Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

NightVis posted:

the few times i've been pushed into playing elf that's pretty much what I did and it's a lot more helpful to the party than trying to play sniper

but I guess every game's got the useless sniper style players

There are times to snipe and times not to just like any class. I blade most of the time but if the team is really getting overwhelmed I will drop back and start wave clearing with the true shot bow. DOne right that bloody thing can drop a ton of rats. Still have yet to get a half decent longbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

NightVis posted:

the few times i've been pushed into playing elf that's pretty much what I did and it's a lot more helpful to the party than trying to play sniper

but I guess every game's got the useless sniper style players

Yeah ranged weapons are best used to pick off specials and thin out swarms before they reach melee.
When one in the party engages in melee with more than a handful of rats everyone should go melee*, including Drizzt Do'lego'lass.

* conditions permitting

Lima fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 29, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Sick of pubs all they want to do is horn or black powder I wanna go through the game on Hard or nightmare!

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Lima posted:

Yeah ranged weapons are best used to pick off specials and thin out swarms before they reach melee.
When one in the party engages in melee with more than a handful of rats everyone should go melee, including Drizzt Do'lego'lass.

I don't understand why anyone would want to do anything but melee with the elf, those dual swords are pretty much a dps blender

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I feel like trolling black powder pubbie groups soon.

E:
Fun fact one well placed barrel shot is all it takes to ruin a black powder run.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 29, 2015

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Remember kids, always leave the elf on the shelf - where it belongs.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Trier posted:

This is not an emptyquote I swear

Whoever posted that banning the Elf is a smart thing to do: I love you. I banned the elf after a couple of games where we were three friends plus one rando pubbie. The pubbie was always the elf, was always useless, and hogged all the healing items. It got particularly bad as we were playing Black Powder on Hard, and the Elf player just sat on his fat rear end in that one tower with the ammo pickups, doing nothing. So, I called him a useless limp-dicked retard, and told him to pick up the barrels. He left the game.

Pretend that's my avatar, rather than Burg's old avatar

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Fanzay posted:

This is not an emptyquote I swear

Whoever posted that banning the Elf is a smart thing to do: I love you. I banned the elf after a couple of games where we were three friends plus one rando pubbie. The pubbie was always the elf, was always useless, and hogged all the healing items. It got particularly bad as we were playing Black Powder on Hard, and the Elf player just sat on his fat rear end in that one tower with the ammo pickups, doing nothing. So, I called him a useless limp-dicked retard, and told him to pick up the barrels. He left the game.

As you can see, you're not actually banning the elf, you're just saying you won't play as the elf.

And the Black Powder? The elf was doing the exploit and left after encountering people actually wanting to play the map as intended.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

If you don't wanna cheese black powder, don't, but it seems weird to get mad about/look down on people who do.

Personally I find it pretty fun - even when you have a good group and know exactly what you're doing the stool guy can get pounced or ratlinged off the stool or you can get random spawns that blow up barrels or whatever, so it's not mindless.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also just bite the bullet and play the elf, which guarantees you won't get Pugolas Do'Rando.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Can someone explain to me what the Black Powder exploit specifically consists of? I've been playing with a friend of mine, and he always runs up in some loving tower on his own and stands there shooting at the rats, somehow without being overrun, and I'm suspecting him of being a dirty cheesemeister.

Cheese is for rats, everyone. Remember what we do to rats. :commissar:

E: we really need a :commissar: with Saltzpyre and a rat. And 48 guns instead of one.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Jack the Lad posted:

If you don't wanna cheese black powder, don't, but it seems weird to get mad about/look down on people who do.

A couple of time I have no problem with. The people grinding it out so much that they are level 75-95 I do have a problem with. They all suck and can't even seem to get through a normal game let alone hard+

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Krinkle posted:

How bad should I feel that I"m level 24 and don't have a trinket and have never even come close. Like whenever I wizard's tower with two grimiores, three tomes, and a handful of cursed die there are no trinkets even on the board and whenever I roll seven naked die, trinkets are the top three options just to rub it in.

I'm about level 20 and I have only one.

It reduces ratling gun damage by 20%. Thanks, game?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Musluk posted:

Also, brace of pistols/dual wielding from elf+speed potion makes the rogre into chunky salsa sauce. You can shoot all (default) 48 flintlocks into the rogre's nethers under the effects of the speed potion and still have enough time to stab. If the speed pot is shared, you still have enough time to unload all the flintlocks, ever.
Either potion with the brace does wonders against rogres and (to a much lesser extent) grouped stormvermin. Honestly, rogre-killing is half the reason I take the pistols. A good crossbow can help against specials but that's better left to rifles or the rare elf who can land multiple headshots on moving targets. The repeater pistol is rear end, which leaves the brace being good for just dumping into a rogre. Its not great at picking off lone rats unless you get the +accuracy mod, and specials are also tricky to land enough killing shots on in a decent time because of the accuracy and damage.

