Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Not the Roosters, the Rabbitohs. Arguably their fiercest rivals in the NRL.

SBW played for the Roosters, and Burgess flattened him in his first game back--something I'm sorry we didn't get to see again in Union.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Jono C posted:

From the outside looking in, this is what it felt like. Burgess was picked before he was ready, and is getting blamed for that.

The whole plan from the beginning was 'Sam Burgess is going to switch to Rugby Union and play in the World Cup and it's going to be a great English underdog story!'

That was the plan at every stage of the process, and Burgess, his agent, Bath and the RFU were all signed on. He was essentially given X ammount of months to get really good at Rugby Union, then lots of money changed hands and he started training.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Tyma posted:

That was the plan at every stage of the process, and Burgess, his agent, Bath and the RFU were all signed on.

Final conclusion. All these people are morons.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Sounds like some kind of breakfast cereal

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

tarbrush posted:

Final conclusion. All these people are morons.

Yeah, but they probably got rich and don't care.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

tarbrush posted:

Sounds like some kind of breakfast cereal

That's what I keep saying.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I thought he'd be an impact sub coming on at 6 to run really hard and bang into people, Lancaster thought his skill set and meagre experience in union leant itself to one of the main distributing positions in the back line.

Hindsight and all but it was doomed from the start. Farrell fell into the same sort of positional no man's land that Sam did and he didn't exactly set the world on fire either, it would've been a lovely story but it's not too surprising.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unchanged NZ, Sio back in for Australia. Not sure if he's 100% or just deemed worth the risk, he didn't look happy when he went off the field.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Good article. I had absolutely no idea about any of this.

Did it include his great line "I'm only straight on the pitch." :clint:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
The wait is excruciating. Feels like an eternity till Sunday morning

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Everyone here knows that tomorrow is the most important game of the tournament. Go Bokke!

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Madkal posted:

Everyone here knows that tomorrow is the most important game of the tournament. Go Bokke!

Bismarck :swoon:

I'm going to a stupid party tomorrow so can't watch the first game.
Will have to record it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Madkal posted:

I'll continue to back Argentina, simply because I still wish they'd made it to the final and winning 3rd place is the closest thing to that now :(

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'll continue to back Argentina, simply because I still wish they'd made it to the final and winning 3rd place is the closest thing to that now :(

I've tipped Australia and Argentina. South Africa doesn't care about 3rd while Argentina does. They seemed to have a lot of injuries in the semi.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure everyone (sans-saffers) will want Argentina to win it.

It should be pretty close right? Most of their previous match ups have narrow score lines.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone (sans-saffers) will want Argentina to win it.

It should be pretty close right? Most of their previous match ups have narrow score lines.

Argentina have a 50% win record against the Springboks this year, although the results may have been affected by the :krad: throwback jerseys they were wearing:

Lucky for me they're both wine-producing countries, so the world's greatest drinking game can take place.

Unlucky for me I can't watch it live since I have to teach and then drive home.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
World Player Of The Year Nominees

Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
Daniel Carter (Crusaders)
David Pocock (Brumbies)
Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester)
Julian Savea (Hurricanes
Michael Hooper (Waratahs)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DC... Really? Has had a couple of good games against weak opponents.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Watching some press conference thing with Eddie Jones and he's just giving the most interesting criticisms of Japanese rugby.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

DC... Really? Has had a couple of good games against weak opponents.

He's just getting in on name value at this point. Doubt he wins.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: awful app

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Watching some press conference thing with Eddie Jones and he's just giving the most interesting criticisms of Japanese rugby.

Any idea where I can watch it, or read the story? Very interested to hear what he has to say.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Any idea where I can watch it, or read the story? Very interested to hear what he has to say.

It just popped up on Japanese cable, but this is an article about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/jones-says-japan-needs-develop-more-rugby-talent-090846819.html

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's not the same as watching him cut off the translator when she gets his point across. It's weird watching him because he clearly understand the language to a high degree but he butchers even simple Japanese names.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's not the same as watching him cut off the translator when she gets his point across. It's weird watching him because he clearly understand the language to a high degree but he butchers even simple Japanese names.

Awww.

Also, here's a nice feature:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11963870/Rugby-World-Cup-who-makes-our-XV-of-flops.html

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope they play this game in the appropriate "who gives a gently caress, let's do the fancy poo poo" manner.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
God I hope so. My dad's there tonight and he's just asked me who he should support. I told him in no uncertain terms that it needed to be the Pumas.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Why are there always people singing during the non-singing bit of the Argentine anthem?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

People also sing along to the Spanish anthem, which is completely instrumental. What else are you gonna do

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Because it has too many non singing bits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What an awful pass.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What was the yellow for?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Jesus I looked away for a minute how the heck did the pumas get sin binned already?

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34682150

BBC posted:

Australia's World Cup final tactics have been leaked after staff were pictured with their game plans in hand.

Head coach Michael Cheika and assistant Mario Ledesma were spotted holding the pieces of paper at Friday's captain's run at Twickenham, before Saturday's final against holders New Zealand.

Among the instructions were to "expose" All Blacks wings Nehe Milner-Skudder and Julian Savea under the ball.

They were also told to "rattle" Kiwi number eight Kieran Read at restarts.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Where was this desire to score trys in the semi-finals, South Africa?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That man has a broke face.

Argentina look like they're not that interested.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How the hell did they not turn that over. They had clean seconds to secure that ball.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lmao

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brian Habana is not having a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What happened to that poor Argentinian? :ohdear:

Edit: Definitely looked like Habana pushed the guy to me.