Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Eej posted:

So the new patch's AE change has made Granada a lot harder because I can no longer aggressively carve Castille up like a turkey without getting a -100 or more AE hit from Aragon and a Portugal. Rolling the coalition dice to claim Madrid and Toledo to feed to Leon is cramping my style. Maybe the safest thing to do is to form an actual contiguous state with claimable Andalusian provinces first?

I don't know what voodoo magic you're using to actually stand your ground as Granada, but it frightens me and I want you to stay away from my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Node posted:

I don't know what voodoo magic you're using to actually stand your ground as Granada, but it frightens me and I want you to stay away from my family.

After many rerolls I've finally gotten an Ironman game where Aragon and Portugal are allied, Castille is allied only to Navarre and Aragon immediately picked up the Vassalize Navarre mission so I backed that save file up and have been using the reload trick and it's the only time I'll do it because I've spent way too much of my time getting kicked in the nuts by Castille over the past week versus actually having good attempts with those specific requirements. Which of course means I gotta get this done before 1.14 comes out.

I don't like doing Exodus runs anymore because I was getting bored feeling like I was playing a BGH map from Starcraft.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dudes, with the PLC your job is: grab all West/East Slavic territories, vassalize the Southern ones and just develop the poo poo out of the major cities. That's it, you are awesome, go kick the ottomans.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

I know there are posters in the thread that are big fans of Religious and might have additional advice and opinions, I don't often take it myself. However:

-The CB is huge huge huge. If nothing else it is saving you a lot of diplomatic points and diplomat time (for claims) that you'd otherwise need.

-Unless you have enough Tolerance to fully accept Heretics/Heathens, I think Humanist is worse long-term. As Poland you can take Humanist and give zero fucks about Heretics, same for Ottomans and Heathens. However, if you expand eastward into the steppes and Asia as Poland or aggressively into Shia as Ottomans your ability to convert them will lag behind your conquest and you're unable to get them fully tolerated so there will be growing pains.

With Religious, you conquer, core, convert, lower autonomy once and put down a revolt and they will never revolt again. It's more effort short-term but you don't really need to worry about them ever again. With Humanist unless you can get +3 tolerance you'll want to convert eventually, so even though there's less revolt risk and more manpower/money (from accepted cultures) in the short to mid-term, you're putting off the pain until later. Humanist is good it just feels suboptimal if your goal is to GET HUGE.

Edit: I also just can't be assed to try and collect and maintain accepted cultures. It's a lot more efficient to engage in horrifying snake-like border gore than getting conquered cultures accepted and keeping existing ones above the threshhold.

Edit2: also, if you're making use of the overseas province coring discount to cheaply core Asia and Africa, all those provinces are going to be at 75 minimum autonomy for a long time, so Humanist isn't really going to help them contribute much more.
Regarding the bolded: My last playthrough as the Ottomans where I went Humanist first I could convert every province I conquered (even Shia, though sometimes I would need high Piety and another crutch to get the tougher ones) because:
~Common Sense's change to development made converting easier in general
~Being Pious makes converting easier
~Accepted cultures convert easier (I believe the bonus to converting from religious is +3; an unaccepted culture is -2, but it has been a while and I may be Really Wrong)
~Decisions/events/advisors

Overall: Your statement makes sense and I am definitely not trying to argue, it was simply something that I had not seen presented before as such. I may have to give it a try sometime.

edit: It does not help that I am a huge Humanism Fanboy and love all of the different bonuses, especially the Idea discount and accepted cultures because I love having accepted cultures. It is just my playstyle (I am bad).
edit2: I have actually had a hard time playing the game and having fun lately, because I know how to play optimally/know a lot of the quirks and best strategies/events that happen and that often deflates my "this would be a fun thing to do" goals and I just quit my game :sigh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 29, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The big draw of Humanism for me is the reduction in unrest and separatism. It's not that hard to just crush a revolt, but fewer uprisings means more of your army on the front lines.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

skasion posted:

How do I get Sikh gains, bros?

Get yourself converted to Hindu, then you can choose to turn Sikh in the Religions menu.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

The big draw of Humanism for me is the reduction in unrest and separatism. It's not that hard to just crush a revolt, but fewer uprisings means more of your army on the front lines.

It definitely makes for smoother conquests, you just run the risk of not being able to convert as fast as you are conquering/coring, so long term you might feel some serious growing pains.

Taking Religious means more (predictable) pain in the short term since you're converting everything ASAP.

To get kind of meta about it, depends on whether your conversion rate > conquest rate or not. Humanist smooths things out but especially after you start getting Administrative Efficiency from tech you can conquer and core really quickly. Depending on your tolerance from NIs this can be more or less of an issue.

