Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

gabensraum posted:

spent the last three days at an open source developers conference run by linux australia and everyone told each other to go gently caress themselves far fewer times than i expected based ott

lot easier to say that stuff on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gabensraum posted:

spent the last three days at an open source developers conference run by linux australia and everyone told each other to go gently caress themselves far fewer times than i expected based ott

a society armed with comically large knives and pockets full of venomous critters is a polite society

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

a society armed with comically large knives and pockets full of venomous critters is a polite society

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://anders.unix.se/2015/10/28/screenshots-from-developers--unix-people-2002/

you'll know it when you see it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

cmon can i get a "rhel yeah!!" in here??

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol the only 2 legitimate developers are both using windows for their unix development

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

DBus is actually way more complicated than it needs to be

Mach ports, port names, bootstrap_register and bootstrap_lookup, and mig are perfectly sufficient for the low-level IPC needs of an OS

and you can build things like launchd and XPC on top of them easily, making them very widely available in both the OS implementation and the apps and services running on top of it

DBus lets you perform rpc messaging and pub/sub messaging. messages have structural information attached to them and are routed by a (peer process id, peer object id, peer object interface id) tuple, all of which are human-readable strings.

there's also a peer name registry that lets things claim names like org.freedesktop.systemd instead of the equivalent of "the anonymous connection with serial number 1234", and a hook to let a service manager launch a service if that name isn't currently claimed by any running process.

seems pretty minimal to me.

e: there's some stupid vestigial SASL thing on classic dbus that's getting removed for kdbus. some people tried to make it possible to carry dbus over a network connection ages ago which kind of misses the point of what dbus is for.

quote:

does DBus even support passing data of out of band without copies, or passing file descriptors?

only for the last eight years or so

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 29, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
this is good too

Richard Stallman, july 2002:
I don’t know how to make a screenshot, because I normally use my computer in text-mode. I have X and GNOME installed, but I use them only occasionally.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Zom Aur posted:

this is good too

Richard Stallman, july 2002:
I don’t know how to make a screenshot, because I normally use my computer in text-mode. I have X and GNOME installed, but I use them only occasionally.

you found it

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

triple sulk posted:

you found it
i thought you meant the windows guys or the mac os developer

guess i didnt know it :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jerkcity in it, voted 5

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

jerkcity in it, voted 5

jerkcity rules

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

I thought the bottom right of Ritchie's screen had an icon labeled "warez"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
jordan hubbard listening to tunes and checking out jerk city

not much has changed

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

you found it

i thought it was the cmdrtaco anime

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

systemd flies in the face of the Unix philosophy: "do one thing and do it well," representing a complex collection of dozens of tightly coupled binaries. Its responsibilities grossly exceed that of an init system, as it goes on to handle power management, device management, mount points, cron, disk encryption, socket API/inetd, syslog, network configuration, login/session management, readahead, GPT partition discovery, container registration, hostname/locale/time management, mDNS/DNS-SD, the Linux console and other things all wrapped into one. The agenda for systemd to be an ever-growing and invasive middleware for GNU/Linux was elucidated in a 2014 GNOME Asia talk. Keep it simple, stupid.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2068477/Indian-farmers-dump-bags-snakes-tax-office-protest-stop-bribery.html

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

triple sulk posted:

you found it

oh I assumed it was the php dude with a photo of himself inventing php

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
well team, ubuntu gnome pulled down some big rear end ota last night and upgraded to 15.10 and now folks there's some small differences and idk if it shakes iout afte a while but it is slow as bricks and lags like gently caress. we will see if it cured my bugs such as sometimes chrome or audacity bring the entire computer down and it cannot be remedied without restarting x

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

well team, ubuntu gnome pulled down some big rear end ota last night and upgraded to 15.10 and now folks there's some small differences and idk if it shakes iout afte a while but it is slow as bricks and lags like gently caress. we will see if it cured my bugs such as sometimes chrome or audacity bring the entire computer down and it cannot be remedied without restarting x

if you use this system for work you should really consider using red hot enterprise linux. why trust your enterprise data with a toy linux for children??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if you use this system for work you should really consider using red hot enterprise linux. why trust your enterprise data with a toy linux for children??

the whole business backend, crm, sales platform, eetc is a ENTERPRISE WEBAPP!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this but centos because smythes operation is a non profit(able)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bobbilljim posted:

this but centos because smythes operation is a non profit(able)

well then smythe might be interested in some of our programs for non profits!

smythe i am going to give your username to one of our ESRs.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 29, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

smythe i am going to give your username to one of our ESRs.

oh god there's more than one?

(he's reinventing NTP right now…)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

oh god there's more than one?

(he's reinventing NTP right now…)

red hat is a 2+ billion dollar per year company. of course we have more than one enterprise sales rep.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

red hat is a 2+ billion dollar per year company. of course we have more than one enterprise sales rep.

:frog:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

what a nostalgia trip

it makes me sad to remember a time when gnome had preferences dialogues and a taskbar and could be used by a regular person

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
bsdboyz works for the weather channel??

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bsdboyz works for the weather channel??

the weather channel is ibm now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also a linux desktop connection: i seem to recall it was the weather channel who paid for the open source r2xx drivers for radeon 9000 and friends

they wanted to replace hp and sgi tv graphics thingers

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They have a local box which generates the graphics for The Weather Channel. They couldn't really use SGI machines anymore after they went belly up, so they shoved FreeBSD on them and paid a lot of money to Tungsten Graphics to have them make drivers.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
sounds like they should've stuck with Amiga

for a few days back in the early 1990s my sister's cable had the Amiga desktop in all its orange and blue and black and white glory instead of the weather channel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

They have a local box which generates the graphics for The Weather Channel. They couldn't really use SGI machines anymore after they went belly up, so they shoved FreeBSD on them and paid a lot of money to Tungsten Graphics to have them make drivers.

their legacy unix vendors were still kicking, but who wants to pay 20k for a unix box if you can do it with linux for $1,000

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
here is my dbus story from today

found out some app was taking way longer to deploy than normal onto a CI box and i look on it and setroubleshootd is constantly spiking CPU because dbus is trying to start infinitely because some datacenter bozo made a custom /etc/group in /root and computer janitors dont know about selinux contexts and so /etc/group had homedir_root_t or something instead of etc_t and caused dbus to barf on startup

i blame the datacenter computer janitor but idk why it takes so much goddamn cpu to log a selinux event

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

https://anders.unix.se/2015/10/28/screenshots-from-developers--unix-people-2002/

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

what a timely url posting you piece of poo poo

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Dennis Ritchie's deskterp tho

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ahmeni posted:

what a timely url posting you piece of poo poo

from wednesday ...... ??

Adbot