Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Hollismason posted:

I found George W. Bush to be the most charismatic out of Republican Candidates since Reagan, but that was only because of his bumbling idiocy.

The bumbling idiocy was a total affect, adopted to make him more appealing and charismatic, hth

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Let me put it in terms you understand: all of the Republican candidates are currently holding national support on par with the joke fringe parties you have in your parliament, probably. The best performing one has like, under 11% national all-population support at best at the moment.

But one of them is going to get the nomination and start out with 45% of the electorate's votes in their back pocket.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Fried Chicken posted:

The bumbling idiocy was a total affect, adopted to make him more appealing and charismatic, hth

Well it worked I am totally convinced George W. Bush is a bumbling idiot.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

why'd he keep it up all eight years then

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Well it worked I am totally convinced George W. Bush is a bumbling idiot.

And it worked. He was president, re-elected, had people tortured, invaded Iraq on a pretext, and created mass surveillance. Now he gets to sit at home and paint, make a speech if he ever needs half a mil.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

uh oh spaghettios

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

evilweasel posted:

And why hasn't he stopped yet?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hahahaha, they just fuel the fire that is Donglord Trump. He just ricochets everything they throw at him and the base is just eating it up like a dog eating its own barf.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Joementum posted:

Also, his Vice President is literally a Lich, so anyone's going to look good standing next to that guy.

Keeping it up had a number of assets to keeping the appearance going, including that people overstate Cheney's roll and view him as the source of evil, rather than attributing it to the fact that Bush him self was a loving disease. In the broader picture, since 1980 the GOP has been aggressively adopting Leo Strauss' theories of a national mythos as a means to political power, and Bush's staged demeanor plays right into what they were already doing with Reagan.

Go look at the videos of his debates when he was running for governor of Texas. Guy is every bit the articulate educated person you would expect a Ivy League educated rich man from Connecticut to me, not the illiterate but congenial cowboy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Hahahaha, they just fuel the fire that is Donglord Trump. He just ricochets everything they throw at him and the base is just eating it up like a dog eating its own barf.

This is neither funny nor clever.

His name is Fuckface Von Clownstick

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

Donald Trump bears a marked resemblance to Malcolm the King of Love.

He makes about as much sense too. We must feed him gravel or he becomes angry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That guy who got pulled over and didn't have any incident. We don't know what happened leading up to his story, how do we know the "paperwork" he was turning is wasn't a bribe? "Those people" do call money paper sometimes after all. How do we know the post wasn't made under duress manufactured by a grand conspiracy of right leaning news sources to create viral headlines? Some DA breathing down the neck of the Chief to get some good press out there for the hounds to pounce on? The story is just too perfect to not be fabricated. Honestly the right's insistence on pushing this to the front of the media narrative is a little suspicious. Really I think we can conclude from all of this that he was No Angel, and all this media attention is doing is encouraging further criminality

Get hosed Carson, your poo poo was so transparent that even the GOP viewers saw through it. Shame about Cruz though, but all hail lord Trump, who is probably going to win because everybody else has boomers terrified for their social security

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It turns out that voting for Nader in 2000 immediately rocketed the world towards irreversible environmental collapse which will exterminate all human and most animal life, leading to a quiet green plant dominated Earth.

That probably was what the Green party wanted.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Is it true Bush made oil executives his environment advisers? Am I just imagining he did something similar like that?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stereotype posted:

It turns out that voting for Nader in 2000 immediately rocketed the world towards irreversible environmental collapse which will exterminate all human and most animal life, leading to a quiet green plant dominated Earth.

That probably was what the Green party wanted.

I'm just wondering if the right wing will return to the same universe as the rest of American politics before the world ends at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

Keeping it up had a number of assets to keeping the appearance going, including that people overstate Cheney's roll and view him as the source of evil, rather than attributing it to the fact that Bush him self was a loving disease. In the broader picture, since 1980 the GOP has been aggressively adopting Leo Strauss' theories of a national mythos as a means to political power, and Bush's staged demeanor plays right into what they were already doing with Reagan.

Go look at the videos of his debates when he was running for governor of Texas. Guy is every bit the articulate educated person you would expect a Ivy League educated rich man from Connecticut to me, not the illiterate but congenial cowboy.

Bush was such an incompetent fuckwit that his own party has written him out of history and when asked to name the greatest living president name dead ones rather than him. It's not just his folksy speech patterns (which are faked), it's that he really just didn't have a lot going on upstairs. There's countless stories from people who worked with him and were stunned by how little he thought about things and how little intellectual curiosity he had. You're confusing his changing how he spoke to hide his educated background with the fact that that education didn't take except on a superficial level.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Nonsense posted:

Is it true Bush made oil executives his environment advisers? Am I just imagining he did something similar like that?

Some quick searching on Wikipedia revealed that he appointed a "former" Petroleum lobbyist to the White House Council on Environmental Quality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/08/p...CF8F068FF9256B0

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nonsense posted:

Is it true Bush made oil executives his environment advisers?

You could say that, yes.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm just wondering if the right wing will return to the same universe as the rest of American politics before the world ends at this point.

They haven't been even tangentially part of objective reality for at least 30 years.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, I think they'll keep living a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

quote:

The sticky wicket, of course, is Alderaan. The Death Star destroyed Princess Leia’s adopted home world early on in “Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.” Pro-New Republic propagandists frequently point to this military action as unconscionably evil — ipso facto proof that The Empire was in the wrong. As Dylan Matthews bluntly put it when Bill Kristol (correctly) pointed out that there’s no real evidence that the Empire is evil, “They destroyed a f—— planet.”

