Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Inco posted:

The answer is: Tim Follin is a goddamn wizard.

Reading about his work on Bionic Commando made me remember one of my video game favorite opening themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfRM4avPdT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

In Pillars of Eterinity, I'm in Dyrford Village and I get this bit of banter between two of my party members:

Eder: Sagani, does your fox bite?
Sagani: <dryly>Yes.
Eder: I'm gonna pet him anyway.
Sagani: <Suppressing a laugh> It's your hand.
Eder: I'm gonna pet him!

God drat I love this game.

CroatianAlzheimers has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Oct 29, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

In Pillars of Eterinity, I'm in Dyrford Village and I get this bit of banter between to of my party members:

Eder: Sagani, does your fox bite?
Sagani: <dryly>Yes.
Eder: I'm gonna pet him anyway.
Sagani: <Suppressing a laugh> It's your hand.
Eder: I'm gonna pet him!

God drat I love this game.

Wait for it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Subjunctive posted:

Wait for it.

This happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AtP7au_Q9w

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I'm waiting patiently. He hasn't petted the fox yet.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Are we still talking about video game music? Can I talk about Daisuke Ishiwatari, creator and composer of Guilty Gear, and composer for BlazBlue and Contra Hard Corps? Because he has consistently put out some of the best music in any fighting game, often inspired by classic rock

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kavak posted:

Reading about his work on Bionic Commando made me remember one of my video game favorite opening themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfRM4avPdT4

I always liked how the Japanese version of Bionic Commando: Rearmed had a faux-anime intro theme song sung by that one guy who did like every other anime theme song in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7nw4cqiC6s

PubicMice posted:

Are we still talking about video game music?

I always liked the music they did for Wolfenstein: The New Order because it's a game set in a Nazi-occupied version of the 1960s but the soundtrack is all anachronistic distortion music and it kicks rear end. Between that and The Knick having a synth score despite being set in the 1900s I really like that mash-up of period pieces and modern music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-WbbkIZTI

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inco posted:

The answer is: Tim Follin is a goddamn wizard.
Like the soundtrack to loving Pictionary on the NES of all games :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwh3erQlyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bVrwQxDXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU0wBHtgycc

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hopping on the PYF fav VGM train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbsI9xFuo8

Blaring organ? Check?
Ominous chanting? Check.
Prog rock? Check.
Heavy percussion? Check.
Japanese rap?! Check.

If you like that song, this is pretty much the (more traditional) prelude.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Fun fact, Tim Follin is also behind the recent and surprisingly charming FMV game Contradiction: Spot the Liar! that everyone should probably play.

I could link video game music all day but since this is the PYF little things in games thread I'll instead mention that Eschalon: Book II is one of the few games that allows you to say "nope" when asked to save the world after which the game lets you keep playing but you can no longer finish it. There's no real point to it of course, but I always appreciate it when it's a thing that a game allows you to do.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

To be fair, we did get N'wahs With Attitude from Morrowind's title theme, so still pretty high up there.

Also, Surfin' Morrowind

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Croccers posted:

Like the soundtrack to loving Pictionary on the NES of all games :psyduck:

Speaking of little things in games, I've noticed that even if a game is absolute dogshit, you can usually find a good amount of people who think the music is at least "pretty good", and Tim Follin's entire career is making the absolute best music for the worst loving games. Solstice was not a very good game. Pictionary was completely awful. Silver Surfer was probably responsible for a number of broken controllers, back in the day, but goddamn did they have some of the most ambitious music on the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J0H5ah1G7A

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Fun fact, Tim Follin is also behind the recent and surprisingly charming FMV game Contradiction: Spot the Liar! that everyone should probably play.

The guys from Giant Bomb East were doing a playthrough and two of the leads (the main character and the younger Ryan) found out and recorded a special bit of dialog for them.

In Assassin's Creed Syndicate there is a side mission type where you locate and kill Templar agents. When you start the mission they give you a special optional way of completing it. If you look in the menu there's a dossier on all of the Templar agents and the special kill is usually something ironic or appropriate to their crimes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Those videos have really weird preview images and titles considering they all contain Snake Eater AKA The best game music

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Speaking of ambitious music, most composers for the Game Boy settled for 25 second loops. Not the guy composing the title theme for the first Robocop game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZBDNQ3gas

I wasn't the only person who liked that song growing up: http://kotaku.com/5885431/what-do-robocop-washing-machines-dilbert--lil-b-have-in-common

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's one hell of a chill tune for a Robocop game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agnus Dei (Adagio for Strings) counts as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPfY1D3O7C8

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Frank Klepacki :colbert:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Wait for it.

