Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
so thecoach, was star citizen's effigy really not enough warning for you or are you just addicted to throwing money into tire fires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
These guys have done more working part time that Scam Citizen has with a huge budget.
Comparing this game to SC and going HURR scam is straight up a scummy thing to do.

On one hand we have people who have promised some sort of a perfect utopian game of tomorrow, sucked in a metric fuckton of money and produced very little while continuing to milk the community for every cent they can.
And on the other you have a guy who in his spare time built a game engine, didn't take donations for it and had big dreams(Quest for Earth). Later he realized those dreams are not going to happen and the whole idea had numerous gameplay problems so he found a few people who could sacrifice their spare time and produced a new game concept(Battlescape) using the same engine. A game concept that is producible and pretty clear about what it is I might add. They decided to launch the kickstarter only when they had real tech to show and they are not afraid to give it to people for reviews.

But naaah it's a bad bad game because it has space in it and Lesnick ate all the space and now all space is bad k.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheCoach posted:

But naaah it's a bad bad game because it has space in it and Lesnick ate all the space and now all space is bad k.

Yup

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

TheCoach posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/309114309/infinity-battlescape Is struggling hard the last few days, yesterday only pulled in 4k $

They really REALLY have a huge trouble getting mentioned anywhere at all. The reddit post that got some awareness immediately generated pledges but as soon as it went off so did any traffic to the KS page.
The only media people that respond to them are mostly smalltime youtubers and they prettymuch all love their prototype to bits.

The more that time goes on the more I worry that this will never see the light of day. And compared to a lot of other game kickstarters they have a lot to show, like an actual prototype game with working multiplayer a prototype that people are having plenty of fun in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSnvQsbRLRQ

This is going to be a tough ride.

They've been working on that game since I was in high school, of course they're having trouble getting funding.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Kickstarter based on famous vaporware is struggling? Gosh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Which one of you motherfuckers did this

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it was me :fap:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
no not really

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mordja posted:

Which one of you motherfuckers did this

im the dog looking excitedly at the fire hydrant

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Obsidian ‏@Obsidian 1h1 hour ago
So it seems like something was bought by @PdxInteractive and people want us to look into making a game? Hmmm...

So basically the next fig project is going to be an Obsidian Vampire game, this info is 146% verified.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm OK with that.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The furry thing's been in the ad rotation for ages, hasn't it?

Megazver posted:

So it seems like something was bought by @PdxInteractive and people want us to look into making a game? Hmmm...

So basically the next fig project is going to be an Obsidian Vampire game, this info is 146% verified.
Oh sweet holy gently caress yes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

crowdfunded investment sounds like a terrible loving idea that's going to get a lot of the clueless nerds running the thing sent to federal prison

like how could anyone think that the sort of people responsible for the OUYA and every failed kickstarter interacting with the SEC and federal financial regulators will end well

Not to make too big of a deal out of it but the people actually running the business of Fig are actual financial people who already do that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Megazver posted:

Ok, it looks like they found the ONLY thing that would make me back a project on Fig.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes. If you pledged, IGG already took the money from your Paypal or whatever account, rather than collecting at the end of the campaign. They also make it impossibly hard for you to cancel or change a pledge, which is really loving lovely from a user's point of view.

Speak of the devil (and he shall change his refund policy, I guess):

quote:

New feature update: We’re saving you time by processing refunds.

With Indiegogo now quickly processing refunds, backers who change their minds after contributing will be much happier, and provided funds haven’t been disbursed, you won’t have to worry about managing refund requests.

Backers asked for a simple way to receive refunds, and since early September, we’ve been following this refund policy. Now, backers can request a refund for eligible contributions directly within the Indiegogo product, without having to contact the campaigner or Indiegogo's customer happiness team.

Since September 1st, we’ve only received refund requests for a very small percentage of contributions. We will continue to notify you immediately by email if we process a refund for any contribution to your campaign.

For additional information, see our Refunds FAQ. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us, and we'll reply within 24 hours.

Best,
The Indiegogo Team

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Thirsty Dog posted:

Kickstarter based on famous vaporware is struggling? Gosh

Roger that, can't work on a project before asking people for money, any kind of development on a related old version of the thing is not experience nonono it's bad and you shouldn't have worked on it.
Kickstarter kind of exists for situations like this, when you need money to go full time and realize your project that you cannot otherwise realize. That's why it exists.

Should he have done a kickstarter before he could be sure about actually finishing it? Like before he had an engine that can run a game as opposed to just rendering a planet?

Where is this massive entitlement of "he did not make me game for free years ago so he doesn't deserve anything now" come from? It's completely unfounded.
Also vaporware is something that has funding and is never released, not a hobby project done in spare time by a guy.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

im the dog looking excitedly at the fire hydrant

hey man stop here I gotta take a leak

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

TheCoach posted:

Roger that, can't work on a project before asking people for money, any kind of development on a related old version of the thing is not experience nonono it's bad and you shouldn't have worked on it.
Kickstarter kind of exists for situations like this, when you need money to go full time and realize your project that you cannot otherwise realize. That's why it exists.

Should he have done a kickstarter before he could be sure about actually finishing it? Like before he had an engine that can run a game as opposed to just rendering a planet?

Where is this massive entitlement of "he did not make me game for free years ago so he doesn't deserve anything now" come from? It's completely unfounded.
Also vaporware is something that has funding and is never released, not a hobby project done in spare time by a guy.