Basically, Religious trades short term unrest for not giving a gently caress about limits on expansion while Humanist is somewhat limited on speed of their expansion by desire to maintain accepted cultures and and conversion not keeping up with conquest into non-fully-tolerated territory.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well gently caress, my Venice->Byz run got hosed over by Austria and Poland fighting the Ottomans months before I was ready to declare. Then I got a long-rear end truce and won't be able to attack them until 1469. I took the opportunity to annex Corfu and Naxos, and then conquer the Knights and Cyprus. I'll still go forward with this campaign but I'm going to be much less huge than I would have wanted.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh that's cool France, never mind that I just unallied and rivaled your rival Great Britain, unrivaled your friend Austria, and sent a diplomat to improve relations in an attempt to ally you, you just go ahead and rival me (Sweden) for no reason. Thanks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

It definitely makes for smoother conquests, you just run the risk of not being able to convert as fast as you are conquering/coring, so long term you might feel some serious growing pains.

Taking Religious means more (predictable) pain in the short term since you're converting everything ASAP.

To get kind of meta about it, depends on whether your conversion rate > conquest rate or not. Humanist smooths things out but especially after you start getting Administrative Efficiency from tech you can conquer and core really quickly. Depending on your tolerance from NIs this can be more or less of an issue.

Basically, Religious trades short term unrest for not giving a gently caress about limits on expansion while Humanist is somewhat limited on speed of their expansion by desire to maintain accepted cultures and and conversion not keeping up with conquest into non-fully-tolerated territory.

Religious also makes it more efficient for you to convert diplo points into manpower and taxes. Not to mention the -25% stability cost, holy poo poo is that good.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

It's possible! I managed to take over Japan with a Daimyo without the game forcing me to convert to Japan!

Time to paint the far east a lovely shade of orange! It's very appropriate for this time of year, I need to find a black vassal to go along with me though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

deathbagel posted:

It's possible! I managed to take over Japan with a Daimyo without the game forcing me to convert to Japan!

Time to paint the far east a lovely shade of orange! It's very appropriate for this time of year, I need to find a black vassal to go along with me though.

Form a giant custom nation later on and make it look like a carved pumpkin yw

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Form a giant custom nation later on and make it look like a carved pumpkin yw

Yes, once I get client states, Ming may become a jack-o-lantern.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bort Bortles posted:

Regarding the bolded: My last playthrough as the Ottomans where I went Humanist first I could convert every province I conquered (even Shia, though sometimes I would need high Piety and another crutch to get the tougher ones) because:
~Common Sense's change to development made converting easier in general
~Being Pious makes converting easier
~Accepted cultures convert easier (I believe the bonus to converting from religious is +3; an unaccepted culture is -2, but it has been a while and I may be Really Wrong)
~Decisions/events/advisors

Overall: Your statement makes sense and I am definitely not trying to argue, it was simply something that I had not seen presented before as such. I may have to give it a try sometime.

edit: It does not help that I am a huge Humanism Fanboy and love all of the different bonuses, especially the Idea discount and accepted cultures because I love having accepted cultures. It is just my playstyle (I am bad).
edit2: I have actually had a hard time playing the game and having fun lately, because I know how to play optimally/know a lot of the quirks and best strategies/events that happen and that often deflates my "this would be a fun thing to do" goals and I just quit my game :sigh:

The Ottomans get bonii from their NIs that go really well with Humanism though, they are the ones that probably make the most out of it. If you play as someone else on a religious frontier try Religious out.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bonuses#English

Bonii isn't even valid in Latin! It would be boni with only one i!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New dev diary includes build to army, build to navy, build in subject territory...As was said some pages ago, this is going to be the best expansion ever.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

The Ottomans get bonii from their NIs that go really well with Humanism though, they are the ones that probably make the most out of it. If you play as someone else on a religious frontier try Religious out.

Even as them at some point the accepted culture bonus becomes useless. I think the main problem is that the accepted culture threshold is hardcoded rather than relative to your total size, this inevitably makes accepted culture bonuses bad for late game. If you'd want to make the most of it you'd need to get Economic ideas for the development discount which allows you to keep cultures inside the accepted threshold for longer. Which probably rules out admin as one of your early ideas.

What I am saying is that Admin/Religious is gonna save you more MP long term than Eco/Humanist.

If you're not blobbing and somehow roleplaying humanist might still be a good idea group.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

canepazzo posted:

New dev diary includes build to army, build to navy, build in subject territory...As was said some pages ago, this is going to be the best expansion ever.

