Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Yeah, the pine trees growing between the tracks are a good indicator of the last time that rail siding was used. I'd blast through that at 60mph without batting an eyelash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Yeah, the pine trees growing between the tracks are a good indicator of the last time that rail siding was used. I'd blast through that at 60mph without batting an eyelash.

You can also tell because all the flashing lights have been aimed at the ground, for being an abandoned track, the crossing appears to be in great condition. . . There is a 14 track crossing in my town that was reworked a couple years with the same type of concrete blocks, today my coworkers call it the spine crusher.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just had a fuckstick in a nissan merge into my lane because he realized he was going to behind a dumptruck at a light. No look, no signal, just went. So I lay on the horn and the gently caress brakechecks me. Previously he had been riding my rear end for a while so I guess he was in a hurry, hope he crashes into something soon.

Really made me realize how leaving space and watching for stupidity like this is important because most likely he would have just merged into me if I was up a little more or not paying attention.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Crotch Fruit posted:

You can also tell because all the flashing lights have been aimed at the ground, for being an abandoned track, the crossing appears to be in great condition. . . There is a 14 track crossing in my town that was reworked a couple years with the same type of concrete blocks, today my coworkers call it the spine crusher.

Those concrete panels were made by my company; crossings are kind of my thing. We build our panels to suit the track up to 1/8" below the top of the rail, but we can only cover flat up to a 10'-0" tie. The rest of the crossing depends on how far the contractor cut back to re-grade the roadway, ideally the driving surface is graded no more than 3" below or 1" above the elevation of the rail, 30' out from the track.

In areas with high-speed, banked curves or with multiple tracks, you'll have no choice but to slow down. The driving surface across multiple sets of panels will depend on how well the railroad can tamp up each track in relation to each other. Our panels are designed to lift out for resurfacing, but I bet 14 sets tracks would take nearly 2 weeks

All railroad crossings are not alike, even with top of the line crossing materials it really depends on the territory and track geometry. Some you can take at 100 and some you'll still have to crawl over.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GssvNBPB3A0

NoWake fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 27, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There is a crossing on a highway I drive occasionally that if you don't slow down a lot you will have a bad time. It's near a town and an interchange but the speed limit is still like 55 there. No extra warning signs or anything. Just a lot of gouges in the pavement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

There's a busy rail line I have to drive over to get to work, it's a bog standard two lane road crossing. The line owners have to come out every year to smooth it over because it just refuses to stop settling.. either the asphalt pushes up or the rails sink and it turns into a 5mph creeper crossing.

Been driving over it for 14 years now too.. either they aren't willing to invest in fixing it permanently or it's actually unfixable (considering how much of the surrounding area is former wetlands this might be true).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some of the rail crossings here, if you do slow down, you'll miss the landing ramp or fall into a hole.

Flooring it is a safer strategy.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I almost got killed by some fuckhead in a rented van tonight :sigh: Yes please try and race some other rear end in a top hat in a powerful audi around three lanes of rush hour traffic, then cut across all of those lanes without indicating because the line in the right lane was one car shorter than the one in the left lane. No don't worry, I got dem Brembos, I'll be fine.

And this morning, some tourist was so distracted by our city's fine landmarks that he tried to merge into me/force me into a bunch of cyclists. What is it about today?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was waiting to cross a side street, but this time at an intersection with traffic lights. I was waiting for the walk signal and across the narrow two lane street was a couple of other people. I could see a BMW starting to edge through the red light to make a left onto this street, planning to make his own left turn signal. Light changes and I start to cross, the other two people start from their side. The BMW jumps the light to make his left, cutting off the oncoming motorists who'd been waiting for green on the other side of the intersection.

He guns it to blast through the intersection, brakes for a millisecond because pedestrians are crossing and then he guns it again and shoots between me and the people crossing from the other side, almost killing all three of us. Tears off down the street.

I hate people. Until they actually kill someone they couldn't care less. Hell, they might not even care after they kill someone if it saves them waiting fifteen seconds.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 28, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yesterday on my way to the gym I'm on a ramp interchange from the interstate to a beltway. The lane I'm in turns into an exit-only lane which conveniently is the one I'm taking. It's rush hour and the beltway itself is heavily congested but the exit-only lane isn't so I just maintain my speed. Some fuckass in a new maroon Dart going about half as fast as I am pulls into my lane just in front of me and I had to swerve around him at slalom speed, just missing him. If there'd been a guardrail, I'd definitely have crunched into it.

