Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sloober posted:

I think there is enough munchkin to use 25 copies.

Holy crap you're not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

The Munchkin Cthulhu Dice of Doom are produced by Q-workshop under license from Steve Jackson Games for the game Munchkin Cthulhu. It contains 1 D10, 2 D6s, and a dice bag with a picture of Cowthulhu.

:shepicide:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is anyone here good with Magic Set Editor? I'm trying to do a super simple template for prototyping, but I'm not really getting anywhere.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sector_corrector posted:

Is anyone here good with Magic Set Editor? I'm trying to do a super simple template for prototyping, but I'm not really getting anywhere.
I just adapt the basic template, but you might have some luck asking in the Board Game Design thread.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sloober posted:

No you would lose one of that is a very special trash-sassin.

All options are assassin when munchkin.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Can I request a trip report on 7 Wonder Duel and the latest edition of Through the Ages?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

dishwasherlove posted:

Can I request a trip report on 7 Wonder Duel and the latest edition of Through the Ages?

Hopefully early next week on TTA but my game playing partner is burning out and we have three days of new gaming coming up. Maybe someone else can report too.

Tomorrow a full game of Food Chain Magnate.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Played my third game of Vinhos today and I have to say that the game gets better and better on every playthrough. This was the first time that my gf and I understood the optimal paths of the game well enough to know how to block each other and the game really started to kick rear end. There's a lot of desperate blocking and hitting spaces just before your opponent can, especially with the managers' special actions that let you score pointss. I can tell that game would probably feel even more mindbogglingly difficult (ie fun) with three or four players, but it remains good with two.

If you do try it out, you should be aware that it will likely feel a little "loose" your first playthrough with two. It is unlikely that both players will realize at the baseline for skilled play is to produce wine in enough abundance early to be able to take advantage of many special actions by the managers. Without the competitions based around this, the game can feel like solitaire point-optimization. Much of the interaction comes from how players choose to make use of the ways of scoring, which means that only players who understand how to score well will be interacting meaningfully.

(This is, to a degree, true of all euros, but you are unlikely to "feel" other players' presences as meaningfully in Vinhos until you bump into each other through managers' special actions or the foreign markets.)

We still have yet to break out Kanban, but I'm really warming up to Vital based off of this game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Played my third game of Vinhos today and I have to say that the game gets better and better on every playthrough. This was the first time that my gf and I understood the optimal paths of the game well enough to know how to block each other and the game really started to kick rear end. There's a lot of desperate blocking and hitting spaces just before your opponent can, especially with the managers' special actions that let you score pointss. I can tell that game would probably feel even more mindbogglingly difficult (ie fun) with three or four players, but it remains good with two.

If you do try it out, you should be aware that it will likely feel a little "loose" your first playthrough with two. It is unlikely that both players will realize at the baseline for skilled play is to produce wine in enough abundance early to be able to take advantage of many special actions by the managers. Without the competitions based around this, the game can feel like solitaire point-optimization. Much of the interaction comes from how players choose to make use of the ways of scoring, which means that only players who understand how to score well will be interacting meaningfully.

(This is, to a degree, true of all euros, but you are unlikely to "feel" other players' presences as meaningfully in Vinhos until you bump into each other through managers' special actions or the foreign markets.)

We still have yet to break out Kanban, but I'm really warming up to Vital based off of this game.

I liked Kanban a lot more than Vinhos personally, it's a much tighter design that still retains the feeling of not being able to get everything done that Vinhos had. One of the few point salad games that I can stand as well.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

7 Wonders Duel is basically everything you like about 7 Wonders boiled down to two players. It's good, but it's not revolutionary in any way.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I learned and played 5 Tribes for the first time last night.

I'd be up for another game of it, it took a little while for it to click but it's far more straightforward than it seemed at first.

Anyone even slightly partial to AP is all like though

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

I learned and played 5 Tribes for the first time last night.

I'd be up for another game of it, it took a little while for it to click but it's far more straightforward than it seemed at first.

Anyone even slightly partial to AP is all like though

It's not even AP, just A. You can literally math out your best move every turn (thinking ahead is pointless given how much the board changes), if your friends are patient enough. If you do this and the others don't, you will probably win. I've played the game a few times and I suspect it's a trap game; it looks like it has a lot of depth, but there's little hidden information (hiding the trade goods barely counts and if you play games once-known-always known then welp) and verrry basic calculations. It's not like you even have to consider the Assassins most turns anyway, so it's not even all five tribes that you have to add up. The djinns also feel like misplaced design depth, considering how few make it into a given game. They're MADE like starting factions and end up being tiny bonuses that don't even appear in every game.

