Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like let's be real, kickstarter is going to get bought out within the next, let's be optimistic, five years or so. Probably by eBay or Amazon since KS has been able to build a vibrant and excited community around buying things that don't exist yet. They're the perfect group of people to advertise to in general on top of having a business model that is super attractive to the big online retailers. And once that happens, once some mega corporation shells out big loving bucks for KS, their "it's on the project creators to deliver! lol!" stance is gonna be some anti-consumer bullshit that will be loving indefensible. It's barely tolerable now and only really made sense when KS was tiny and they legitimately had no real way, monetary or otherwise, to ensure delivery of product from creators. Since their scale is ballooning rapidly and they're changing from what was originally a patronage model to a business model the fact that they're hanging backers out to dry is making less and less sense as time goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My major issue with Skullgirls is the issue I have with most fighting games, in that it sticks to the usual arcane and archaic fighting game control scheme that's been established for two decades now. And though it does a lot to present a training mode that covers it all, it just strikes me as cargo culty and having to learn a new control "language" every time I pick up a new fighting game is a real problem. I love fighting games, but I can only dedicate so much time to them, so that's means I only play through Skullgirls once with each character, toy around with combos a bit, and then put it down forever to practice whatever the poing du jour of the fighting community is instead.
Look up Rising Thunder.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

With Indiegogo vs Kickstarter, the main thing is for those comfortable with Kickstarter only then learning how to use Indiegogo is just one large hurdle blocking the decision to back versus the lower risk, wait until the game is done. It's just basic online sales psychology stuff. It's the reason why if you have the option, you would make your kickstarter in US dollars rather than say Swedish kronor, so potential backers won't go "what is this strange currency, no sale".

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Toxxupation posted:

Fig: ahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

Fig actually picks the projects they want on their service, how is that bad or makes them less trustworthy?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Oasx posted:

Fig actually picks the projects they want on their service, how is that bad or makes them less trustworthy?
Because no-one knows who Fig is except for crowdfunding wonks like us.

Also they have only run one project so far where they kept changing the rules.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

As an aside: if fig can't get this 5th Cell ftp game "crowdfunded" (invested), then the whole site's dead in the loving water. It's the perfect pitch for outside investors and basically nobody else since if I had a spare million or so to invest in a video game some microtransaction-ridden FTP game is exactly what I'd put my money in. But even worse it means their whole curation/ single focus angle doesn't even work; having a 50% success rate on projects being funded is unsustainable for a curated project model.

I dunno. The 5th Cell game is at 20% funded with 22 days left, and pledges have essentially bottomed out from day one. Assuming a "traditional" kickstarter curve the 5th Cell project is looking utterly dire, but maybe this is all part of Fig's plan to have all their investors lined up so the last twenty-four hours we suddenly see like a million dollars just show up out of nowhere so sites publish "crowdfunding miracle" stories.

See, this is one of the myriad problems with fig. One of the central ideas of all these crowdfunding sites is transparency. Since they're all basically begging for money, there's a certain level of accountability backers demand, with one of the big issues being where and from who the money's coming from and where and to whom it's going. With fig, though, since they have private investments for obvious and reasonable privacy reasons it's impossible to know the specifics of who's backing, how much of an influence they have, and what their motives are. And what this means is you have situations like this where every Fig project comes across as a smoke filled room in which things just happen. None of the public has a material effect whether positive or negative on the outcome.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oasx posted:

They don't have project transparency which is the hallmark of building trust. It's literally that simple. Throw in the fact that they're new which means that they have no trust already and it's a double whammy.

Almost entirely why kickstarter is at all reliable is because they've been around by far the longest, combined with a decent community outreach and pr team. It certainly isn't their consumer protection, of which they have basically none. Fig has the exact same problems that kickstarter has combined with money appearing from silent investors who are completely unknown and unseen with an impossible to gauge amount of influence on the final project and a generally unresponsive attitude.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I dunno. The 5th Cell game is at 20% funded with 22 days left, and pledges have essentially bottomed out from day one. Assuming a "traditional" kickstarter curve the 5th Cell project is looking utterly dire, but maybe this is all part of Fig's plan to have all their investors lined up so the last twenty-four hours we suddenly see like a million dollars just show up out of nowhere so sites publish "crowdfunding miracle" stories.
That's the problem I had with Fig's first project. They announced a hard limit on investor backing and then that they had oodles of interest that they couldn't allow. But then when backer pledges weren't going to be enough they slowly increased the investor funding - juuuuuust enough to push it into the magic amount where it was very almost funded so the usual crowdfunding frenzy of "we're almost there! we can't fail now :ohdear:" would do the rest. It was so completely manufactured to squeeze the most beneficial situation for the project, and by extension Fig.

