn't even know there was a non 40k warhammer until this game came out and I was pressganged into buying it. I didn't know any lore names. Dorie is just an old lady's nick name to me so I looked at everyone's names and was stumped and angry.

What is there to be sorry about? It is just a sperg trap. Who cares if you can't speak Khazalid, just spank rats!

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Game puts the dwarf-human language translations in the loading tips sometimes, so that's where most of us saw them. And since the dwarf is such a bro and the characterization is pretty good, most goons remember this poo poo.

Nothing to be sorry about indeed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Krinkle posted:

Grudge Increased.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Musluk posted:

This is after year 2000's where they blamed Magic and Pokemon for killing their sales.

It's just magical.

It's still great they talked down to one of the most successful gaming franchises ever.

It's like Doctor Who talking trash about Star Wars.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Krinkle posted:

Your slight has been noted in the Book. :manning:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Night10194 posted:

They mean 'tough human' and 'grim human' respectively.

Kruber: Azumgi, or tough/reliable(lit. metal) human
Saltzpyre: Grimgi, or harsh/unyielding human
Kerillian: Wutelgi, or Wood Elf. This is kinda surprising, especially since the Wut comes from Wutroth, which is wood from an old tree. Maybe Bardin doesn't dislike the elf as much as it seems!
Sienna: Zharrinn, or Fire Lady, but it's important that rinn isn't just the word for any lady, but the King's Consort, a title of great importance, like Queen.

With him calling everyone good and reliable(Dawr=Reliable, good as it gets +i=plural), and referring to them all as oathbound slayers(Dreng=kill in combat, +Baraz=bond, oath, promise+i=plural), the cool thing about all these little word translations is showing how much Bardin is a total bro to everyone and how much he really likes their band. Even the elf! He has a nifty nickname for the ELF!

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 29, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are a ton of little details that tickle my inner sperg, like the Imperial characters referring to all the Gods at the correct times and stuff like that. I like that they put a lot of that in, but didn't make a big deal out of it. It doesn't slow things down and it's just a nice bunch of detail.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I'll always giggle when I hear , HOLY SIGMAR BLESS THIS RAVAGED BODY!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Grondoth posted:

Kruber: Azumgi, or tough/reliable(lit. metal) human
Saltzpyre: Grimgi, or harsh/unyielding human
Kerillian: Wutelgi, or Wood Elf. This is kinda surprising, especially since the Wut comes from Wutroth, which is wood from an old tree. Maybe Bardin doesn't dislike the elf as much as it seems!
Sienna: Zharrinn, or Fire Lady, but it's important that rinn isn't just the word for any lady, but the King's Consort, a title of great importance, like Queen.

With him calling everyone good and reliable(Dawr=Reliable, good as it gets +i=plural), and referring to them all as oathbound slayers(Dreng=kill in combat, +Baraz=bond, oath, promise+i=plural), the cool thing about all these little word translations is showing how much Bardin is a total bro to everyone and how much he really likes their band. Even the elf! He has a nifty nickname for the ELF!

Forces of Order baby.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Drakes posted:

I'll always giggle when I hear , HOLY SIGMAR BLESS THIS RAVAGED BODY!

Everyone I've played with hears "HOLY poo poo, MAN"
I'm 99% sure the voice actor just read it wrong.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Everyone I've played with hears "HOLY poo poo, MAN"
I'm 99% sure the voice actor just read it wrong.

Nah, the answer is goons.

And Reddit.

And 4chan.

And steam forums.

I swear I'm the only one that head Holy Sigmar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
My favourite dude has to be kruber. He's a nice combination of an ideal soldier gentlemen, combined with being sort of an emotional mess and hiding it behind a stiff upper lip. The latter is kind of subtle until you look at his room and see the combination of little handcrafted crude dolls and copious amounts of alcohol.

He's got a... moment with saltz as well. Went roughly like

:geno: You're thinking about going to try to find your family at your farm, aren't you?
:unsmith: Aye, sir.
:geno: They're all dead, you know.
:smith: I know, sir.
:geno: Don't try to hope, focus your anger on revenge instead, soldier.
:smithicide: Aye, sir.

• Locked thread