On a related note, I got a blue crossbow with +zoom distance and knockdown. Is that going to be as mediocre as I think it is? I mean, ideally, everything I shoot at with that thing dies, and I've never had a problem zooming in with the default crossbow, so...stick with my green skullcracker pistols until I get something better?

vvv Yeah, few days ago I had a level 0 join on hard. Did just fine with a little prompting to avoid the Stormvermin. We cleared it without an issue.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 29, 2015

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Raged posted:

A couple of time I have no problem with. The people grinding it out so much that they are level 75-95 I do have a problem with. They all suck and can't even seem to get through a normal game let alone hard+

It makes no difference if you are in a group with someone who's level 1 and bad at the game or level 95 and bad at the game; in either case you should find a new group if it's annoying you.

Ideally play with friends or goons, as being on Mumble with your group makes the game 100x better.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

On a related note, I got a blue crossbow with +zoom distance and knockdown. Is that going to be as mediocre as I think it is? I mean, ideally, everything I shoot at with that thing dies, and I've never had a problem zooming in with the default crossbow, so...stick with my green skullcracker pistols until I get something better?

Zoom is useless, knockdown is great for difficulties where you don't 1-shot stuff.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Musluk posted:

Zoom is useless, knockdown is great for difficulties where you don't 1-shot stuff.
Yeah, but I feel like with a crossbow I should just leave that to people who DO have the ability to one-shot. Eh, could be worse I suppose. Is there a way to pick which upgrade I want to unlock so I can just grab knockdown? Might as well have it in case I get matched with a group of people that's completely lacking a rifle or something. I'm still all poor so I'm trying to be picky with my upgrade choices.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just jumped into a Cata run on Horn and started dead. One player is alive at the gunpowder and is running around with unlimited ammo and all the rats are ignoring him. WTF

If I get a bomb and revived I am nuking this team.

EDIT: He is invulnerable......

M3f1st0

Raged fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 29, 2015

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
This game is fun but it is unbelievably undercooked. I want to like it but it's hard when you'll be walking through a tight corridor and a group of rats will drop down and surround you, blocking you from moving before their models have actually even touched the ground. Or you'll be holding a swarm at bay and a catcher will snag you and drag you away, clipping through the rat swarm with ease. Or a rat ogre spawns during the intro. Just countless things that absolutely should have been fixed before beta ended.

The core gameplay is fun, the voice acting and writing is really good, setting is awesome, but the programming and tuning is beyond garbage.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Trier posted:

The only time i'm tempted to play elf is when im trolling Blackpowder cheaters. Silent arrow in to the barrel.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, but I feel like with a crossbow I should just leave that to people who DO have the ability to one-shot. Eh, could be worse I suppose. Is there a way to pick which upgrade I want to unlock so I can just grab knockdown? Might as well have it in case I get matched with a group of people that's completely lacking a rifle or something. I'm still all poor so I'm trying to be picky with my upgrade choices.

Thing is, you mostly can one-shot stuff on nightmare/cata with a headshot. If you miss the headshot due to moving targets or people bumping into you, the knockdown is still hella useful. And yeah, you can pick which upgrade you want by clicking on that upgrade's icon in the forge before upgrading.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Trier posted:

Can someone explain to me what the Black Powder exploit specifically consists of? I've been playing with a friend of mine, and he always runs up in some loving tower on his own and stands there shooting at the rats, somehow without being overrun, and I'm suspecting him of being a dirty cheesemeister.

Cheese is for rats, everyone. Remember what we do to rats. :commissar:

E: we really need a :commissar: with Saltzpyre and a rat. And 48 guns instead of one.
He is 100% doing the cheese. The exploit is standing on a stool on the top of that tower, which completely breaks the rats' pathfinding and they will never work out how to get you, leaving the team to run the barrels and only have to worry about specials which are just Handgun fodder without clanrats/stormvermin around.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
How do I use Slatzpyre's rapier gun? I cant find it in key bindings.

Trier posted:

I would love to see that replaced with Saltzpyre shooting the elf.

:vermintide:

E2:
I have been trolling blackpowder all day and it feels good.

PRO TIPS: Hold a barrel and run around refusing to throw it into the ship. If they start a kick run as fast as you can into a big swarm of rats and throw it at them.

Shoot a barrel and throw it into a bunch of them or shoot a barrel in their little nestegg of like 5 barrels.

If you're on the stool jump! Jump! Jump! It'll make rats go crazy.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 29, 2015

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Metos posted:

He is 100% doing the cheese.

