Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Am I crazy or is the bolt staff the best staff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Chomp8645 posted:

The rogre is a mysterious and temperamental beast. In general "I am hitting him while his current target is not" tends to make him switch focus but sometimes he'll just get a rage boner for one person no matter what they do.

He generally goes after whoever did the most damage to him. If you just hosed him with a Strength Potion he's gonna be mad.

Knifegrab posted:

You are crazy. Beam Shotgun best Staff.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

I dunno, beam staff has the sweet shotgun blast that doesn't hurt allies. :shrug:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

The rogre is a mysterious and temperamental beast. In general "I am hitting him while his current target is not" tends to make him switch focus but sometimes he'll just get a rage boner for one person no matter what they do.

One thing that I find kinda bullshit about the Rogre is when he's pounding on some dude right in front of him, he winds up another swing, and then instantly turns around and smacks the people behind him with no warning. Doesn't happen all that often, but when it does it's a load of crap.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I love the conflagration staff too much so I haven't tried the others very much. But then again I'm just moving into hard mode so that might change when the AOE stops being effective enough. Is the bolt staff effective against stormvermin/armor?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I love the conflagration staff too much so I haven't tried the other very much. But then again I'm just moving into hard mode so that might change when the AOE stops being effective enough. Is the bolt staff effective against stormvermin/armor?

If you shoot them in the face. It does well on rats that line up also, since it penetrates

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

All staffs are fun. It's super easy to get headshots on normal/hard by just rightclicking then leftclicking immediately with the zeus staff.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr. Wookums posted:

All staffs are fun. It's super easy to get headshots on normal/hard by just rightclicking then leftclicking immediately with the zeus staff.

The bolt staff alternate fire is really good but chews up heat like crazy. I find the primary fire on it to be absolute hot garbage. It's inaccurate and it takes far to many hits to kill clan/slave rats to be useful against hordes.

I tend to lean beam staff because it's just as good a sniper tool while also being a better horde mulcher.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The basic is actually really good because if you have a swarm of rats coming from a single direction you can just go full dragonball on it and most of it will be dead by the time it gets there.

Then again I've got a staff that splits into multiple projectiles with a fairly high chance to do so, so I may be biased!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't personally know what pisses him off, but I know he sure tends to lose interest in me quickly after I block one of his attacks. He won't always switch targets, but probably nine times of ten he seems to just get discouraged and go after someone else.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

As long as you have a high enough quality staff to one-shot clanrats, the fireball/conflag staves have by far the best primary attack. Infinitely piercing, accurate, low heat, instant kill, and an enormous hitbox? gently caress yeah.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Wheat and Chaff, what the flying gently caress is going on.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have finally gotten a blue melee weapon for the Hunter!

It's a hatchet. Thankfully, I've just finished learning to like the hatchet, but rapiers still elude me. A crossbow with Mastercrafted is loving awesome, though, and now it's a real decision if I take my kickass sniping pistols or my crossbow.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Once you get a legendary item is there any way to get rid of it? I swear if I have 4 things I want upgraded and 1 filler it will be the filler thing every single time. I literally can't stop upgrading bolt staffs and the upgrade options are terrible.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Gordon posted:

They're separating the wheat from the chaff :unsmigghh:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Skandranon posted:

I have seen this exact thing happen, where the elf was standing on a tree trunk that I as the dwarf I could not see, as I was seeing a castle full of gold.

Yeah this confused the hell out of me last night. I couldn't figure out how you guys were getting inside of the tree trunk. Wizard's Tower, continuing to gently caress with the player even after 20+ runs.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Anytime I hear the elf make some lovely remark all I can picture is the Cheese from Rocko's Modern Life

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
The bolt staff main attack is also really good against the rat ogre. Pop a strength potion and go full DBZ, then go in with sword. The main attack can also cause burn, which does more damage to the rat ogre, and is good for keeping specials stunned, like the gutter runner so he can't do his batman trick.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The bolt staff probably needs a flame sword or arming sword. I feel like the mace is a bad match for it because there's really no AoE for that particular combo when you get swarmed. Does this sound about right?

