Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

It must be bugged then because I've definitely experienced mismatches (like being Kruber and seeing the whole world on fire).

e: Actually I'm pretty sure you're wrong anyway because the different illusions are not the same geographically. It wouldn't work. People would be walking on air or into invisible walls from other player's perspectives.

What you're saying is incorrect. Each player sees something different and that is why it's such a cool level. All the illusions have the same geometry. Where Kruber sees a house, Kerillian sees a large rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The issue I have with the BP exploit isn't that people are grinding out high level loot. That's fine personally I think it takes away from the fun but it's a personal thing. The issue I have is that now all these pubbies who only know how to exploit that one thing have really high levels like they've been playing through the game at higher difficulties but when they join anything over normal they completely fall apart. Levels you could use to gauge someone before a match started if they had ever done high difficulties but now you have to wait to see if they're a massive gently caress up in game which is a waste of everyone's time involved

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I find that the best group mix is that everyone equip wide area attack melee weapons and anti-special single-shot armor-piercing high-damage at long distance ranged weapons. Even better if at least one or two characters has a melee weapon that does both wide area attack and armor-piercing single attack damage.

Basically everyone needs to be able to completely stand on their own and clear out swathes of rats by themselves, but be able to help out another team mate quickly take down Stormvermin when they are mixed into the swarm.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty easy to spot when a group is going to get dunked or not. Ask them to stick together, and when you hit your first horde/ambush take a look at what they do. If you end up naturally creating a murderball things will probably go smoothly. If they're all over the loving place, press ESC and move on ;).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

DeathSandwich posted:

That poo poo burned me out and ruined the game for me.

This. I'm not saying everyone is going to do it, of course; but most of the time the circle "I'm going to run a repetitive/exploitative task to get endgame stuff" and the circle "I'm going to flood the official forums with <this crap has no endgame content> posts" are almost entirely intersecting. This in turn forces the devs to either suck it or to change their development plan to accomodate such pricks (the ones complaining about "no endgame content", I mean). This has an effect on me, cause the new content now forces you to have a certain level of gear progression to be done. And it's just a never ending cycle. Granted, we don't know how Fatshark is going to handle this kind of pressure; but they've been very receptive so far...so I'm a bit scared about the possible implications.

tl;dr: I don't want this game to go from "L4D with some nifty char progression" to "you have to have 2k gear score to do this mission".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dezztroy posted:

What you're saying is incorrect. Each player sees something different and that is why it's such a cool level. All the illusions have the same geometry. Where Kruber sees a house, Kerillian sees a large rock.

Maybe you're right and I'm the bozo. It really didn't look that way but I haven't run it extensively or anything. I'll check it out more next time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah, perhaps it's just flashbacks to payday but any time you play a game with the single explicit reason to get gear to play "more" of the game you are going to have a bad time. It's not even like you are unlocking new content, like you would in an MMO. They are literally the same levels, just with higher damage rats and less health potions. The only thing you get for beating all the levels on cataclysm is bragging rights. It isn't about e-honor as much as exploiting being boring and cutting yourself out of a natural progression of fun and difficulty

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
Yeah I'm sure they are really feeling that relentless pressure to turn their coop pve game into some sort of mmorpg-lite with "endgame content"

Hope you can resist Fatshark! :ohdear:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

rezatahs posted:

Yeah I'm sure they are really feeling that relentless pressure to turn their coop pve game into some sort of mmorpg-lite with "endgame content"

Hope you can resist Fatshark! :ohdear:

They have already said that the first major DLC will be about "endgame content". But they also repeatedly said that a major design goal is not to make high end loot mandatory. So who knows.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The issue I have with the BP exploit isn't that people are grinding out high level loot. That's fine personally I think it takes away from the fun but it's a personal thing. The issue I have is that now all these pubbies who only know how to exploit that one thing have really high levels like they've been playing through the game at higher difficulties but when they join anything over normal they completely fall apart. Levels you could use to gauge someone before a match started if they had ever done high difficulties but now you have to wait to see if they're a massive gently caress up in game which is a waste of everyone's time involved

all I see here is just "don't play with pubbies"

