Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

zen death robot posted:

I jumped off Sprint last year because their network is loving awful. If you manage to get an LTE signal it's still like 3Mbit/sec.

eh, suits my needs i guess you could say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

because it's not at all clear until the checkout process nor is it stated when you select your plan. they're all listed as $40 line access fees.

also edge doesn't exist and i'm on the "more everything loyal" plan whatever that means and still get the $15 price.
more everything loyal is your service plan (which i guess they no longer offer to new customers). edge is/was (they don't seem to call it that anymore) the device installment plan. but sorry you're incapable of doing basic research since it's right on their website, even for non customers:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

As a Millennial I posted:

i mean what i'm missing that's gonna screw me over. it's weird to me that at&t's pushing it so hard. but i'm bad at economics

it's not a screw you over thing iirc, it's that previously the carriers would have to subsidize the phones and make it up by charging you extra

now they can just get you to pay for the phone, and then they'll get a traded in phone in a year or two that they can sell for ~80% of the original price

so basically the only difference is that the carrier's balance sheets have slightly lower expenses, which looks better for them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ah, carrier chat? tmobile ftw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*kicks feet up on ikea desk* I like shasta. tmobile. hyundai. i play terran. problem? gently caress off.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

PleasureKevin posted:

welp apple is appealing the ebooks thing all the way up to the supreme court

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/29/apple-supreme-court-petition-ebook-antitrust-case/

Good, the twisting of the law in that case to protect an actual monopsonist was disgusting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://vine.co/v/erX66WYXx6p

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

it's not a screw you over thing iirc, it's that previously the carriers would have to subsidize the phones and make it up by charging you extra

now they can just get you to pay for the phone, and then they'll get a traded in phone in a year or two that they can sell for ~80% of the original price

so basically the only difference is that the carrier's balance sheets have slightly lower expenses, which looks better for them

it seems to me that they left plan prices as is, but added the phone lease as an additional charge. For Verizon, sure you can still get a $60 plan like before, but now you pay $30/month for the phone instead of 199 up front, oh and also you have to pay for 100% of the phone before you can upgrade

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

more everything loyal is your service plan (which i guess they no longer offer to new customers). edge is/was (they don't seem to call it that anymore) the device installment plan. but sorry you're incapable of doing basic research since it's right on their website, even for non customers:

you don't think that pricing structure is designed to be slightly confusing?

i'm not saying it's impossible to understand but it seems overly convoluted

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

you don't think that pricing structure is designed to be slightly confusing?

i'm not saying it's impossible to understand but it seems overly convoluted

slightly? sure. not "confusing as hell" as you put it before.

it looks like they've simplified it even more though: current plans are a flat $20 line charge then whatever for data

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Smythe posted:

tmobile ftw

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

lmao. this will show up as a $40 charge with $25 credit. don't ask why it can't show up as a $15 charge, it just cant.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ludwig van Halen posted:

it seems to me that they left plan prices as is, but added the phone lease as an additional charge. For Verizon, sure you can still get a $60 plan like before, but now you pay $30/month for the phone instead of 199 up front, oh and also you have to pay for 100% of the phone before you can upgrade

yeah but before verizon would pay the remaining $400 as a subsidy, and make it up with additional charges

now they just pass those costs onto you directly, so their balance sheet looks better

it's neutral to the customer, but a positive to them.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmao. this will show up as a $40 charge with $25 credit. don't ask why it can't show up as a $15 charge, it just cant.

