Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure TFA will feature Luke tending that tree in the new temple and him saying something like "oh since i planted this three new force sensitives are popping up!". Jedi getting the post M-Day treatment here.

And I honestly though Shattered Empire would lead to the Battle of Jakku because they've said it was the lsat major engagement of the Galactic Civil War where the remaining strength of the Empire was finally crushed. There's only about 6 weeks to go before it comes out so I'm doubtful that would be another series.

But yea, the battles were cool, great artwork, but the story, they pretended like this was the bridge, but it wasn't.

The Battle of Jakku's been talked about a bit in Lost Stars. And supposedly Battlefront is going to have it... eugh, if a major event is only explained in a multiplayer video game that would be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Keiya posted:

The Battle of Jakku's been talked about a bit in Lost Stars. And supposedly Battlefront is going to have it... eugh, if a major event is only explained in a multiplayer video game that would be awful.

That's exactly what I am worried about. The last great battle of rebellion told through a game where you get to hear racist 14 year old scream at you for shooting them.

And from the offical trailer, I figured that's what the Force Awakens part of it, the force is calling out to a new generation of Jedi with Luke being the bridge between the old order and the new.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Do we really need to have the Battle of Jakku explained? For storytelling purposes all we need to know is that it happened. Needing to have all the references explained is what leads to poo poo like Episodes I-III.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Probably, but it could also be seen as off-screening....I dunno, the Battle of Endor, perhaps. Like all you got was the Luke/Vader/Palpatine(Perhaps it's a poor example?). Or maybe Hoth, like you started with the asteroid chase(Possibly worse?). I can see why some things should be left unknown, but this is big enough under the circumstances that it warrants something.

I can see it going either way. This thing breaks the power of the Empire permanently. This is something everyone involved about is gonna have memories or talk about or around. Off-screening is bad, but on-screening can sometimes be worse...Then again, I have no hatred to the prequels(Still prefer the ep3 book, though).

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bloodly posted:

I can see it going either way. This thing breaks the power of the Empire permanently. This is something everyone involved about is gonna have memories or talk about or around. Off-screening is bad, but on-screening can sometimes be worse...Then again, I have no hatred to the prequels(Still prefer the ep3 book, though).

I would definitely argue in favor of off-screening. There's a reason a million movies, video games and books have been made about the D-Day invasion but no one has made a big-screen portrayal of the Battle for Castle Itter.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Some of you are mad that the clone wars were explained (or, at least, how they were explained). I'm in the camp that not everything needs to be spelled out.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

rear end Catchcum posted:

Some of you are mad that the clone wars were explained (or, at least, how they were explained). I'm in the camp that not everything needs to be spelled out.

The Clone Wars off-screened the wrong material. I always thought it was super silly that almost all of Anakin's Hero of the Republic space adventures were cordoned off to tie-in video games/cartoons/comics, when that was the reason why people in and out of universe gave a poo poo about Anakin Skywalker.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 23, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Nothing is going to be "explained" in Battlefront about Jakku. There will be a map, wherein both Rebels and Imperials have an victory condition, and they shoot each other until the objective is met. The Hoth map doesn't exactly tell the story of the first reel of ESB after all.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
e: ugh, what the hell double post

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The title of Chuck Wendig's third Aftermath novel is going to be Empire's End - perhaps it'll be in that. I think people are more likely (probably not much more likely, granted) to follow the novels than the comics or even the games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have little faith in marvel Star Wars (they are mostly trash) I do hope they actually end the empire instead of the poo poo the EU pulled when it came back like 500 times

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Did anyone notice the location the crime lord give Ahpra is the same world mentioned by one of the holocrons Luke unlocked? The one mentioned to have a Jedi Temple on it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars is getting its first crossover event: a six-part story co-written by Aaron and Gillen called "Vader Down". Darth Vader's TIE fighter is shot down on a barren planet, and he's on his own with the full weight of the Rebel Alliance bearing down on him.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I wonder if Vader will come down with a case of arm cut off by totally secretly important character do not steal like he used to.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

I wonder if Vader will come down with a case of arm cut off by totally secretly important character do not steal like he used to.

Obviously the planet will be inhabited by a lost cabal of Sith Lords who will make him fight Darth Maul.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When you said crossover I though you were going to say the Guardians of the Galaxy were going to run into Vader.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone else reading Chewbacca?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, its pretty good. Though I think I liked this week's Kanan more. Depa seems like a cool master.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, its pretty good. Though I think I liked this week's Kanan more. Depa seems like a cool master.