I don't think they can keep doing that, because backers will cotton on. Hell, judging by the figures so far they have already cottoned on, although that might be the F2P effect.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Infectonator: Survivor looks great.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It looks pretty cool, but it probably isn't kosher to straight-up use the Left 4 Dead characters :v:

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

I'm a fan of their previous games, however grindy they were. Great time wasters, threw in my :10bux:

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

It looks pretty cool, but it probably isn't kosher to straight-up use the Left 4 Dead characters :v:

They mention in the pitch text that they have been given permission by Valve to use them.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I really dig the pixel art, and if it was literally anything else other than yet another zombie survival game then I would be all over this. Ah well. :sigh:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

that dog is too loving happy I'm more scared of it than the zombies

E: I'm an idiot and wow Sydney is awfully anime

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 29, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's this SquareEnix backed episodic platformer thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tookindstudio/pankapu-the-dreamkeeper

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

God, I forgot about that stupid Square-Enix Collective thing.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Current backing for Anchors in the Drift: $100K (goal $500K)
Investments: $96K
Backers: $4K
:v:
Man, look at all that consumer interest! can't wait to invest in this!

Trapezium Dave posted:

That's the problem I had with Fig's first project. They announced a hard limit on investor backing and then that they had oodles of interest that they couldn't allow. But then when backer pledges weren't going to be enough they slowly increased the investor funding - juuuuuust enough to push it into the magic amount where it was very almost funded so the usual crowdfunding frenzy of "we're almost there! we can't fail now :ohdear:" would do the rest. It was so completely manufactured to squeeze the most beneficial situation for the project, and by extension Fig.

I don't think they can keep doing that, because backers will cotton on. Hell, judging by the figures so far they have already cottoned on, although that might be the F2P effect.
That is a very interesting point, I did not consider that, that's messed up

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Toxxupation posted:

They don't have project transparency which is the hallmark of building trust. It's literally that simple. Throw in the fact that they're new which means that they have no trust already and it's a double whammy.

Almost entirely why kickstarter is at all reliable is because they've been around by far the longest, combined with a decent community outreach and pr team. It certainly isn't their consumer protection, of which they have basically none. Fig has the exact same problems that kickstarter has combined with money appearing from silent investors who are completely unknown and unseen with an impossible to gauge amount of influence on the final project and a generally unresponsive attitude.

Kickstarter doesn't really seem to care which projects are on their site, or whether or not those projects turn out to be scams. Community outreach only matters if they did more than pretend to care about the core problems of the site. With Fig i can be reasonably sure that an actual human looks at the pitches and makes sure that the backers will get what they paid for, it is still far from perfect, but it is a whole lot more trustworthy than the other two.
And i am saying that as a person who has backed many projects on both Kickstarter and Indiegogo, and been generally very happy with the experience.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's something I just realised about the 5th Cell Fig thing: their CEO said they went with Fig because they were impressed that Outer Wilds got "over $800k in potential accredited investment" but putting aside how worthless "potential investment" is to begin with, Outer Wilds did nothing at all to back up those numbers and for all anyone knows they're completely full of poo poo. Why would anyone take them at their word?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

You would think that $800K in investment would be back again for a F2P game from 5th cell.

For all we know it could be and they are waiting until the time is right to accept it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Trapezium Dave posted:

You would think that $800K in investment would be back again for a F2P game from 5th cell.

For all we know it could be and they are waiting until the time is right to accept it.

Yeah, they probably want to accept the minimum amount of investment possible. Backers are essentially a free loan (especially in a free to play game where they're not even getting a copy), while you have to give something back to investors. That said, I don't think 4% funding from backers for a FTP game represents a failure for Fig. They must have always known that most of the money in this case would come from investors.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

God, I forgot about that stupid Square-Enix Collective thing.
That's okay, everyone else did too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I remember it because they announced it by telling people they'd be taking pitches for classic S-E IP and then it turned out the only eligible IP were Anachronox and fuckin' Gex.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anachronox was cool. Arguably cooler than anything Square have done since the PS1.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
As a lot of failed Kickstarters do, Viktor, A Steampunk Adventure has moved to Indiegogo.

