Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Agrajag posted:

this emblem bonuses poo poo is super hosed up imo. they've just turned this into pay2win with the emblems.

While I don't like the emblems giving bonuses, I don't see how it's any more pay2win than camo/premium ammo since you can buy all of those with credits anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mmkay posted:

While I don't like the emblems giving bonuses, I don't see how it's any more pay2win than camo/premium ammo since you can buy all of those with credits anyway.

The gold camo change was pay-to-win, but it was very minor - it commits you to playing a small number of tanks if you want to play optimally (e: while spending credits instead of gold), since affording camo for each season on more than 5-10 tanks is difficult, and it also takes a huge amount more effort than not bothering with it. It's also just a -5% view range reduction to your opponents, which is cool but whatever, it only matters at a certain range, and only on some maps.

Getting 4% crew skill is a small bonus, but if you could have four equipment slots, almost every tank would have vents and it wouldn't be exceptionally close. Right now I just prefer optics, but having vents AND optics while retaining VStab and Rammer would be great. +2% reload time and gun handling and view range and mobility and acceleration and maybe camo/repair time if it works the same way as BiA - all those bonuses are unnoticeable but they do add up.

Also the whole emblem system is loving stupid. Some decals provide THIS bonus to THIS crewmember. Some decals provide THIS bonus to ALL crewmembers. There is no rhyme or reason to what bonus comes from what. Who the gently caress wants to spend hours in the garage min/maxing the loving words written on your tank? gently caress that poo poo. It's just a loving chore to avoid being out-performed by a player who was willing to waste hours of their time playing dress-up. And certain tanks require certain loadouts depending on their job - I may need more camo/view range if I need my Batchat to passive scout, or better gun handling and clip reload if it's going assault-mode or if I need to switch to the 90mm or 100mm (for certain maps like Mines South spawn). Now, when switching, I need to swap the gun, reload the ammo, swap my consumables, and swap my emblems - all four emblems, probably. gently caress that.

If I could pay 10000 gold to just have all my tanks get whatever bonus I feel I need at that particular time, cool whatever. Just have a button I click, that says "+3% Crew Skill" or maybe let me make loadouts, without more microtransactions. I don't give a poo poo about the gold, since I can make as much as I want in tournaments. I just want to spend more time shooting tanks than not.

Also the emblems and inscriptions are loving dull and ugly so there's that. Also the Comet doesn't get a full loadout of inscriptions which is clearly a hateful plot by Wargaming specifically targeting me.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 29, 2015

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
You pay 500k credits to RENT inscriptions for 30 days or whatever so if you play a lot of different tanks while platooning you are either going to get fistfucked by anyone who actually bought their inscriptions or you are out of credits so good luck.

Also war thunder has been doing some poo poo lately aswell. Is the virtual tank market heading into recession or what?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
WT100 is brokenly OP when played right, but that's the whole reason I went up the stupid line. Replacing it makes sense from a game balance perspective, but it shits all over the time I put into getting it. I dunno what I am going to use for the "get an absurd amount of damage in anything/a TD" missions :(

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

RocketSurgeon posted:

Also war thunder has been doing some poo poo lately aswell. Is the virtual tank market heading into recession or what?

The ruble crashed, which meant that the russian market lost about half its value unless you have a major need to purchase borsht. Management decided that instead of just saying "force majeure, shitsux" and carrying on as before they were going to try and wring every last penny out of the playerbase from now on, and quick. Gotta keep the quarterlies up.

Which means one of two things: either they weren't trying to maximize their profits before (lol), or they intend to prioritize short-term gains and drat the consequences.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I dunno what I am going to use for the "get an absurd amount of damage in anything/a TD" missions :(

I had some success with T30 and I heard the T110E3 is pretty good as well.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I had a good night. Got a Mark of Excellence on the KV-5 (which absolutely nobody has played in the last 14 days) and an Ace Tanker on my AMX M4 45.