For people who have not played enough designer boardgames to see the Matrix, I think it's fine and maybe even better than fine in terms of what it does, though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Those are some decent points I hadn't really cottoned onto in that first game.

We played 4 players, planning was at least not useless in the sense that it let the game move faster. There were only ever really a handful of most valuable moves so if someone ahead of you in the bidding took one of them you briefly think or say "you rear end in a top hat, I was going to do that!" then take the next best one. We did have one guy who was just :psyduck: about the sheer number of [technically] possible moves that can be made.

I'd be up for another game if only because the first felt like a throwaway to get a handle on reading the board and knowing what you can do and why.

I kind of liked the way movement works. Kind of a mancala, kind of a rondel. I like it because I think easily that way; it's really visual and spatial.

Despite all this I know 5 Tribes won't be a game I ever crave or anything but it was fun to try.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

homullus posted:

The djinns also feel like misplaced design depth, considering how few make it into a given game. They're MADE like starting factions and end up being tiny bonuses that don't even appear in every game.

This bugged me, too. All the diverse djinn powers and point values (which warrant the cheat sheet) led me to expect they'd play a much larger role. The whole game feels like "let's use every single mechanic!"

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I played five tribes once and found it to be a merely ok experience. I'd play it if that were the thing a group was playing, but is suggest something else. The temptation to AP is very strong, and the game is a good example of what euros would be like if those old jokes about them being themed arithmetic simulators were true. I found that it was very easy to wander away from the table and come back for my turn because even normally very polite players couldn't resist the throes of AP. That being said, There's something really appealing about the mechanic and I think the idea itself is novel. Too bad about the execution.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
My copy of Food Chain Magnate just came in, aaaaa. Hopefully I can get a game in this weekend.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
They need to make the new version of Through the Ages available in the U.S. now. I'm always a little unnerved by CGE or Fred Distribution or whatever other combination of mystery seems to be involved in distributing Vlaada games. I think I ended up buying about three copies of the game the first time around to finally get one that didn't have poo poo like missing numbers on scoring tracks and such. And now it appears that there is distribution oddness again (people having the game in Europe, but it not even being available for pre-order on a single website in the U.S., other than, as previously mentioned, the goofy assed CGE distributor).

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Played some Cuba Libre yesterday for the first time. I played the government faction and got wrreeeeeecked by Fidel's revolutionaries. The systems in the game are on their own very simple (card draw, choose what one thing you want to do, do that thing), but the asymmetry of the factions' actions and victory conditions makes the first play very difficult to get a strategic handle on (especially for the government, I think). I found myself basically saying "I guess I'll do this, but I have no idea whether it's a good move." over and over. Very, very interesting game, though; my friends and I talked a lot about the strategy afterwards, and we want to play it again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

They need to make the new version of Through the Ages available in the U.S. now. I'm always a little unnerved by CGE or Fred Distribution or whatever other combination of mystery seems to be involved in distributing Vlaada games. I think I ended up buying about three copies of the game the first time around to finally get one that didn't have poo poo like missing numbers on scoring tracks and such. And now it appears that there is distribution oddness again (people having the game in Europe, but it not even being available for pre-order on a single website in the U.S., other than, as previously mentioned, the goofy assed CGE distributor).

At least once it does come through there will be enough copies for everyone, unlike Codenames (probably.)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Mister Sinewave posted:

Those are some decent points I hadn't really cottoned onto in that first game.

We played 4 players, planning was at least not useless in the sense that it let the game move faster. There were only ever really a handful of most valuable moves so if someone ahead of you in the bidding took one of them you briefly think or say "you rear end in a top hat, I was going to do that!" then take the next best one. We did have one guy who was just :psyduck: about the sheer number of [technically] possible moves that can be made.
The problem is every time you move you're changing the points potential of every square that can reach one of the squares you changed. Add to that the desire to make sure you're not leaving anything really good for the other players, and it's a ton of variables to crunch if you're trying to play optimally.

E: Bottom line I think the game offers interesting spatial puzzles to solve, but it's not a very good game to play at a table with other people.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 29, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Caedar posted:

Played some Cuba Libre yesterday for the first time. I played the government faction and got wrreeeeeecked by Fidel's revolutionaries. The systems in the game are on their own very simple (card draw, choose what one thing you want to do, do that thing), but the asymmetry of the factions' actions and victory conditions makes the first play very difficult to get a strategic handle on (especially for the government, I think). I found myself basically saying "I guess I'll do this, but I have no idea whether it's a good move." over and over. Very, very interesting game, though; my friends and I talked a lot about the strategy afterwards, and we want to play it again.