Well, sure. But that was really the least bad of all the available options, if you take a moment to think about it.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

So when is the Rand Paul fake filibusterer? Some other geek is up there right now.

e: drat, guess it is already over

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Fried Chicken posted:

This is neither funny nor clever.

His name is Fuckface Von Clownstick
You're both wrong.

That's Republican Nominee Donglord "Fuckface Von Clownstick" Trump.:colbert:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

lamentable dustman posted:

So when is the Rand Paul fake filibusterer? Some other geek is up there right now.

It would be so great if other people managed to keep the floor until midnight, leaving Rand just an hour.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

lamentable dustman posted:

Happened earlier this afternoon. Lasted 18 minutes. He's doing media appearances now. Maybe he'll be back after dinner. Who knows? :shrug:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
:eyepop:

So Trump/Rubio/Cruz were the winners and Jeb!/Paul/Kasich were the losers.

Sounds about right actually, as terrifying as it bodes for the future.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Heh. I remember the old article he references coming up during the PRON HAUL days.

quote:

Make no mistake, as emperor, Palpatine is a dictator--but a relatively benign one, like Pinochet.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Stereotype posted:

They haven't been even tangentially part of objective reality for at least 30 years.

The GOP is a part of reality.

...just the echo chamber reality specially designed for a specific headcanon and reinforced since childhood (with authoritarian family/church structures) through adulthood (right-wing media sources). :ssh:

An intellectual walled garden, if you will.

Prester John's thread on authoritarianism is a great primer on this audience.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

eviltastic posted:

Heh. I remember the old article he references coming up during the PRON HAUL days.

Hah, posted that a few days ago in the Freep thread, so I'll repeat here what I said there: It's always Pinochet they come back to as the not-so-bad-when-you-think-about-it dictator, every goddamn time.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I take solace in the idea that every day the older republicans die and the younger democrats become eligible to vote. The electorate is trending further and further away from them.

Eventually the republicans will be forced to reconcile or be relegated to political obscurity. I mean, look at their nominees in the last two primaries that they thought/think have a chance in hell at a national election.

Hopefully the world will live long enough to actually see it!

(in the same way we'll eventually see cable TV go away, surely but slowly.)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hah, posted that a few days ago in the Freep thread, so I'll repeat here what I said there: It's always Pinochet they come back to as the not-so-bad-when-you-think-about-it dictator, every goddamn time.

Because most of them worked for the fucker

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Only recently did praising Franco stop being cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

Happened earlier this afternoon. Lasted 18 minutes. He's doing media appearances now. Maybe he'll be back after dinner. Who knows? :shrug:

The fact that he wears a business suit with shorts is awesome . Sorry, I hate Ron Paul but I'd respect him more if he showed up to a debate in sandals and a Hawaii shirt.

Also , he's the best looking candidate. Maybe after Rubio.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

Bush was such an incompetent fuckwit that his own party has written him out of history and when asked to name the greatest living president name dead ones rather than him. It's not just his folksy speech patterns (which are faked), it's that he really just didn't have a lot going on upstairs. There's countless stories from people who worked with him and were stunned by how little he thought about things and how little intellectual curiosity he had. You're confusing his changing how he spoke to hide his educated background with the fact that that education didn't take except on a superficial level.

Yeah Bush was an idiot; his performance was designed to hide his class signifiers, not his supposed intelligence. There's overlap between how those two aspects are signified but they're, at a fundamental level, not the same.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Also , he's the best looking candidate. Maybe after Rubio.

Rubio looks good like Tony Maguire looks good in Spiderman 3, i.e. not that good imo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dr. Ben Carson

@RealBenCarson

It is important to remember that amateurs built the Ark and it was the professionals that built the Titanic. @my_ccu

:wow:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

seiferguy posted:

Dr. Ben Carson

@RealBenCarson

It is important to remember that amateurs built the Ark and it was the professionals that built the Titanic. @my_ccu

It's amazing this man didn't amputate any legs on accident.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

seiferguy posted:

Dr. Ben Carson

@RealBenCarson

But who built the iceberg? Really makes you think, huh.

Ben Carson posted:

We seek your counsel Lord, for you are the answer – use these hands to heal, clear minds to receive your inspiration and wisdom, revive us.

The most terrifying thing about Ben Carson is that he's the only true believer of the group, and he's winning. (Huckabee just wants to be on TV)

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 29, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie / Biden 2016. VP for life. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

The Comments posted:

Anybody notice the author bases his entire argument on a wild logical leap from what appears to be a vague and shoddy assumption?

"We have further reason to disbelieve Princess Liar when we consider that her adopted father, Bail Organa, was one of the original members of the rebellion, conferring with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda in an effort to undermine the democratically elected Chancellor Palpatine shortly after his ascension. (KEY PASSAGE -->Wink Alderaan was less likely a peaceful planet than a financial and intellectual hub of the rebellion, whose leaders, as we’ve seen, are totally untrustworthy negotiating partners — a hive of scum and villainy no less wretched than Mos Eisley, but on a planetary scale ... So, Alderaan was a legitimate military target."

Seriously? That's it? You just say, "Alderaan probably was into some shady rebel stuff. I mean, we don't know for sure, but Alderaanians really suck, ya know? They're terrible. Thus, Alderaan was a legitimate target."

This piece is obviously analogous to our invasion of Iraq. The author may as well have just said, "We know Alderaan had yellow cake."

• Locked thread