Time to have some polite words with this guy. :tbear:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

they will eventually patch it out, enjoy dodging some of the loot grind because once its patched you can then play the game "for real" to your hearts content and have gotten to shortcut part of the loot treadmill

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Al Borland posted:

How do I use Slatzpyre's rapier gun? I cant find it in key bindings.
Mouse's first extra button, generally the one set to browser Back by default. Its right below the regular attack and alternate attack bindings, possibly called 'special attack' or something like that I don't recall exactly, but if you can't work out the pattern of something bound to mouse1, something bound to mouse2, then one more then you can always play the elf instead.

Metos fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 29, 2015

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they will eventually patch it out, enjoy dodging some of the loot grind because once its patched you can then play the game "for real" to your hearts content and have gotten to shortcut part of the loot treadmill

I wanna play the game for real NOW, I was wondering why people were complaining about Black Powder, I've been missing out on the fun because of this guy.

Plus, it's an honor thing, cheaters are scum out of principle.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Trier posted:

I wanna play the game for real NOW, I was wondering why people were complaining about Black Powder, I've been missing out on the fun because of this guy.

Plus, it's an honor thing, cheaters are scum out of principle.

bruh its a video game

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Metos posted:

Mouse's first extra button, generally the one set to browser Back by default. Its right below the regular attack and alternate attack bindings, possibly called 'special attack' or something like that I don't recall exactly, but if you can't work out the pattern of something bound to mouse1, something bound to mouse2, then one more then you can always play the elf instead.

I don't have a mouse button like that:(

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

WoodrowSkillson posted:

bruh its a video game

And a fun one, which is why I don't wanna skip playing it.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

WoodrowSkillson posted:

bruh its a video game
bruh the only endgame thing it has is loot, why rocket yourself immediately up there and then have nothing to work towards as you slowly realise there's no point to doing the other maps because you've removed the incentive to play risky with grimoires and have fun tense fights.

Al Borland posted:

That's why I told you where it is in the bindings! I bound it to F as you don't need the forge hotkey while in the game.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Al Borland posted:

So rebind it to a keyboard button?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

But Not Tonight posted:

that looks similar to the sound bug error report I was getting, does it happen when a horn blows on Engines of War?

anyway, if you leave the error window open you can continue playing albeit without sound

I know this is from bunch of pages ago, but thanks for responding. I was able to get things working by verifying game cache, and optimizing my settings in GeForce Experience. Great game and I'm level 3 now. Thanks for reading!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Metos posted:

bruh the only endgame thing it has is loot, why rocket yourself immediately up there and then have nothing to work towards as you slowly realise there's no point to doing the other maps because you've removed the incentive to play risky with grimoires and have fun tense fights.

That's why I told you where it is in the bindings! I bound it to F as you don't need the forge hotkey while in the game.

the game is plenty fun without the stress of grimoires and the return on investment involved with them is pretty garbage.

peopel still play l4d, the gameplay style is fun on its own, the added loot grind is mostly a poor addition and being able to shortcut it is probably a net benefit to everyone

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
The fact that you call it a "loot grind" tells me everything about your way of having fun.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Trier posted:

The fact that you call it a "loot grind" tells me everything about your way of having fun.

enlighten me

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

So rebind it to a keyboard button?

Fun fact the button doesnt show up in rebind unless you are on saltzpyre himself. :v: Which explains why I couldnt find it.

E:
So as far as trolling went I made one french guy reallly really mad and he tried to keep teamkilling me so I just ran ahead and started the event so they couldnt do their stool poo poo every time.

Worked like a charm.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Musluk posted:

As you can see, you're not actually banning the elf, you're just saying you won't play as the elf.

And the Black Powder? The elf was doing the exploit and left after encountering people actually wanting to play the map as intended.

noo don't break my heart

but the point still stands. gently caress elves. Also the exploit patently wasn't working, because we were loving swarmed by clanrats and stormvermin.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Trier posted:

Yeah I see it as more of an incentive to play around. I spent the first 20ish levels playing mainly bright wizard, then I got an orange axe+shield and figured I'd try em out and changed over to the dwarf and actually had a rocking great time. Then an orange 2h sword with healing dropped for me for Kruber and I've changed over there and am having a blast chopping rats in half with half-charged attacks.

I'm not sitting there endlessly running BP to have the best BW gear and obsessing over it having the best modifiers and everything else is a waste of time. Same as I'd rather fight out Horn every time on Nightmare because that's what the point of it is, a tense 'will we actually make it out alive?' section where everything before it has just been the buildup and the stakes. "I just want to get out with my loot" is a lovely excuse for being afraid of experiencing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Amen! Bash rats have a good time.

• Locked thread