It happened. Very nice.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Time to set the Wayback Machine to 1988, and the game Ultimate Combat Mission. Which wasn't great, let's be fair. As the attached video shows. (Sorry about the cursor; not my video.) It did, however, have a rocking tune by Steve Barrett, who also did the music for a number of other Commodore 64 games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7cJ-zXvuEU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kanfy posted:

On my phone so I can't post videos, but the main character asking people if they've ever seen the mask or the hand gesture before always cracks me up.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Been playing Card Hunter because I'm a nerd and it's really pretty fun even without being a wallet warrior about it - there's a ton of tiny little references to other games, D&D/Magic, and pop culture. I found Donald Trump's hair as a treasure item. :3:

There's also a higher-level version of it that's gold instead of brass, but sells for the same amount.

Also I found Lum's Moccasins, which can only be a reference to Lum the Mad/Scott Jennings, whose wife I worked with for seven years (she's Orylia on the Blizzard forums). :v: Don't see too many references to people I know in non-Blizzard games so that was kinda neat.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been playing the new Warhammer: Vermintide game, and the interactions between characters is great. The elf is a huge dick, but instead of just taking it, every other character just shits on the elf nonstop.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

moosecow333 posted:

every other character just shits on the elf nonstop.

As it should always be.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Me too

One Must Fall: 2097
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOShl4Tcw_E

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The original composer did a reconstruction somewhat recently.

Why did the perfect fighting game have to die?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

It happened. Very nice.

Ok, now be sure to have both Edér and Sagani with you when you talk to Simoc in the Hall of Warriors.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Dragonwagon posted:

Ok, now be sure to have both Edér and Sagani with you when you talk to Simoc in the Hall of Warriors.

Hah! Will do. Eder is my favorite NPC. Even before the whole fox thing, Eder won my heart asking Aloth if he could talk to Aloth's girlfriend, the one in his head, because she's just so funny.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

TheKennedys posted:

Been playing Card Hunter because I'm a nerd and it's really pretty fun even without being a wallet warrior about it - there's a ton of tiny little references to other games, D&D/Magic, and pop culture. I found Donald Trump's hair as a treasure item. :3:

There's also a higher-level version of it that's gold instead of brass, but sells for the same amount.

Also I found Lum's Moccasins, which can only be a reference to Lum the Mad/Scott Jennings, whose wife I worked with for seven years (she's Orylia on the Blizzard forums). :v: Don't see too many references to people I know in non-Blizzard games so that was kinda neat.

Sick name drop bro

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Speaking of C64 games with underwhelming gameplay but great music, Driller (known as Space Station Oblivion in the States) was a game where you were trying to vent gas from an artificial moon before it exploded by finding the right spots to drill. The means by which you figured this out ranged from obvious (a big X on the ground) to obtuse (a screenshot showing a location to drill, well before Metal Gear Solid pulled that, with no hint to actually look there), and the 3D gameplay was slow and clunky. Of the games I played in my youth, it's not exactly one I'd pull out for the retro emu party.

However, it did have an extremely atmospheric soundtrack that conveyed the sensation of being alone in an alien, hostile environment. The tune was so recognizable that, lo these many years later, when I heard it in a Youtube video I knew exactly what game it came from, and I soon tracked down a full version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UzJUCPkCjo

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been playing Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor and as you progress you unlock a couple skills that terrify enemies when you kill their nearby comrades. The looks of horror and trembling on the faces of Uruks as they watch you explode the heads of their fellows are hilarious.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The orcs' facial animations in SoM are absolutely incredible.

The humans' animations are... well, they can sometimes be distinct in their own way.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

FutonForensic posted:

The orcs' facial animations in SoM are absolutely incredible.

The humans' animations are... well, they can sometimes be distinct in their own way.

SoM is one of those games where it was really really apparent what the developers spent most of their time on

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Considering messing with the orcs is that game's best part i think it's effort well spent.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I've been playing the new Warhammer: Vermintide game, and the interactions between characters is great. The elf is a huge dick, but instead of just taking it, every other character just shits on the elf nonstop.