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Dezztroy posted:

They're separating the wheat from the chaff :unsmigghh:

Is that why they are so many Stormvermin there and the map is effectively unbeatable on anything other than normal?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Once you get a legendary item is there any way to get rid of it? I swear if I have 4 things I want upgraded and 1 filler it will be the filler thing every single time. I literally can't stop upgrading bolt staffs and the upgrade options are terrible.

Nope.

Never use a blue item in a fusion unless you actually want that item. I tend to separate my blues into categories of:
I Really Want This (handguns, axe + shields, sword + daggers, 2H hammers, non-bolt staves, fire swords, longbows, etc)
I Sort Of Want This (repeater handguns, shotguns, other shield weapons, Witch Hunter poo poo, trueshot bows, dual swords, 2H swords, etc)
Garbage For Garbage People, Only Fit For Salvaging (1H weapons, repeater pistols, bolt staves, swift/hagbows, etc)

And then I never mix between categories, ever. It's been a pretty good way to go about fusing without being too disappointed in the results.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Greenman Gaming is having a sale where you can get Vermintide for like 22 bucks wth this code: FACEYO-URFEAR-S22PER

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

As someone who has almost all of his playtime in Bright Wizard:

1) Conflagration is the best staff. The normal shot oneshots clanrats up through Nightmare, is accurate enough for sniping, and stunlocks specials. I'm not sure the right click has a target cap either. I've hit assist +10 with it, and it knocks down everything it hits. As an added bonus, the right click doesn't do friendly fire damage. Cover your close-up weakness with one of the swords.

2) Beam is second. The shotgun is nice to cover yourself up close and is safe to spam on Nightmare +, but it only hits up to 4 targets, doesn't do enough damage to consistently kill even clanrats (sometimes they have to wait on the fire DoT to die even on Hard), doesn't do dick to specials, and uses a TON of heat. For that same heat, the conflagration staff can kill 5-6 rats from farther away. The beam is a nice special killer, but it's channeled so good luck using it when poo poo's Happening.

3) Fireball staff is a worse conflagration staff. Similar primary, but the right click is harder to aim and doesn't hit as many rats.

4) Bolt staff is dumpster tier. It's decent at killing specials, but you still have to charge it, during which time you could have stunlocked them to death with any other staff, without being saddled with a garbage primary attack that amounts to little more than a tickle fight on any difficulty higher than Easy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One interesting thing about Saltzpyre is he benefits a lot from aiming his melee attacks a bit. The hatchet takes off rat heads nicely, the rapier has headshot bonuses on fast and heavy attacks, etc. I think it's part of why I like him so much.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Krinkle posted:

The bolt staff probably needs a flame sword or arming sword. I feel like the mace is a bad match for it because there's really no AoE for that particular combo when you get swarmed. Does this sound about right?

I just got an orange bolt staff, so I've been running BW - I'm still using the white sword you start with and its been serviceable by charge attacking with it

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Gordon posted:

Is that why they are so many Stormvermin there and the map is effectively unbeatable on anything other than normal?

Its difficulty is overtuned (according to devs) but it's far from unbeatable on Hard, even with pubbies. Just need to make sure you've got enough people with weapons suited for stormvermin. Having a greathammer or two is a huge help. Also make sure to always keep moving, only stop to heal because the rats never stop coming.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Night10194 posted:

One interesting thing about Saltzpyre is he benefits a lot from aiming his melee attacks a bit. The hatchet takes off rat heads nicely, the rapier has headshot bonuses on fast and heavy attacks, etc. I think it's part of why I like him so much.

I use the flamberge on him so I'm always aiming high but looking down as I swing hoping for headshots. I don't know what I'm doing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Krinkle posted:

I use the flamberge on him so I'm always aiming high but looking down as I swing hoping for headshots. I don't know what I'm doing.

