Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

that sounds like the sort of thing i'd find the extra $20 for

with apologies if i'm hogging the thread:

Sirotan- i work at Ardent Craft Ales doing glamorous poo poo in the brewery and helping run the taproom since June of last year. i still have all my other jobs, too, although they are slowly being phased out.

air-- we did talk about it and, yeah, that's pretty much what you said before. great to hear it again, of course!

FL- when my boss asked what all the beer nerds were going crazy for a few months back that was one of my answers. the others were a sour program, which we'd already started, and getting a lot more stuff in interesting barrels. while we were having this conversation in his office, he pulled up a barrel-broker's website and purchased, among other things, two big Heaven Hills barrels and two tokaj- a really sweet Hungarian wine- barrels, which smelled amazing when we were filling them. we've got the Dark Rye aging in port, Madeira, Nicaraguan rum, and Buffalo Trace barrels, so i'm looking forward to trying them all together. we'll likely do something with coffee, as well, and i'm trying to convince them to have a go at coconut.

danbanana- last year we only used barrels from Reservoir, a small, local distillery, but this year we also have it in the two big HH barrels and then two more from the distillery i can't remember. the Reservoir barrels are small enough that each translates to a sixtel, so each keg is single-barrel and really different from the next.

Hatful- hey, you brought it up, man

Whoa I definitely want to try any Tokaj aged stuff you do. It's the only dessert wine I actually like, I've had a lot of it, but never anything aged in Tokaj barrels. I can trade whatever colorado stuff or if there's something else you're looking for let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Anderson Valley Briney Melon Gose is pretty good. I was skeptical at first, Paradox watermelon sour was like drinking pickle juice and not too pleasant, but this dials back the acidity and salt and ends up being pretty refreshing and easy to drink. There is a little tetrahydropyridine (THP, "cheerios" or "captain crunch" in small amounts, "urine" or "mousey" in large amounts) in the finish which is an off-flavor that drives me nuts in sours, but it was really subtle and not too distracting from the main flavors. Maybe if it sat for a bit at room temp the THP would go away. Regardless still pretty solid, if you're a fan of their gose then I'd def recommend getting it if you can

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Furious Lobster posted:

They make beers in VA :v: ? I kid but I'm sure the hype train will take off as soon as you guys make a BA adjunct :sigh:

Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Gingerbread Stout's been around for years, man.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

air- posted:

The rye barrel aged honey ginger nailed a good harmony between three flavor profiles. You know I usually steer away from spiced beers (not to be confused with usage of pepper in stouts), so I really liked how the ginger spice flavor was more refreshing rather than in your face. I've probably told you all of this before though... hmm, thinking back, the beer reminded me of eating a gingerbread cookie while having bourbon.
On the hand, I didn't quite like the non BA honey ginger one you sent me :(

That citra mosaic IPA was on point though, I would definitely drink more of that.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

poop dood posted:

Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Gingerbread Stout's been around for years, man.

I was being facetious with regards to beer trading since that's what Funkybottoms had asked; I'm a fan of Hardywood's GBS but for the most part, VA is hardly better than an ephemeral blink on the trade horizon.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hauki posted:

Whoa I definitely want to try any Tokaj aged stuff you do. It's the only dessert wine I actually like, I've had a lot of it, but never anything aged in Tokaj barrels. I can trade whatever colorado stuff or if there's something else you're looking for let me know.

we'll see when it's ready!

dphi posted:

On the hand, I didn't quite like the non BA honey ginger one you sent me :(

That citra mosaic IPA was on point though, I would definitely drink more of that.

last year's was better! no, seriously, we couldn't get enough honey from the same apiary as last year, so we had to get it from different places and there was some... batch inequality? we actually dumped one because it tasted so loving weird. of course, if you liked one batch you would have been at least okay with the others, so, yeah, just not your thing. considering where you are, it's more flattering that you liked the IPA, anyway.

Furious Lobster posted:

hardly better than an ephemeral blink on the trade horizon.

ouch. new thread title?