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zen death robot posted:

smythe you know you can just give yourself an AV, right?

yea but i want to suport richards gtr fund

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also, well, i made the bad click and need to pay for it. pay for it with my wallet, like richard intended. dont want to abuse my buttons

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

yeah but before verizon would pay the remaining $400 as a subsidy, and make it up with additional charges

now they just pass those costs onto you directly, so their balance sheet looks better

it's neutral to the customer, but a positive to them.

its not neutral to me when my current plan, which i signed up for last year is 60 bucks for 2gb and 199 for the phone, but no additonal charges
now a similar plan for 3gb is $65, not bad right? WRONG! you add $30 for the phone, which you have to pay for 24 months which equals the full price of $650, a difference of a whopping 450 dollars over 2 years based on that alone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my iPad has Apple Pay but not my iphone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like how I can put my phone on DND and still get text messages on the ipad

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

slightly? sure. not "confusing as hell" as you put it before.

it looks like they've simplified it even more though: current plans are a flat $20 line charge then whatever for data

sorry for using hyperbole on the Internet

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

they also didn't give me the right credit the first month and i had to call to get the right one. theyre a v. good company

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Smythe posted:

also, well, i made the bad click and need to pay for it. pay for it with my wallet, like richard intended. dont want to abuse my buttons

not the mod yospos deserves

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ludwig van Halen posted:

its not neutral to me when my current plan, which i signed up for last year is 60 bucks for 2gb and 199 for the phone, but no additonal charges
now a similar plan for 3gb is $65, not bad right? WRONG! you add $30 for the phone, which you have to pay for 24 months which equals the full price of $650, a difference of a whopping 450 dollars over 2 years based on that alone

you're also getting an extra gigabyte a month

also verizon is objectively the worst carrier in the US

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

computer parts posted:

depends on the metric you're using. worst to customers? of the post-paid carriers, sure.

worst service? lol not even close

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

you're also getting an extra gigabyte a month

they don't have a 2gb plan anymore, but an extra gig sure as hell isn't worth 30 bux

e: i could go the other way and get 1gb for 30 + 20 line access, so i save $10 but then pay the same 30 for the phone, so 80 total, which is still more than i'm paying for the subsidized phone

Baxate fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 30, 2015

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i just love the new apple where they don't advertise or even mention the new features the devices have and you gotta wait for the devs or some teardown to tell you what a thing can do it's great so many surprises like christmas everyday

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PleasureKevin posted:

i just love the new apple where they don't advertise or even mention the new features the devices have and you gotta wait for the devs or some teardown to tell you what a thing can do it's great so many surprises like christmas everyday

this is because tim doesn't care about leaks and all of the specs of a new device are known even before it's announced officially

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

actually stymie, the inverse is true

no one knows till they get it home and start using it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zen death robot posted:

you love men's asses

lol

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

zen death robot posted:

you love men's asses

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

zen death robot posted:

you love men's asses

so what

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

f*ck

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Mulva posted:

Good, the twisting of the law in that case to protect an actual monopsonist was disgusting.

it doesn't make sense to me that a store can't say "if you sell it for cheaper over there, sell it for the same price here"

like someone wants to put a kiosk in your store and use your space, and you say yeah. then you hear the same person puts up a kiosk across the street except sells the product for 50% less.

your customers that bought it from you get mad. they say you're a price gouger. and everyone goes across the street to buy the thing. not only can you not hope to sell poo poo you harm your reputation with your customers.

so the next time a sales person comes around you set the terms. if he/she lowers the price across the street, lower it here too.

the idea that's price fixing is crazy imo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

apple did not get in the trouble with the DOJ because they had a MFN clause

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the only reason I'd go with att would be lte fallback to hspa+ or w/e but I could do that w/tmo too

tmo has bad service tho and I just don't really like att

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

tmo has bad service tho

if you're east of the mississippi this isn't true anymore

the only large areas west of the Mississippi w/o service is literally nebraska and the dakotas

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm east of the mississippi and found t-mobile service to be adequate at best, and awful quite often. switched back to at&t and it's much better. minus side my data usage went up without music freedoms

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i'm v tempted to go to sprint and split a family plan with my girlfriend and get iphones 6s for the both of us

$130/month for 10gb and that includes the lease for 2 phones, and they'll even pay off my verizon contract

lol if you pay more than $40/month for your cell phone plan

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

mishaq posted:

lol if you pay for your cell phone plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

They have 700Mhz channels now and the 6s supports them

At least in St Louis they're really good

yeah t-mobile 700 mhz completes making t-mobile the best carrier in the us, as rural/building penetration has been their biggest weakness

• Locked thread