Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Awia posted:

im using c#/asp.net/mvc and i <3 everything about it
this and also knockout.js for SPA things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Awia posted:

im using c#/asp.net/mvc and i <3 everything about it

same except c#/wpf/mvvm and i <3 everything about it

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
java/swing/spring/rcp/weblogic

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
go? heh, more like gorbage.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

c# is gr8

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i cant really think how people architect java applications, it never makes sense on where to start

ive gotten better at this (as i have to for $$) but a lot of design methodology seems based on Don't Repeat Yourself and Spring-everything-as-annotations-and-interfaces which makes it hard to track down an implementation when multiple subclassed interfaces exist for a generic one

i feel like this should be all interfaces or a hierarchy, not both

feel

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

devops is full of people who couldn't make it as real developers and a big part of that is them not understanding why they should use c#/java

devops is cool but the tooling is so loving bad it's astonishing how much gets accomplished

fwiw if anyone ever built decent cloud tooling libraries with c# i'd be all over that poo poo so fast it'd make your head spin

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Blinkz0rz posted:

fwiw if anyone ever built decent cloud tooling libraries with c# i'd be all over that poo poo so fast it'd make your head spin

what kind of tooling are you thinking of?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

eschaton posted:

what kind of tooling are you thinking of?

stuff like chef/puppet/ansible but cross platform

it won't happen because mono is garbage and will never ship in a major linux distro

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Flat Daddy posted:

drat, OTOH i just found out elm's package manager enforces semantic versioning by type checking your package when you submit an update

yeah it works well too. if you push a new version but the public api is the same, you get a patch version, like from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1. if you add a new exported function to your public api, but don't change or remove existing functions, it bumps you up a minor version, like from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0. if you modify or remove existing functions, then it bumps you up a major version, like from 1.1.0 to 2.0.0.

and then you can run something like "elm package diff elm-lang/core 2.0.0 2.1.0" and it will output something like
code:
Comparing elm-lang/core 2.0.0 to 2.1.0...
This is a MINOR change.

------ Changes to module Array - MINOR ------

Added:
        isEmpty : Array a -> Bool

------ Changes to module Dict - MINOR ------

Added:
        isEmpty : Dict comparable v -> Bool

------ Changes to module Set - MINOR ------

Added:
        isEmpty : Set comparable -> Bool

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
c# is good and will be even better with core clr stuff in aspnet5

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
aspnet apps running on Linux with nginix reverse proxies #wow #woah

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

agreed op

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

fart simpson posted:

yeah it works well too. if you push a new version but the public api is the same, you get a patch version, like from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1. if you add a new exported function to your public api, but don't change or remove existing functions, it bumps you up a minor version, like from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0. if you modify or remove existing functions, then it bumps you up a major version, like from 1.1.0 to 2.0.0.

and then you can run something like "elm package diff elm-lang/core 2.0.0 2.1.0" and it will output something like
code:

This is a MINOR change.

Added:

Added:

Added:

this is rad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

stuff like chef/puppet/ansible but cross platform

it won't happen because mono is garbage and will never ship in a major linux distro

the problem is Linux is a shitfest to manage cause its all random config files and shell scripts. someone would have to rewrite that in c# and lol not it

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

code:

This is a MINOR change.

Added:

Added:

Added:

this is rad

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

why can't everything do this? :(

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

fart simpson posted:

code:
This is a MINOR change.

Added:

Added:

Added:

this is deg

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

how is elm so good?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

code:
This is a MINOR change.

Added:

Added:

Added:

that's really cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BANME.sh posted:

terrible programmer here. what do you do when you feel completely out of your element on a project. and it makes you procrastinate way longer than you should. and when you do try to work on it, you don't really make any useful progress. and it's too late to ask for help because everyone would know you just pissed away all that time. so its a horrible combined feeling that you're inadequate and a fraud.

what do you do.

besides drink i mean.

asking for a friend.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

the problem is Linux is a shitfest to manage cause its all random config files and shell scripts. someone would have to rewrite that in c# and lol not it

ya

i feel like someone could rewrite chef in c# but there's still the issue that ruby has been bundled with linux systems for years and dnx is just now coming out of beta

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently we just interviewed a dude for our team who currently works at red hat

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Valeyard posted:

Apparently we just interviewed a dude for our team who currently works at red hat

male shoegaze getting desperate

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
remember mac os x came bundled not only with ruby but freakin rails at one point? wtf was that. or am i remembering wrong

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
which is the more terrible idea: putting a few .jar's in git, or managing a maven repository server myself. for some reason in order to get IT to install a maven repo manager to a VM and connect it to LDAP i would have to convince the division manager why we need an internal maven server, explain why the other java projects haven't requested it, and wait 3 quarters. :smith:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

triple sulk posted:

male shoegaze getting desperate

nah they're converting me to fte on the day i become eligible

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

is everyone like 'wow, redhat??' or are they like 'lol redhat "

trying to gauge future employment prospects

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
same question but ibm. would it be better to write it on my resume as "company name withheld due to NDA"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i don't really have any notion of whatt working at ibm means if you're not an EE

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Barnyard Protein posted:

which is the more terrible idea: putting a few .jar's in git, or managing a maven repository server myself. for some reason in order to get IT to install a maven repo manager to a VM and connect it to LDAP i would have to convince the division manager why we need an internal maven server, explain why the other java projects haven't requested it, and wait 3 quarters. :smith:

putting the jars in git is terrible both because git is terrible and because jars don't belong w/ source. install sonatype nexus. it will take you like 30 minutes and connecting it to ldap is easy.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
thanks shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
once you have it installed you can add the repos to your projects pom files so people are getting dependencies from the internal repos and deploying snapshots/release builds there without thinking about it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also nexus comes w/ proxies of central and other popular repos installed by default so you can point everyone internally to those proxies instead of the external repos which makes getting common dependencies faster

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh also another good idea is if you have jars from vendors who don't use maven cause their retards stuck in the 90s you can mavenize them and stick them in a 3rd party repo in nexus so people don't have to cart unmavenized jars around in source control or network shares.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
welp that vm instance was given away to another group. i feel frustrated because when i try to get poo poo done through the system it takes months or quarters, but when i just figure out how to do it myself it will be done by the afternoon. idk how to add a server with a domain name to this network tho, seems like a bad idea anyways

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

code:
This is a MINOR change.

Added:

Added:

Added:

this will gently caress you in the rear end when implementation changes without changing signatures like a stable sort function becoming unstable

...or will it not?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
at my previous job coworkers would just install stuff on their own machine and then everyone else would have to pray it didn't reboot or shut down
good times

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

how is elm so good?

you can also run elm-package bump and it will configure your versioning from your elm json configuration file and give you back the resulting differences with the new version number.

elm-package bump is just elm-package diff with a few extra features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
it would be nice if elm had more contributors and became popular but the trend says it won't, and with so much other poo poo out there for webdev...

microservices and c# mvc it is and i don't say that happily, though i do like .net mvc. facebook's whole rethinking of REST and their coming releases of APIs and IDEs is a cool "maybe"

• Locked thread