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

born yesterday? .... more like born today son! :flipoff::boom::flipoff:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Furious Lobster posted:

I was being facetious with regards to beer trading since that's what Funkybottoms had asked; I'm a fan of Hardywood's GBS but for the most part, VA is hardly better than an ephemeral blink on the trade horizon.

I gotta disagree, man. I just got an Abricot du Fermier plus a 4 Hands Cash Mony DIPA for Lickinghole Creek's last limited release 3-bottle set. I trade Hardywood and Lickinghole all the time for good stuff. Just gotta know the right people.

Also I'm having my first Allagash Farm to Face right now and holy cow it's fantastic. This and Coolship Resurgam are the best beers I've had of theirs by far. It's like their 375mL releases are from a different brewery entirely.

Apache
May 11, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

dudes, my boss is curious about our beers' reception with the trading crowd, so if i've sent you something, please give me some feedback, okay? PMs are fine if you don't want to publicly slag my brewery (but you're welcome to do that, too). thanks!

I can only speak from what we had in May at the brewery, but the beers were good, I really liked the honey ginger saison and will probably take that bottle to a the share in November. I haven't tried the rye imperial stout yet. I guess the things that traders get excited over are the breweries with existing reputations, like no one cares if Crooked Can is releasing their barrel aged RIS, but since Cycle is already known for it, traders go nuts for it and the neckbeards line up hours in advance on a Tuesday. Likewise people may go crazy for a Hardywood barrel aged release, but not for one from Ardent since you guys aren't as well known, though in my opinion the beers we had at Ardent were better than the ones at Hardywood when we visited both taprooms in May.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Get some Armagnac barrels and be ahead of the curve.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do you guys know what brand of barrels are used in Jester King's Sin Frontera?

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Juaguocio posted:

Looks like a lot of people agree with my Dageraad recommendation, because their Blonde just won 1st place in the Belgian Abbey category at the BC Beer Awards. I'm very excited to try the wet-hopped version that I found today, along with the Randonneur saison.

The De Witte sour was really nice- crisp and effervescent, with a strong passionfruit flavor.

Four Winds' Juxtapose took home the gold in its category as well, and I was fortunate enough to find one bottle the other day, along with their Wildflower saison.

Dageraad is indeed awesome, and Juxtapose is maybe my favourite beer from BC. My only issue is that the cask of Juxtapose they sent to Cask Days was far more bitter than any of the bottles I've had have been. I wonder if they changed up the recipe for the cask?

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Lots of news coming out of 10 Barrel(expansion, AB brewing Pray For Snow, Denver pub, etc.), but I'm most excited for the bottling and expansion of the Crush series. http://brewpublic.com/beer-news/10-barrel-brewing-co-one-year-after-its-sale-to-a-b-inbev/

quote:

But probably the news that will be a delight to many craft beer fans is that the brewery’s coveted Crush series under the direction of Cornett, will be packaged in 4-pack 11 oz clear “Stubby” bottles beginning with Cucumber Crush in April 2016. This will eventually lead into additional varieties including Apricot, Lemon and Strawberry. For fans of the Crush series from outside the state of Oregon you may be out of luck as the initial launch will only be within the Beaver State.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Oooh, that is cool. Cucumber Crush is the best cucumber beer I've had and the perfect summer beer. Would be good for beer cocktails too. Apricot Crush is also tasty. Interesting about the clear bottles...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I just missed the press junket discussed in the article due to my trip, but I'm sad I did 'cuz it sure sounds like it was a big victory lap following the purchase.

And just living in Bend, I can pretty well confirm that nobody at 10b left that I've heard of because of management disputes, from the head brewers up top to the bar backs at the bottom. Which is a lot better than the record of other Inbev purchases. I think it's largely because -- so far -- Inbev kept all its promises, offering investment without meddling in the business plan. Like the article says I do feel they're still primarily in the "pub" business and in fact I think the best beer they put out right now is being made in the Portland brewpub.