That build to army stuff holy poo poo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

When is this coming out, because I like it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tahirovic posted:

Even as them at some point the accepted culture bonus becomes useless. I think the main problem is that the accepted culture threshold is hardcoded rather than relative to your total size, this inevitably makes accepted culture bonuses bad for late game. If you'd want to make the most of it you'd need to get Economic ideas for the development discount which allows you to keep cultures inside the accepted threshold for longer. Which probably rules out admin as one of your early ideas.

If you're playing a nation with a bonus to accepted culture threshold, Humanist becomes much, much better. Certain nation/government form/idea combinations can end up with every culture accepted.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tahirovic posted:

What I am saying is that Admin/Religious is gonna save you more MP long term than Eco/Humanist.

If you're not blobbing and somehow roleplaying humanist might still be a good idea group.

It depends on what you mean by long-term and which cultures you are referring to. Compounding accepted culture threshold reductions can be pretty drat strong, and in the case of the Ottomans I'm pretty sure it's more of a matter of keeping Syrian, Serbian etc. as accepted cultures more so than it is Albanian, and it's more about keeping them in a semi-regular run where you maybe go for the Three Romes achievement rather than a world conquest.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

canepazzo posted:

"That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about espionage and the distribution of spoils in war."

:awesome:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Build to army.

Cossacks GOTY

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tendronai posted:

In more 1.14 news, Wiz announced on his twitter there'd be 25 new achievements, and five of them would be for custom nations

Blood for the Sky God: Have Nahuatl as your Syncretic faith

I'm trying to imagine the logistics of getting to the New World before the Europeans wipe out the Nahuatl and the best I can think of is being an eastern horde, hoping Ming breaks/colonizing Siberia if it's not too hard to tech and island hopping your way to the west side of Mexico.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

It depends on what you mean by long-term and which cultures you are referring to. Compounding accepted culture threshold reductions can be pretty drat strong, and in the case of the Ottomans I'm pretty sure it's more of a matter of keeping Syrian, Serbian etc. as accepted cultures more so than it is Albanian, and it's more about keeping them in a semi-regular run where you maybe go for the Three Romes achievement rather than a world conquest.

As Ottomans it is very likely you'll own most of India and the culture groups there are too small and to poor to get accepted when you're already that big. Basically the problem is that the bigger you get, the richer a culture's provinces need to be to get accepted and even with 5% which I'd say is realistic as Ottomans, you wont manage that. Even if you start as a small HRE minor you'll get to a point where cultures like Wallonian are too small to be accepted, this is even worse if you developed those provinces to keep them accepted for longer. And if you're not playing the Ottos or one of the other 4-6 nations with a accepted culture threshold NI it gets even worse.

Maybe switching back from all those tiny subcultures to culture groups would make it worthwhile but then those were split up to slow down expansion in the first place. An other alternative would be to have non-accepted cultures revolt a couple of times and then gradually switch on their own over time.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Tahirovic posted:

As Ottomans it is very likely you'll own most of India and the culture groups there are too small and to poor to get accepted when you're already that big. Basically the problem is that the bigger you get, the richer a culture's provinces need to be to get accepted and even with 5% which I'd say is realistic as Ottomans, you wont manage that. Even if you start as a small HRE minor you'll get to a point where cultures like Wallonian are too small to be accepted, this is even worse if you developed those provinces to keep them accepted for longer. And if you're not playing the Ottos or one of the other 4-6 nations with a accepted culture threshold NI it gets even worse.

Maybe switching back from all those tiny subcultures to culture groups would make it worthwhile but then those were split up to slow down expansion in the first place. An other alternative would be to have non-accepted cultures revolt a couple of times and then gradually switch on their own over time.

As the Ottos you can get
-15% from NI
-50% from Humanist
-10% from Diplo-Humanist policy
-10% from Diplo-Pluto policy (becoming a Republic is tough but it is possible)
-10% from Enlightened Despotism (and then switching back to Monarchy)
-10% from Trading in Silk

This isnt just Ottos either.

Poland, Athens, Bahamanis, Mexico (independent), and a few West African Sunni countries all have the -15% threshold in their ideas/traditions and Poland in particular is rather easy to go from Republic (to pick up Pluto) and back to Monarchy later. Athens shouldn't be too hard either assuming you get through the initial hurdle of a Greek start.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

As the Ottos you can get
-15% from NI
-50% from Humanist
-10% from Diplo-Humanist policy
-10% from Diplo-Pluto policy (becoming a Republic is tough but it is possible)
-10% from Enlightened Despotism (and then switching back to Monarchy)
-10% from Trading in Silk

This isnt just Ottos either.

Poland, Athens, Bahamanis, Mexico (independent), and a few West African Sunni countries all have the -15% threshold in their ideas/traditions and Poland in particular is rather easy to go from Republic (to pick up Pluto) and back to Monarchy later. Athens shouldn't be too hard either assuming you get through the initial hurdle of a Greek start.