I'm super e-proud of myself and my pix tanks.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
They're probably gonna shitcan the emblem crap at this point. Like horns. They swore up and down horns were happening too, until they were quietly shelved.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Prav posted:

Which means one of two things: either they weren't trying to maximize their profits before (lol), or they intend to prioritize short-term gains and drat the consequences.

I think WoT isn't going to last much longer because all the content people were interested in has already been released ages ago (german heavies for the wehraboos, soviet heavies for the vatnik russian playerbase, Easy 8 for true patriots), and what is coming up next is mostly meh : more battle modes that will be balanced for minimal XP/cred profits, ultra exclusive premium limited time offer tier 10 tanks for Clan Wars players that 99% of the wot public will be lucky to even see in game, czech tanks that will maybe interest some czech players, more garbage french tanks, swedish tree that will have a tier 10 TD that actuallly was a MBT... Their garbage bigworld engine is getting old fast and the hilariously obscure and asinine gameplay mechanics look like poo poo compared to the competition.

WoWS has apparently managed to kind of not be too much of a failure for now, WoWP is unplayable trash, and WoT is looking kind of bad now so yup, gotta maximize dem short term profits otherwise we won't make the downpayment on our Cyprus Bank headquarters.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prav posted:

The ruble crashed, which meant that the russian market lost about half its value unless you have a major need to purchase borsht. Management decided that instead of just saying "force majeure, shitsux" and carrying on as before they were going to try and wring every last penny out of the playerbase from now on, and quick. Gotta keep the quarterlies up.

The inscription system isn't even going to be a huge cash cow for WG. The bonus is so small that SerB's daddies aren't going to care about it. The only players who look at a 4% crew skill bonus and think "absolutely gotta have that tiny performance boost on every tank" are competitive players and compulsive minmaxers. WG might squeeze extra money out of these whales but no one else will be buying. We've seen the backlash and we know from long experience that catering to whales is an awful idea that eventually drives every other paying customer from the game. So it's easy to see how inscription bonuses are a losing proposition economically.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I don't even thing they cater to whales very well, I'd be spending more money on WoT if I could just buy pixel tanks to horde. Instead they jack up prices by bundling them which poo poo I literally cannot use like more prem time because I have already whaled myself a year of the stuff. Their offers seem mostly focused on brand new players who unaccountable want to spend £40 on a "starter pack" which includes a gimmick tank.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Kuntz posted:

They're probably gonna shitcan the emblem crap at this point. Like horns. They swore up and down horns were happening too, until they were quietly shelved.

Horns were awesome and exactly the kind of thing that would have both made WG more money and made the game more fun. Please don't compare them with this horseshit.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The inscription system isn't even going to be a huge cash cow for WG. The bonus is so small that SerB's daddies aren't going to care about it. The only players who look at a 4% crew skill bonus and think "absolutely gotta have that tiny performance boost on every tank" are competitive players and compulsive minmaxers. WG might squeeze extra money out of these whales but no one else will be buying. We've seen the backlash and we know from long experience that catering to whales is an awful idea that eventually drives every other paying customer from the game. So it's easy to see how inscription bonuses are a losing proposition economically.

Oh yes it's absolutely a failure on every level. It's increasingly obvious that the design talent that WG had back in 2010 just isn't there any more.

Prav fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 29, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i bet they binned the horns because eastern european potato computers on celerons cant run them

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Does AW have horns?

e: that was fast. Shame about the Bomberman Sudden Death mode though.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 29, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know why you guys still play this game. I've gone over to WT and have not looked back. The main reason, in front of all others, is simply because you don't have to give a poo poo about your team winning or losing. If you play well then you get rewarded well.

The next thing is that you can totally skip playing a tank because vehicle research is decopled from individual tanks in the tech tree. So no more smaahing your dick with a bad tank grind to get to the next one. Paired with this is that it doesn't feel like you have to grind nearly as much to get to a new vehicle.