Current Crush beers look nothing like those concept colors though, they'd have to add some funky shite to actually get those colors. Cucumber doesn't stay green like that after all.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I finally tried Apocalypse and it was good. I hope their Denver thing is good

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

I just bought a six pack of Joe IPA that's really fresh and tastes great. reminds me of Alpine Duet + mosaic. I think 10B just recently started to distribute here

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Free-ish beer if anyone wants it.

Looks like born yesterday may not be as scarce as I remember last year since the local total wine had 24 cases.

Either way I grabbed an extra six pack

If anyone wants it, first person to post that's willing to send me a prepaid shipping label I'll box it up and send it out.

Probably better for someone who doesn't get lagunitas (does a place like that exist) as it sounds like this is going to see pretty wide regular distribution and it's only a $10 six pack.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Everyone remember in Requiem for a Dream when Jared Leto's character shoots heroin and his pupils dilate, veins constrict etc? That was how it felt after the first sip of my first AV Blood Orange Gose for the Fall.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You should see a doctor.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

spoiler alert!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

zonacat posted:

Free-ish beer if anyone wants it.

Looks like born yesterday may not be as scarce as I remember last year since the local total wine had 24 cases.

Either way I grabbed an extra six pack

If anyone wants it, first person to post that's willing to send me a prepaid shipping label I'll box it up and send it out.

Probably better for someone who doesn't get lagunitas (does a place like that exist) as it sounds like this is going to see pretty wide regular distribution and it's only a $10 six pack.

Sure, I'll bite. We don't get that one in VA. PM incoming.

edit: just wandered down to The Cask Café two blocks from my apartment to try out the first keg of CCB Cubano Style Espresso I've seen on tap in Richmond. It's really nice, creamy and bitter without the attendant giant chewy body of a stout. More coffee brown ales!

prayer group fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 28, 2015

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

poop dood posted:

edit: just wandered down to The Cask Café two blocks from my apartment to try out the first keg of CCB Cubano Style Espresso I've seen on tap in Richmond. It's really nice, creamy and bitter without the attendant giant chewy body of a stout. More coffee brown ales!

the Cask is my spirit animal.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cracked open an Ardent Dark Rye aged in what I think funkybottoms said was rum barrels and it is fuckin GOOD. Aroma is vinous and chocolate. Taste is raisin, chocolate, and molasses with a mild background hop bitterness. The typical rye bite is definitely subdued and comes out as more of a biscuit flavor. I enjoy the rum--it's definitely a contributor to the raisin impression--but there isn't a strong presence of the barrel wood, which isn't a flaw. Overall palate impression is semi-sweet with a nice balance between viscous richness and pleasant astringency.

The beer is a hair hot and if I had another bottle (wink wink) I would follow funkybottoms' recommendation and sit on it for 3-6 months, however I'll qualify that as-is the beer is still wonderful. It's a nice, complex composition of flavors but it is perfectly accessible to the senses and easy to enjoy. Packaging is dope as well, it certainly stands out. Thank you very much, this is a really excellent ale and I should hope it would be a big hit with the trading crowd.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Eejit posted:

Cracked open an Ardent Dark Rye aged in what I think funkybottoms said was rum barrels and it is fuckin GOOD. Aroma is vinous and chocolate. Taste is raisin, chocolate, and molasses with a mild background hop bitterness. The typical rye bite is definitely subdued and comes out as more of a biscuit flavor. I enjoy the rum--it's definitely a contributor to the raisin impression--but there isn't a strong presence of the barrel wood, which isn't a flaw. Overall palate impression is semi-sweet with a nice balance between viscous richness and pleasant astringency.