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I hope endgame content is purely cosmetic. Like different hats, suits of armor, and alternate orange equipment designs.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, perhaps it's just flashbacks to payday but any time you play a game with the single explicit reason to get gear to play "more" of the game you are going to have a bad time. It's not even like you are unlocking new content, like you would in an MMO. They are literally the same levels, just with higher damage rats and less health potions. The only thing you get for beating all the levels on cataclysm is bragging rights. It isn't about e-honor as much as exploiting being boring and cutting yourself out of a natural progression of fun and difficulty

Eh, it's not even that in my opinion. I mean, playing Nightmare+ is completely different than playing Hard-, so I consider it extra content. As someone else has said, games without progression are fun to play nonetheless. The problem is the (ridiculously large number of) people that, as soon as there's an item/level progression, have to have the l33test item/level; do anything to get it; then complain that the game is over.

Usually there's only a (vocal) minority who gets at that level, cause it requires a certain amount of skill/time. In this case, well, not so much (IE: I can be an average player and get full orange loot by playing BP exploit a couple of hours per evening...in 2 weeks? Maybe less if I'm lucky).

And as said, this massive exploit usage influences me, average joe, cause:
A) It makes more difficult to play those maps legit;
B) It's probably going to influence future content release (both in type of content or in "entry level" difficulty).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 29, 2015

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

e: Actually I'm pretty sure you're wrong anyway because the different illusions are not the same geographically. It wouldn't work. People would be walking on air or into invisible walls from other player's perspectives.

The group I play with has told me I was floating while they were clipped into a log on my screen, at least back in beta.
:fatshark: could use a :dice:

e: Specifically in one of the corners, the large stuff is all the same just different things.

thejacob fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 29, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CountingWizard posted:

I hope endgame content is purely cosmetic. Like different hats, suits of armor, and alternate orange equipment designs.

They've already said that the first free DLC will include red weapons and most orange-level gear has 60% more damage when compared to white level gear (at least visually on their little bars) so I doubt this will be the case.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

thejacob posted:

The group I play with has told me I was floating while they were clipped into a log on my screen, at least back in beta.
:fatshark: could use a :dice:

e: Specifically in one of the corners, the large stuff is all the same just different things.

Yeah Kerillian gets a log near the infinite ammo pool that others can't see or interact, which allows her to float in the air. Otherwise though the layout is the same for everyone. I think I posted them before, but here they are anyway:

Bright Wizard
Dorf
Elf
WH (my idiot friend plays with 120 FoV apparently)
Souljaboi

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
None of those look like any of the illusions I've seen in that level. I've only played Bardin in that level, but I always see a blasted wasteland, a deep canyon with a narrow bridge over it, and a tall tower at the end. I always presumed that was the aboveground portion of the hold Bardin was looking for.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Coolguye posted:

None of those look like any of the illusions I've seen in that level. I've only played Bardin in that level, but I always see a blasted wasteland, a deep canyon with a narrow bridge over it, and a tall tower at the end. I always presumed that was the aboveground portion of the hold Bardin was looking for.

That place has the wrong number of suns, so I've no idea where it is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Coolguye posted:

You're not in the right part of the map. This is the room with the rope you cut. As you can see in the screen shots.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Musluk posted:

Yeah Kerillian gets a log near the infinite ammo pool that others can't see or interact, which allows her to float in the air. Otherwise though the layout is the same for everyone. I think I posted them before, but here they are anyway:

Bright Wizard
Dorf
Elf
WH (my idiot friend plays with 120 FoV apparently)
Souljaboi

Oh, weird, it's the break the chain gate room that is supposed to be different for each player? I always play WH and apparently I've only ever seen the dwarf room.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Coolguye posted:

I've seen the dwarf one, but I thought it was just a massive treasure room. I always see the blasted wasteland, a deep canyon w/bridge, and tower at the end. Where is the illusion in sequence of events? Because I was thinking it starts where you are teleported to a different realm.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Saint Freak posted:

You're not in the right part of the map. This is the room with the rope you cut. As you can see in the screen shots.