This is still a minority of the tags at game start and is a rather optimal situation, there's plenty of tags that can blob and wont match those criteria.
- The Humanist policy uses up monarch points, yes you could only convert 1 province ever 3-5 years while this is active, but they'd be permanently good, not to mention in some games you'll want influence over diplo.
- Most countries will struggle to become a republic and then use a mil idea slot on pluto ideas (which are imo really good).
- Trading in silk isn't always possible either and can fluctuate trough your game.

Don't get me wrong you're ideal situation is fun, I quiet enjoyed my humanist Ottoman game but even for the Ottomans religious could be a better option, if you couple it with Admin and optionally go Orthodox.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Tahirovic posted:

This is still a minority of the tags at game start and is a rather optimal situation, there's plenty of tags that can blob and wont match those criteria.
- The Humanist policy uses up monarch points, yes you could only convert 1 province ever 3-5 years while this is active, but they'd be permanently good, not to mention in some games you'll want influence over diplo.
- Most countries will struggle to become a republic and then use a mil idea slot on pluto ideas (which are imo really good).
- Trading in silk isn't always possible either and can fluctuate trough your game.

Don't get me wrong you're ideal situation is fun, I quiet enjoyed my humanist Ottoman game but even for the Ottomans religious could be a better option, if you couple it with Admin and optionally go Orthodox.

I can definitely agree that Religious is the optimal choice for Orthodox Ottomans or really Orthodox(or Coptic) anybody

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

420 Gank Mid posted:

I can definitely agree that Religious is the optimal choice for Orthodox Ottomans or really Orthodox(or Coptic) anybody

Religious is a more powerful idea set purely on the back of the CB for the vast majority of tags. Just as Administrative is probably the strongest Admin group overall purely on the back of the coring discount. Humanist gives a lot of incidental value, but lacks the oomph that the stronger idea sets give. I still consider it a very strong idea set because all the myriad bonuses it gives combine together very well to give you a very stable Empire, but in the early to mid game, your army will suffice to keep unrest down. It's more of a late game choice in my eyes.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Hey Wiz, now that Paradox owns White Wolf, how long until we get a Vampire-based expansion for EU4?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

State of the venice->byz run

I only got to war the Ottos in 1467 due to Austria dragging me into a war with them previously. So this is my third war with them. I'm about to re-declare on the Mamluks and finish eating them up, as well.

It's almost impossible to expand into Italy. Austria has Bohemia and Hungary as unions, France is huge, and Castille-Aragon-Naples is too big to fight. Every small person is Italy is allied to one or the other.

Looks like I'm just going to continue South and East for now. I might start colonizing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Roadie posted:

Hey Wiz, now that Paradox owns White Wolf, how long until we get a Vampire-based expansion for EU4?

CK2 would be a better fit.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Never take religious unless you're like theodoro. Orthodox get 2% free from PA, plus decisions later on to get more. And if you take religious as byz well you're stupid

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

State of the venice->byz run

I only got to war the Ottos in 1467 due to Austria dragging me into a war with them previously. So this is my third war with them. I'm about to re-declare on the Mamluks and finish eating them up, as well.

It's almost impossible to expand into Italy. Austria has Bohemia and Hungary as unions, France is huge, and Castille-Aragon-Naples is too big to fight. Every small person is Italy is allied to one or the other.

Looks like I'm just going to continue South and East for now. I might start colonizing.

Expand through the papacy. I managed to get all of Italy except for savoy in my Venice to byz run by 1550.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Other than that looks good. I think his advice to vassalize both Bosnia and Serbia dumb. Make Serbia eat Bosnia or vice versa (Serbia is orthodox, bos is Catholic).

My advice otherwise is to exploit alliance chains. You are a world power now, so don't be afraid to get your hands dirty a bit. Mercs are your friends.

Get France and Poland-lit to help you pwn Austria. Unions are fragile.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Expand through the papacy. I managed to get all of Italy except for savoy in my Venice to byz run by 1550.

France is allied to the pope, and that is the popes only ally. I think I can get at only milan by attacking florence, so that's my next option after I finish these wars.

also i have pluto and admin right now. Thinking exploration next.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, I know I have to bust up Europe sometime, but it's so much simpler to just carpet siege these provinces and core them all for 20 admin since it's still overseas.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Hell, do it. More land is more European fighting power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Yep, in my Pope game, I took most of the Ottoman's land and most of North Africa before I bothered conquering most of Italy. Once you have all of the manpower and income from all of that delicious land, the super alliances seem to be only a mild annoyance. Sure any war with Austria will be a grind, but it won't be too hard when you can field 3x their army.

• Locked thread