The beer is a hair hot and if I had another bottle (wink wink) I would follow funkybottoms' recommendation and sit on it for 3-6 months, however I'll qualify that as-is the beer is still wonderful. It's a nice, complex composition of flavors but it is perfectly accessible to the senses and easy to enjoy. Packaging is dope as well, it certainly stands out. Thank you very much, this is a really excellent ale and I should hope it would be a big hit with the trading crowd.

and i didn't even pay him!

no rum barrels this time, though- it's a blend of corn, wheat, and rye whiskey barrels from Reservoir, a local distillery. rye makes up 30% of the grain bill, so i'm guessing that's where the impression is coming from, because there are some strong fruit notes in the base beer. either way, i'm glad you enjoyed it (and the packaging, which was in large part my labor)!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

funkybottoms posted:

and i didn't even pay him!

no rum barrels this time, though- it's a blend of corn, wheat, and rye whiskey barrels from Reservoir, a local distillery. rye makes up 30% of the grain bill, so i'm guessing that's where the impression is coming from, because there are some strong fruit notes in the base beer. either way, i'm glad you enjoyed it (and the packaging, which was in large part my labor)!

Ah that makes sense then, either way thanks again

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm really excited for this one:

They made a rum barrel stout, then gave the barrels back to the distillery who made a rum that won some award, then got the same barrels back and made this one. So that's why I'm excited. They're also having a "special berliner" bottle or something which should be fun, that berliner fest last weekend was pretty cool too.

OMG
Jul 14, 2007
Question; are there any online beer stores that ship 3 Floyds internationally?

A friend sees me checking in their stuff on untappd regularly, but I'm kind of uncomfortable with shipping alcohol via mail in general, plus that it seems like too much work I don't want to deal with. I have no problem picking up some beers and taking them with me next time I'm going to Europe, but when it comes to sending beer, I'd rather have that stuff go through something "official", rather than me doing something that's not legal (and yes, I always assume the worst). However, that may take another year or 2.

To partially answer my own question, I noticed Binny's ships internationally, but no regular 3Fs beers are listed. Unless they take requests, then I'm sending their website's link immediately.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

OMG posted:

Question; are there any online beer stores that ship 3 Floyds internationally?

It's hard to find any online stores that ship FFF. West Lakeview explicitly says they don't. The Beer Temple (http://store2.craftbeertemple.com/) doesn't say, so it might be worth asking.

OMG
Jul 14, 2007

ExtremistCow posted:

It's hard to find any online stores that ship FFF. West Lakeview explicitly says they don't. The Beer Temple (http://store2.craftbeertemple.com/) doesn't say, so it might be worth asking.

Thanks!

I found West Lakeview earlier, and noticed they have a nice selection, but unfortunately don't ship outside the US. I'll forward any useful links.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Lincoln, NE is getting a HopCat. Am I right in assuming it's basically a northern Midwest version of Flying Saucer?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Bit of late notice I know but work's bringing me to PDX this weekend so if anyone is up for some spooooooky drinking drop a line.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

Lincoln, NE is getting a HopCat. Am I right in assuming it's basically a northern Midwest version of Flying Saucer?

Yes, down to the food too.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I know I'm a posting fiend this morning but Boneyard has finally gotten around to buying a crowler machine so it's cans of Hop Venom for all today :woop:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I know I'm a posting fiend this morning but Boneyard has finally gotten around to buying a crowler machine so it's cans of Hop Venom for all today :woop:

ISO Notorious crowlers

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SUPER HASSLER posted:

:peanut:

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

HatfulOfHollow posted:

ISO Notorious crowlers

A friend shipped me one of these a couple months ago and while it was good, 32oz split between two people was a bit rough.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Compusaurus posted:

A friend shipped me one of these a couple months ago and while it was good, 32oz split between two people was a bit rough.

Haha, I could imagine. I remember sending a 64oz growler of Notorious to Furious Lobster back when places would actually let you get a growler of it, hopefully he had some friends to share it with. Hop Venom is a lot more drinkable (dangerously so, even.)

Apache
May 11, 2004

One more question for the UK guys, are there any bottle shops like Bierkoning in London or Edinburgh? I'm looking to try and bring back some more Cantillon if possible, though I'm not sure if it as easy to get in the UK as it was in Holland and Belgium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I just bought a bottle of Cantillon Vigneronne. It is my first bottle of Cantillon. I guess I am holding onto it for a special occasion.