COIN is a bit of an odd duck, it's kinda hard to know what you should be doing in general and the Cuban government is probably one of the hardest factions to play right. Did you read the playbook as well as the rulebook? It's got strategy tips as well as a more detailed explanation of general counterinsurgent strategy.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

CGE is actually the publisher themselves, they took control over US distribution of most of their own games due largely to how Z-Man handled Tash Kalar, at least from what I can tell. Eagle-Gryphon is still handling US distribution for the new TTA though.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

taser rates posted:

CGE is actually the publisher themselves, they took control over US distribution of most of their own games due largely to how Z-Man handled Tash Kalar, at least from what I can tell. Eagle-Gryphon is still handling US distribution for the new TTA though.

Yes, my bad, Eagle-Gryphon. That's my general point, though. The only thing I've seen on U.S. distribution for this game have been some vague rumblings about it being available for pre-order at some point and them babbling about having U.S. distribution rights.

This does not happen for other games. Instead, they just appear for sale on coolstuffinc, etc.

EDIT: I hope it's very clear I'm not raging at anyone here. It just always seems Vlaada games go through some bizarre fuckups in publication and distribution that everyone else seems to somehow avoid (e.g. Shades of Tezla being a complete pile of dogshit production-wise). I like Through the Ages. I really like it. So I'm basically just raging at the possibility that once again, the process around Vlaada's game publication and distribution will once again take a gem and gently caress it up somehow.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 29, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

I kind of liked the way movement works. Kind of a mancala, kind of a rondel. I like it because I think easily that way; it's really visual and spatial.

The game is close to being something pretty neat! And I do see why people like it, and how it would be good for a younger audience, since it's colorful and tactile and you get to DO THINGS every turn by definition. What it isn't, though, is a game where you can have much of an ongoing strategy, or think about your moves ahead of time, or play with people who have AP or are super-competitive (because they'll feel compelled to math out their turns). It would be a fun app game against AI opponents.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just managed to win our February game of pandemic legacy. Game delivers so far. We played both two players and four player to good effect.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Anyone know if Codenames sold internationally uses British English spellings? I'm wondering if the South African cousins are getting Yankee Doodle spellings in their box of Codenames
(looks like some South African online sellers have copies at MSRP, but good luck navigating that mail system)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I saw on Twitter today that Codenames reprint should hit US retailers soon for you guys still waiting on a copy.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Bottom Liner posted:

I saw on Twitter today that Codenames reprint should hit US retailers soon for you guys still waiting on a copy.
Awesome. Every time I see an email notification I get my hopes up that it's from CSI.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

homullus posted:

It's not even AP, just A. You can literally math out your best move every turn (thinking ahead is pointless given how much the board changes), if your friends are patient enough. If you do this and the others don't, you will probably win. I've played the game a few times and I suspect it's a trap game; it looks like it has a lot of depth, but there's little hidden information (hiding the trade goods barely counts and if you play games once-known-always known then welp) and verrry basic calculations. It's not like you even have to consider the Assassins most turns anyway, so it's not even all five tribes that you have to add up. The djinns also feel like misplaced design depth, considering how few make it into a given game. They're MADE like starting factions and end up being tiny bonuses that don't even appear in every game.

For people who have not played enough designer boardgames to see the Matrix, I think it's fine and maybe even better than fine in terms of what it does, though.

Yeah, I finally played this and feel the same way. It reminds of timed math or entry level physics exams where you are just quietly applying a formula, double checking your work, and trying to not take too long

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

We finished a full two player game of Food Chain Magnate.

It's 'meta' is very much like The Great Zimbabwe and also reminds me of Dominant Species. Basically you can put stuff on the board, but there's no way to own that stuff, nor keep it. Other players can affect the board and can cause your cash flow to drastically change. You have a bewildering number of choices each turn, even I'm going to have to give in to some AP, it's just really overwhelming. Which is OK I think, they tell you the game could go four hours and I could see that.

One thing that's really cool though is that you can help the game go on longer. There are clearly strategies that will take some time to really bloom, so if you want to do one of those, you put $300 (range is $100-300) in the bank reserve (you start with 50X the number of players in the bank and then when that runs out you go to the reserve). If you've played mostly tactical, my suspicion is that you want the game to end sooner, so you put $100 in the bank reserve. I really like that. Somewhat reminiscent of Martin Wallace's Automobile, but much more effectively implemented.

The downside to the game is that you are going to need a lot of plays to get good at the game, and the whole group is going to need to be good at the game for it to really shine. I'm strongly considering starting an every other Sunday strategy board game session and this would be a great start to it.