You might remember it as that adventure with the controversial map:

I wish they would have Kickstarted again instead. It's already greenlit on Steam.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

I wish they would have Kickstarted again instead.
Yeah but now they can go for that sweet flex funding. :v:

Endorph posted:

the art in skullgirls is actually pretty good.
A page late, but after smacktalking Skullgirls a few days back as "nice animation ruined by being pervy as all hell" based on videos from ages ago I remembered that I had a copy from that recent bundle so I'd give it a quick spin and do it justice. And you're right, the animation really is drat good. It is still too pervy but I feel that's more a detriment with how it clashes with the deco aesthetic.

I don't really care for the game however but that's more because I find complex fighters impenetrable.

I'd probably back Indivisible based purely on my brief play if it was on Kickstarter for $20. I'm not sure about Indiegogo for $30 though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Anachronox was cool. Arguably cooler than anything Square have done since the PS1.

Did anything actually happen with Anachronox? Never saw it again after that announcement.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

evilmiera posted:

Did anything actually happen with Anachronox? Never saw it again after that announcement.
Nope, I'd be totally willing to throw some money at a campaign to prove interest if they did it though. So long as they got the writers back and the like.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

HGH posted:

There's this SquareEnix backed episodic platformer thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tookindstudio/pankapu-the-dreamkeeper

Seems decent.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Why can't someone make a videogame kickstarter like this.

E: lol at the largest atheism amusement park in the related projects

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 29, 2015

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I think the relatively low backer presence on Anchors is due to the F2P element, not the fact that people are weirded out by investors being anonymous. I mean you know that the minute you sign up for the service, and the nice part is it all but eliminates the chances of a campaign not funding. If transparency at all costs is what you're after, I can understand not going their way; if you like a game they are campaigning for, want to see it funded AND want it to have a better than average (way better than Kickstarter, that is) chance that it actually gets made, it's exactly the platform for you, plain and simple.

Some people will always see conspiracies and puppet masters everywhere, and that's their prerogative. So far, Fig are doing exactly what they were upfront about from the get go. I'm not backing Anchors because I literally have no time for that kind of game, and a lot of people don't because of the F2P thing, but there's a 99% chance it'll get funded, and made. As a backer, those two are my main interests, since investing in video games isn't something I can afford or would be into.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

My issue with Fig is mainly that because they are so focused on bringing in a fixed amount of money that they've jettisoned the whole participatory element of crowdfunding. I don't think I'd feel part of making a project a success if success is already guaranteed. Basically backing through Fig is exactly the same as a pre-order. Unless the backer tiers are exceptionally cheap (and Fig doesn't seem like it's geared that way), then why not let the investors fund the game and wait for it to be made.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I get what you're saying, on the other hand I hate it when I back projects that don't make it. It's the reason I deleted my account a while ago, and only recently came back to Kickstarter.... only to have 2 of 4 campaigns I backed not fund. Mileage varying and all that. I haven't backed on Fig, either, but I'm definitely throwing in for anything DF or Obsidian.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kickstarter provides two things: an unreliable source of funds and a reliable source of promotion. Fig provides the opposite, currently, but I think they'll have an easier time improving visibility of their titles than KS would have improving reliability of funding. (Fig's one-at-a-time model hurts visibility, will be interesting to see that evolve.)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Fig should have opened big. With Pillars of Eternity II or an Obsidian Fallout knockoff or something.

I'm assuming these early projects are intended to work out any kinks in the system or something.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

crowdfunded investment sounds like a terrible loving idea that's going to get a lot of the clueless nerds running the thing sent to federal prison

like how could anyone think that the sort of people responsible for the OUYA and every failed kickstarter interacting with the SEC and federal financial regulators will end well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's why you have to be a qualified investor to participate in the investment portion ($200K/year income for the last 2 years or $1M in net worth). There are a number of companies that set up investment pools like this (Quire is the other one I've used), it's not a new thing. Fig is just targeted at games.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/309114309/infinity-battlescape Is struggling hard the last few days, yesterday only pulled in 4k $

They really REALLY have a huge trouble getting mentioned anywhere at all. The reddit post that got some awareness immediately generated pledges but as soon as it went off so did any traffic to the KS page.
The only media people that respond to them are mostly smalltime youtubers and they prettymuch all love their prototype to bits.

The more that time goes on the more I worry that this will never see the light of day. And compared to a lot of other game kickstarters they have a lot to show, like an actual prototype game with working multiplayer a prototype that people are having plenty of fun in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSnvQsbRLRQ

This is going to be a tough ride.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That looks pretty drat cool. Maybe there are too many space games now? Time to shut that genre down again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Wow! A seamless procedurally generated open-world space simulator! Golly!