Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was that CNBC's first time hosting the debate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Was that CNBC's first time hosting the debate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvmKnFY4uk

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
c'mon you guys, it was CNBC's first day. and their dad just died!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well they hosed it up majorly and completely let the candidates get away with terrible answers to substantive questions. Ben Carson utterly failing to defend his disaster of a tax plan is not a loving gotcha arithmetic word problem outta nowhere. Thanks again, American journalism.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Well they hosed it up majorly and completely let the candidates get away with terrible answers to substantive questions. Ben Carson utterly failing to defend his disaster of a tax plan is not a loving gotcha arithmetic word problem outta nowhere. Thanks again, American journalism.

Ben Carson isn't going to need journalists to make him look like a fool.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I did not know that Ryan was once a waiter at the Tortilla Coast. That's hilarious.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I'm still new to watching debates, but.is a moderator actually pointing to the fact that a candidate is wrong or lied showing bias?

Like when Carson said, " I did speeches for them, use their product and recommend their product, but no I have no relationship with them." Shouldn't a mod be able to just ask "How is that possible at all?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OxySnake posted:

I'm still new to watching debates, but.is a moderator actually pointing to the fact that a candidate is wrong or lied showing bias?

Like when Carson said, " I did speeches for them, use their product and recommend their product, but no I have no relationship with them." Shouldn't a mod be able to just ask "How is that possible at all?"

When Candy Crowley called out a blatant lie from Romney last cycle, conservatives lost their goddamn minds over it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

OxySnake posted:

You'd think that but Republican politics don't even exist in the same dimension as the rest of us.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a new viral video going around of a student gigantic black man awkwardly wrestling his teacher and pushing him over slamming a 62 year old man to the ground in his class for taking his phone. Expect to see this on Fox news, proving that law enforcement is correct to slam black youths and you are the real reverse racist for claiming otherwise.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Was anyone else last night trying to figure out if Trump had a prepared closing statement or if he just made it up on the spot? I honestly can't tell anymore.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm thoroughly convinced Bush swinging and missing at the debates last night was the end of his campaign. The media narrative has turned against him and will scare away whatever donors he has left.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Venom Snake posted:

If it looks like Paul is going to start winning then the Dems should start voting for him and watch the HFC suddenly start changing all their votes lol

Which law did that happen with again? That poo poo was hilarious.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Ayn Rand-loving, cool-youth-Republican, serious-numbers-guy Paul Ryan is now Speaker of the House. What is this stupid loving country?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

When Candy Crowley called out a blatant lie from Romney last cycle, conservatives lost their goddamn minds over it.

So many fond memories of the rise of the Trollbama.

"Please proceed governor."

And yeah, when a candidate denies a quote, you wave a quote in a candidate's face taken from their own campaign website, and no one bats an eye, you're living in a world where facts literally don't matter. It isn't enough for something to be correct, everyone has to agree that it's correct.

I still think the moderators should have literally begun saying that the candidates were flat out lying, since they were already clearly blacklisted for asking Gotcha Questions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Combed Thunderclap posted:

So many fond memories of the rise of the Trollbama.

"Please proceed governor."

And yeah, when a candidate denies a quote, you wave a quote in a candidate's face taken from their own campaign website, and no one bats an eye, you're living in a world where facts literally don't matter. It isn't enough for something to be correct, everyone has to agree that it's correct.

I still think the moderators should have literally begun saying that the candidates were flat out lying, since they were already clearly blacklisted for asking Gotcha Questions.

The national political press corps is completely cowed by threats of diminished access so politicians can do and say what they want pretty much.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Ayn Rand-loving, cool-youth-Republican, serious-numbers-guy Paul Ryan is now Speaker of the House. What is this stupid loving country?

Look at it this way: this is the beginning of the end of Paul Ryan ever being taken seriously again, even within his own party.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Look what happened to his predecessor.

^ yeah exactly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Hell, you shoulda seen the guy they had before him.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There was just something funny about him reading "only standing here now do I understand the House and the American people" from a written speech.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

The national political press corps is completely cowed by threats of diminished access so politicians can do and say what they want pretty much.

I actually think it is worse than that. I think people trust campaigns and social media more than the media, and it is in the interest of campaigns to gang up against the media. The media is completely at the whim of the consumer, and if they give the people news they don't want to hear, well why keep using that news source?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Ryan already hosed up, he didn't ask for the resolution to be numbered before he had it read. Tsk loving tsk.

Fix posted:

There was just something funny about him reading "only standing here now do I understand the House and the American people" from a written speech.

Haha I noticed that too.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm thoroughly convinced Bush swinging and missing at the debates last night was the end of his campaign. The media narrative has turned against him and will scare away whatever donors he has left.

For what it's worth, Nate Silver agrees.

Yeah, Jeb Bush Is Probably Toast

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

Ryan already hosed up, he didn't ask for the resolution to be numbered before he had it read. Tsk loving tsk.