Another thing is that the varety provided by tanks, planes and the various game modes goes a long way towards avoiding burn-out.

Lastly, it generally feels like the game doesn't go out of it's way to poo poo on you with RNG. If you aim correctly, your shell goes where it should and not into the tracks or the ground.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Xerxes17 posted:

I don't know why you guys still play this game.
It's okay, neither do we

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
WT isn't fun to play. For all its problems, WoT's core gameplay is pretty fun.

Hellsau posted:

Thank gently caress.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
wot is actually cool and good

playerbase ehh

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Personally, I still enjoy playing this game. The parts of this game I don't enjoy (losing constantly, lovely teams, etc.) would still happen in any other PvP game, so I might as well stick with the game I have fun with and have made lots of progress in than start over somewhere else.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
the gameplay mechanics itself is really well done it's when you're stuck with idiots and a system where losses are always punishing regardless of performance.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Agrajag posted:

the gameplay mechanics itself is really well done it's when you're stuck with idiots and a system where losses are always punishing regardless of performance.

worse is when you're punished for winning because you had a contingent of players who don't actually want to play the game, so they just cap out when it's 14v7 and your team has two times the HP of the enemy and surprise no one gets over 500 base xp for that match, thanks you cowardly pieces of poo poo.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Capping only becomes possible when there are fewer than 5 minutes left in the battle.

It wouldn't solve the problem, but it would at least eliminate the most egregious fastcaps.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agrajag posted:

This and high alpha/bad balance tanks. I enjoy the core gameplay and concept I just can get over artillery being RNG "hit you are hosed; miss you laugh/sigh".

If I got rewarded better for playing well on a losing team (if I didnt need a medal or whatever to get winning XP/credits) it would be nice. Oh, I did more damage than the rest of my team combined, but didnt get Top Gun/Confederate/Sniper/whatever I still get shat on? Wonderful!

If players didnt get punished for not hiding behind cover because otherwise artillery will nuke them it would be great too. I have to quit the game when I flank someone then die before I get two shots off because I have to go in the open to flank someone, and going in the open gets you killed by artillery. The game actively promotes passive gameplay and it sucks.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's hope Wargaming is going to address these complaints in their 2016 Fix Everything Campaign. The most egregious things that are hosed in WoT are well done in AW, so they just have to do what Obsidian did and mercilessly rip off the competition.

In actual gameplay discussion, which tier 6 derp tank is better: O-I or KV-2? I don't need both because I don't enjoy that style of play enough to do it very often and I'd like to use the crews in other tanks. I'm leaning towards keeping the O-I fwiw.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

O-I and it isn't very close. Being functionally immortal to lower tier tanks is worth the trade of poorly modeled side armor and slightly longer reload. Also the O-I has an absurd view range for a tier 6, which is quite useful. Also none of the Japanese mediums are really keepers so you won't be struggling for crews.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hellsau posted:

Does AW have horns?

Can I have the gold I blew on the emblem sale back then? It wasn't much, but I sure as hell would not have put lovely pictures on the ranks I put them on if it wasn't for ptw.

Hellsau posted:

worse is when you're punished for winning because you had a contingent of players who don't actually want to play the game, so they just cap out when it's 14v7 and your team has two times the HP of the enemy and surprise no one gets over 500 base xp for that match, thanks you cowardly pieces of poo poo.

Stupid loving cap missions don't help.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 29, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Can I have the gold I blew on the emblem sale back then? It wasn't much, but I sure as hell would not have put lovely pictures on the ranks I put them on if it wasn't for ptw.

