Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm sure that will get me somewhere but I'll have to figure out my way around minimizing the esquire required parts. Shouldn't be too bad once I get in there with an iron.

I'm useless with all that stuff, I chicken out and send it somewhere :v:
I admire anyone who can do all the wiring side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've swapped 3 maybe 4 sets of pickups and replaced a few parts. It's honestly not too hard but I've encountered every frustrating little issue possible. It can be a pain for sure.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Stealthgerbil posted:

Yea my friend told me it was a great price. I looked the serial number up and everything matches.

here are the pics from the auction

Yeah, that's one of the 'good' 4-knob ones, the lovely ones have 3 and were some kinda GC special.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's the right colour as well :ACDC:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I did all the electronics from scratch on my main strat. It is really basic wiring though (even less so than most strats). It is a p90 neck and humbucker bridge with a telecaster 3 way switch and 1 volume and 1 tone. I had a feeling I would mess up something more complicated for my first time. It was a lot of fun and I think it was worth it as a first project. Tinkering with the electronics on one of your less expensive guitars seems like something everyone who is into guitars should at least try.

That being said, I may have wired them out of phase by mistake. Middle position seems to come with a noticeable volume drop. Maybe when I change strings next time.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Remulak posted:

Yeah, that's one of the 'good' 4-knob ones, the lovely ones have 3 and were some kinda GC special.

That's good to hear. I was reading that the '08 line is pretty decent but recently they have gone down in quality to save money. I don't mind buying used gear though, in fact almost all of my stuff was bought used.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

peter gabriel posted:

It's the right colour as well

They come in other colors?

I just checked (they do) and found a link to this weird video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zg4S3gMWMA

The more I watch it the more confused I get.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

fullroundaction posted:

The Polaris White SG Special is one of the all-time great guitar/color combinations :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have an SG somebody got me as a gift but I never play it. Its just too iconic to me as Angus Young's guitar, it doesn't feel like mine. (Or Tony Iommi, whatever) Its fun to play some AC/DC riffs on but that's about all that feels right to me.

And the neck dive drives me craaaazy. Can't do it. Decent guitar otherwise but just not my style so much. I should give it more of a chance and play on it more though...

fullroundaction posted:

This HAS to be a parody right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think the only SG I played was an old Korean epi. Sounded pretty decent.

I almost wish my friend hadn't taken to it so I could have it :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

I just checked (they do) and found a link to this weird video.

Watching that it seems like some dude has put pink nail polish on to fake it being her playing it :psyduck:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Watching that it seems like some dude has put pink nail polish on to fake it being her playing it :psyduck:

It definitely is dude hands from 2:32 on, video is hilarious

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

b-b-b-but the playing isn't even good...

It has to be a parody :ohdear:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for a Tele with no neck pickup or switch? Bridge -> Volume -> Tone - Input.

You can pretty much follow this diagram: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD1H11_00/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-1-Humbucker1-Volume1-Tone.html

Just ignore the humbucker specific part about taping off the extra wires and look at it as though there are only two wires coming out of the pickup.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

b-b-b-but the playing isn't even good...

It has to be a parody :ohdear:

better than the tone king

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That Polaris white SG is pretty great. I've always hated that body shape for some reason but I've actually found that SGs tend to be my favorite Gibson guitars when I'm actually playing them and not just staring at them.

Uncovered pickups on them though... now you're just triggering me.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

fullroundaction posted:

That Polaris white SG is pretty great. I've always hated that body shape for some reason but I've actually found that SGs tend to be my favorite Gibson guitars when I'm actually playing them and not just staring at them.

I hated the way they looked for years. In the last few months that has somehow switched to absolutely wanted one right now. Seeing Gary Clark Jr. play one for pretty much his entire set last night did not help. Nor did the fact that he plays the type of music I play.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for a Tele with no neck pickup or switch? Bridge -> Volume -> Tone - Input.

Just find a Precision Bass wiring diagram and copy that, its gonna be pretty simple.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fullroundaction posted:

Mine's flat black, no inlays, EMGs, set up in baritone tuning, and is my favorite guitar of all time. :shopkeeper:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I got a set of GFS lipstick pickups installed in my Malden Utopia yesterday. I'm super happy with how they are sounding, the neck is mellow and clean and the bridge is both jangly and spanky. I need to remind myself to take pictures of it when I get home.