Because at the end of the day you're asking people to have confidence in your ability to produce something. A project can do this a number of ways, cashing in reputation built from old projects like your keiji inafune's, a solid demo, whatever works to build trust.

The entitlement is expecting people to take someone's word for it directly in conflict with years of proof that the exact same people cannot get things done. It's the same team that hasn't completed a project they were working on for ages and people have every right to say that. The idea that people shouldn't be critical of a project with a reputation for struggling is loving idiotic.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Infinity: Battlescape has half their target goal with three weeks left on the clock. That is on track to making it, although they won't hit a lot of stretch goals. As long as they didn't lowball their goal from the true amount of money they need they should be fine.

I don't think it helps that space is getting very crowded these days. Elite: Dangerous is already playable, No Man's Sky is scheduled to be out next year, and Star Citizen has already stolen all the jpeg money.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

And yet no ones making a game you could really call Freelancer 2 :qq:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Underhill posted:

I think the relatively low backer presence on Anchors is due to the F2P element, not the fact that people are weirded out by investors being anonymous. I mean you know that the minute you sign up for the service, and the nice part is it all but eliminates the chances of a campaign not funding. If transparency at all costs is what you're after, I can understand not going their way; if you like a game they are campaigning for, want to see it funded AND want it to have a better than average (way better than Kickstarter, that is) chance that it actually gets made, it's exactly the platform for you, plain and simple.

Some people will always see conspiracies and puppet masters everywhere, and that's their prerogative. So far, Fig are doing exactly what they were upfront about from the get go. I'm not backing Anchors because I literally have no time for that kind of game, and a lot of people don't because of the F2P thing, but there's a 99% chance it'll get funded, and made. As a backer, those two are my main interests, since investing in video games isn't something I can afford or would be into.

Literally every single word in this post is at best conjecture

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 30, 2015

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
I like how every other space crowdfunded project must now be paralleled with Star Citizen.

Must be a real killer for everyone involved in the crowdfunding process.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Someone make me a space trading-combat game with real orbital physics ala KSP thanks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

randombattle posted:

Because at the end of the day you're asking people to have confidence in your ability to produce something. A project can do this a number of ways, cashing in reputation built from old projects like your keiji inafune's, a solid demo, whatever works to build trust.

But they have a very working demo. With a level of procedural generation beyond existing space game projects.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Someone make me a space trading-combat game with real orbital physics ala KSP thanks.
Don't any of these games have that already? I thought all the beautiful equations were the reason why programmer-designers swarm to the genre like flies.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Every time I see a space game, all the ships move like submarines or jet planes. KSP has ruined me because I know what actual spaceflight looks like now.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Nemo2342 posted:

Ok, it looks like they found the ONLY thing that would make me back a project on Fig.

See this is the things lots of y'all don't seem to get, all it takes is one game from a big name to drive people towards Fig. They won't miss the boat because Obsidian waited til the 4th/5th/whatever game, people will show up because of Obsidian regardless if f the timing for Fig itself. Fig doesn't need to sell to backers, it needs to sell confidence to the project starters, and the backers will naturally come if the projects are right.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The question for me is not whether backers will come to an Obsidian game on Fig but whether more or less would come as compared to Kickstarter or Indiegogo. Plus whether this makes a difference to non-big names on Fig in the future.

One of the objectives of Fig was to increase the potential intake for projects from crowd sourcing as the founders felt that places like Kickstarter had reached their cap, which I agree is likely. I don't however think the approach Fig seems be going down will beat that, especially in the long term.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Well Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 would definitely be the game that could put Fig's potential popularity to the test.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Accordion Man posted:

Well Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 would definitely be the game that could put Fig's potential popularity to the test.

I would definitely back that immediately, regardless of whatever crowdfunding platform it popped up on.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pavlov posted:

Every time I see a space game, all the ships move like submarines or jet planes. KSP has ruined me because I know what actual spaceflight looks like now.

The enemy's gate is down. Underwater games would also be theoretically fun if people could understand 6-axes of movement and a world where there is no "up" or "down".

Edit: Decent is the only franchise that really went whole-hog into that. And Forsaken or whatever that other one was too.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 30, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Orientation is something space games have to deal with anyway. I'm talking about the way firing your engines affects the direction you go.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Pavlov posted:

Space Truck Simulator has to be a thing that happens eventually right??

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm genuinely surprised nobody's Kickstarted an HD version of Desert Bus

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Isn't Elite Dangerous already out?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I am surprised and disappointed it hasn't happened already.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

I'm genuinely surprised nobody's Kickstarted an HD version of Desert Bus

Pavlov posted:

Isn't Elite Dangerous already out?

I have heard that Elite Dangerous is supposed to involve combat somehow but all I ever hear about are people spacetrucking.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
what we need is a game designed around spacetrucking. Something like Euro Truck Sim in Futurama meets Startopia.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Paypal's loving around with Lab Zero's account right now because reasons, and it'll take a minimum of 7-10 days to reverse any restrictions they've put on it. Perfect timing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Paypal's loving around with Lab Zero's account right now because reasons, and it'll take a minimum of 7-10 days to reverse any restrictions they've put on it. Perfect timing!

Did someone at LabZero hit an old gypsy woman or something?