For the non-US here, ie me, what does this mean?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I actually think it is worse than that. I think people trust campaigns and social media more than the media, and it is in the interest of campaigns to gang up against the media. The media is completely at the whim of the consumer, and if they give the people news they don't want to hear, well why keep using that news source?

People have been taught that the media lies but they haven't caught onto social media being full of shills and lies, too, and they can self-select their own echo chamber while decrying everything outside of it as bullshit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Joementum posted:

Maybe Republicans are just very formal and want to refer to everyone with their middle name included, which is why they call the President Barack Hussein Obama. :shrug:

From way back, but after electing President George Herbert Walker Bush and President George Walker Bush, I can understand it if they consider the inclusion of middle names necessary for clarity in formal political speech.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

For the non-US here, ie me, what does this mean?

A minor procedural gaffe that he quickly corrected, I'm just busting balls.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Even that was too hostile according to the RNC.

We should really just stop calling these things debates, they're glorified Q&As at best and they're on their way to becoming infomercials if the RNC and campaign heads get their way.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

If Jeb Bush became a Democrat, I’m not saying he’d win the nomination, let alone the presidency, but he’d have a better shot at either than he currently does in the Republican Party.

That is the dumbest poo poo that I've ever heard in my life. We'd laugh him out of the building before he even got more than one foot in the door.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

People have been taught that the media lies but they haven't caught onto social media being full of shills and lies, too, and they can self-select their own echo chamber while decrying everything outside of it as bullshit.

Yeah and CNBC was really caught off guard by the candidates getting that truthiness matters more than facts. They just couldn't really handle candidates just lying or completely ignoring the rules collaboratively.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

People aren't taught how to discriminate between good and bad information so they give a peer reviewed journal sourced article the same weight as an email from Uncle Tony in 26 pt blue font that ends "and you just can't top that".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
All future debates should be hosted by 3 clones of Sean Hannity.
Only way the Republicans will be happy and there will be none of this gotcha poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeroisanumber posted:

That is the dumbest poo poo that I've ever heard in my life. We'd laugh him out of the building before he even got more than one foot in the door.

I would love to have Jeb Bush in for just one Democratic debate so that all three real candidates could clown on him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

zoux posted:

People aren't taught how to discriminate between good and bad information so they give a peer reviewed journal sourced article the same weight as an email from Uncle Tony in 26 pt blue font that ends "and you just can't top that".

The truth must be in the middle, you see, between the peer-reviewed journal and this email that says Obama wants to put us all in death chambers and sacrifice the country to Ba'al. Why would it be online if it wasn't true?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

The truth must be in the middle, you see, between the peer-reviewed journal and this email that says Obama wants to put us all in death chambers and sacrifice the country to Ba'al. Why would it be online if it wasn't true?

We're just here to completely objectively lay out these two positions in a way that implies they are completely equally valid and let you decide which one you already believe so you can not worry about challenging your perceptions.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nintendo Kid posted:

I would love to have Jeb Bush in for just one Democratic debate so that all three real candidates could clown on him.

Weird to refer to O'Malley as a real candidate.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The GoP should have a debate hosted by Gamergate, or perhaps by the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers' Association

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Self-selecting your own echo chamber is now a feature rather than a bug. If I understand correctly Google News has used algorithms to do this automatically for a while now. The Apple News app in IOS 9 explicitly promises "the best stories from the sources you love, selected just for you. The more you read, the more personalized your news becomes."

This is a bad thing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My main takeaways were that CNBC is a lieberal news org and that Rick Santelli is a communist.

About the access thing, like seriously who gives a poo poo? The loving Blaze cannot stand up a cable news channel that quickly. What's the other option? Fifteen "debates" on Fox News? The purpose of getting off the ranch is to convince people that aren't 100% in the RWM hole. If CNBC, or any other news org, decided to actually have these things called "rules" and have the audacity to cut off people's mics, maybe the narrative wouldn't have been "CNBC is a joke".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Self-selecting your own echo chamber is now a feature rather than a bug. If I understand correctly Google News has used algorithms to do this automatically for a while now. The Apple News app in IOS 9 explicitly promises "the best stories from the sources you love, selected just for you. The more you read, the more personalized your news becomes."

This is a bad thing

It is a major part of political communication now. There's a reason we've shifted towards base elections rather than persuasion elections.

Phone posted:

My main takeaways were that CNBC is a lieberal news org and that Rick Santelli is a communist.

About the access thing, like seriously who gives a poo poo? The loving Blaze cannot stand up a cable news channel that quickly. What's the other option? Fifteen "debates" on Fox News? The purpose of getting off the ranch is to convince people that aren't 100% in the RWM hole. If CNBC, or any other news org, decided to actually have these things called "rules" and have the audacity to cut off people's mics, maybe the narrative wouldn't have been "CNBC is a joke".

lol if CNBC had cut off mics the audience would have started throwing things at the moderators.

• Locked thread