Luckily it's a decent-sized shoulder with rumble strips so I just got some angry bees for a second. I laid on my horn the whole time as soon as I saw him moving over...then I notice when I'm past him that he has his left turn signal on, as if he's going to merge back into traffic. He doesn't. He stays behind me all the way to the light at the end of the offramp. When it turns green, I go left, and with his left turn signal on the entiiiiiire time, he takes...a right.

:sigh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn Illinois drivers man. Clear weather, dry pavement, they blaze around 10-20 mph over the speed limit, no fucks given. Neighborhood? Good place to drive 40. Open road posted 45 mph? 60 mph all day long. Highway? If you aren't going 75+ you're a speedbump.

But as soon as a raindrop hits asphalt it's 5-10 below the posted speed limit. gently caress you, just drive normal, your tires still have some grip. :argh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

But as soon as a raindrop hits asphalt it's 5-10 below the posted speed limit. gently caress you, just drive normal, your tires still have some grip. :argh:

15-25 mph under at the first flakes of snow, back to normal once a few inches drop, 15-25 mph under if it snows again after a few weeks of clear roads as if you just forgot weeks' of poor weather driving.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Goddamn Illinois drivers man. Clear weather, dry pavement, they blaze around 10-20 mph over the speed limit, no fucks given. Neighborhood? Good place to drive 40. Open road posted 45 mph? 60 mph all day long. Highway? If you aren't going 75+ you're a speedbump.

Last night it was sprinkling lightly at 55*. I poo poo you not there were at least three cars crawling at 15MPH in a 35 riding their brakes with their highs and hazards on along a 10 mile stretch that I was on looking absolutely terrified of the world around them.

While I was doing 40-45 on a motorcycle with tires that could use a replace soon and having no problems with grip.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was using a crosswalk last night and some guy in an SUV came to a screeching halt about two feet from hitting me. He was entirely past the stop sign before he even started slowing down so I leapt backward in alarm as the idiot didn't even look like he was going to stop. I don't know what the hurry was, there was no one behind me and the light about 10 seconds further down was red anyway. I just pointed the the crosswalk and stop sign; the passenger smiled and waved. I was so shaken I wasn't even mad at the time, sure am pissed now though.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
A section of the highway I commute on is turning the left shoulder into a new lane, so the normally straight lanes swerve a bit when entering or exiting that section. The swerve is pretty sharp and abrupt on exit which is terrible in itself; it's almost as much as a full lane change. A lot of cars in front of me today didn't notice the swerve and so they all basically made unintentional lane changes.

The real terrible thing was that a bunch of people in the far left lane ended up driving on the left shoulder and were so oblivious that they kept going for miles, kicking up all these rocks and debris that pelted me and everyone behind them in adjacent lanes. These guys seriously did not notice the solid yellow line to their right along with all the scrap metal and plastic that they were running over. One guy kept going for like 5 miles before finally settling on hogging the (real) left lane like a normal idiot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Passed a guy in a Jeep who was obviously more interested in something other than driving. About 45 seconds later I see him in the rearview mirror drifting off the roadway, swerve back on, get two wheels into the air and land it back down. :golfclap:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
This morning, I saw TWO different cars going the wrong way down a divided highway. 2 different cars on 2 different highways.

I really need a dashcam/gopro thing for my motorbike that i can easily keep power to when running.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
See, I was in Beloit, WI for work a couple months ago and the road outside the hotel was a divided road with numerous DO NOT ENTER and WRONG WAY and ONE-WAY ONLY signs and I thought "this has to be overkill". Guess not!

The road also had numerous signs declaring where the left turn lanes began, even though they were painfully obvious because of the nature of a divided road. I can only guess to help you avoid hitting a curb when it snows, but now I'm not so sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should put one way spikes into onramps. I don't know if it'll prevent idiots from driving the wrong way, I mean if they're that stupid flat tires aren't going to stop them, but at least it'll hit them in the wallet when it comes time for repairs.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

They should put one way spikes into onramps. I don't know if it'll prevent idiots from driving the wrong way, I mean if they're that stupid flat tires aren't going to stop them, but at least it'll hit them in the wallet when it comes time for repairs.

I agree with the concept, but it wont stop drunks. My dad was a cop and "pulled over" a car that was at a complete stop, front grill butted up against a tree, with rear tires spinning in the mud. Driver was in the seat, car was in gear, and the man was very shocked that he thought he was still driving down the road but a cop was somehow rapping his knuckles on the car window. Guy went to the hospital, then detox, then jail.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah, as soon as you do something to stop idiots the universe creates a better idiot.

But the numbers would be better, right? :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlieWhiskey posted:

My dad was a cop and "pulled over" a car that was at a complete stop, front grill butted up against a tree, with rear tires spinning in the mud. Driver was in the seat, car was in gear, and the man was very shocked that he thought he was still driving down the road but a cop was somehow rapping his knuckles on the car window. Guy went to the hospital, then detox, then jail.