His zweihander's a good weapon but I always kinda feel like if I wanted to get my dopplesoldat on I'd just play Kruber, so I prefer the hatchet and rapier.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

His zweihander's a good weapon but I always kinda feel like if I wanted to get my dopplesoldat on I'd just play Kruber, so I prefer the hatchet and rapier.

Rapier is super legit which is weird because I completely wrote it off initially when I still played normal because it didn't 1 shot clan rats there. When you get to hard/nightmare and very few melee quick attacks kill in one shot anymore and stunlocking enemies becomes the name of the game you really begin to appreciate just how much faster the weapon is and how well it locks poo poo down.

The hatchet I'm still not super sold on because it's bad at hordes and the rapier can still kill storm vermin pretty quick with charged headshots. I kind of wish the hatchet was paired with a pistol if only to differentiate it from the dwarf axe a little better.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Dezztroy posted:

Its difficulty is overtuned (according to devs) but it's far from unbeatable on Hard, even with pubbies. Just need to make sure you've got enough people with weapons suited for stormvermin. Having a greathammer or two is a huge help. Also make sure to always keep moving, only stop to heal because the rats never stop coming.

Maybe I am just bad at videogames, but I had literally 20 attempts to beat it on hard with blue/green weapons and AP weapon combos, and no luck so far :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I still wish there was some kind of indicator for if you hit a headshot or not, I love the rapier but sometimes you think you nailed them in the forehead and they step back patting their chests

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain Gordon posted:

Maybe I am just bad at videogames, but I had literally 20 attempts to beat it on hard with blue/green weapons and AP weapon combos, and no luck so far :(

When I beat it we stayed along the outside wall and avoided going into that middle swamp at all costs. It was too easy down there to get swarmed and have a pack master drag your friends away one by one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kinda wish he got a hatchet-dagger combo, but that's just because that's a really sweet fighting style.

The hatchet is hard to use against hordes but it does work, and it's absolutely murder against the Rogre. This might be partly a matter of having a blue hatchet and no rapiers besides my starting weapon. It's also even easier against Stormvermin, though yes, the rapier kills the gently caress out of them too and fencing this giant plate-clad halberd rat is always cool.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Night10194 posted:

I kinda wish he got a hatchet-dagger combo, but that's just because that's a really sweet fighting style.

The hatchet is hard to use against hordes but it does work, and it's absolutely murder against the Rogre. This might be partly a matter of having a blue hatchet and no rapiers besides my starting weapon. It's also even easier against Stormvermin, though yes, the rapier kills the gently caress out of them too and fencing this giant plate-clad halberd rat is always cool.

We can't do hatchet-dagger, but I can offer you a lovely sword-dagger combo...

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They should pair the WH axe with a sawed off shotgun :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We can't do hatchet-dagger, but I can offer you a lovely sword-dagger combo...

Coincidentally, also a weapon set I love!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dezztroy posted:

Also, you can push while carrying, and you move faster by dodging sideways. Throw bags if you're alone and need to move two or more. Dodge and push if you have just one.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Captain Gordon posted:

How to beat W&C:

Step 1) Bring Vargs with you

Step 2) Toss all bags in the back, and leave.

In seriousness, you need someone who is dead 'ard at shooting stormvermin in the face with a OHKO handgun or crossbow. You will get a rat ogre within the first two bags you touch. We went left to the farm yard first. Pick up a grain bag, and then immediately throw the fucker towards the cart, rinse and repeat. If your group cannot kill stormvermin as they come, you will be swamped by up to five per wave. Next we went to the middle path, aka the river/swamp and tossed the bags from there up to the other two bags in the building if you choose to go right and just relayed the bags to the cart.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Handguns are the mandatory choice for soldier and also pretty much for dwarf. They basically neutralize special rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

So a handgun with a chance for increased attack speed basically one without a special ability, right?

• Locked thread