"no and you're an idiot now give us more money" --- Wargaming.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

Does AW have horns?

well it seems you called it. WG is smart enough to not do something that would chase players away to their competitors

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Agrajag posted:

well it seems you called it. WG is smart enough to not do something that would chase players away to their competitors

I didn't call it completely - I forgot that idiots would pre-buy emblems and inscriptions, thereby taking gold out of the system for a pointless thing. That was way smarter than I gave them credit for.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

If players didnt get punished for not hiding behind cover because otherwise artillery will nuke them it would be great too. I have to quit the game when I flank someone then die before I get two shots off because I have to go in the open to flank someone, and going in the open gets you killed by artillery. The game actively promotes passive gameplay and it sucks.

Whenever you die to arty just tell yourself that he got lucky, because he did. I'm currently trying to get Ace Tanker in some Tier 6 artillery, and the number of times you have to shoot at even a stationary target in order to hit it is bullshit. It doesn't help that Tier 6 artillery have zero splash, so if the round deviates even slightly from dead center you aren't doing any damage whatsoever.

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4

Hellsau posted:

Does AW have horns?

Thank you.....

Now if only WG would get the hint about 10.0. Since it got more than double the downvotes then upvotes

No one wants to grind rampage mode... We just have to hope the mission to get the t-22SR isnt a loving awefull grind because the tank is really good.

Exia00 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 29, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What are the other problems with 10.0? I thought the only thing people cared about were the inscriptions.

Hellsau posted:

O-I and it isn't very close. Being functionally immortal to lower tier tanks is worth the trade of poorly modeled side armor and slightly longer reload. Also the O-I has an absurd view range for a tier 6, which is quite useful. Also none of the Japanese mediums are really keepers so you won't be struggling for crews.

This was my exact thinking, thanks.

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

What are the other problems with 10.0? I thought the only thing people cared about were the inscriptions.

This was my exact thinking, thanks.

My problem is and probably will be the rampage mission to get the t10 tank. No one likes the lovely game mode so they add a strong tank to force people to play it.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Hellsau posted:

The O-I is so grossly overpowered when top tier it isn't even funny. I can't believe it hasn't been nerfed yet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lol they are removing the gas cloud too fuckign christ

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4

Bort Bortles posted:

lol they are removing the gas cloud too fuckign christ

Yeah we are playing tanks not H1Z1. Maybe now they will come up with an original idea.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

10.0 test 2 posted:

Reworked aiming system to minimize the discrepancy between shot trajectories on client and server side

Are they actually trying to address the desync problems? After all these years?

Or am I reading this wrong and it's just syncing the tracer effect better? Someone crush my hopes and dreams before they lead to disappointment.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

In case anyone's wondering, the Charioteer is pretty good
http://wotreplays.com/site/2243613#winterberg-mmkay-charioteer

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the obsession with stats is the worst thing to happen to this game, and to this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Steelion posted:

Personally, I still enjoy playing this game. The parts of this game I don't enjoy (losing constantly, lovely teams, etc.) would still happen in any other PvP game, so I might as well stick with the game I have fun with and have made lots of progress in than start over somewhere else.

Seconding this.
The game is imo in a pretty good place balance-wise. The worst offenders (tier10 TDs, TDs in general, gold ammo, Hellcats, KV-1S, waffentragers, arty, autoloaders) have been nerfed.
And once you have played enough games, you typically have enough different tanks to play to vary what you play + premium tanks meaning credits is a non-issue. The consequence of a lost game is hardly noteworthy for me.
At least for me, the important thing in a game is to win and it matters less whether I do really well if my team loses.
If I wanted a particapotory badge, I would have stayed in school.

Bort Bortles posted:

You get killed by arty because you are extremely predictable and arty got lucky.
I have been playing my SU-14-2 and T92 recently for missions and you get very selective of your targets as a an arty player.
The ideal target is the player that goes back and forth in exactly the same pattern, which makes him predictable, because you can just wait for him to roll forward and then when he stops for firing, you are already preaimed and can just fire at him.
I try to XVM snipe when I can, but hitting a good player that is constantly moving is hardly easy.
When I get hit by arty, I know it is either that the other player got lucky or that I was doing something stupid. Having played a lot of arty also teaches you which areas that are arty safe.