Depa's like the cool aunt and all the other masters are stern lecturing dads :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The situation with Depa Billaba is a bit odd, because I'm pretty sure they've alluded to pretty much the only significant thing that happened with the character in the old EU (fell to the dark side and went full Apocalypse Now on a jungle planet, ended up comatose after Mace Windu arrested her) as if it's still happened in the new canon. Fair enough, because Shatterpoint was a good story, but it seems a bit strange that they'd have kept something that big (even if they're not using all of it as backstory).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Chewbacca being a fairly small story, but he also seems totally incidental to the plot, as a result. It's like Duggan had an unused script sitting around and just plugged Chewbacca into it. Not a complaint, per se, but it feels a bit weird.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's very Kung Fu badass outsider in the right place at the right time plot but that a perfectly fine writing tool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Plus it owned when the guy said "heh, look who brought a dead droid to a blaster fight" and Chewbacca brained him with it.

But Duggan said in prerelease interviews that he drew inspiration from the Eastwood Man Without a Name westerns, which were themselves inspired by Kurosawa films like Seven Samurai and Yojimbo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reminder to pick up Star Wars: Vader Down tomorrow since it's part one of the Vader Down crossover between Star Wars and Darth Vader. (But read it after Star Wars #12, I assume.)

Vader.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: Vader Down

:stare:

Seriously, that was some Clone Wars cartoon level rear end kicking dished out there. They may as well just bombard the entire planet from orbit.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Will Star Wars still make sense if I don't bother reading Vader Down? Crossovers are why I stopped reading X-Men comics.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

cargohills posted:

Will Star Wars still make sense if I don't bother reading Vader Down? Crossovers are why I stopped reading X-Men comics.

The February solicitations just came out and it looks like Star Wars picks up right from Vader Down.
http://imgur.com/a/o61Ue

Looks like Leniel Yu is also the artist for the third arc of Star Wars

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cargohills posted:

The only outside book you'd have to buy is Vader Down because the rest of the crossover is split between SW and DV.

I assume bad crossovers are the problem, this crossover looks to be extremely good if Vader Down is any indication.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Let me just say that "I'll feed you to my lizards, then feed them to a bigger lizard, and barbecue that lizard" is the best threat ever

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Let me just say that "I'll feed you to my lizards, then feed them to a bigger lizard, and barbecue that lizard" is the best threat ever

Swole Hutt best Hutt.

Also loved "All I am surrounded by is fear and dead men", make Jason Aaron write Vader forever, sorry Kieron.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Seriously, that was some Clone Wars cartoon level rear end kicking dished out there. They may as well just bombard the entire planet from orbit.

Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars or Dave Filoni Clone Wars?

I mean, I like them both a lot, but only one of them has Mace Windu punching out an entire army of battle droids.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars or Dave Filoni Clone Wars?

I mean, I like them both a lot, but only one of them has Mace Windu punching out an entire army of battle droids.

Not really a spoiler because it happens right away, but Vader took out nearly 3 squadrons of starfighters by himself, including one of the more badass uses of the Force in space before he's finally forced to the planet.

Because he's Darth loving Vader.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

zoux posted:

The only outside book you'd have to buy is Vader Down because the rest of the crossover is split between SW and DV.

I assume bad crossovers are the problem, this crossover looks to be extremely good if Vader Down is any indication.

I just don't like crossovers because I normally prefer buying one book. I don't really care about Vader's side of the story.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

cargohills posted:

I just don't like crossovers because I normally prefer buying one book. I don't really care about Vader's side of the story.

I'm sure they will make the entire Vader Down arc into one Trade Paperback. It's a 6 issue arc, which is the preferred length for TPBs it seems.

Edit: YUP

Wookieepedia posted:

Star Wars Volume 3: Vader Down is an upcoming trade paperback compilation of Marvel Comics' Star Wars: Vader Down crossover event between the ongoing series Star Wars and Star Wars: Darth Vader. It is slated for release on April 19, 2016.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 19, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Not really a spoiler because it happens right away, but Vader took out nearly 3 squadrons of starfighters by himself, including one of the more badass uses of the Force in space before he's finally forced to the planet.

Because he's Darth loving Vader.

Yeah these comics are doing a good job of making Vader look like a badass. Like in last weeks DV where he took out a Y Wing with his saber.

cargohills posted:

Too bad because it's a really good comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Darth Vader is the better of the two, in my opinion. Not by a lot, but still.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, uh, Darth Vader #13.

How do I put this...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Makes you wonder why the Emperor had such a hard on for Death Stars, Vader's practically an H bomb - wipes everyone out, leaves everything else intact to work with afterwards.

Luke getting chumped by whatshisface was the funniest thing I've seen all week. Shoulda listened to R2, yo.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Because he's only one man and can only send him to one place at a time. Which makes you wonder why he didn't go in for that whle 'Sith Army' bit he spouted at Dooku. Then again, machines can't turn on you as much as humans can, and Vader's 'special' anyway, even at half-power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sentinel Red posted:

Makes you wonder why the Emperor had such a hard on for Death Stars, Vader's practically an H bomb - wipes everyone out, leaves everything else intact to work with afterwards.

Expanded universe power creep makes a lot of the stuff in the original films seem pointless.