Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat! Zombie Army Trilogy is 24.99 on PSN at the moment.

I was going to grab it this weekend at walmart for 50$ since I like discs, but 1/2 off is enough of a deal for me to break away from my usual dislike of digital only.

Now if SOMA would go on sale, I'd be a happy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

That Nier trailer has pretty much guaranteed i'll pass on the game.

3rd person hack and slash is boring as gently caress and it looks about the most generic example of that genre ever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

spudsbuckley posted:

3rd person hack and slash is boring as gently caress and it looks about the most generic example of that genre ever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

spudsbuckley posted:

assuming they keep the structure of the first game it'll be closer to a 3D Zelda or Kingdom Hearts or something with dungeons and puzzles and towns and NPCs and sidequests and stuff , just with actually interesting combat. Zelda still isn't the perfect comparison but it's much closer to that than a straight combat-focused game like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising or something

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

God yes, what a boring genre. Look just how slow and dull this is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

spudsbuckley posted:

...what did you expect it to be? The original was a hack n slash game and platinum mostly make hack n slash games. It's fine if you don't like the genre but why were you interested in the game in the first place?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, i'm sure it's deep as gently caress.

You can probably press normal attack twice and then strong attack to do a crazy combo. Also, you can probably do hitting while jumping to hit flying enemies. I wonder if there will be a "finisher" that charges up with every regular hit you do before you can unleash it.

loving ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Well that is pretty boring.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know what Paste is, is it too much to assume its parody? Because wtf.

He copy pasted the actual Wikipedia article and made changes where it made sense.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

axleblaze posted:

...what did you expect it to be? The original was a hack n slash game and platinum mostly make hack n slash games. It's fine if you don't like the genre but why were you interested in the game in the first place?

Don't bother replying to him.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

axleblaze posted:

He copy pasted the actual Wikipedia article and made changes where it made sense.

And somehow this has to be explained at somethingawfuldotcom

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, i'm sure it's deep as gently caress.

You can probably press normal attack twice and then strong attack to do a crazy combo. Also, you can probably do hitting while jumping to hit flying enemies. I wonder if there will be a "finisher" that charges up with every regular hit you do before you can unleash it.

loving ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Have you ever played a Platinum game?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Another stealth game? Pshh, let me guess you crawl around in the dark and knock people out using strangeholds and gadgets :rolleyes:

Another fighting game? Let me guess, you put in strings of button combinations in order to do special attacks and people take it way too seriously :rolleyes:

Another JRPG? Let me guess, there's turn based fighting and an overly dramatic story :smug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Don't bother replying to him.

Yeah from his last post this became pretty clear.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

Have you ever played a Platinum game?

Yup, they do the genre well but the genre itself sucks poo poo and is boring.

They pretty much just make the same game over and over with different skins and people who like that kind of thing absolutely lap it up every time and attack anyone who points out that it's a boring niche genre as far as most normal people are concerned.

See: the sales figures for Platinum games titles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

If only Dark Souls was deeper and more responsive like Call of Duty :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

axleblaze posted:

Soft Shell Crab posted:

And somehow this has to be explained at somethingawfuldotcom

Yes I loving know. The wikipedia article quotes a man from Paste, likely a publication or website. Durrrr.

Read the quote :downs:

"and somehow this has to be explained at somethingawfuldotcom" :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_3:_Drake%27s_Deception " Garrett Martin of Paste said: "

The answer is Paste Magazine you morons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paste_(magazine)

Which doesn't appear to be parody but given I've never heard of them before, I don't give their opinion on Uncharted 3 much weight.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 29, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im mutual followers with that guy and he seems smart enough. im not going to read the review to understand the context of the quote though

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

paste used to be a physical magazine i think but went all-online but they are real enough to have legitimate full-time editorial and offices. i think it was primarily a music mag

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh thats not the real quote. i got worked like a jackass. never read threads unless youre actually gonna bother replying folks

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes I loving know. The wikipedia article quotes a man from Paste, likely a publication or website. Durrrr.

Read the quote :downs:

"and somehow this has to be explained at somethingawfuldotcom" :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_3:_Drake%27s_Deception " Garrett Martin of Paste said: "

The answer is Paste Magazine you morons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paste_(magazine)

Which doesn't appear to be parody but given I've never heard of them before, I don't give their opinion on Uncharted 3 much weight.