This is actually a really rare and satisfying thing to see, in most games when there's a terrible character you hate, you just have to deal with it because apparently the devs didn't realize what an awful character they made. But vermintide knows the elf is a terrible and you will hate her so the other four characters can't stand her either.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FutonForensic posted:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every game that lets your character smoke cigarettes is good: Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid, The Saboteur, Deadly Premonition...

Fairly certain Vanquish has a cigarette button. I think it might even be a face button. It's like 'press B to smoke'. Also, it's been a while, but the protagonist has a French accent if I recall properly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

well why not posted:

Fairly certain Vanquish has a cigarette button. I think it might even be a face button. It's like 'press B to smoke'. Also, it's been a while, but the protagonist has a French accent if I recall properly.

Wrong on both counts. It's a shoulder button, and he's a gravelly american ex quarterback :patriot:.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I just replayed the Throne of Bhaal add-on for Baldur's Gate 2 and remembered this neat little thing: when you play through both Baldur's Gate games and ToB (something which will probably take upwards of 80 hours even on a fast playthrough) you'll find three related items across all three parts of the saga. In the first game, you can encounter a nobleman who mistakes you for housestaff and asks you to bring his trousers to the dry-cleaner. When you're honest and tell him that you're not who he thinks you are, he'll apologise and nothing else will happen. If you play along though, he'll give you his golden pantaloons. Even though their item description goes on and on about how great they are, they are actually completely useless throughout the game and will never be brought up again. Most players will probably ditch them sonner or later, as inventory space can be a rare commodity.

When you still had the pantaloons by the end of BG1 and then exported your party over to BG2, they would be hidden behind a trapped painting in the very first area of the game. Throughout BG2, there would still be no hints at all how you could use them. Instead you could stumble upon a quest where you would rescue a man buried alive and then proceed to hunt down his tormenters. When you had managed to track them down and kill them, in the upper floor of their hideout there would be a kidnapped noblewoman awaiting her release. You could either let her go for a modest xp boost, or tell her to stay put. By finding the ransom note you would then know where and when to go to get her ransom, which consists of a pair of silver pantaloons. Your reputation would take a big hit though, leading to higher prices in stores or even to the city watch outright attacking you. Still no apparent use for either pantaloons, though.

A bit later in the game you would enter a prison built for wizards and other gifted types. In one of the cells would be the previous overseer of the prison who had gone mad and thought he was still in charge. When the party talks to him twice, he would give out a gibberish memo, consisting of nothing but seemingly random letters.

...except it is actually a simple substitution cipher, and the memo says (among other crazy things) that his "pantaloons are full of weasels". OK.

Being patient and talking to him again (and again, and again..., as the second memo only appears in a fraction of all conversations), he would sometimes give you a second cipher:

quote:

You think I am crazy, but they want you to think that. I know secrets. Keep the pantaloons. Always keep the pantaloons.

After that there is no mention again of the pantaloons anywhere else in the game.

When you for some reason kept both pantaloons in your possession throughout both games and then continued playing into Throne of Bhaal, you'd find a gnomish smith in the last third of the add-on. This smith tells you that he can do something cool with your pantaloons, but a third set is required.

Later on you enter a dragon's lair and find a mad wizard along with three petrified adventurers. The wizard tells you that he would only give you a certain quest item when you bring him the eyestalk of a beholder. The game railroads you into claiming that this fetch quest is below your pay grade, and so you can either simply kill the wizard and get on with it or de-petrify the adventurers to have them retrieve the stalk. When you do the latter they'll come back with the stalk... and a pair of bronze pantaloons (after an amusing cutscene where they think they can take you on, get thoroughly crushed by you and then reload, being all nice and friendly to you)!

Now bring all three pantaloons to the smith, who'll turn them into the "Big Metal Unit", the best armour in the game by a laughably wide margin, along with a "Big Metal Rod" which can either fire jets of fire, magic energy missiles or frag grenades. It's awesome!

...but when donning the armour, the character wearing it turns into a massive golem. You'll be nigh invincible, but unable to fit through most doors :allears:

(this would probably also fit in the pyf trolls in games thread :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wrong on both counts. It's a shoulder button, and he's a gravelly american ex quarterback :patriot:.

the only game more american than vanquish is metal wolf chaos.