We are playing a five player on Saturday, 3 new players. First we'll do the intro (DO THE INTRO!!) and then do a full game. I'll report back on that as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Fred/EagleGames is involved because they distributed the first TTA. The reason CGE went to self-distribution in the US is because Zman kept over pricing their games and badly publishing them. I would assume that CGE was happy with EagleGames distribution of the original game so they just stayed with EagleGames. TTA is the only CGE game that's ever been published by Eaglegames, the rest were RGG and Zman.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Trip report:

Codenames is great. We did the two teams one spy 3p variation, and it worked very nicely, but I can certainly see 4 and then 6 being better player counts. We played three times and I think won one each. I found it VERY hard to give more than one count clues a lot of the time, because there was just too much chance for misinterpretation. I think I did a 3-clue once.

Between Two Cities is a nice quick game for LOTS of people, but three I feel is probably the worst player count. Still, it was certainly interesting, and again, quick.

We also played Pharoah's Favour again, which is fun, but still basically yahtzee.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

StashAugustine posted:

COIN is a bit of an odd duck, it's kinda hard to know what you should be doing in general and the Cuban government is probably one of the hardest factions to play right. Did you read the playbook as well as the rulebook? It's got strategy tips as well as a more detailed explanation of general counterinsurgent strategy.

Yup, I read the playbook. It makes more sense now that I've read it once. One thing I was struggling with that I'm still not 100% on is the difference between Troops and Police.

Troops: Used to smash heads in. More flexible in movement during turns than Police, but always go back to bases or cities at Propaganda. Needed for Civil Action (with Police).

Police: Used as extra bodies (to reveal Marching Guerrillas, prevent bases from getting wrecked, etc.) and to prevent *bad stuff* from happening (Assassinate, Kidnap, etc.). Needed for Civil Action (with Troops). More flexible in where they can be stationed, and super mobile at Propaganda, but less mobile during turns.

Anything major I missed?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Lorini posted:

Fred/EagleGames is involved because they distributed the first TTA. The reason CGE went to self-distribution in the US is because Zman kept over pricing their games and badly publishing them. I would assume that CGE was happy with EagleGames distribution of the original game so they just stayed with EagleGames. TTA is the only CGE game that's ever been published by Eaglegames, the rest were RGG and Zman.

Yes, and the first TTA was a bit of a clusterfuck too quite honestly. As I said, I know that I purchased at least two copies, the second because the first printing had things goofed up, and I recall having to put stickers on my game board, get sent replacement cards, and other stupidity.

That's literally the reason I remember Fred. Because of how lovely things were with TTA right after it came out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Caedar posted:

Yup, I read the playbook. It makes more sense now that I've read it once. One thing I was struggling with that I'm still not 100% on is the difference between Troops and Police.

Troops: Used to smash heads in. More flexible in movement during turns than Police, but always go back to bases or cities at Propaganda. Needed for Civil Action (with Police).

Police: Used as extra bodies (to reveal Marching Guerrillas, prevent bases from getting wrecked, etc.) and to prevent *bad stuff* from happening (Assassinate, Kidnap, etc.). Needed for Civil Action (with Troops). More flexible in where they can be stationed, and super mobile at Propaganda, but less mobile during turns.

Anything major I missed?

Yeah that's basically it. Troops are your strike forces that go in an flush out the rebels, police garrison the cities and once you get a base up and running you send a few in so you can Civic Action. Remember that you can move Police both by redeployment and by Training but both require a base. Batista is kinda tough to learn counter-insurgent strategy from since he has a lot of weaknesses- an incredibly lovely economy and very capable rebels. Make sure to get on the good side of the Syndicate (while taking their money) and don't overextend yourself.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

We proxied up Hanabi using MTG cards and it was a lot of fun. The real set comes with mahjong type tiles, right? We were starting to get claw hand.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The worst submarine posted:

We proxied up Hanabi using MTG cards and it was a lot of fun. The real set comes with mahjong type tiles, right? We were starting to get claw hand.

No, the real set is just a deck of cards. The deluxe set is tiles.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Got my KS copy of The Gallerist tonight, looks so nice I can't wait to play. People weren't kidding about the production value of this game, I've never seen thicker cardboard in a game and the insert is awesome. When everything is put in the box it all fits very snug, really well designed.

EBag fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 30, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah that's basically it. Troops are your strike forces that go in an flush out the rebels, police garrison the cities and once you get a base up and running you send a few in so you can Civic Action. Remember that you can move Police both by redeployment and by Training but both require a base. Batista is kinda tough to learn counter-insurgent strategy from since he has a lot of weaknesses- an incredibly lovely economy and very capable rebels. Make sure to get on the good side of the Syndicate (while taking their money) and don't overextend yourself.
Also note that to win as the government you need only the cities and a single 2 Pop province at active support. It's difficult to do much more than that. Also, win early :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nique
May 18, 2006

Planning on picking up Pandemic:Legacy and will be playing it exclusively 2player - will it work well controlling one character per player, or better to take 2 each?