Despite calling me a moron, it appears you still don't actually get what I was saying. Yes I misread your post and thought you were asking where the thing posted was cop-pasted from, but you still seem to be assuming the Paste quote was real when in fact the actual Paste quote in the actual wikipedia article is this

Wikipedia posted:

Several mainstream press reviews praised the game, particularly for its graphics and cinematic quality. Garrett Martin of Paste said:

"Like the previous game's hotel sequence, the cruise ship segment is impressive because of how it exploits our perception of both the game's rules and our character's surroundings. As the boat lurches downward, we have to maneuver Drake upwards through hallways and staterooms that tilt sideways, climbing up through doors and over bed frames. Our horizontal axis turns vertical as a wall of water surges towards us and suicidal pirates continue to attack, forcing us to quickly adapt to this new perspective. Eventually we fall into a grand chamber whose skylight is fully submerged. The art deco decor, underwater lighting, and skewed angles recall both Bioshock and The Poseidon Adventure. Sadly there are no cameos from Red Buttons or Shelley Winters. Moments like that are what make Uncharted 3 great

So yeah, once again the goon that posted that copy-pasted the actual Wikipedia article and changed it to be negative where it was positive you moron.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

actually now im confused becuase zaphod claims he gets it but i think he actually doesnt

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I like Platinum games, but he's right that the N:A trailer looks very Platinum Reskin, besides the glimpse of danmaku.

But it's just a trailer. There's plenty of time and talent involved to make it something really stand-out.

That does look pretty boring, if you want to sell someone on a good third-person fighter you want to show them an actual fight.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Peel posted:

That does look pretty boring, if you want to sell someone on a good third-person fighter you want to show them an actual fight.

That isn't nearly as fun as doing something fast and fluid while making it look good though?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
BattleBorn technical Alpha is up. Technically.

It just dumps you into a queue and... you wait.

[edit] been sitting in the queue just waiting for 45 min. Maybe I'm the only guy they let in?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 29, 2015

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Peel posted:

Are you loving blind??

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Hmm, so retards exist who are not interested in Nier 2, interesting...

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Also calling God of War part of a 'niche genre' is a bit silly, though I guess that was a few years ago now.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That isn't nearly as fun as doing something fast and fluid while making it look good though?

Fighting non-helpless enemies is a lot more fun than fighting helpless enemies, unless you make them helpless through skill, but that's hard to perceive in that video unless you're already familiar with DMC4. It would be a better trailer for a game if we could see what skeleton dude can do.

The purple spike weapon isn't very good on video either.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The real question is why anyone would pick a video from DMC instead of the far superior Bayonetta.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Peel posted:

Fighting non-helpless enemies is a lot more fun than fighting helpless enemies, unless you make them helpless through skill, but that's hard to perceive in that video unless you're already familiar with DMC4. It would be a better trailer for a game if we could see what skeleton dude can do.

The purple spike weapon isn't very good on video either.

I see where you're coming from, but honestly I just enjoy the higher end of the skill ceiling and knowing the execution requirements makes it even more fun to watch.

PantsBandit posted:

The real question is why anyone would pick a video from DMC instead of the far superior Bayonetta.

Hey now, DMC4SE is the cream of the crop. :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol "normal people"

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

Hmm, so retards exist who are not interested in Nier 2, interesting...

Yeah. Also retards that are interested in Nier 2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Yeah. Also retards that are interested in Nier 2.

At least the retards that are interested in Nier 2 have good taste.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I see where you're coming from, but honestly I just enjoy the higher end of the skill ceiling and knowing the execution requirements makes it even more fun to watch.

I completed Bayonetta on NSIC but I've never been able to get into the super technical stuff so we can mark it up to a difference of taste. Luckily Platinum games have plenty of material for both.

You'd think they would be more popular since they also have low difficulty settings for people who just want to mash buttons and watch cool stuff happen, but I guess we live in a fallen world.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I want a Disgaea Musuo like DQ Heroes.

(made by Platinum games)

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Feenix posted:

BattleBorn technical Alpha is up. Technically.

It just dumps you into a queue and... you wait.

[edit] been sitting in the queue just waiting for 45 min. Maybe I'm the only guy they let in?

Also in queue

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Corbae posted:

Also in queue

How can you tell? It doesn't show anywhere.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I apologize to the thread for posting my perception of Uncharted 3 as filtered through goon cynicism.

takoluka's thing was great though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Big update for Borderlands, fixing among other things my biggest problem with the Handsome Collection. They added an FOV slider. I had headaches until my brain adjusted, from the low FOV (70 degrees).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Also Nier: Nierer looks fun. The usual Platinum b-movie story schtick starts to grate after a while but maybe Yoko Taro's usual stupid insanity will be refreshing on that front.

• Locked thread