My one complaint now that I'm playing my Malden again is compared to my Ibanez Artcore the neck doesn't feel nearly as good. It's like the malden's neck has some sort of finish that keeps my hands from sliding across it near as smooth as the Artcore. I may have to get a sanding kit and try to take off the top layer of the neck finish so my hand doesn't stick to it as much.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

I got a set of GFS lipstick pickups installed in my Malden Utopia yesterday. I'm super happy with how they are sounding, the neck is mellow and clean and the bridge is both jangly and spanky. I need to remind myself to take pictures of it when I get home.

My one complaint now that I'm playing my Malden again is compared to my Ibanez Artcore the neck doesn't feel nearly as good. It's like the malden's neck has some sort of finish that keeps my hands from sliding across it near as smooth as the Artcore. I may have to get a sanding kit and try to take off the top layer of the neck finish so my hand doesn't stick to it as much.

Sanding kit? You mean 1000grit sandpaper and five minutes.

The previous owner stripped the back of this neck like poo poo, so I removed some material to change the shape and then tung oiled it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sockington posted:

Sanding kit? You mean 1000grit sandpaper and five minutes.

The previous owner stripped the back of this neck like poo poo, so I removed some material to change the shape and then tung oiled it.

That's fair, I'll run by the hardware store after work to look at this.

Is there a specific type of tung oil I should be looking at or will the Home Depot Minwax tung oil finish work for it?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

That's fair, I'll run by the hardware store after work to look at this.

Is there a specific type of tung oil I should be looking at or will the Home Depot Minwax tung oil finish work for it?

There's basically two kinds: pure tung oil and "tung oil finish" which is made with tung oil but dries much faster. The Minwax is the latter, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So for some stupid reason I have it my head to build a guitar. I was thinking of starting with a Guitar Fetish tele kit to sort of get my feet wet, since it's dirt cheap. I understand I'm buying the lowest end of the lowest end, and if I manage to get a vaguely playable instrument out of it, that will be a bonus. Is this a bad idea? Is there a better way to learn the ropes that is cheap? Cheap is important because I suspect I may get all :effort: and never finish, so I don't want to blow a bunch of cash on the first one. Also, I'm terrified of soldering for some reason. Will someone hold me and tell me it's not that bad?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Not a bad idea at all. All the hardest stuff to get right will already be done: locating the nut and fretting the neck, making the neck pocket, and locating the bridge properly. Pretty much everything else is finishing it and screwing/soldering it together. Only touchy bit will be adjusting things once it's together. You may have to shim the neck, and you'll need to know how to do a full setup including truss rod/neck relief, string height, and intonation.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Soldering is really easy there's a bunch of videos with dudes explaining and nice camera shots of what to do.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
PSA: You can tweak your wah pedals mechanics

I've gone from absolutely despising my Dunlop Classic Wah pedal, to loving it with about 10 minutes of work with a screwdriver and a wrench. This might be common knowledge to some of you, but if your wah hasn't been right, be sure to give this a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycgw0OaluZI

You can adjust the effective maximum wah tone (which was way too high for my taste) down to a nice mellow growl. My button was also way too sensitive, so I couldn't really enjoy the upper limit of the pedal because I'd always end up clicking it off. The switch itself is held with two nuts, allowing you to re-position it further up or down to adjust the amount of pressure required to click it on. I like it fairly stiff for live playing, but you could just as easily soften it up.

Honestly though, cutting off that shrill hi end was the best thing to ever happen to my board.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Ghost Town by The Specials is a cool spooky song that gets me playing a lot of chords I normally wouldn't. Figured I'd share because :spooky:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I would like to start playing classical guitar. Is there a classical guitar I can purchase for 1500-2000 dollars that I will not regret purchasing and is easy to find. Thankyou

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

a slime posted:

I would like to start playing classical guitar. Is there a classical guitar I can purchase for 1500-2000 dollars that I will not regret purchasing and is easy to find. Thankyou

Send Guitar Salon International an email and ask them that question. They're amazing people and will bend over backwards over a volcano full of demons to make you happy.

For the record I bought a Loriente Clarita from them and got an excellent price, a few free things, and flawless service. I don't have a ton of classical experience and this is my first guitar of the type but I'm completely in love with the Clarita. I did a lot of research and it beat out every guitar I came across.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a slime posted:

drat dude that's a lot of money to drop on a starter guitar (I know you've likely been playing for a while but still)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I was gonna say buy a cheap one first and make sure its for you, but I guess if you play a lot of acoustic and know what you want / are filthy rich then do what you want.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
The guitars in the Guitar Salon International web store are beautiful, and I'm sure they sound amazing. Even on my $120.00 fender fc-100 they put some working into making it look pretty, so its fair to think the same is the case for a $1,000 or $10,000 guitar. Its a piece of art that you can pull off the wall and play with :)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Had the flats on for a few days now and they are everything I hoped they'd be. They're sound great and have a pretty "soft" feeling. My major complaint with Chromes was that they felt so stiff, and while these don't feel like slinky roundwounds they are a lot better on the hands. And they sound great too, though it's obviously a different sort of tone than you get with rounds. If you're looking for a lot of high-end sizzle you certainly shouldn't try these.