Oh THAT place. That makes substantially more sense.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CountingWizard posted:

I've seen the dwarf one, but I thought it was just a massive treasure room. I always see the blasted wasteland, a deep canyon w/bridge, and tower at the end. Where is the illusion in sequence of events? Because I was thinking it starts where you are teleported to a different realm.

YEa i got the same thing as the elf.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CountingWizard posted:

Saint Freak posted:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So one of the things I like about this game is the different size of the characters. I didn't realize it until I switched from dwarf to soldier, but your perspective changes base on character height. When playing as a dwarf, the rats are right in your face and you're almost swinging up at them. As a soldier they're about waist high and you're kind of swinging down. I know it's not much but I think it's a cool detail.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The different vision per character makes sense since I once was playing the Bright Wizard and saw the burning village.

The soldier was choking up and asking if we could just relax in the place where we were.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

This game uses vertical FOV, right?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah. I think 100 horizontal is like 77-ish vertical, at least on 16:10.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Chomp8645 posted:

I have seen this exact thing happen, where the elf was standing on a tree trunk that I as the dwarf I could not see, as I was seeing a castle full of gold.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Skandranon posted:

I have seen this exact thing happen, where the elf was standing on a tree trunk that I as the dwarf I could not see, as I was seeing a castle full of gold.

I guess I assumed it couldn't be that way because it wouldn't work. Turns out it is that way but also doesn't work! :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Actually I guess maybe it does work, the whole thing is an illusion anyway so why can't people stand in mid air or whatever?

A wizard did it!

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
So, playing in Nightmare. A hooker grabs one of your friends. There are dozens of rats between you and your swiftly dying teammate. You've got no shot. If the hook rat gets away, he's sure to do it again. What do you do?

Shoot the hostage:commissar:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

You throw a bomb and let Sigmar set the goods and the bads apart.

Your friend is the bad.

It is the elf, isn't it?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Gimnbo posted:

Yeah. I think 100 horizontal is like 77-ish vertical, at least on 16:10.

http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

This works just fine, I just wanted to make sure it was right.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

That Italian Guy posted:

It is the elf, isn't it?

Yes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Inside Out Mom posted:

So one of the things I like about this game is the different size of the characters. I didn't realize it until I switched from dwarf to soldier, but your perspective changes base on character height. When playing as a dwarf, the rats are right in your face and you're almost swinging up at them. As a soldier they're about waist high and you're kind of swinging down. I know it's not much but I think it's a cool detail.

It also makes it easy for Kruber to swing over Bardin's head with a two-hander while Bardin tanks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The non-hitscan weapons seem incredibly way worse than the hitscan weapons in this game. Is there really any reason to use any of the bows or crossbows?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Lemming posted:

The non-hitscan weapons seem incredibly way worse than the hitscan weapons in this game. Is there really any reason to use any of the bows or crossbows?

Because you have no choice as Witch Hunter or Elf?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skandranon posted:

Because you have no choice as Witch Hunter or Elf?

Isn't the elf the only one who doesn't have any alternatives? Anyway I'm wondering because it also seems like a weird design choice to make certain weapons be flat out worse, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Lemming posted:

Isn't the elf the only one who doesn't have any alternatives? Anyway I'm wondering because it also seems like a weird design choice to make certain weapons be flat out worse, so maybe I'm just missing something.

If you want to be special sniping as WH, you need to use the Crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The crossbows reload noticeably faster than the handguns and the bolt moves really quick, you don't have to lead much.

• Locked thread