My brother once witnessed a drunk woman plow into a telephone pole with enough force to eject the engine and transaxle out of the engine compartment and onto the pavement. She got out of the car, observed the damage and when someone told her they'd dialed 911 she got back into the car and tried to start it again to drive away.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nitrogen posted:

This morning, I saw TWO different cars going the wrong way down a divided highway. 2 different cars on 2 different highways.

I really need a dashcam/gopro thing for my motorbike that i can easily keep power to when running.

How's russia this time of year?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

There's also the "but emergency vehicles might need to use it" angle.

Retractable bollards, everywhere.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

nm posted:

How's russia this time of year?

s/russia/texas/

It's lovely! It'll be nice till January when it gets cold finally.

Strangely enough, The DFW area is a lot less stupid toward motorcyclists than many other areas, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wish there was a picture to accompany this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That would suck a lot to run over if you weren't paying attention.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately I've seen a LOT of beat up (and some nice) vehicles with drat near bald tires driving near me. They're usually easy to spot though, because like you said, they're going 10-15 under in the rain or snow, or go way too fast and lose control because of a combo of stupid driving and bad tires. I still love seeing SUVs and 4WD trucks stuck in the ditches or wiped out on the side of the road during winter, always a guarantee of some clown with no understanding of physics going balls-out on an ice covered road and losing the battle of human vs. nature.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's also the "but emergency vehicles might need to use it" angle.

Retractable bollards, everywhere.

I think you mean "equip all emergency vehicles with treads."

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

This is 100% dead nuts accurate. Every. loving. Year.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nitrogen posted:

So, like, what? 40? Do you stock up on bread and milk if it's about to dip below freezing?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Yes. Nobody worries too much about overnight freezes, but if daytime temps are predicted to be below freezing, people hit the grocery stores like hurricane Katrina has come back to life.

And the once-every-few-years we get actual winter weather (a dusting of snow or a couple hours of freezing rain)? Woah boy - stay the hell off the roads. The craziest poo poo you've ever seen is about to go down.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

nitrogen posted:

s/russia/texas/

Strangely enough, The DFW area is a lot less stupid toward motorcyclists than many other areas, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

Hi DFW Buddy! During the freeze in March this year I was in Oklahoma for work - snow everywhere, daytime temps in the single digits, and SNOW PLOWS on the highway. I was very confused about why no one was answering when I called the office, until my boss told me that they were closed for the weather.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what really bugs me about winter driving. I'm super comfortable dealing with ice and snow, I even find it fun. But if it's snowing I just stay at home because I don't want to deal with all the shitbirds that should have stayed at home.

If the roads were empty? I'd be tearing up and down the place having a ball.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Yeah, we don't get actual winter down here and are completely unprepared for driving in that mess. Winter tires are not a thing we worry about.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I have a Jeep and love driving in the snow but I work from home literally every time there's snow on the roads because I don't trust anyone else for a second, and I will for sure end up sitting in a two hour gridlock to travel 8 miles home, so why even bother.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I was parked off to the side of a gas station parking lot putting air in my tires, and got backed in to by a kid in an SUV pulling out of a parking spot. He hit me in the exact same spot I got hit a few years ago by another person in a parking lot. I guess my rear drivers side door is invisible to people trying to maneuver in a parking lot. Luckily, I wasn't trying to flll the rear tire, or he would have pinned me against the car. On the up side, he felt bad about it and handed over insurance information right away. My E90 might be getting that door replaced for the second time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I really hope the replies were just a bunch of people asking what axle it was. "If it's a 60, I'll clear that up for you. Oh, it's a C-clip 35? Yeah, go gently caress yourselves."

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
When entering the motorway on my way home some chav in a saxo decided that I wasn't allowed to merge in front of him. So he floored it to crawl into the kooiaap on the back of an HGV.

Fine be that way. I slowed down and merged behind him. However Barry McChav didn't back off from the HGV. So to the annoyance of the trucker behind me I decided to slow a few kph to create a safety zone, maybe 75 metres long.

Turns out that was a good idea, as someone in front of the HGV did something that caused the HGV to drop every anchor onboard.

I have to say for something that weighs 45 tonnes those HGVs do loving stop quickly.
I stomped the brakes as hard as I could, yay for ABS. The lorry behind me turned out to be empty and out braked me hard.

The chav's saxo ended up with the bonnet wedged under the kooiaap and looked pretty much totalled.

Cops were called, and when they showed up Barry McChav got a ticket and 2 points on his license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What does "kooiaap" mean? It looks Finnish!