Despite being similar gauges to the rounds that were on before I did have to make some pretty big intonation adjustments but now they're all dialed in. My only reservation on these is the price, but as long as they last for ages they should work out to be pretty much the same as what I spent on cheap rounds.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Thanks for the pointers, I'll reach out to Guitar Salon.

Spanish Manlove posted:

drat dude that's a lot of money to drop on a starter guitar (I know you've likely been playing for a while but still)

I've played lovely electrics on and off since I was a kid but I haven't taken it seriously in a long time. I recently moved and had to get rid of all my equipment, so starting over I'd like to do something more formal.

I guess reading around it sounded like there was much bigger difference between spending 500 vs 1500 dollars on a nylon string acoustic versus an electric. If that's insane and you think I would be happy playing a 500 dollar classical guitar for several years that is something I would like to hear.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TopherCStone posted:

Had the flats on for a few days now and they are everything I hoped they'd be. They're sound great and have a pretty "soft" feeling. My major complaint with Chromes was that they felt so stiff

Just played my Jazzmaster with the band last night for two hours. It had the 12-52 Chromes tuned E standard, so they are hella stiff. When I switched to my Tele for the Eb tuned stuff on 10-46s I immediately realized how stiff they are. :catstare:

The bass side of the bridge kept wiggling down for height adjustment, so did a band-night repair with a 3.6mm spacer :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

a slime posted:

I've played lovely electrics on and off since I was a kid but I haven't taken it seriously in a long time. I recently moved and had to get rid of all my equipment, so starting over I'd like to do something more formal.

I guess reading around it sounded like there was much bigger difference between spending 500 vs 1500 dollars on a nylon string acoustic versus an electric. If that's insane and you think I would be happy playing a 500 dollar classical guitar for several years that is something I would like to hear.

Go pick up a few in a showroom and try them out. Your biggest difference between nylon and steel string is going to be your fretboard spacing (classicals have a wider neck) but getting folk strings for a normal acoustic also gets you a pretty similar sound if you're better with less room on the fretboard.

I'd wager the super expensive ones would matter in a concert setting but I have a $14 classical that I got at a thrift store and had to gorilla glue the headstock back in place and it sounds basically the same to my ears as a $3500 Martin. Hell, the only upgrade I've considered seriously to it is a $300 Yamaha, and that's just because the Yamaha's a thin body classical and really comfy to play.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

a slime posted:

In my opinion you're completely right when it comes to the 500 vs 1500 thing. I didn't find anything I honestly felt was a good investment for a life long instrument in the lower bracket so I went big. The reality is that a good classical is going to be very lightly carefully built and I don't mind dropping a lot of money on a very playable, well crafted piece of art I can pass on when I'm dead. You absolutely could find a cheap $150 classical to play and love it to death but personally I'm past the idea of buy X cheapie and eventually upgrade and move on. Start with a serious well made instrument and grow into it as a player and you'll appreciate it for years while being excited every time you pick it up. I'm a big fan of cheap awesome electrics like the CV Teles but I just don't see any of that going on with acoustic instruments with a few exceptions. With classical guitars even less.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

In my opinion you're completely right when it comes to the 500 vs 1500 thing. I didn't find anything I honestly felt was a good investment for a life long instrument in the lower bracket so I went big. The reality is that a good classical is going to be very lightly carefully built and I don't mind dropping a lot of money on a very playable, well crafted piece of art I can pass on when I'm dead. You absolutely could find a cheap $150 classical to play and love it to death but personally I'm past the idea of buy X cheapie and eventually upgrade and move on. Start with a serious well made instrument and grow into it as a player and you'll appreciate it for years while being excited every time you pick it up. I'm a big fan of cheap awesome electrics like the CV Teles but I just don't see any of that going on with acoustic instruments with a few exceptions. With classical guitars even less.

Yep, my head is in the same place. What did you end up with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just think dropping $1500 on a whim for a hobby is kinda vulgar if you're not already really really into it and are super passionate and enthusiastic about it. But go ahead dude.